So I want to buy a gun

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, steve-o, Preacher1011, lostpup, La. Hunter, #1wingnut

Re: So I want to buy a gun

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:40 pm

cluckmeister wrote:
OHIODUCKA5 wrote:
cluckmeister wrote:Ohio since you have plenty of pistols, sell some of the ones that you really don't shoot and buy the cherry Model 70.

You will probably never regret the exchange.

A couple of years ago I found a beautiful NIB 2nd generation Colt Single Action Army with pre ban Ivory grips. it too was a bit out of my price range. One night, I was sitting on the patio sipping a cold one when a thought came to mind, Ive got 6 deer guns and really only shoot 2 of them, so I sold a couple of them, and bingo, I had that Colt. I've never regretted it especially since the value of the Colt has gone up a lot more than the 2 rifles I sold

I might do that. keep the 2 colts the Model 41 and the kimber. sell the contender the GP 100 and one or 2 of the .22's. hummm

\

Now youre cooking, that Model 70 will only gain in value and the Ruger and the 22s will remain stale value wise, unless theyre Colts also.

a single 6 and a buckmark
Lonely wives, dirty trucks , and happy dogs.
OHIODUCKA5
hunter

Postby bighop » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:42 pm

If that gp100 is a stainless 357 with 4" or less, let's talk...
Rick Hall 2016
He'll turn it all around. Unless he doesn't.
bighop
Sugar Daddy

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:46 pm

bighop wrote:If that gp100 is a stainless 357 with 4" or less, let's talk...

Blued 6 inch barrel.
OHIODUCKA5
hunter

Postby 18javelin » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:48 pm

OHIODUCKA5 wrote:
cluckmeister wrote:Ohio since you have plenty of pistols, sell some of the ones that you really don't shoot and buy the cherry Model 70.

A couple of years ago I found a beautiful NIB 2nd generation Colt Single Action Army with pre ban Ivory grips. it too was a bit out of my price range. One night, I was sitting on the patio sipping a cold one when a thought came to mind, Ive got 6 deer guns and really only shoot 2 of them, so I sold a couple of them, and bingo, I had that Colt. I've never regretted it especially since the value of the Colt has gone up a lot more than the 2 rifles I sold

I might do that. keep the 2 colts the Model 41 and the kimber. sell the contender the GP 100 and one or 2 of the .22's. hummm

I have Never in my 36 years of life sold a gun....
Underradar wrote:Well, its sad really. One day he's happily posting pics of road killed coyotes he posed as if he shot them, the next, he's stomped down the shower drain like a soft turd.
18javelin
hunter

Postby 18javelin » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:49 pm

18javelin wrote:
OHIODUCKA5 wrote:

how much for the buck mark and is a hunter model or target?[/
Underradar wrote:Well, its sad really. One day he's happily posting pics of road killed coyotes he posed as if he shot them, the next, he's stomped down the shower drain like a soft turd.
18javelin
hunter

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:50 pm

18javelin wrote:
18javelin wrote:
OHIODUCKA5 wrote:

how much for the buck mark and is a hunter model or target?[/

I haven't decided what I'm doing yet lol
OHIODUCKA5
hunter

Postby TomKat » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:07 pm

18javelin wrote:
OHIODUCKA5 wrote:

I have sold a gun 4 every year u gave been here.
People take different approaches lol
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby 18javelin » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:21 pm

TomKat wrote:
18javelin wrote:
OHIODUCKA5 wrote:

I have sold a gun 4 every year u gave been here.
People take different approaches lol

I didn't say he was wrong for selling one just stated I never have, even myself I find it odd I have never sold one. I did trade a smith and Wesson .22 in because I hated it. But never sold one, every time I think about it regret sets in.... OCD I guess
18javelin
hunter

Postby Botiz630 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:41 pm

Ohio you should get a pistol caliber rifle so you can hunt deer with it.
I need about tree fiddy.
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:44 pm

Botiz630 wrote:Ohio you should get a pistol caliber rifle so you can hunt deer with it.

Lol. Henry makes a .44 I've thought about that..
OHIODUCKA5
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:12 pm

I personally have no issues or regrets trading or selling a gun I've purchased and didn't like, but Ive always replaced the sold ones with something of better quality and value.
If you're there for the limit, you're there for the wrong reason
cluckmeister
State Moderator

Postby t_baker » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:15 pm

Botiz630 wrote:Ohio you should get a pistol caliber rifle so you can hunt deer with it.

This. I been thinking about 357 in a lever gun.
t_baker
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:30 pm

Have you considered building a rifle? I have alot of rifles but the one I take the most pride in is a Mauser that a friend helped me build. Really, you can do most of the work yourself. Only part I paid to have done was the drill & tap for the scope mounts, but my buddy had the blueing tanks and a lathe to set the headspacing, so I saved a few bucks there. Just had Douglas deep chamber one of their barrels for 7x57mm (wanted a Mauser rifle in a Mauser chambering)and put a Winchester Featherweight contour on it. Used a semi inletted Boyds JRS stock with a XX wood upgrade and sanded the heck out of it to trim it up and add a slight palm swell to the grip. My buddy is really good at stock fitting and he helped me with a few things here and there so now it points like a fitted shotgun. I just love that rifle.
1395703167492.jpg
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby Botiz630 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:38 pm

Smexy.
I need about tree fiddy.
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:39 pm

Very smexy. I never thought of building one. This intrigues me.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
OHIODUCKA5
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:42 pm

OHIODUCKA5 wrote:Very smexy. I never thought of building one. This intrigues me.

The .257 Roberts is a great cartridge for a Mauser action as the case is so similar to the 7x57 and 8x57mm cartridges. No feeding issues to worry about. I did one in 25-06 too, no feeding problems in that one but sometimes they can require a little work.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:50 pm

clampdaddy wrote:
OHIODUCKA5 wrote:Very smexy. I never thought of building one. This intrigues me.

The .257 Roberts is a great cartridge for a Mauser action as the case is so similar to the 7x57 and 8x57mm cartridges. No feeding issues to worry about.

I'm going to do some more research. Building a rifle sounds pretty cool.

OHIODUCKA5
hunter

Postby bighop » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:38 pm

OHIODUCKA5 wrote:
clampdaddy wrote:

The .257 Roberts is a great cartridge for a Mauser action as the case is so similar to the 7x57 and 8x57mm cartridges. No feeding issues to worry about.

I'm going to do some more research. Building a rifle sounds pretty cool.

Steve-o can show you how, just ask him.
Rick Hall 2016
He'll turn it all around. Unless he doesn't.
bighop
Sugar Daddy

Postby t_baker » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:51 pm

clampdaddy wrote:

The .257 Roberts is a great cartridge for a Mauser action as the case is so similar to the 7x57 and 8x57mm cartridges. No feeding issues to worry about. I did one in 25-06 too, no feeding problems in that one but sometimes they can require a little work.

Grandpa gave me a 8mm Mauser years ago. Always told me to keep it for a build. Now you have my wheels turning. Grandpa is a hell of a carpenter and has built multiple rifles and muzzle loaders. I probably should take advantage of that knowledge while I can.
t_baker
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:16 pm

t_baker wrote:
clampdaddy wrote:

Grandpa gave me a 8mm Mauser years ago. Always told me to keep it for a build. Now you have my wheels turning. Grandpa is a hell of a carpenter and has built multiple rifles and muzzle loaders. I probably should take advantage of that knowledge while I can.

It's a very rewarding project but only if you take your time and cut no corners. On my first one I rushed the job and it came out looking very mediocre. Every time I'd look at it I was embarrassed that I didn't take the time to do a meticulous job of polishing out all of the steel before the blueing process, and when I forged the bolt handle it came out looking......like a guys first attempt at a sporter job. I ended up calling it a coyote rifle and spray painted it. I have one more action ('03-A3) that I want to do but I can't decide which way I want to go with it.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby t_baker » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:19 pm

clampdaddy wrote:
t_baker wrote:
clampdaddy wrote:

It's a very rewarding project but only if you take your time and cut no corners. On my first one I rushed the job and it came out looking very mediocre. Every time I'd look at it I was embarrassed that I didn't take the time to do a meticulous job of polishing out all of the steel before the blueing process, and when I forged the bolt handle it came out looking......like a guys first attempt at a sporter job. I ended up calling it a coyote rifle and spray painted it. I have one more action ('03-A3) that I want to do but I can't decide which way I want to go with it.

My problem with pretty guns is I am hard on them. I've got a Rem 700 BDL in .220 swift that I am for the most part scared to get out because it's so nice.
t_baker
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:29 pm

t_baker wrote:My problem with pretty guns is I am hard on them. I've got a Rem 700 BDL in .220 swift that I am for the most part scared to get out because it's so nice.

Yeah, but just think of the memories you'll have of building a custom Mauser sporter with your grandpa. :thumbsup:
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby t_baker » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:30 pm

clampdaddy wrote:
t_baker wrote:My problem with pretty guns is I am hard on them. I've got a Rem 700 BDL in .220 swift that I am for the most part scared to get out because it's so nice.

Yeah, but just think of the memories you'll have of building a custom Mauser sporter with your grandpa. :thumbsup:

Very true
t_baker
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:34 pm

clampdaddy wrote:Have you considered building a rifle? I have alot of rifles but the one I take the most pride in is a Mauser that a friend helped me build. Really, you can do most of the work yourself. Only part I paid to have done was the drill & tap for the scope mounts, but my buddy had the blueing tanks and a lathe to set the headspacing, so I saved a few bucks there. Just had Douglas deep chamber one of their barrels for 7x57mm (wanted a Mauser rifle in a Mauser chambering)and put a Winchester Featherweight contour on it. Used a semi inletted Boyds JRS stock with a XX wood upgrade and sanded the heck out of it to trim it up and add a slight palm swell to the grip. My buddy is really good at stock fitting and he helped me with a few things here and there so now it points like a fitted shotgun. I just love that rifle.
1395703167492.jpg

That's a beautiful rifle and the wood is gorgeous
If you're there for the limit, you're there for the wrong reason
cluckmeister
State Moderator

Postby clampdaddy » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:46 pm

cluckmeister wrote:That's a beautiful rifle and the wood is gorgeous

Thanks!
clampdaddy
hunter

PreviousNext