Creating food plot in current pond

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, steve-o, Preacher1011, La. Hunter, lostpup, #1wingnut

Creating food plot in current pond

Postby C.J. » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:56 am

Here are some pictures of our current pond, we are draining it as we speak and it should be dry enough in a few weeks to drive on it. I plan to take a dozer and flatten out both side of the pond since the channel runs right down the middle, will this kill all the reeds that have grown up or would I still need to spray? My plan is to level out the entire plot and plant rice and jap millet on the entire area. I can control the water depth any suggestions on getting all the current vegetation out?ImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
C.J.
hunter

Re: Creating food plot in current pond

Postby Rick Hall » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:46 am

Far from my field of expertise, but when I asked a very experienced marsh buggy operator who was opening runs for us about spraying, he suggested that spraying before doing the dirt work, rather than waiting to spray what came up through it, produced longer lasting results. We followed his advice with apparently good result. But that's the extent of my experience.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby SPatrick » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:20 am

That looks like river bull rush possibly, not 100%. Like Rick said I would spray and then disc in order to get the best results. I forget which herbicide knocks that stuff out best, but if is a rush you want to get rid of it, because it will choke out your millets quick.
Shaun Patrick
Avery Prostaff
HEVI-Shot Prostaff
SPatrick
State Moderator

Postby KAhunter » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:13 am

How big is the open area? How dry can you keep it during the growing season?? If it has good drainage and doesnt have much standing water in summer I would look at corn.
"If you have to be crazy to be a duck hunter, i dont wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

Its always duck season, there is just a long break from february to september.
KAhunter
hunter

Postby C.J. » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:51 am

KAhunter wrote:How big is the open area? How dry can you keep it during the growing season?? If it has good drainage and doesnt have much standing water in summer I would look at corn.

it is about 1.5 acres in the open area, I can make it dry enough to drive a tractor in it. we wanted to plant corn (and still might) but it is on the river and we thought coons would take it out before duck season, also we have randomly seen pigs which would devastate the corn, I run traps for both year round
C.J.
hunter

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:54 am

C.J. wrote:
KAhunter wrote:How big is the open area? How dry can you keep it during the growing season?? If it has good drainage and doesnt have much standing water in summer I would look at corn.

it is about 1.5 acres in the open area, I can make it dry enough to drive a tractor in it. we wanted to plant corn (and still might) but it is on the river and we thought coons would take it out before duck season, also we have randomly seen pigs which would devastate the corn, I run traps for both year round

Plant the corn late. Spray with Roundup disk put in your millet, Go back in late July early Aug and plant short growing season corn.
I hope someday someone remembers this old dog with kindness and gives me to a puppy.

-Gene Hill
OHIODUCKA5
hunter

Postby ibedamn » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:28 am

C.J. wrote:

Ours is also on a river and we use corn and millet. No pigs but, plenty of beaver, coons, and many muskrats. The muskrat holes have almost drained ours a couple of times. They are a real problem. We trap em, but every time you check the traps you run the ducks off. Not a good thing. Hope you don't have where you live.
ibedamn
hunter

Postby KAhunter » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:34 pm

OHIODUCKA5 wrote:
C.J. wrote:

Plant the corn late. Spray with Roundup disk put in your millet, Go back in late July early Aug and plant short growing season corn.

Be careful with planting corn so late. If you go late with corn you run a decent risk of not getting any corn to grow. You need those spring rains to get the corn going. Good chance to not get anough rain planting corn in mid or late summer. It could work , but its a big gamble
Last edited by KAhunter on Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If you have to be crazy to be a duck hunter, i dont wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

KAhunter
hunter

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:38 pm

KAhunter wrote:
OHIODUCKA5 wrote:
C.J. wrote:

I disagree. If you go late with corn you run a decent risk of not getting any corn to grow. You need those spring rains to get the corn going. Good chance to not get anough rain planting corn in mid or late summer. It could work , but its a big gamble

Possibly depending on where he is at. But if you are going to flood it in the fall anyway you could irrigate maybe?
I hope someday someone remembers this old dog with kindness and gives me to a puppy.

-Gene Hill
OHIODUCKA5
hunter

Postby KAhunter » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:42 pm

C.J. wrote:

Sucks you have so many critters to deal with. I trap coons and possums and cats and such as well as put out deterrents for deer. Its a pain but it works. I am worried about squirrels this year we have a ton last year. I also put out a scarecrow or two to keep crows and turkeys out of it. If you can plant corn, I would go with that.

KAhunter
hunter

Postby Rat Creek » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:57 am

Corn can be finicky in less than ideal conditions. And the deer and critters will have their way. We have a similar looking wooded pot hole and have tried corn before with sketchy results.

We have never tried rice, but I know you will be pleased with Japanese millet or milo. The only drawback with Japanese millet is the thin stalks do not hold up well once it has gone to seed and you have water on it. Not a huge thing but it degrades pretty quickly. Ducks do love it though.

And no matter what you do, you will have tons of weeds growing which is a good thing, but also why I think the millet and milo will do better in the environment.
Rat Creek
Rat Creek
hunter

Postby C.J. » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:05 am

Im in North GA, I am planning on spraying the entire area, burning and plow, then throwing out as much millet as possible with some smartweed mixed in. I am only going to raise the water as little as possible so it doesn't go above the seed head.
C.J.
hunter

Return to The Honey Hole