22 ammo Myth??

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, La. Hunter, steve-o, #1wingnut, lostpup, Preacher1011

Re: 22 ammo Myth??

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:45 am

beretta24 wrote:
Locked&Loaded wrote:It's really tough finding .22 ammo here as well. When stores do get it, it's gone in an hour. It's been months and months since I've seen a box of .22 ammo on a shelf. However, I can go buy a truck load of 9mm or .223 on any day of the week. When I've talked to guys at the stores who do sell it, they say people are hoarding it like gold. If a guy was going to hoard ammo, why .22? Certainly not for home defense or for killing anything larger than a rabbit. I don't get it.

Because its what was sold out first after Obama's first election, and after Newtown. The foolish part is buying now, why buy at the peak. I always have a year or two worth so I can ride out this bs.

^^^^ this
I hope someday someone remembers this old dog with kindness and gives me to a puppy.

-Gene Hill

fadetoblack188 wrote:forget i asked.. mods please delete.. the scum bags on this site are overwhelming.
OHIODUCKA5
hunter

Postby Locked&Loaded » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:56 am

beretta24 wrote:
Locked&Loaded wrote:It's really tough finding .22 ammo here as well. When stores do get it, it's gone in an hour. It's been months and months since I've seen a box of .22 ammo on a shelf. However, I can go buy a truck load of 9mm or .223 on any day of the week. When I've talked to guys at the stores who do sell it, they say people are hoarding it like gold. If a guy was going to hoard ammo, why .22? Certainly not for home defense or for killing anything larger than a rabbit. I don't get it.

Because its what was sold out first after Obama's first election, and after Newtown. The foolish part is buying now, why buy at the peak. I always have a year or two worth so I can ride out this bs.

It's the same dang thing that happened with ARs. People lost their minds and thought they'd never be able to get one in the future. I saw shops selling S&W AR sports for 2-grand quicker than they could put them on the shelf. I bought mine for something like 700 bucks 3 years ago and now they're back to $749.
Locked&Loaded
Magic Mike

Postby charlie beard » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:28 am

No 22 ammo around here looked at three stores this AM.
Clerk said lot's of luck.
Reloading supplies also hard to find for rifle and shotgun.
Powder, bullets, and primers.
Plenty of shot $40.00 -$50.00 per bag few places $35.00.
"If you put the Federal Government in charge of the Sahara desert,
in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand"
charlie beard
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:38 am

This is one, long, cruel freakin joke......
I wait 6 months for a stupid permit just to get a pistol....then I do all kinds of research into what I want to buy....I talk to a million people and finally plan to go pick up my gun next week on vacation....and now this...no ammo....
It really takes a pleasurable experience and makes it a frustrating mess....
I'd even be willing to take a road trip to CT or NJ to stock up...then I find out that you need a "CT resident ammo purchase permit"...man....NY didn't even think of that stupid one
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby bighop » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:48 am

I'd ship you a box, but I don't want to be awakened by NYPD banging down my door to take me away.
Rick Hall 2016
He'll turn it all around. Unless he doesn't.
bighop
Sugar Daddy

Postby Slack Tide » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:53 am

bighop wrote:I'd ship you a box, but I don't want to be awakened by NYPD banging down my door to take me away.

Seriously....I can't believe how I have to think these days...you can't even do internet sales in NY anymore...
Can I even go to another state and buy ammo? Jeees...I'm afraid to ask..
I'm supposed to go to A.C. next week...can I even stop in NJ and buy some? Can I bring it back to NY? Such BS that you have to think like this....

How's the ducking?
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:49 am

If I wasn't anchored to that pit of a city by family I would move if I were you. If family isn't holding you back I can't think of a reason to stay in that sorry excuse for a state.

Heck, I'd leave MN because of the weather if it wasn't for my family.
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby KRB » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:10 pm

Same deal for 22mag, Very scarce.
KRB
hunter

Postby t_baker » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:22 pm

KRB wrote:Same deal for 22mag, Very scarce.

I think it's worse than 22
t_baker
hunter

Postby KRB » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:28 pm

t_baker wrote:
KRB wrote:Same deal for 22mag, Very scarce.

I think it's worse than 22

Before it got worse in NY and we could still order ammo online bought a 22mag, checked dozens of ammo sights nothing in 22mag.
KRB
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:00 pm

beretta24 wrote:If I wasn't anchored to that pit of a city by family I would move if I were you. If family isn't holding you back I can't think of a reason to stay in that sorry excuse for a state.

Family or no family, there is no F'n way I would live in NY, NJ, or any other communist state on the left coast with those kinds of laws. Toss Colorado into that list as well! Move and breathe the free air!
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:01 pm

I have been gifting my older bricks of 22 LR to nephews and other family members that were purchased years ago. Birthdays, Christmas, graduations, etc.... It needs to get shot up anyway and I have enough to hold me that I bought way back when it was cheap and you could always find 50 bricks on the store shelf.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby La. Hunter » Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:42 pm

PM sent Slack
La. Hunter
Site Admin

Postby troy_iv » Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:42 pm

The best theory that I've heard for the whole mess is that the loading plants retooled to make 5.56, 9mm, .45, etc, when the "crisis" hit. They threw .22 to the wayside because the premium isn't as high. And they've kept those loading setups, so that the .22 is still behind the curve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
troy_iv
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:48 pm

troy_iv wrote:The best theory that I've heard for the whole mess is that the loading plants retooled to make 5.56, 9mm, .45, etc, when the "crisis" hit. They threw .22 to the wayside because the premium isn't as high. And they've kept those loading setups, so that the .22 is still behind the curve.

That's what I've been hearing too....
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:50 pm

beretta24 wrote:If I wasn't anchored to that pit of a city by family I would move if I were you. If family isn't holding you back I can't think of a reason to stay in that sorry excuse for a state.

It's more about me in my front yard than anything........
Attachments
Earltrim.jpg
Earltrim.jpg (125.01 KiB) Viewed 367 times
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:17 pm

Slack Tide wrote:
troy_iv wrote:The best theory that I've heard for the whole mess is that the loading plants retooled to make 5.56, 9mm, .45, etc, when the "crisis" hit. They threw .22 to the wayside because the premium isn't as high. And they've kept those loading setups, so that the .22 is still behind the curve.

Complete Hogwash. 22 LR set ups have been going full blast since the panic started. The primer material is different. The powder is different, the brass is different, The machines are different. The companies did not stop making or decrease 22 LR production. They maxed it out and have been running extra shifts. They are making millions on the increased sales. Who ever is telling you that needs a firm smack to the side of the head.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:50 pm

I found 52 .22 bullets in an old box I will sell for $10 dollars...... :wink:
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby ibedamn » Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:59 pm

ScaupHunter wrote:
Slack Tide wrote:

Complete Hogwash. 22 LR set ups have been going full blast since the panic started. The primer material is different. The powder is different, the brass is different, The machines are different. The companies did not stop making or decrease 22 LR production. They maxed it out and have been running extra shifts. They are making millions on the increased sales. Who ever is telling you that needs a firm smack to the side of the head.

I have a good friend that works for ATK (Federal, CCI) and he says the same thing as Scaup. More 22 rounds been sold in the last year than any two or three previous years put together.
ibedamn
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:22 pm

beretta24 wrote:

My solution is to just stop shooting. Doesn't bother me one bit, I'll just go fishing or ride dirt bikes or some other alternative.
UmatillaJeff wrote:By his very nature this tends to be a modest man who is loved by woman, children and dogs and well though of in all social circles.
We will call him the 10ga man
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby Underradar » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:50 pm

I get mine shipped up from Mexico. Pancho Villa Fireball .22, $7 a brick.
My lab died, and no one on Duckhuntingchat even cared.

Google I'm feeling lucky: DU biologist stole my car

You may win a fight, but you can never win an argument.
Underradar
hunter

Postby Cujo1 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:13 pm

The problem isn't the manufacturing, it is the hoarding. Point the blame directly at your buddies and friends that are hoarding and keeping people from taking their children plinking.
All turkeys must die!

bighop wrote:Destined to be a child of the system now. Bounced around from house to house, abused, mistreated, earning his way on the streets. There's probably an expensive crack habit and a pair of those hind-leg wheels in his near futre.
Cujo1
hunter

Postby Sgtstadanko707 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:20 pm

wanapasaki wrote:From Cali-Colorado no .22 anywhere, although there is a gun show tomorrow. Might be the only chance I get

I have no problem finding them here in ca. You just have to known what days they come In. Big 5, wal mart ***** and any other big box store has plenty of them. Like others have said they are there at 5 am and gone by 5:05
2013/2014 season
Days's in the field- 44

Number of birds- who cares.
Vegetarian is an old Indian word for " I don't hunt so good"
Sgtstadanko707
hunter

Postby wanapasaki » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:50 pm

Sgtstadanko707 wrote:
wanapasaki wrote:From Cali-Colorado no .22 anywhere, although there is a gun show tomorrow. Might be the only chance I get

I have no problem finding them here in ca. You just have to known what days they come In. Big 5, wal mart ***** and any other big box store has plenty of them. Like others have said they are there at 5 am and gone by 5:05

I know all about Big 5 on thursdays.. I'll just stick with the HMR
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:39 pm

The local shop still sells them for $22 a brick. Unfortunately I'm at work when he opens and he sells out quick.
clampdaddy
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to The Honey Hole