Bi-Focals

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, steve-o, Preacher1011, La. Hunter, lostpup, #1wingnut

What type of lens do you wear?

Poll ended at Tue Apr 12, 2005 7:59 am

split lens
100%
progressive lens
No votes

Total votes : 2

Bi-Focals

Postby Greg Wile » Sun Mar 13, 2005 7:59 am

How many of you wear bi-focals? I went to the eye doctor last week and he informed me that I had rounded yet another cornner in my life welcome to the world of bi-focals. How much of a pain are they to get used to? Which type of lens do you prefer? And why? Will I be able to shoot better or not as well with them??? :help:

Keep takin those shooting lessons, I think they're working cause your starting to get some tail feathers.
Greg Wile
hunter

Postby royst » Sun Mar 13, 2005 8:48 am

I use to wear the progressive lens before I had the lasik surgery. They were quite nice. It only took about a day to get use to them.
It's hell gettin old!
royst
hunter

Postby had » Sun Mar 13, 2005 9:42 am

hows you eyes after the surgery? i have been thinking about doing that.
This site is about having some fun, learning, helping others, and enjoying the commaradre' of other waterfowl hunters. And if you do not like those 4 things, then do not let the door hit you on the way out of here.
had
hunter

Postby shrpshtr » Sun Mar 13, 2005 10:17 am

i wear reading glasses now. bi-focals are in my future, according to my doc. from what i understand bi-focals are for a degenrative eye condition that is normal with aging. i have had 20/10 vision my whole life, my last checkup was 20/15 and i have started getting headaches from my eyes straining anytime i read a lot. (which is quite often in my career.) he says lasiks won't fix that problem. from what i gather, lasiks is only used to correct nearsightedness and a few instances of farsightedness but won't help with bi-focals. i could be wrong.
shrpshtr
hunter

Postby had » Sun Mar 13, 2005 10:54 am

i'm nearsighted. i would like to get lasik to improve my shooting and hunting vision.
This site is about having some fun, learning, helping others, and enjoying the commaradre' of other waterfowl hunters. And if you do not like those 4 things, then do not let the door hit you on the way out of here.
had
hunter

Postby quackkiller » Sun Mar 13, 2005 10:13 pm

I'm borderline near sighted. It's enough that I need glasses to see some things but I don't usually ever have to wear em. Although they do clear things up better, especially if I'm watching t.v. or something from across the room. They also help a lot when I'm hunting because I can see things that are far away much better.
quackkiller
hunter

Postby mallardhunter » Sun Mar 13, 2005 10:16 pm

Don't wear glasses, and I hope I don't have to, other wise I think they will really bother me when I am shooting or working.
Keep working millions on welfare depend on you!!!
If hunting is a sport I am the M.V.P.
www.goosehuntingchat.com
www.nodakoutdoors.com
mallardhunter
hunter

Postby h2ofwlr » Sun Mar 13, 2005 10:20 pm

Oh boy.... Bifocal progressive suck big time IMO. I had major headaches still 5 weeks after getting them and I absouletly HATED all the fuzzy out of focus areas in the lense. You have to turn your head to focus, or up and down VS move your eyes. There is only a small sweet spot where it is clear. And when lying in a blind, the horizon was blurry-absolutely sucked for watching for geese. At arms reach most everything was blurry-yeah right a brick layer not being able to clearly see what he is doing! :thumbsdown: And then I damned near literally killed myself on the job wearing progressive-I could not clearly see depth perception as I was walking the first 5' in front of me--stumbled on something and fell into a trench with rebars sticking up out of the concrete-and got lucky and fell 1' to the side of one of them rebars. Can you say ShishkaBob? :pissed: I was adding the plastic "protectors" on them rerods so if somebody did what I just did (fall), they would not get seriously impailed. Talk about Irony.

I got instead the lined bi-focals, they are much better IMO. I have fairly large lenses so more area is clearly in focus [the "style" is granny small lenses-(screw that!)it is fairly hard to find bigger frames], and only 10mm (usually much more area) of magnifified for reading--and they screwed that up too as is is set for about 10" away-not 14 to 16" away like when I read a book or newspaper, heck at 7" away I can read clearly, so they screwed up the distance IMO.

In the future--I'll get 2 pairs, one for reading and one for my nearsightedness. Bifocals suck IMO.

Anyways, ask lots of questions, and make sure you get the correct distance to focus for the specks.
The Audacity of Bull Crap.
"Typical: Gun-loving, bitter bible-thumping white person" Barack Obama.
Hey I resemble that comment!!! Those are FIGHTING WORDS!!!
h2ofwlr
Forum & State Moderator

Postby royst » Mon Mar 14, 2005 7:02 am

I had the surgery in 98. It was the best thing I have ever done. I was legally blind without my glasses. and I now see 20/15. I do have to wear cheap store bought reading glasses though. Small price to pay.
royst
hunter

Postby SCoutdoorsman » Mon Mar 14, 2005 3:04 pm

mallardhunter wrote:Don't wear glasses, and I hope I don't have to, other wise I think they will really bother me when I am shooting or working.

Same here.
Everyone must believe in something and I believe I'll go hunting. When men bond something must die.
SCoutdoorsman
Forum & State Moderator

Return to The Honey Hole