Bankes Pumpkin Seed

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, Preacher1011, lostpup, La. Hunter, steve-o, #1wingnut

Bankes Pumpkin Seed

Postby Slack Tide » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:37 am

Anyone own one or ever shoot from one?
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Re: Bankes Pumpkin Seed

Postby blackrock » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:08 pm

I looked at them because I love my Bankes Predator scull boat, well made. Michael Bankes is a great guy too, delivered my boat from Canada! That boat is way too high profile for me though, I just can't see it when there are some awesome low profile boats. I bought the Lake Bonneville, it's only 6" high. I'm sure some divers will come in to that boat, but I don't believe we would have shot hundreds of puddle ducks and geese out of one. I'm not sure they are as stable either, you can stand on the side of ours and it won't tip......just my opinion though, lots of guys use em
blackrock
hunter

Postby Wi Browndog » Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:34 am

We use 2 of them and they work great . Lots of boot room and very stable. No complaints at all.
"Every day is a good day - some are just better than others"
Wi Browndog
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:09 am

Wi Browndog wrote:We use 2 of them and they work great . Lots of boot room and very stable. No complaints at all.

How big are you guys? I love the look, but I wonder about the profile, shooting out of it in calm water....then again the video shows them slaying birds in flat calm.....
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby KRB » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:43 am

Pull the trigger Slack, can supply decoy's, long lines and a tender. :thumbsup:
KRB
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:48 am

KRB wrote:Pull the trigger Slack, can supply decoy's, long lines and a tender. :thumbsup:

I've got an awesome glass over wood layout...it just weighs a TON....I'm just kicking it around....
With the tow babies now, it's getting harder and harder to be out at dawn....I like the idea of being able to get out late morning or mid day, even on blue bird days to just get some action, even if it is only buffs and mergs.....but of course being able to truly rig out for Bills is a great thing...
None of them are really that expensive, I just really want to be comfortable and safe and this topic always starts fight...good boats but lousy customer service with this guy.....nice guy but no foot room with that guy......etc etc...
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby KRB » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:03 am

Almost bought a UFO last year, but the guy would not budge on the price.
KRB
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:26 am

KRB wrote:Almost bought a UFO last year, but the guy would not budge on the price.

Craigs List in Nassau? I know....did you like that boat? It's built kind of like a kayak no?
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby KRB » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:29 am

Seemed alright, never hunted out of one. Just know I wanted one.
KRB
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:40 am

I'm looking to refinish my pumpkinseed....just to get it done and have it right....may sell it at next years show to generate some money for something lighter and better....it's an awesome boat....rides great...it just belongs on the deck of a tong boat or something....so freakin heavy
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby KRB » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:53 am

In the area we hunt you don't need one to kill broad bill's with point's and deep water to the marsh spot's we have. But I would like to try it that way. Fair amount of work for 2 bills and some buffies.
KRB
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:02 am

True but we've got spots where you'll get your buffs and mergs.....then the brant start trading.....maybe your Bills and even an oddball puddler or goose if you are lucky..plus the idea is that you would go out and shoot layout on a day that you may not have gone out at all....(super sunny, clear or mid day)
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby KRB » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:09 am

I'm down with it.
KRB
hunter

Postby Wi Browndog » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:38 pm

We have had several guys up to 6'3", 260# hunt with us with great results. Yes, there are boats with lower profiles but these work fine for us.
Wi Browndog
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:22 pm

Wi Browndog wrote:We have had several guys up to 6'3", 260# hunt with us with great results. Yes, there are boats with lower profiles but these work fine for us.

what type of water?
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby Wi Browndog » Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:57 pm

Everything from dead calm to 3-4 foot waves. The guys in the tender (18 ft. Crestliner) are more aware of worsening conditions than those relaxing in the layouts. It's amazing how a 6" chop can make the layouts blend right in amongst 120 dekes. Anymore questions - don't hesitate to ask. We are not guides, but just guys who gather friends to hunt divers on Green Bay and Lake Michigan.
Wi Browndog
hunter

Return to The Honey Hole