So I want to buy a gun

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, steve-o, Preacher1011, La. Hunter, lostpup, #1wingnut

So I want to buy a gun

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:06 am

I need a new gun. I got plenty of pistols so I'm looking for a Pre 1964 Winchester model 70 in .257 Roberts . Or a Kimber rifle maybe in .25-06. I want something different.


GO.
I hope someday someone remembers this old dog with kindness and gives me to a puppy.

-Gene Hill
User avatar
OHIODUCKA5
hunter
 
Posts: 12414
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:46 pm
Location: Ohio


Re: So I want to buy a gun

Postby clampdaddy » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:16 am

Mark V in .257 Weatherby. Always wanted one.
User avatar
clampdaddy
hunter
 
Posts: 3622
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 9:23 pm
Location: Where spoonies go to die

Re: So I want to buy a gun

Postby Rick Hall » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:28 am

OHIODUCKA5 wrote:I'm looking for a Pre 1964 Winchester model 70 in .257 Roberts


Jack O'Connor would be proud.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
User avatar
Rick Hall
hunter
 
Posts: 13510
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:03 pm

Re: So I want to buy a gun

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:32 am

Rick Hall wrote:
OHIODUCKA5 wrote:I'm looking for a Pre 1964 Winchester model 70 in .257 Roberts


Jack O'Connor would be proud.


I have a thing about American Walnut and real bluing. I heard and read that a .257 is a tack driver too
I hope someday someone remembers this old dog with kindness and gives me to a puppy.

-Gene Hill
User avatar
OHIODUCKA5
hunter
 
Posts: 12414
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:46 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: So I want to buy a gun

Postby clampdaddy » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:49 am

Rick Hall wrote:
OHIODUCKA5 wrote:I'm looking for a Pre 1964 Winchester model 70 in .257 Roberts


Jack O'Connor would be proud.

Elmer Keith wouldn't. :lol3:
User avatar
clampdaddy
hunter
 
Posts: 3622
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 9:23 pm
Location: Where spoonies go to die

Re: So I want to buy a gun

Postby Rick Hall » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:53 am

No, he'd have to get a potato gun to make Keith happy.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
User avatar
Rick Hall
hunter
 
Posts: 13510
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:03 pm

Re: So I want to buy a gun

Postby clampdaddy » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:54 am

OHIODUCKA5 wrote: ....... I heard and read that a .257 is a tack driver too

I have a buddy that is really in to rifles in .257 Roberts and it seems like most every one he has is a shooter. My 25-06 shoots deer weight bullets best when throttled back, closer to Roberts velocities. Varmint bullets are another story though. The harder I push them the better they shoot.
User avatar
clampdaddy
hunter
 
Posts: 3622
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 9:23 pm
Location: Where spoonies go to die

Re: So I want to buy a gun

Postby Gj325 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:55 am

clampdaddy wrote:Mark V in .257 Weatherby. Always wanted one.


I have a 257 STW Hot Tamale. Shoots 90 grain bullet at 4100 fps it's a tack driver and instant death.
Gordon WPS
Gj325
hunter
 
Posts: 200
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:39 pm

Re: So I want to buy a gun

Postby 18javelin » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:55 am

Buddy has a sweet Wetherby .338-06 for sale ammo, brass, and reloading dies has a luepold variX2 3X10 on it. You want it?
Underradar wrote:Well, its sad really. One day he's happily posting pics of road killed coyotes he posed as if he shot them, the next, he's stomped down the shower drain like a soft turd.
User avatar
18javelin
hunter
 
Posts: 3414
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:01 am
Location: Eckerty IN

Re: So I want to buy a gun

Postby Dep6 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:57 am

I shot one years back that was a tack driver, sweet shooting gun it was!!
Saving the Poodles of America, one Alligator at a time!!
User avatar
Dep6
Site Admin
 
Posts: 6431
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:17 pm
Location: GA

Re: So I want to buy a gun

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:57 am

18javelin wrote:Buddy has a sweet Wetherby .338-06 for sale ammo, brass, and reloading dies has a luepold variX2 3X10 on it. You want it?


No that's a hell of a gun though.
I hope someday someone remembers this old dog with kindness and gives me to a puppy.

-Gene Hill
User avatar
OHIODUCKA5
hunter
 
Posts: 12414
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:46 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: So I want to buy a gun

Postby Botiz630 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:02 am

18javelin wrote:Buddy has a sweet Wetherby .338-06 for sale ammo, brass, and reloading dies has a luepold variX2 3X10 on it. You want it?


Jav does Indiana allow rifles for deer?
Holy Molly
User avatar
Botiz630
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 16407
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:24 pm
Location: Indiana

Re: So I want to buy a gun

Postby 18javelin » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:22 am

Botiz630 wrote:
18javelin wrote:Buddy has a sweet Wetherby .338-06 for sale ammo, brass, and reloading dies has a luepold variX2 3X10 on it. You want it?


Jav does Indiana allow rifles for deer?


No just slugs, and pistol cartridge in a rifle... Buddy bought this at a sale and realized 3 years later he never shoots it. I think he was wanting to do some trading around with it. He just decided sell it a week ago cant remember what he wanted. Its a feather weight rifle Truly a mountain mans gun...
Last edited by 18javelin on Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Underradar wrote:Well, its sad really. One day he's happily posting pics of road killed coyotes he posed as if he shot them, the next, he's stomped down the shower drain like a soft turd.
User avatar
18javelin
hunter
 
Posts: 3414
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:01 am
Location: Eckerty IN

Re: So I want to buy a gun

Postby OGblackcloud » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:26 am

Super Soaker ! Walmart , Summer is coming at least that's what they say
User avatar
OGblackcloud
hunter
 
Posts: 12849
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:38 pm

Re: So I want to buy a gun

Postby cluckmeister » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:09 am

OHIODUCKA5 wrote:I need a new gun. I got plenty of pistols so I'm looking for a Pre 1964 Winchester model 70 in .257 Roberts . Or a Kimber rifle maybe in .25-06. I want something different.


GO.


Ohio check this out on Gunbroker.com, its a real cherry\ the item number is # 403237728

Winchester Pre 64 Model 70, .257 Roberts Serial Number 149,476, Made in 1950. Mint bore, Mint throat, with a Beautiful dark walnut stock. This has the Great old 22 G Rear-sight with a mint hood of the front sight. It is Factory drilled and tapped for scope mounts. All original and perfect! Long extractor, Matching serial numbered Bolt, Vivid markings. Steel checkered buttplate, and factory swivels. This 257 Roberts is a Very Highly Desirable caliber in the Pre 1964 Model 70 Winchesters. This is undeniably a Collector quality Beauty that is seldom found in this condition anymore ! There is no label or written serial number on this Winchester box that I can see. Regardless, it's the way I bought it long ago. …… 99.9% $3995 Like new in the box.
If you're there for the limit, you're there for the wrong reason
cluckmeister
hunter
 
Posts: 1924
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:41 pm
Location: Central Kansas

Re: So I want to buy a gun

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:11 am

cluckmeister wrote:
OHIODUCKA5 wrote:I need a new gun. I got plenty of pistols so I'm looking for a Pre 1964 Winchester model 70 in .257 Roberts . Or a Kimber rifle maybe in .25-06. I want something different.


GO.


Ohio check this out on Gunbroker.com, its a real cherry\ the item number is # 403237728

Winchester Pre 64 Model 70, .257 Roberts Serial Number 149,476, Made in 1950. Mint bore, Mint throat, with a Beautiful dark walnut stock. This has the Great old 22 G Rear-sight with a mint hood of the front sight. It is Factory drilled and tapped for scope mounts. All original and perfect! Long extractor, Matching serial numbered Bolt, Vivid markings. Steel checkered buttplate, and factory swivels. This 257 Roberts is a Very Highly Desirable caliber in the Pre 1964 Model 70 Winchesters. This is undeniably a Collector quality Beauty that is seldom found in this condition anymore ! There is no label or written serial number on this Winchester box that I can see. Regardless, it's the way I bought it long ago. …… 99.9% $3995 Like new in the box.


I seen that one. :drool: . little out of my price range
I hope someday someone remembers this old dog with kindness and gives me to a puppy.

-Gene Hill
User avatar
OHIODUCKA5
hunter
 
Posts: 12414
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:46 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: So I want to buy a gun

Postby charlie beard » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:41 am

OHIODUCKA5 wrote:
cluckmeister wrote:
OHIODUCKA5 wrote:I need a new gun. I got plenty of pistols so I'm looking for a Pre 1964 Winchester model 70 in .257 Roberts . Or a Kimber rifle maybe in .25-06. I want something different.


GO.


Ohio check this out on Gunbroker.com, its a real cherry\ the item number is # 403237728

Winchester Pre 64 Model 70, .257 Roberts Serial Number 149,476, Made in 1950. Mint bore, Mint throat, with a Beautiful dark walnut stock. This has the Great old 22 G Rear-sight with a mint hood of the front sight. It is Factory drilled and tapped for scope mounts. All original and perfect! Long extractor, Matching serial numbered Bolt, Vivid markings. Steel checkered buttplate, and factory swivels. This 257 Roberts is a Very Highly Desirable caliber in the Pre 1964 Model 70 Winchesters. This is undeniably a Collector quality Beauty that is seldom found in this condition anymore ! There is no label or written serial number on this Winchester box that I can see. Regardless, it's the way I bought it long ago. …… 99.9% $3995 Like new in the box.


I seen that one. :drool: . little out of my price range


Most all pre 64 Mod. 70s are going to be high.
They are highly sought after.
I have a pre 64 Mod 70 Super Grade 220 Swift and regular Hornet.

Dave Riffle guns have many pre 64 Winchesters click the link. Warning better have (DEEP) pockets.
Well worth the look will give you an idea.
I have dealt with him over the years.
daverifflegunsales.com
"If you put the Federal Government in charge of the Sahara desert,
in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand"
charlie beard
hunter
 
Posts: 2236
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:13 am
Location: West Central IL.

Re: So I want to buy a gun

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:45 am

charlie beard wrote:
OHIODUCKA5 wrote:
cluckmeister wrote:
OHIODUCKA5 wrote:I need a new gun. I got plenty of pistols so I'm looking for a Pre 1964 Winchester model 70 in .257 Roberts . Or a Kimber rifle maybe in .25-06. I want something different.


GO.


Ohio check this out on Gunbroker.com, its a real cherry\ the item number is # 403237728

Winchester Pre 64 Model 70, .257 Roberts Serial Number 149,476, Made in 1950. Mint bore, Mint throat, with a Beautiful dark walnut stock. This has the Great old 22 G Rear-sight with a mint hood of the front sight. It is Factory drilled and tapped for scope mounts. All original and perfect! Long extractor, Matching serial numbered Bolt, Vivid markings. Steel checkered buttplate, and factory swivels. This 257 Roberts is a Very Highly Desirable caliber in the Pre 1964 Model 70 Winchesters. This is undeniably a Collector quality Beauty that is seldom found in this condition anymore ! There is no label or written serial number on this Winchester box that I can see. Regardless, it's the way I bought it long ago. …… 99.9% $3995 Like new in the box.


I seen that one. :drool: . little out of my price range


Most all pre 64 Mod. 70s are going to be high.
They are highly sought after.
I have a pre 64 Mod 70 Super Grade 220 Swift and regular Hornet.

Dave Riffle guns have many pre 64 Winchesters click the link. Warning better have (DEEP) pockets.
Well worth the look will give you an idea.
I have dealt with him over the years.
daverifflegunsales.com


I've seen some that are in the 15 hundred to 2 grand range. I know most in that ballpark wont have the same SN bolt or or something like that.
I hope someday someone remembers this old dog with kindness and gives me to a puppy.

-Gene Hill
User avatar
OHIODUCKA5
hunter
 
Posts: 12414
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:46 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: So I want to buy a gun

Postby TomKat » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:50 am

I bought my 1961 Model 70 in 30-06. For about $800 5 years ago. Its a shooter and a beauty
Image
User avatar
TomKat
Dorothy
 
Posts: 11501
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:18 am
Location: NE Kansas

Re: So I want to buy a gun

Postby KRB » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:59 am

Check out CZ they make very sharp, very accurate mauser action bolt's.
KRB
hunter
 
Posts: 1771
Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:12 pm
Location: South Shore LI

Re: So I want to buy a gun

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:01 pm

KRB wrote:Check out CZ they make very sharp, very accurate mauser action bolt's.


Yeah I've seen them.
I hope someday someone remembers this old dog with kindness and gives me to a puppy.

-Gene Hill
User avatar
OHIODUCKA5
hunter
 
Posts: 12414
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:46 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: So I want to buy a gun

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:01 pm

Anyone shoot a Kimber rifle?
I hope someday someone remembers this old dog with kindness and gives me to a puppy.

-Gene Hill
User avatar
OHIODUCKA5
hunter
 
Posts: 12414
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:46 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: So I want to buy a gun

Postby cluckmeister » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:09 pm

Ohio since you have plenty of pistols, sell some of the ones that you really don't shoot and buy the cherry Model 70.

You will probably never regret the exchange.

A couple of years ago I found a beautiful NIB 2nd generation Colt Single Action Army with pre ban Ivory grips. it too was a bit out of my price range. One night, I was sitting on the patio sipping a cold one when a thought came to mind, Ive got 6 deer guns and really only shoot 2 of them, so I sold a couple of them, and bingo, I had that Colt. I've never regretted it especially since the value of the Colt has gone up a lot more than the 2 rifles I sold
If you're there for the limit, you're there for the wrong reason
cluckmeister
hunter
 
Posts: 1924
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:41 pm
Location: Central Kansas

Re: So I want to buy a gun

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:17 pm

cluckmeister wrote:Ohio since you have plenty of pistols, sell some of the ones that you really don't shoot and buy the cherry Model 70.

You will probably never regret the exchange.

A couple of years ago I found a beautiful NIB 2nd generation Colt Single Action Army with pre ban Ivory grips. it too was a bit out of my price range. One night, I was sitting on the patio sipping a cold one when a thought came to mind, Ive got 6 deer guns and really only shoot 2 of them, so I sold a couple of them, and bingo, I had that Colt. I've never regretted it especially since the value of the Colt has gone up a lot more than the 2 rifles I sold


I might do that. keep the 2 colts the Model 41 and the kimber. sell the contender the GP 100 and one or 2 of the .22's. hummm
I hope someday someone remembers this old dog with kindness and gives me to a puppy.

-Gene Hill
User avatar
OHIODUCKA5
hunter
 
Posts: 12414
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:46 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: So I want to buy a gun

Postby cluckmeister » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:40 pm

OHIODUCKA5 wrote:
cluckmeister wrote:Ohio since you have plenty of pistols, sell some of the ones that you really don't shoot and buy the cherry Model 70.

You will probably never regret the exchange.

A couple of years ago I found a beautiful NIB 2nd generation Colt Single Action Army with pre ban Ivory grips. it too was a bit out of my price range. One night, I was sitting on the patio sipping a cold one when a thought came to mind, Ive got 6 deer guns and really only shoot 2 of them, so I sold a couple of them, and bingo, I had that Colt. I've never regretted it especially since the value of the Colt has gone up a lot more than the 2 rifles I sold


I might do that. keep the 2 colts the Model 41 and the kimber. sell the contender the GP 100 and one or 2 of the .22's. hummm

\

Now youre cooking, that Model 70 will only gain in value and the Ruger and the 22s will remain stale value wise, unless theyre Colts also.
If you're there for the limit, you're there for the wrong reason
cluckmeister
hunter
 
Posts: 1924
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:41 pm
Location: Central Kansas

Next

Return to The Honey Hole

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 18javelin, GooseMan74, OHIODUCKA5, t_baker and 24 guests