2014 Turkey Contest!

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, Preacher1011, steve-o, La. Hunter, lostpup, #1wingnut

Re: 2014 Turkey Contest!

Postby OKhunter » Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:40 pm

Tryingtaxi wrote:Nice birds the triple beard bird looks a little beat up.

Thanks. For whatever reason he flopped around longer than any turkey I have ever shot. This picture was also taken several hours after I shot him and that didn't help his looks.
OKhunter
hunter

Postby Tryingtaxi » Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:09 pm

OKhunter wrote:

Thanks. For whatever reason he flopped around longer than any turkey I have ever shot. This picture was also taken several hours after I shot him and that didn't help his looks.

That sucks were you planning on mounting him? That always happens to the best animals. That trophy duck you get and his head is almost blown off .
Tryingtaxi
hunter

Postby OKhunter » Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:28 pm

Tryingtaxi wrote:
OKhunter wrote:

That sucks were you planning on mounting him? That always happens to the best animals. That trophy duck you get and his head is almost blown off .

I was thinking about it until I rolled him over and he only had .5 inch spurs. If they would have been 1 1/4 inches or more I probably would have. I don't know where I would have put him, but I think I could have found a place. I've shot a bunch of turkeys over the last 15 years and I have never seen spurs as short as his on a bird that is more than 2 years old. They weren't much longer than a jake's.
OKhunter
hunter

Postby Tryingtaxi » Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:59 pm

That sucks my turkey with the 11.5 ( was around that) beard and 1 5/8 spurs on the biggest side that was the biggest bird I had ever killed . My shot was 45 yards it didn't kill him but crippled him up . He was spitting up blood he ran about 5 yards and sat down . He hit a big stump and ripped out a big patch of feathers, . Luckily the taxidermist had an extra skin and replaced those feathers. Should get him back within these next two years. His spurs were very sharp but down here we have no rocky terrain. I will look for a picture.

Sorry I was in a hurry to type this didn't proof read
Last edited by Tryingtaxi on Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Tryingtaxi
hunter

Postby t_baker » Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:18 pm

Tryingtaxi wrote:That sucks my turkey with the 11.5+ beard and 1 5/8 spurs on the biggest side that was the biggest bird I had ever killed my shot was 45 yards didn't kill him but crippled him up and he was spitting up blood he ran about 5 yards and sat down he hit a big stump and ripped out a big patch of feathers he was beautiful luckily the taxi had an extra skin and replaced those feathers should get him back within these next two years. His spurs were very sharp but down here we have no rocky terrain they were curved but the tip was straightened out. I will look for a picture.

You should try to find some capital letters, periods, and comas while you are looking for that picture.
t_baker
hunter

2014 Turkey Contest!

Postby TXducksanddeer » Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:39 pm

t_baker wrote:
Tryingtaxi wrote:That sucks my turkey with the 11.5+ beard and 1 5/8 spurs on the biggest side that was the biggest bird I had ever killed my shot was 45 yards didn't kill him but crippled him up and he was spitting up blood he ran about 5 yards and sat down he hit a big stump and ripped out a big patch of feathers he was beautiful luckily the taxi had an extra skin and replaced those feathers should get him back within these next two years. His spurs were very sharp but down here we have no rocky terrain they were curved but the tip was straightened out. I will look for a picture.

You should try to find some capital letters, periods, and comas while you are looking for that picture.

Oh snap, grammar police!
Last edited by TXducksanddeer on Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TXducksanddeer
hunter

Postby TXducksanddeer » Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:40 pm

Nice bird Oklahoma.
TXducksanddeer
hunter

Postby Professor_Leakey » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:53 pm

congrats on the birds! my opener was today. i had a nice tom come in but wouldnt commit. locked up at 50 yards on the other side of some cover. stood there gobbling for like 15 minutes but wouldnt commit and then walked off. i figured he was gonna loop around and come in quiet but i never saw him again. ticks are out of control this year, here...but i would rather complain about ticks and birds hanging up, than that cold winter
I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
Professor_Leakey
hunter

Postby Tryingtaxi » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:13 pm

Last edited by Tryingtaxi on Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tryingtaxi
hunter

Postby Tryingtaxi » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:14 pm

t_baker wrote:

Nobody's perfect :biggrin:
I will go back and fix it just to make you happy though I was in a little bit of a hurry and haven't had much time. I don't want to start a pissing match over something this stupid. :beer:
Tryingtaxi
hunter

Postby Tryingtaxi » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:30 pm

It must have been the smaller side that was curved. I don't have any full body's we doubled that day and we were taking pictures of our guests birds.
Tryingtaxi
hunter

Postby OKhunter » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:59 pm

Tryingtaxi wrote:Image
It must have been the smaller side that was curved. I don't have any full body's we doubled that day and we were taking pictures of our guests birds.

Those are some insane spurs!! If my bird would have had those he would have been going on the wall.
OKhunter
hunter

Postby 18javelin » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:23 am

Nice hooks, Ive killed Birds the last 4 years with 1-1/2" spurs or a touch better (All Luck). Found one yesterday that possibly could be a Old Mac daddy too, super thin beard on him but im after spurs not beard Unless we are talking multiple beards. Im not sure anyone will top the 79 ish score. Thats a dandy triple beard, Congrats!
Underradar wrote:Well, its sad really. One day he's happily posting pics of road killed coyotes he posed as if he shot them, the next, he's stomped down the shower drain like a soft turd.
18javelin
hunter

Postby OKhunter » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:53 am

18javelin wrote:Nice hooks, Ive killed Birds the last 4 years with 1-1/2" spurs or a touch better (All Luck). Found one yesterday that possibly could be a Old Mac daddy too, super thin beard on him but im after spurs not beard Unless we are talking multiple beards. Im not sure anyone will top the 79 ish score. Thats a dandy triple beard, Congrats!

Thanks. I have never seen spurs over a 1 1/4 inches. I would love to have a chance at with 1 1/2 spurs someday. If my bird would have had 1 1/4 inch spurs instead of the .5 inch, it would have scored 94. Spurs make up a large portion of the score. Good luck chasing your Old Mac Daddy, post up some pics when he falls.
OKhunter
hunter

Postby Professor_Leakey » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:25 am

OKhunter wrote:Spurs make up a large portion of the score. Good luck chasing your Old Mac Daddy, post up some pics when he falls.

that's the problem i run into...i have nice heavy bodied toms around tripping over their beards, but their spurs get pretty well worn down. glad to hand over $10 to whoever wins this...79 sure is tough to beat.
Professor_Leakey
hunter

Postby Tryingtaxi » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:05 pm

This was an Osceola so there spurs aren't worn down hardly at all. There is a bird I'm going for next year I call him paintbrush. He is the big boy out there his beard has to be around 13.5 and about 3 fingers wide and thick. I had one shot at him early in the season but it was a 48 yard shot. He was henned up and came over to look but there was some tall grass in the way I just saw his head pop up. Didn't want to risk it. I see him every once in a while either alone or with 2 other big toms and always has hens.
What's your guys favorite way to cook turkey? I usually just fry it.
Tryingtaxi
hunter

Postby Professor_Leakey » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:09 pm

thin sliced breast meat fried up crispy for sammiches

i use the thighs to make soup. drums for crab baits in the summer. cant wait...i am getting out friday-saturday-monday this week. got my eyes on a real nice tom. no threat to score 79 but i will still post up pics if/WHEN i kill him.
Professor_Leakey
hunter

Postby 18javelin » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:25 pm

All My birds are easterns up here in southern indiana its rocky, sandy, muddy, wet, dry, and cold and hot all at the same time... But we still get the occasional 1-1/2" spurs. The Spur is the real teller of age for long beards and keepsake IMO, they get broke and wore down but when you find a Old tom 5-6 years old they will usually have the Hooks.

I see alot of guys say OHHH this bird was old you could tell, i ask to see the spurs or a pic and they are 1" . I try to tell them that is how you age a bird not by weight or length of beard. The 2-3 year olds are usually the fun ones come running in, the older birds i have found you need to scout and are set in their ways, usually meaning the hens come to them everytime.
Underradar wrote:Well, its sad really. One day he's happily posting pics of road killed coyotes he posed as if he shot them, the next, he's stomped down the shower drain like a soft turd.
18javelin
hunter

Postby Tryingtaxi » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:18 pm

18javelin wrote:All My birds are easterns up here in southern indiana its rocky, sandy, muddy, wet, dry, and cold and hot all at the same time... But we still get the occasional 1-1/2" spurs. The Spur is the real teller of age for long beards and keepsake IMO, they get broke and wore down but when you find a Old tom 5-6 years old they will usually have the Hooks.

I see alot of guys say OHHH this bird was old you could tell, i ask to see the spurs or a pic and they are 1" . I try to tell them that is how you age a bird not by weight or length of beard. The 2-3 year olds are usually the fun ones come running in, the older birds i have found you need to scout and are set in their ways, usually meaning the hens come to them everytime.

The older ones a definitely more challenging and fun. For my bird we chased him probably 300 yards through the woods sneaking gobble calling. We finally caught up I crawled up to a tree that blew over and hid behind the roots. Looked through a little hole and as soon as he turned popped up and took aim. I was drawing circles around him our friend said. There were two of them I waited for the smaller bird to walk off. I did a yelp he popped his head up BOOM. Crippled him. When I get him back from the taxidermist I will post a pic what pose would you guys choose to show off spurs and beard? I was going to go with half strut but it's still up in the air.
Forgot to say that bird was starting to double spur if you see that little elevated spot to the right of the spur.

Leakey that sounds good I'm going to try it with this meat in the freezer.
Tryingtaxi
hunter

Postby quacknstack6 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:19 pm

18javelin wrote:All My birds are easterns up here in southern indiana its rocky, sandy, muddy, wet, dry, and cold and hot all at the same time... But we still get the occasional 1-1/2" spurs. The Spur is the real teller of age for long beards and keepsake IMO, they get broke and wore down but when you find a Old tom 5-6 years old they will usually have the Hooks.

Also look at the fan, it is a good indication of the age as well. A 2 year old bird will have a raised ridge in the fan along the black feathers throughout. Instead of making a full semi circle it will have a high ridge in a few of the feathers. 3 year old birds and up will have a solid symmetrical fan.
assateague wrote:When. I. Kill. One. You. Bastards. Are. Never. Gonna. Hear. The. End. Of. It.
quacknstack6
hunter

Postby Tryingtaxi » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:28 pm

Never even noticed that I'm going to go through some pictures now.
Tryingtaxi
hunter

Postby Jarbo03 » Thu May 01, 2014 8:11 am

Biggest spurs I've seen were 1.5", rare where I hunt. Most are rounded and dull.

This was todays bird, he'll score mid 60s. 79 is going to be hard to beat, that's a great bird.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
Attachments
uploadfromtaptalk1398953422756.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1398953402467.jpg
Jarbo03
hunter

Postby Tryingtaxi » Thu May 01, 2014 1:09 pm

Like what you did with the call
Tryingtaxi
hunter

Postby Papachessie » Sat May 03, 2014 12:05 pm

I'm not in, but I shot one last night that'll score around 73. 9-1/4" beard and a 7-3/4" beard and weighed 26-1/2 lbs. With some spurs he'd a been a dandy. Only had a 3/4" and a broken tip 1/2" spur. Charging my camera battery now to get a couple pics before I skin him.
Jarbo03 wrote:Those two are nothing but life support systems for vaginas
Papachessie
hunter

Postby Jarbo03 » Sat May 03, 2014 9:10 pm

Papachessie wrote:I'm not in, but I shot one last night that'll score around 73. 9-1/4" beard and a 7-3/4" beard and weighed 26-1/2 lbs. With some spurs he'd a been a dandy. Only had a 3/4" and a broken tip 1/2" spur. Charging my camera battery now to get a couple pics before I skin him.

Nice bird Papa. :beer:
Jarbo03
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to The Honey Hole