Need a new knife

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, Preacher1011, steve-o, La. Hunter, lostpup, #1wingnut

Re: Need a new knife

Postby aunt betty » Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:31 pm

Theircommited10 wrote:AB who makes that knife ? Thanks .

I put that up as a joke. Cruel girl knife .
~$33.
http://www.knife-depot.com/knife-185396.html

Had a spiderco that I liked. Someone else liked it more. :smile:
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
hunter

Postby TXducksanddeer » Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:49 pm

I like the classics. A buck or a case pocket knife.
TXducksanddeer
hunter

Postby winchester1852 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:57 am

I always end up with a u.s.a buck knife they seem to be alright last one I had didn't take a edge worth chit but the buck 110 holds a edge very well it's a good solid knife.
if you can read this your almost as smart as a dolphin.
winchester1852
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:25 pm

ImageEvery day cheap gerber, every day .38, and a my hog killing knife.
beretta24
State Moderator

Need a new knife

Postby t_baker » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:31 pm

TXducksanddeer wrote:I like the classics. A buck or a case pocket knife.

I carry this every day also. Have for over ten years. Bought it for like ten bucks and it's always in my right pocket with a lighter and chap stick, reminds me of a small trapper. Never use it that often but always there when I want it. I think I found a spyderco that I am gonna try out. Be my first one. Image
t_baker
hunter

Postby uglymug » Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:48 pm

Dunns just posted that they are running a sale on Browning knives. It's posted in the HH.
uglymug
hunter

Postby bighop » Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:50 pm

Which spyderco?
Rick Hall 2016
He'll turn it all around. Unless he doesn't.
bighop
Sugar Daddy

Postby La. Hunter » Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:21 pm

I've lost my everyday Case knife somewhere within the last week, but that's what I carry. Also, if legal where you are, look at the benchmade autos. Autos are only legal now to be carried on duty, but I've been carrying one for about 12 years now and love it.
La. Hunter
Site Admin

Postby vincentpa » Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:55 am

waterfowlman wrote:I second Spyderco. Tough knives, hold their edge. I carry the all stainless police model quite a bit.

Those are some damn expensive knives. I carry a Leatherman Wave. It holds and edge well and has the added bonus of the other tools. I've been stuck in situations where these tools have come in handy and I was damn glad I bought that sucker. I generally don't carry a knife for self defense.

I used to have a front loaded switch blade I bought in Italy. My wife conveniently "lost" it when we first got married. It's still a sore spot in our marriage. She is half Puerto Rican. I figure she committed some kind of crime with it and needed to get rid of the evidence.

My father was a police officer. he used to have a box of knives he took from criminals. Most were cheap but there were a bunch of cheap side loaded switch blades, springs removed of course.

I have a WW 2 frogman's K- Bar. I don't want to ever part with that. I also have this bayonet my father gave me. I never got to ask him where he got it or what it actually was. It looks more ceremonial than for actual fighting.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1394373297.558420.jpg
In a free society, it is not the obligation of the citizen to prove to the government that he is a good person. It is the obligation of the government to prove to the rest of the citizenry that the citizen is a bad person, with probable cause.
vincentpa
hunter

Postby t_baker » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:13 am

t_baker
hunter

Postby KRB » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:34 am

DLT Trading usually has good price's. Would still check out the Bark River Mini fox in A2. Hold's an edge long time and convexed edge is easy to sharpen leather strop and green or black compound. But they carry many brands.
KRB
hunter

Postby talltimber » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:32 am

US owned era Schrade 30t
Great steel, easily sharpened to shaving level. If you do a lot of hacking around you won't like it, won't hold an edge for long doing that type of thing.
talltimber
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:14 pm

Was reading somewhere about the automatic knives. Turns out I have one and that got me to wondering if the danged thing is legal for me to have and in what states is it not legal to have. The knife is slicker than heck...push a little button and it unfolds by spring like a switch-blade. Not so sure I should be toting it around state to state like I been doing.

What states allow them and what states don't?
aunt betty
hunter

Postby t_baker » Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:18 pm

aunt betty wrote:Was reading somewhere about the automatic knives. Turns out I have one and that got me to wondering if the danged thing is legal for me to have and in what states is it not legal to have. The knife is slicker than heck...push a little button and it unfolds by spring like a switch-blade. Not so sure I should be toting it around state to state like I been doing.

This is the USA Betty. Tote that knife wherever you please. Unless your using it to gut hookers or murder CEO's I think you will be fine.
t_baker
hunter

Postby Botiz630 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:45 pm

aunt betty wrote:Was reading somewhere about the automatic knives. Turns out I have one and that got me to wondering if the danged thing is legal for me to have and in what states is it not legal to have. The knife is slicker than heck...push a little button and it unfolds by spring like a switch-blade. Not so sure I should be toting it around state to state like I been doing.

Oh I'd imagine yours is on the "don't" list.
B Squad Captain
If do right, no can defense
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby aunt betty » Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:54 pm

Botiz630 wrote:

I dunno and sure ain't going to go find a cop and say, "Is this legal to have?".
Probably get three answers from three policemen.
I'm gunna say no, it's not your everyday carrying around knife.
Blade is 2.5" long (gasp)
Cleans ducks well, is a pita to sharpen but that's good.
A hard to sharpen knife stays sharp longer. :thumbsup:
aunt betty
hunter

Postby Glimmerjim » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:11 pm

Botiz630 wrote:I had a Kershaw Leek with the assisted opening that I liked quite a bit until the airport took it away from me.

I think my next knife will be the SOG Flash.

I do that all the time, too. I am so used to carrying a knife I just forget. However, once I had a fully stainless steel knife. They pulled me aside to do the random wand over me and did NOT find it. I walked onto the plane with that knife. I wonder if it's the lower carbon in stainless that didn't set it off.
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby Glimmerjim » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:17 pm

aunt betty wrote:
Botiz630 wrote:

I dunno and sure ain't going to go find a cop and say, "Is this legal to have?".

I always carry an automatic. In CA it can be 2" long blade and be legal. There is a really nice 2" Schrade I carry most of the time, but I also have OTF's and regular switchblades, too. Stupid law to me. You can carry a freaking machete in a sheath on your belt, but a knife that is a little easier to open is illegal. I've got a Smith and Wesson 1600 OTF that is a really nice knife.
I just got used to them on the job, where I'd have something in one hand and have to grab and open my knife with the other hand. What is wrong with that? I used to work the Buck knives with various grades of abrasive until they were really nice gravity knives, but they don't like those either!
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:07 am

Glimmerjim wrote:
aunt betty wrote:
Botiz630 wrote:

I always carry an automatic. In CA it can be 2" long blade and be legal. There is a really nice 2" Schrade I carry most of the time, but I also have OTF's and regular switchblades, too. Stupid law to me. You can carry a freaking machete in a sheath on your belt, but a knife that is a little easier to open is illegal. I've got a Smith and Wesson 1600 OTF that is a really nice knife.
I just got used to them on the job, where I'd have something in one hand and have to grab and open my knife with the other hand. What is wrong with that? I used to work the Buck knives with various grades of abrasive until they were really nice gravity knives, but they don't like those either!

Your state keeps voting for liberals. It's only going to get worse.
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby ChasinTail » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:33 am

I've been carrying an automatic for years. Was a gift, had no idea I was carrying illegal until I started looking at them online. Have to be an active LEO or Military to carry one in KY, or have a CCW permit, which I don't have yet.

My favorite knife to carry though. Very handy to just pull it out and push the button. Mine is a Benchmade Mel Pardue 3550. Great knife, I recommend it if it's legal there.

Here's the different state laws on them if you're interested,

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Switchblade
ChasinTail
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:35 pm

I liked my spiderco. The big hole in the blade made it so I could open it one handed. That's handy as .....
aunt betty
hunter

Postby Glimmerjim » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:14 pm

t_baker wrote:Nobody got the reeves/walken joke did they

I finally did. I can be a tad slow at times! :lol3:
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby Glimmerjim » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:17 pm

Huntfish12 wrote:https://www.kleintools.com/catalog/pocket-knives-one-blade/compact-pocket-knife-2-58-67-mm-stainless-steel-drop-point-blade
I get these free from work. Super sharp right out of the package, like scarry sharp..

I was an electrician for years. Don't remember them for some reason. Nice looking knife.
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:17 am

The law in Illinois is gray. (Of course)
You can have a switchblade hunting knife. I guess it better be hunting season and better have a license.
Arkansas: very goofy wording.
If you intend to use the knife as a switchblade it's not legal. But if you intend to just use it as a knife is ok?
You can't take it anywhere that sells liquor. I'll leave the knife in my blind bag. Then it's a hunting knife for cleaning game.

How do you legally define your future intent?
aunt betty
hunter

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:13 am

And a Desert Eagle that's one great big ol' pistol
I mean .50 caliber made by badazz Hebrews
OHIODUCKA5
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to The Honey Hole