2014 Turkey Contest!

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, Preacher1011, lostpup, La. Hunter, steve-o, #1wingnut

Re: 2014 Turkey Contest!

Postby Papachessie » Sun May 04, 2014 1:39 pm

DSCF0220.JPG
DSCF0212.JPG
Thanks Jarbo. My biggest so far. I've only been huntin' Turkeys 3 or 4 years. Just got permission for this spot last week. I think I like it. Had probably 40 birds roost within 300 yards of me in all directions last Tuesday night. I saw this Tom and another from the truck Friday night in the field behind the woods I hunt. I got to the back of the woods and hit the slate and he gobbled right away. Didn't even have time to set any decoys. Just knelt down and watched him cross the ditch and come right to me. Shot him at 10 yards. He had a cut and a piece of what looked like rubber stuck in his breast. Pretty sure someone grazed him with an arrow last week. I think the rubber stuff was part of a vane from the arrow.
Jarbo03 wrote:Those two are nothing but life support systems for vaginas
Papachessie
hunter

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Sun May 04, 2014 2:11 pm

Nice bird papa!

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
I hope someday someone remembers this old dog with kindness and gives me to a puppy.

-Gene Hill

fadetoblack188 wrote:forget i asked.. mods please delete.. the scum bags on this site are overwhelming.
OHIODUCKA5
hunter

Postby Tryingtaxi » Sun May 04, 2014 5:16 pm

Nice bird. I wish season was still open here.
Tryingtaxi
hunter

Postby Papachessie » Mon May 05, 2014 6:28 pm

Tryingtaxi wrote:Nice bird. I wish season was still open here.

It is here, but we're only allowed one bird. May try to find someone to take this weekend.
Papachessie
hunter

Postby Professor_Leakey » Mon May 05, 2014 6:36 pm

i whiffed today...and cannot stop replaying it in my head. sucks
I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
Professor_Leakey
hunter

Postby Papachessie » Mon May 05, 2014 6:41 pm

Professor_Leakey wrote:i whiffed today...and cannot stop replaying it in my head. sucks

Was he looking at you? :lol3:
Papachessie
hunter

Postby Professor_Leakey » Mon May 05, 2014 6:43 pm

:huh: i wanna laugh but i dont get it.
Professor_Leakey
hunter

Postby Papachessie » Mon May 05, 2014 6:51 pm

Professor_Leakey wrote::huh: i wanna laugh but i dont get it.

Staring at you, making you nervous. Took my 8 year old grandson a couple years ago and we had a jake at about 10 yards. I said shoot, and he said "I can't, he's looking at me". I almost ruined it by laughing out loud.
Papachessie
hunter

Postby OGblackcloud » Mon May 05, 2014 6:56 pm

Papachessie wrote:
Professor_Leakey wrote::huh: i wanna laugh but i dont get it.

Staring at you, making you nervous. Took my 8 year old grandson a couple years ago and we had a jake at about 10 yards. I said shoot, and he said "I can't, he's looking at me". I almost ruined it by laughing out loud.

That's funny :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:
OGblackcloud
hunter

Postby Professor_Leakey » Mon May 05, 2014 7:00 pm

yeah he was up close and personal and i somehow blew it. i dont know how but i did. i tried shooting him out of the side window of my blind because i thought he wasnt gonna work further out. it was an awkward angle. if i had waited 5 minutes he probably would have given me a layup. i spent 4 days trying to get this bird to come in for a shot and i got impatient. im gonna sit in the corner now.
Professor_Leakey
hunter

Postby Tryingtaxi » Mon May 05, 2014 7:28 pm

Is not as bad as our opener here called in two 2 year olds and shot 8 times didn't hit one of them. :no: they just stood there gobbled every time is shot. We took a friend that day to call cause he had nothing else to do. My dad and him were setup 20 yds away. After I shot the first 3 times he told my dad at least he is out of bullets. My dad's response was no he's got a whole box :biggrin: . Later that day we were joking around and he said if he heard that he wouldn't have hunted this year because someone killed the whole flock. Shot till I ran out of bullets luckily I was shooting federals and not hevishot.
Found out later that day I needed to fix my gun. The shims were off.
Tryingtaxi
hunter

Postby Professor_Leakey » Mon May 05, 2014 7:33 pm

if i hadnt spent 4 days already trying to get him to work in for a shot, i would have been more patient. i gotta beat myself up for a bit then i am gonna get back at it. i still have some time left..sucks though. just gotta learn to wait.
Professor_Leakey
hunter

Postby Tryingtaxi » Mon May 05, 2014 7:52 pm

Professor_Leakey wrote:if i hadnt spent 4 days already trying to get him to work in for a shot, i would have been more patient. i gotta beat myself up for a bit then i am gonna get back at it. i still have some time left..sucks though. just gotta learn to wait.

When does your season end?
Tryingtaxi
hunter

Postby Professor_Leakey » Mon May 05, 2014 8:00 pm

got til the 24th
Professor_Leakey
hunter

Postby Tryingtaxi » Mon May 05, 2014 8:22 pm

Professor_Leakey wrote:got til the 24th

You'll get him :thumbsup:
We killed 4 this season between 4 of us. 3 of which were within 3-4 days
Tryingtaxi
hunter

Postby Jarbo03 » Mon May 05, 2014 9:17 pm

Tryingtaxi wrote:Is not as bad as our opener here called in two 2 year olds and shot 8 times didn't hit one of them. :no: they just stood there gobbled every time is shot. We took a friend that day to call cause he had nothing else to do. My dad and him were setup 20 yds away. After I shot the first 3 times he told my dad at least he is out of bullets. My dad's response was no he's got a whole box :biggrin: . Later that day we were joking around and he said if he heard that he wouldn't have hunted this year because someone killed the whole flock. Shot till I ran out of bullets luckily I was shooting federals and not hevishot.
Found out later that day I needed to fix my gun. The shims were off.

I wasted 3 rounds on a monster a few years back, I got home and put my gun on gunbroker! Had to find something to blame.:shock:

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
Jarbo03
hunter

Postby 18javelin » Tue May 06, 2014 3:07 am

My buddy owns Bosler outdoors here in Southern IN. got a invite to come hunt with him as a Guest Sunday. I will just say this it was as memorable day as i have had hunting. I experienced a few first over my 19 seasons turkey hunting in one day. This place is Amazing i should start off saying we were on a small piece (300 acres) of their land That is Bordered on 3 sides by a river. He was interviewing my skills i believe, he left all his calls at Home. Hoping he sends a few clients my way next season.

Well the morning started off slow by just hearing 8 birds within 150 yards of us. Had one at 10 yards behind us 3 times drumming with neither of us able to shoot. We slipped out when he struts off to hear two other coming fast so we set the decoy i made one cutt and a few yelps and had them running to us, 1 min later i missed my first double??????? He however killed the one he was aiming at which weighed 22 lbs had 2 seven inch beards and a 10 inch beard and 1-1/4 spurs. Can you imagine how many beards the one i missed had? the big one always gets away right? That was the first turkey i have ever missed in 18 years, fast forward about 30 minutes and i can tell you how i hear a bird 300 yards away as im closing the truck door, we jump out set a decoy in the drive way made a few calls with these two birds closing fast..... Fast forward..... I missed the second bird in 18 years with a shotgun... WTH....

Patterned my new versamax and it was great.... However that was before i took the stock off and replaced it with a camo stock.. :huh: I havent shot again since the miss however i knew better but it never crossed my mind it would shoot any different. I know, i know, we have shimmed stocks before and changed POI on scatter guns but never thought to check. how many say it was the gun how many say it was me?

I called in 5 long beards before noon missed my first double and missed again yet called in the first bird i have ever with multiple beards, im stoked yet "sore" :mad: baffled. Over all it was a great day with a good friend and my first invite to their Farm, I was worried after two misses he wouldnt invite me back However i think he gained enough comedic relief from my astonishment of how i miss not once but two times at birds that were 30 yards. The second one spooked as i beaded up on him so it was a semi moving shot. No excuses i missed, however when i leave work today i will be patterning a Gun. *( I have Now shot and confirmed the two misses were me and not the gun) :mad: :mad: :no:
Underradar wrote:Well, its sad really. One day he's happily posting pics of road killed coyotes he posed as if he shot them, the next, he's stomped down the shower drain like a soft turd.
18javelin
hunter

Postby 18javelin » Tue May 06, 2014 3:11 am

ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Underradar wrote:Well, its sad really. One day he's happily posting pics of road killed coyotes he posed as if he shot them, the next, he's stomped down the shower drain like a soft turd.
18javelin
hunter

Postby Tryingtaxi » Tue May 06, 2014 1:53 pm

That sucks man. I have had that happen to me before. But it wasn't that big of a bird.
Tryingtaxi
hunter

Postby bighop » Tue May 06, 2014 2:01 pm

Well, unless we have a category for the furriest turkey with the biggest ears, I'm out. Let me know who to pay...

So who's taking me next year?
Rick Hall 2016
He'll turn it all around. Unless he doesn't.
bighop
Sugar Daddy

Postby t_baker » Tue May 06, 2014 2:06 pm

bighop wrote:Well, unless we have a category for the furriest turkey with the biggest ears, I'm out. Let me know who to pay...

Hop on a plane. I've got 3 giving me fits.
t_baker
hunter

2014 Turkey Contest!

Postby 18javelin » Tue May 06, 2014 5:37 pm

Hop I will possibly be guiding for bosler outfitters but if not I could meet ya in Illinois and we can get cujo to take us. Lol

18javelin
hunter

Postby 18javelin » Tue May 06, 2014 5:59 pm

t_baker wrote:
bighop wrote:Well, unless we have a category for the furriest turkey with the biggest ears, I'm out. Let me know who to pay...

Hop on a plane. I've got 3 giving me fits.

What I do when I find myself saying that I change spots and leave them alone. I hate getting hung up on certain birds. I have one property I try once a year and damn birds always seem call shy or gobble and hang up. I dedicated most of a season trying to kill one of those one season finally I left went to a new property killed one a hour in. Buddy went in next day to chit hole and killed one I tried all year for....

18javelin
hunter

Postby duckman27 » Fri May 09, 2014 12:57 am

Had a friend shoot one last weekend that scored 89.5. He had 1 5/8 inch spurs, a 9 inch beard and an 8 ich beard.
duckman27
hunter

Postby 18javelin » Sat May 10, 2014 4:35 am

Well My season is done.... Birdless the first time in 19 seasons..... I did call 4 to dirt naps, missed 2 myself (also a first in 19 seasons) And overall called in 12 birds, Several of which should be dead but wait a second to long and they leave or never give ya a shot. Great year overall. But damn it stings.... :yes:

I Vow here in out unless its a kid, handicap,or my wife dont ask me to call you a bird in before mine is down... cause it aint happening. :lol3:
18javelin
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to The Honey Hole