Maple syrup time for some of us...

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, steve-o, Preacher1011, lostpup, La. Hunter, #1wingnut

Re: Maple syrup time for some of us...

Postby Leaky-NY » Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:41 pm

I have a cabin up in the Adironacks and will be going up the first of April to open it. I always pick up a few gallons of fresh syrup. I use it as trade for hunting on some properties and myself. Love that fresh stuff way better on the cakes :yes:

Leaky
If it aint ducks, Dogs or boats I cant talk now!
Leaky-NY
hunter

Postby xrated » Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:36 pm

try it on some vanilla ice cream.
Run What Ya Brung
xrated
hunter

Postby Boocephus » Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:18 pm

xrated wrote:try it on some vanilla ice cream.

Real good on ice cream
Boocephus
hunter

Postby Swanny » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:00 pm

Just tapped about 15 trees on my property this afternoon. Fun little hobby. This is my second year and still working out some kinks and figuring out the boiling process to get the finished syrup just right.
Swanny
hunter

Postby Boocephus » Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:27 pm

cluckmeister wrote:xrated, thanks for the pictures, Ive always found Maple Sap gathering and the making of the syrup interesting. Im not sure how the old fellow we bought ours from when we were in Vermont cooks his, but its excellent, he explained they tap 4 times a season. The first tap is the grade A Fancy and its the lightest color of the syrup and the color gets darker with each of the other 3 tappings. He said he owned 640 acres of maples and the land had been passed down since the late 1700s.

Cluckmeister, do you mean theres 4 times a year you can tap trees, I thought you could only do it at a certain temp
Boocephus
hunter

Postby xrated » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:14 am

Boocephus wrote:
cluckmeister wrote:xrated, thanks for the pictures, Ive always found Maple Sap gathering and the making of the syrup interesting. Im not sure how the old fellow we bought ours from when we were in Vermont cooks his, but its excellent, he explained they tap 4 times a season. The first tap is the grade A Fancy and its the lightest color of the syrup and the color gets darker with each of the other 3 tappings. He said he owned 640 acres of maples and the land had been passed down since the late 1700s.

Cluckmeister, do you mean theres 4 times a year you can tap trees, I thought you could only do it at a certain temp

It might run 4 different times within a time frame before the season is done. Sugar content will change, etc.

IMO the darker stuff tastes better.

In theory you can get sap anytime after the thaw...but once a tree buds out the sap turns bitter.
Run What Ya Brung
xrated
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:18 am

Boocephus wrote:

Cluckmeister, do you mean theres 4 times a year you can tap trees, I thought you could only do it at a certain temp[/quote\

The old fellow I talked with said trees are tapped 4 times and with each tapping the sap gets darker, thus the 4 different grades of syrup. But it does need to reach a certain temperature before the first tapping. I forgot to ask him how long the period was between each tapping. I like any of the four grades but the Grade A fancy is my favorite. He also said the state of Vermont has its own grading system.
If you're there for the limit, you're there for the wrong reason
cluckmeister
State Moderator

Postby cluckmeister » Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:51 pm

Boocephus, I did a bit of research and here is something I found out about the time frame for gathering sap

Generally the sap starts to flow between mid-February and mid-March. The exact time of year depends upon where you live and weather conditions. Sap flows when daytime temperatures rise above freezing (32 degrees Fahrenheit / 0 Celsius) and nighttime temperatures fall below freezing. The rising temperature creates pressure in the tree generating the sap flow. This is basically a transfer of the sap from the tree above the ground and the root system below the ground. The sap generally flows for 4 to 6 weeks, with the best sap produced early on in the sap-flowing season.

Different regions grade maple syrup differently. Within the US, there are slight differences in grading standards, but between the US and Canada, the grades are substantially different. The US grading system contains the following grades:
•Grade A Light Amber: A light amber color, with a light and mild maple flavor.
•Grade A Medium Amber: A medium amber color, with a bit more maple flavor. This is the most popular grade for table use.
•Grade A Dark Amber: A dark amber color, with a strong maple flavor.
•Grade B: Dark in color, generally used for cooking and baking.

The grades correspond to the point in the season the syrup was produced. Grade A Light Amber utilizes sap from the earliest point in the season and Grade B from the latest point in the season.

More info about making syrup etc is tapmytrees.com
cluckmeister
State Moderator

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:18 pm

Any of you guys ever sell this stuff?
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:11 pm

JuniorPre 360 wrote:Any of you guys ever sell this stuff?

Junior, In the last five years. Ive bought maple syrup from several online sellers, not knowing if they were the middle man or , actual producer, also, Ive tried it from different states and my favorite comes from Vermont. The old fellow I bought mine from owns the farm as I said in one of the posts and has been involved all of his life in the business. I haven't tasted any better than what he produces. I like the Grade A Fancy as it has a very light maple bouquet to it

you can get from Whetstone Valley Farm
60 Cooke Road
West Brattleboro VT, 05301
802 257 0597

Give them a call they are super people to deal with and the prices a very reasonable
cluckmeister
State Moderator

Postby Boocephus » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:50 pm

Thanks for the info cluckmeister
Boocephus
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:07 pm

Boo you are welcome
cluckmeister
State Moderator

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:55 am

Yes, thanks a lot :thumbsup:
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:13 am

Junior, you are welcome

BTW, I had some this morning on some pancakes, Amish sausage, fresh cut hash browns and a pot of Café Du Monde coffee .

A fellow cant get much better in my book
cluckmeister
State Moderator

Postby Bill Herian » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:40 am

After this morning's pancake breakfast I can say the streak lives. I have never once had maple syrup that tasted as good as the stuff you buy in the store.

If I ever do it I'm going 70:1. Maybe that will help.
Bill Herian
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:57 pm

Bill Herian wrote:After this morning's pancake breakfast I can say the streak lives. I have never once had maple syrup that tasted as good as the stuff you buy in the store.

Jehler makes some very good syrup....
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Bill Herian » Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:13 pm

Jehler and I have had this conversation.

I like the real stuff. I like the idea of making it yourself, and the nostalgia evoked therein. If I had little kids to mule all that crap around, I'd be out there right now.

However.

In a straight taste test, where we don't have to worry about hurting anyone's feelings, or besmirching the traditions of our predecessors, the honest man gives the nod to store bought.
Bill Herian
hunter

Postby xrated » Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:23 pm

^^^^whatever you guys are smoking and drinking must be some damn good stuff or it has ruined your taste buds. That's like saying there is no difference between cultivated and actual wild rice...or that cultivated tastes better.
Run What Ya Brung
xrated
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:25 pm

Bill Herian wrote:After this morning's pancake breakfast I can say the streak lives. I have never once had maple syrup that tasted as good as the stuff you buy in the store.

Bet you like a McDonald's hamburger over a homemade one too.... :sarcmark: :hammer: :wink:

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Eric Haynes » Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:56 pm

cluckmeister wrote:
JuniorPre 360 wrote:Any of you guys ever sell this stuff?

Junior, In the last five years. Ive bought maple syrup from several online sellers, not knowing if they were the middle man or , actual producer, also, Ive tried it from different states and my favorite comes from Vermont. The old fellow I bought mine from owns the farm as I said in one of the posts and has been involved all of his life in the business. I haven't tasted any better than what he produces. I like the Grade A Fancy as it has a very light maple bouquet to it

you can get from Whetstone Valley Farm
60 Cooke Road
West Brattleboro VT, 05301
802 257 0597

Give them a call they are super people to deal with and the prices a very reasonable

The only difference in VTs syrup is that they take there syrup to 68 bricks to be considered "pure vermont syrup."

If you want yours to taste like it, bring it to 68 rather than the normal 66. Altitude plays a big role while finishing too.

Sent from my LG-L38C using Tapatalk 2
Eric Haynes
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:58 pm

Eric, please explain to a flat lander about the bricks, also since you seem to be well informed on the subject, Ive searched for a answer to this question and haven't found a answer. Does the PH content and type of soil make a difference in the taste of the finished product? Thanks
cluckmeister
State Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:01 pm

cluckmeister wrote:Eric, please explain to a flat lander about the bricks, also since you seem to be well informed on the subject, Ive searched for a answer to this question and haven't found a answer. Does the PH content and type of soil make a difference in the taste of the finished product? Thanks

He meant "Brix"...

refers to the sugar content of the final syrup:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brix

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:05 pm

^^^^also, as the sugar solution concentrates, the boiling point rises. there are methods to measure sugar content by temperature. Most sugar jellies are boiled to ~223* F.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby cluckmeister » Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:16 pm

Thanks for the info , what about the ph and type of soil
cluckmeister
State Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:18 pm

cluckmeister wrote:Thanks for the info , what about the ph and type of soil

no clue on how that affects the syrup.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to The Honey Hole