22 ammo Myth??

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, steve-o, Preacher1011, La. Hunter, lostpup, #1wingnut

22 ammo Myth??

Postby Slack Tide » Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:48 am

What's the bottom line on the "shortage" of 22 ammo? Are you guys around the country experiencing this? There seems to be no shortage of 9mm or 40&45.....so there is no shortage of brass, powder and lead??
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
User avatar
Slack Tide
hunter
 
Posts: 5075
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:06 pm
Location: On the northeast corner of the southwest side


Re: 22 ammo Myth??

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:53 am

We have plenty of .22 around here. It just I'm not spending 40-50 bucks a brick. I heard from a competitive shooter that Winchester and Hornady built plants to be .22 specific and they should be able to meet demand by mid summer. So we'll see.
I hope someday someone remembers this old dog with kindness and gives me to a puppy.

-Gene Hill
User avatar
OHIODUCKA5
hunter
 
Posts: 12099
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:46 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: 22 ammo Myth??

Postby Slack Tide » Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:06 am

OHIODUCKA5 wrote:We have plenty of .22 around here. It just I'm not spending 40-50 bucks a brick. I heard from a competitive shooter that Winchester and Hornady built plants to be .22 specific and they should be able to meet demand by mid summer. So we'll see.

So this IS a national reality? What's at the root of it? Paranoia? Did the price of 9 go up, so guys are opting to plink?
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
User avatar
Slack Tide
hunter
 
Posts: 5075
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:06 pm
Location: On the northeast corner of the southwest side

Re: 22 ammo Myth??

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:09 am

Slack Tide wrote:
OHIODUCKA5 wrote:We have plenty of .22 around here. It just I'm not spending 40-50 bucks a brick. I heard from a competitive shooter that Winchester and Hornady built plants to be .22 specific and they should be able to meet demand by mid summer. So we'll see.

So this IS a national reality? What's at the root of it? Paranoia? Did the price of 9 go up, so guys are opting to plink?


.223 and 9 and .45 are high but not near the gouging that they are doing on .22's. The local shop has a pallett of .22 so they can be had I've got 17 bricks and a bucket. I haven't bought any in a while.

http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2 ... ge-yo.aspx
I hope someday someone remembers this old dog with kindness and gives me to a puppy.

-Gene Hill
User avatar
OHIODUCKA5
hunter
 
Posts: 12099
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:46 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: 22 ammo Myth??

Postby youngoilguy » Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:10 am

I blame the "preppers". They are the ones driving up the demand. I know one a hole who has about 75 bricks at least and he feels he does not have enough. Also the introduction of the ar22 didn't help either. 22s went from bolts and levers to some semi autos to machine guns. The ar enthusiasts can really burn through the cheap ammo.

You can find 22s in ne ohio for standard price, but, most retailers limit you to 2 boxes
Last edited by youngoilguy on Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
assateague wrote:I hunt to kill. It's why I take a gun instead of a camera. And it's a goose- lighten up.


best quote ever
User avatar
youngoilguy
hunter
 
Posts: 574
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:18 pm
Location: Ohio (not in a flyway)

Re: 22 ammo Myth??

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:12 am

I hope someday someone remembers this old dog with kindness and gives me to a puppy.

-Gene Hill
User avatar
OHIODUCKA5
hunter
 
Posts: 12099
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:46 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: 22 ammo Myth??

Postby T Man » Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:37 am

youngoilguy wrote:I blame the "preppers". They are the ones driving up the demand. I know one a hole who has about 75 bricks at least and he feels he does not have enough. Also the introduction of the ar22 didn't help either. 22s went from bolts and levers to some semi autos to machine guns. The ar enthusiasts can really burn through the cheap ammo.

You can find 22s in ne ohio for standard price, but, most retailers limit you to 2 boxes


Really? You think the ar22 is to blame? Not the Barbie of guns the 10/22?
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
User avatar
T Man
Super Moderator
 
Posts: 5641
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 7:42 pm
Location: Everywhere the English language is being abused...

Re: 22 ammo Myth??

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:41 am

T Man wrote:
youngoilguy wrote:I blame the "preppers". They are the ones driving up the demand. I know one a hole who has about 75 bricks at least and he feels he does not have enough. Also the introduction of the ar22 didn't help either. 22s went from bolts and levers to some semi autos to machine guns. The ar enthusiasts can really burn through the cheap ammo.

You can find 22s in ne ohio for standard price, but, most retailers limit you to 2 boxes


Really? You think the ar22 is to blame? Not the Barbie of guns the 10/22?


Don't bash my 10/22 or my 16 shot Henry lol. I have .22 conversion kits for 1911's i can burn thru a brick in a hurry.
I hope someday someone remembers this old dog with kindness and gives me to a puppy.

-Gene Hill
User avatar
OHIODUCKA5
hunter
 
Posts: 12099
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:46 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: 22 ammo Myth??

Postby teddysberna » Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:47 am

The gun show here in Lexington last month had booths selling bricks of 500 for $75. Just ridiculous :fingerhead:
ByersFarm wrote:
Westtennduckhunter wrote:Sugar is a top secret place.

Sugar is a mythical place, with unicorns and sugar plum ferries. It's a majestic place. I mean moth8rf^@king majestic. Like a bald eagle getting a hand job from the statue of liberty herself.
User avatar
teddysberna
hunter
 
Posts: 4904
Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:25 pm
Location: Georgetown KY

Re: 22 ammo Myth??

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:48 am

teddysberna wrote:The gun show here in Lexington last month had booths selling bricks of 500 for $75. Just ridiculous :fingerhead:


I'd smack someone for buying that.
I hope someday someone remembers this old dog with kindness and gives me to a puppy.

-Gene Hill
User avatar
OHIODUCKA5
hunter
 
Posts: 12099
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:46 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: 22 ammo Myth??

Postby Slack Tide » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:27 am

OHIODUCKA5 wrote:
teddysberna wrote:The gun show here in Lexington last month had booths selling bricks of 500 for $75. Just ridiculous :fingerhead:


I'd smack someone for buying that.

What should it cost?
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
User avatar
Slack Tide
hunter
 
Posts: 5075
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:06 pm
Location: On the northeast corner of the southwest side

Re: 22 ammo Myth??

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:31 am

Slack Tide wrote:
OHIODUCKA5 wrote:
teddysberna wrote:The gun show here in Lexington last month had booths selling bricks of 500 for $75. Just ridiculous :fingerhead:


I'd smack someone for buying that.

What should it cost?


I won't buy it for 40 no way in hell am I paying 75.
I hope someday someone remembers this old dog with kindness and gives me to a puppy.

-Gene Hill
User avatar
OHIODUCKA5
hunter
 
Posts: 12099
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:46 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: 22 ammo Myth??

Postby t_baker » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:34 am

Slack Tide wrote:
OHIODUCKA5 wrote:
teddysberna wrote:The gun show here in Lexington last month had booths selling bricks of 500 for $75. Just ridiculous :fingerhead:


I'd smack someone for buying that.

What should it cost?

Fact is, that's what it's gonna cost. The days of a 20 dollar brick are gone. You won't see it below 45 dollars a brick I am willing to bet.

And for what it's worth, I hate 10/22's.
User avatar
t_baker
hunter
 
Posts: 7441
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:20 pm
Location: Harrod Ohio

Re: 22 ammo Myth??

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:35 am

t_baker wrote:
Slack Tide wrote:
OHIODUCKA5 wrote:
teddysberna wrote:The gun show here in Lexington last month had booths selling bricks of 500 for $75. Just ridiculous :fingerhead:


I'd smack someone for buying that.

What should it cost?

Fact is, that's what it's gonna cost. The days of a 20 dollar brick are gone. You won't see it below 45 dollars a brick I am willing to bet.

And for what it's worth, I hate 10/22's.


30 a brick for Rem golden bullets here. 40 for federals.
I hope someday someone remembers this old dog with kindness and gives me to a puppy.

-Gene Hill
User avatar
OHIODUCKA5
hunter
 
Posts: 12099
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:46 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: 22 ammo Myth??

Postby Botiz630 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:37 am

Speaking of .22, anyone know of a place I could get a replacement forearm for a Fieldmaster? I split the one on mine.
Holy Molly
User avatar
Botiz630
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 16240
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:24 pm

Re: 22 ammo Myth??

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:38 am

Botiz630 wrote:Speaking of .22, anyone know of a place I could get a replacement forearm for a Fieldmaster? I split the one on mine.


Ouch

http://www.brownells.com/schematics/Rem ... 26874sid81
I hope someday someone remembers this old dog with kindness and gives me to a puppy.

-Gene Hill
User avatar
OHIODUCKA5
hunter
 
Posts: 12099
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:46 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: 22 ammo Myth??

Postby t_baker » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:39 am

OHIODUCKA5 wrote:
t_baker wrote:
Slack Tide wrote:
OHIODUCKA5 wrote:
teddysberna wrote:The gun show here in Lexington last month had booths selling bricks of 500 for $75. Just ridiculous :fingerhead:


I'd smack someone for buying that.

What should it cost?

Fact is, that's what it's gonna cost. The days of a 20 dollar brick are gone. You won't see it below 45 dollars a brick I am willing to bet.

And for what it's worth, I hate 10/22's.


30 a brick for Rem golden bullets here. 40 for federals.

I refuse to believe that. I've been from here to Nashville in the last 4 months. Bricks are 50 dollars, if you can find them.

The 30 dollar bricks are being put on the shelf at wal mart at. 5 AM and gone by 5:05 AM.
User avatar
t_baker
hunter
 
Posts: 7441
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:20 pm
Location: Harrod Ohio

Re: 22 ammo Myth??

Postby GomerPyle » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:40 am

you can buy it here in Central AL relatively easily, but you'll pay $0.15/round for it.....I remember the "good old days" (like 5 yrs ago) when you could buy a 500 box of bulk (cheap) .22 for like $10
At the advice of my attorney, I issue the following disclaimer:

"This post may or may not be intended as humor and/or sarcasm and does not necessarily reflect the actual views of the poster."
User avatar
GomerPyle
hunter
 
Posts: 1375
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:18 pm
Location: Tuscaloosa, AL -- Memphis, TN

Re: 22 ammo Myth??

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:40 am

t_baker wrote:
OHIODUCKA5 wrote:
t_baker wrote:
Slack Tide wrote:
OHIODUCKA5 wrote:
teddysberna wrote:The gun show here in Lexington last month had booths selling bricks of 500 for $75. Just ridiculous :fingerhead:


I'd smack someone for buying that.

What should it cost?

Fact is, that's what it's gonna cost. The days of a 20 dollar brick are gone. You won't see it below 45 dollars a brick I am willing to bet.

And for what it's worth, I hate 10/22's.


30 a brick for Rem golden bullets here. 40 for federals.

I refuse to believe that. I've been from here to Nashville in the last 4 months. Bricks are 50 dollars, if you can find them.

The 30 dollar bricks are being put on the shelf at wal mart at. 5 AM and gone by 5:05 AM.


Fin Feather fur outfitters in Ashland. They have 2 or 3 pallets. You're only allowed one box and they only put out so many you have to ask if they have any.
I hope someday someone remembers this old dog with kindness and gives me to a puppy.

-Gene Hill
User avatar
OHIODUCKA5
hunter
 
Posts: 12099
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:46 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: 22 ammo Myth??

Postby Botiz630 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:42 am

OHIODUCKA5 wrote:
Botiz630 wrote:Speaking of .22, anyone know of a place I could get a replacement forearm for a Fieldmaster? I split the one on mine.


Ouch

http://www.brownells.com/schematics/Rem ... 26874sid81


114 bucks? It can stay split, I hardly ever shoot the thing.
Holy Molly
User avatar
Botiz630
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 16240
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:24 pm

Re: 22 ammo Myth??

Postby teddysberna » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:50 am

Slack Tide wrote:
OHIODUCKA5 wrote:
teddysberna wrote:The gun show here in Lexington last month had booths selling bricks of 500 for $75. Just ridiculous :fingerhead:


I'd smack someone for buying that.

What should it cost?



Before Newtown it was about $16 for a box of 500 or 550...
ByersFarm wrote:
Westtennduckhunter wrote:Sugar is a top secret place.

Sugar is a mythical place, with unicorns and sugar plum ferries. It's a majestic place. I mean moth8rf^@king majestic. Like a bald eagle getting a hand job from the statue of liberty herself.
User avatar
teddysberna
hunter
 
Posts: 4904
Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:25 pm
Location: Georgetown KY

Re: 22 ammo Myth??

Postby wanapasaki » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:51 am

From Cali-Colorado no .22 anywhere, although there is a gun show tomorrow. Might be the only chance I get
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
User avatar
wanapasaki
hunter
 
Posts: 2377
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:45 am
Location: Tehachapi, CA

Re: 22 ammo Myth??

Postby Bill Herian » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:56 am

People are buying it as an investment. It's still hard to come by around here and people are paying absurd prices to get even small quantities. Only reliable way to get it is buying from someone outside the ammo desert and that means paying his price.
User avatar
Bill Herian
hunter
 
Posts: 4192
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:09 am
Location: breakin' hearts and blastin' farts in WI

Re: 22 ammo Myth??

Postby Locked&Loaded » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:59 am

It's really tough finding .22 ammo here as well. When stores do get it, it's gone in an hour. It's been months and months since I've seen a box of .22 ammo on a shelf. However, I can go buy a truck load of 9mm or .223 on any day of the week. When I've talked to guys at the stores who do sell it, they say people are hoarding it like gold. If a guy was going to hoard ammo, why .22? Certainly not for home defense or for killing anything larger than a rabbit. I don't get it.
User avatar
Locked&Loaded
Magic Mike
 
Posts: 7379
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:12 pm

Re: 22 ammo Myth??

Postby beretta24 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:44 am

Locked&Loaded wrote:It's really tough finding .22 ammo here as well. When stores do get it, it's gone in an hour. It's been months and months since I've seen a box of .22 ammo on a shelf. However, I can go buy a truck load of 9mm or .223 on any day of the week. When I've talked to guys at the stores who do sell it, they say people are hoarding it like gold. If a guy was going to hoard ammo, why .22? Certainly not for home defense or for killing anything larger than a rabbit. I don't get it.

Because its what was sold out first after Obama's first election, and after Newtown. The foolish part is buying now, why buy at the peak. I always have a year or two worth so I can ride out this bs.
User avatar
beretta24
State Moderator
 
Posts: 5543
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:54 pm
Location: MN

Next

Return to The Honey Hole

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Boatman and 32 guests