Building a levee

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, Preacher1011, steve-o, La. Hunter, lostpup, #1wingnut

Re: Building a levee

Postby aunt betty » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:05 am

SPatrick wrote:I am currently sitting on two of the worst placed pits in North America!!! We would have moved our big one last spring but we were under water until july, and with the draw down in place we would not have been able to put a high lift on the ground until at least September!!! Every time I see that pit, it drives me crazy. The folks before us payed someone to come and drop it in, the guy was a genius because all he did was dig down about 4 inches and pile dirt around the pit, saved himself tons of labor lol. We call it the pitchers mound, its a nightmare...

I've seen a couple messed up jobs. Pitts, Arkansas comes immediately to mind.
I saw a pit just like you described that basically had a tarp hung from some sticks to hide it.
Crackin me up thinking about it and who would hunt it.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
hunter

Postby duxrok » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:21 pm

I hope this doesn't post like 4 times. I keep trying to respond and I am not seeing my response....so...last try...HA!

The South end is a long hill that ends in the middle of the field where the field lays out. The north end of the field that we are wanting to flood is completely flat to the eye. We are going to have a survey company come out and shoot the field for us to let us know exactly how much water we would hold at different levee heights (18"/24"). If they can make us a topo map - that would be perfect!!!

Our plan is to levee the N end, and then at the end of season, we have access to a backhoe to knock out the levee for drainage at least the first year. We want to know this field is going to produce for us before sinking the money for a control structure. We find that this field is going to be successful, then we will definitely be putting in a flashboard control structure.

For now though - the farmer has a backhoe that we can use. One of the hunters in our group is the farmers son, so using the equipment is certain. Also - since we have access to all the farmers equipment, yes - we have tractors that will pull about anything made to be pulled. That's why we also considered renting the levee plow because we have a tractor to pull it. Since we are having no luck finding one from where we are - we are trying to come up with options.

We plan to leave all but a small section of the levee (where we plan to drain) once it is up and established, we are thinking that the levee build is a one time thing on 95% of the levee. We may just end up renting / contracting a dozer to get the work done.

Thanks for all the replies. They are very much appreciated!!!
duxrok
Newb

Postby aunt betty » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:47 pm

duxrok wrote:I hope this doesn't post like 4 times. I keep trying to respond and I am not seeing my response....so...last try...HA!

The South end is a long hill that ends in the middle of the field where the field lays out. The north end of the field that we are wanting to flood is completely flat to the eye. We are going to have a survey company come out and shoot the field for us to let us know exactly how much water we would hold at different levee heights (18"/24"). If they can make us a topo map - that would be perfect!!!

Our plan is to levee the N end, and then at the end of season, we have access to a backhoe to knock out the levee for drainage at least the first year. We want to know this field is going to produce for us before sinking the money for a control structure. We find that this field is going to be successful, then we will definitely be putting in a flashboard control structure.

For now though - the farmer has a backhoe that we can use. One of the hunters in our group is the farmers son, so using the equipment is certain. Also - since we have access to all the farmers equipment, yes - we have tractors that will pull about anything made to be pulled. That's why we also considered renting the levee plow because we have a tractor to pull it. Since we are having no luck finding one from where we are - we are trying to come up with options.

We plan to leave all but a small section of the levee (where we plan to drain) once it is up and established, we are thinking that the levee build is a one time thing on 95% of the levee. We may just end up renting / contracting a dozer to get the work done.

Thanks for all the replies. They are very much appreciated!!!

We used a double levee around the pit we put in two years ago. One really windy day there were white caps in our field. We had flooded about 50 acres and lost one levee. THAT's why we did the double or we would have lost all our water. You might want to consider doing that too. Our levees were about 2 feet tall.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
hunter

Previous

Return to The Honey Hole