NEW MEMBERS POST UP HERE!!!

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, Preacher1011, steve-o, La. Hunter, lostpup, #1wingnut

Postby 98ramtough » Thu Nov 04, 2004 10:58 am

:welcome: all new hunters.
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby MacAttack » Thu Nov 04, 2004 11:07 am

saintsfan-

I went to high school with Mike Karney. Just thought I would share that and :welcome:
MacAttack
hunter

Postby SOUTHERNBIRD » Thu Nov 04, 2004 11:43 am

Hello guys! I am from West Tennessee and love to duck hunt and goose hunt. I have a friend in Shenandoah (sp)? and will be coming there next week to pheasant hunt with him. Looking forward to seeing your great state!!!! My name is Shane Coats and I am a mortgage broker.
SOUTHERNBIRD
Newb

Postby ok_kid » Thu Nov 04, 2004 8:48 pm

hey whats up fellas. my name is dalton i live in oklahoma. ive only been duck hunting for 2 years but i love it. i am 14
ok_kid
hunter

Postby PharmD10 » Tue Nov 09, 2004 10:58 pm

Well, my name is Brent. I'm a student at the University of Tennessee at Knoxville(go vols). I've been hunting(any and every animal thats legal) since I was old enough, so for about the last 10-12 years, and duck hunting for about the lsat 3 years. Mainly I hunt in middle TN, where there arent many ducks, but I tough it out every year. on the WMA's. I hunt with a Winchester SX2 magnum. I have an almost 3 year old (98 lb.) chocholate lab, who is deathly afraid of guns and loud noises, but makes a lap dog. Just found the site a few days ago and decided I'd join up. Hope to get help or offer help to anyone that needs it.
PharmD10
hunter

Postby HENDU3270 » Wed Nov 10, 2004 1:39 pm

My name is Chris Hendrick, I'm 33 years old and I live in Pearland, Texas (a few miles south of Houston). I started duck hunting about 10 years ago in the bays and marshes around West Galveston Bay. Always seem to hunt the areas where I could float/drag my duck skiff to the hunting area. This is the first year in about four years that I won't have a waterfowl lease to go to. I got kinda spoiled on the lease since it had several freshwater ponds we could just drive up to and unload the gear. I now am trying to scramble to get my equipment in order so I can get back out in the marsh. But I gotta tell ya one thing.....I'm having the time of my life getting everything together. It's all good!!
Fishing was invented to pass the time between Duck Seasons....either duck hunt or get outa my boat!!
HENDU3270
Forum & State Moderator

Postby cast-n-blast » Wed Nov 10, 2004 6:08 pm

My name's Brent & I'm a fly-fishing duckaholic...A Colorado native, I've lived here my entire life except for the four years that I spent in the Navy. Im currently a full time husband & father of two (one on the way), DOD contractor, & college student. On top of that, I'm a part time fly fishing guide & pilot..."How does he find time to hunt", you might say...My reply would be... "I'd rather be hunting than sleeping."

p.s. I have A yellow lab named Aspen's Captain Morgan "MORG" & I shoot a Beretta 390.

:toofunny:
"Hippies...They're everywhere. They wanna save the earth, but all they do is smoke pot and smell bad."

"If God didn't want us to shoot animals...then why'd he make 'em out of meat?"
cast-n-blast
hunter

Postby 351w » Sat Nov 13, 2004 12:18 am

hello everyone my real name is brian but i activly participate in several other forums so i keep my same name for every one (makes life easier)
i just found this forum a couple days ago and have read more than 100 posts since and feel i have already added 10 yrs of knowledge to my upcoming hunts.
i have moderated in the past for another forum and had some fun doing so but didnt like the time i had to spend keeping on top of it all cause the site was pretty big.
i have a 14' boat and a set of mallard and woody dekes to date but am always looking to buy others.
i have just started really getting serious in the past 2 yrs, got a nice woody mounted last yr, before then i just stood along the bank of the river and shot a duck or 2 every now and then over usually 6 mallard dekes.
i do all river hunting but have tried the field hunting for geese last yr for the first time. the area i hunt in PA is pretty slow and i am looking around for some new areas.
i have aquired permission to hunt a farm pond for the first time this yr so i might try that too.
i have a couple friends that also duck hunt but do most of my hunting alone which can be boring on those slow days.
i am the type of person who doesnt expect to kill something everytime i got out.
i enjoy just being out in nature.
i would have to say all i hunt are puddle ducks but i hunt everything else we have to hunt in PA like deer, bear, turkeys, doves, crows, grouse, pheasants and anything else i forgot to mention like coyotes.
yes basically if its in season and i see it , it usually dies.
just call me killer !
351w
hunter

Postby mallardhunter » Sat Nov 13, 2004 12:21 am

:welcome: I keep my same name for every forum too, and I also use the same picture. I like it so everyone knows me.
Keep working millions on welfare depend on you!!!
If hunting is a sport I am the M.V.P.
www.goosehuntingchat.com
www.nodakoutdoors.com
mallardhunter
hunter

Postby 351w » Sat Nov 13, 2004 10:11 am

i was getting a little long winded last night so let me finish off by saying i do have a dalmation but he doesnt like water and it scared to death at even the sight of a gun.
the only thing i have been able to train him on is a pump pellet rifle and he loves to chase down a squirrel or bird when you knock them down.
i tend to stay in water that i know because i only have an 8hp johnson on my boat.
and i hunt everything with a mossberg 500 that i bought myself when i was around 20 yrs old.
i have killed more game with that gun than the average guy kills in his lifetime.
before my moss 500 i used a bolt action 20 gauge which required making a killing shot on the first squeeze of the trigger.
i am 32 yrs old, married for 4 yrs with no kids and have way to many hobbies and toys.
just call me killer !
351w
hunter

New guy from Connecticut

Postby Citori16 » Sat Nov 13, 2004 3:46 pm

Hello all,

I'm normally an upland hunter, especially grouse and woodcock, but I've always wanted to duck hunt as well. I've had some decoys for a while and finally found a good spot to use them. I took my first couple of mallards yesterday, and while I'd like to say I called them in out of the sky, the fact is they swam into my area and I stood up to flush them :mrgreen: Being an upland hunter and having my setter with me for companionship, I commanded "Fetch" and then about 2 dozen Mallards got up and relocated :eek: I got them to hesitate with a couple of comeback calls but they made for the next county. A small pod of them stayed nearby but would not move until I jumped them later in the day...they were about 60 yds away so I didn't chance it.

Personally, I just love to hunt birds. I get a real thrill out of figuring out where they are or are going to be. I shoot a Citori 16 ga and occaisionally a Mossberg Ulti-Mag, though I'm finding less reasons to use the Ulti....when I get the courage to put a scope on the Citori I'll sell the Ulti :laughing: Eventually I'd like to devote my day-offs Dec and those "Duck Days" during Oct and Nov to waterfowl. I know I'll need some more dekes and at least a canoe. I hope to pick up some valuable tips from you guys, and maybe someday I can return the favor to you or another new guy.

I'm 34 y. o., married with 2 kids and an English Setter. Fly-fishing, fly-tying, birdhunting, reloading are my main hobbies but I tend to find something new every few months to keep things interesting.

In any case, I have these 2 ducks and am not sure whether to hang them a couple of days or clean them now. What do you recommend?
Did you say woodcock or woodduck?
Citori16
hunter

From Western Maryland

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Thu Nov 18, 2004 6:42 am

Hi all,

I joined up on the 12th and missed this post some how. I have been a big rabbit, squirrel and deer hunter my whole life. Be came a big bow hunter for deer butdon't find the need for it as much any more. I still like to but I enjoy the rabbit and squirrel type more. Being able to take the kids and buddies and talk a little while hunting. I meet a new friend and he took me duck hunting. I have always wanted to go but never jumped in. Boy, did I like it. Could not shoot the first day as the farmer did not pull the cows into the barn until after shooting light was gone but having the mallards fly over really bit me hard.

I also like fly fishing and fishing in general but stopped using flies for a while with the kids. They never seem to stay far enough for it to be safe. I also like to make like to make wooden bows and arrows from scratch, just how the Indians used to.

Later, Have a cold one on me. :smile: :salude:

Rob
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

New to the forums

Postby WhiteRiverguy » Tue Nov 23, 2004 12:41 pm

Hey all... My name is Jason, I've lived in Arkansas all my life. First went duck huntin when I was 10 years old...20 years later and I'm still hooked! I mainly hunt the bottoms down here when the water is right...other than that I hunt a few rice and bean fields and the rivers around here.

I hope to get to know a lot of you guys and find out who's bustin the ducks! :smile:
WhiteRiverguy
hunter

Postby Elmer Fudd » Fri Nov 26, 2004 9:28 pm

Hello,
I'm Bob from Indiana..This is my 1st season duck hunting/goose hunting.
I was introduced to waterfowl hunting by a friend that has about 25 plus years into it.He owns the deeks,the boat and the dog and so far I'm a new fan to duck hunting.Do to my work schedule I/ve only log about 20 hrs total and have plugged 2 mallard hens,1 mallard drake,2 woody's,1 black duck and 2 non ducks(rookie mistake while the veteran was on a retrieve of a cripple with the dog and I was on watch over the deeks.)
The boat is a 24 pontoon dedicated for duck hunting and looks like a 24 ft patch of cat tails and goose grass and seats 4 , plus dog and 4 dozen duck decoys and 2 doz goose deeks.Dog is a 3 yr Black lab.
I shoot a Benelli Nova,Camo using #2 & BB steelshot 3.5/ My hunting partner shoots the same and another guy uses a 10 ga Browning for honkers and an 870 for ducks
Hunting has been mostly on a public lake.
Still learning...Glad to meet you'all
Upside Down & Feet Twitchin...
The HeviShot way
Elmer Fudd
hunter

Postby Reed » Sun Nov 28, 2004 2:03 pm

Great site guys,

I came across it a few weeks ago and have really enjoyed it. I'm 21 years old from central MN and have really gotten into duck hunting the last few years. Now, I go out every chance I get, even though I should probably spend a little more time studying and going to class. I have a 2 and a half year old golden retriever and he is becoming an awesome duck dog. I hunt mostly in Northern MN where my parents have a cabin along with some hunting land that borders another lake and has several good ponds on it. Unfortunately, it seems like each year gets worse, as far as numbers of ducks. This year, even the woodies were scarce. And during the last week of the season, the bills and other divers were non existent. Luckily, my dad and I made our first 2 trips to ND and lets just say that they made up for the rest of the season. We're heading down to Missouri to next week to hunt with one of my dad's buddies. Unfortunately, it will probably be the last hunt of the year.

I hope everyone has a great season!
Reed
hunter

Postby triplebeard » Mon Nov 29, 2004 2:17 pm

Hello, Fellow Duckaholics!

I came across the site doing a search on 'Duck Hunting' and I was very impressed by everyone's enthusiasm for the sport. I live on Lake Murray in SC. I've been duck huntin for 10 years now. I love to get up early every morning to hit the water and perform the sacred ritual of spreading dekes, drinking coffee, call at birds, and occasionally take a few home! I'm 32, married, and have 3 beautiful daughters who are having a fit for Dad to take them duck hunting. I work for a chemical manufacturing plant on 12hr swing shift so I get a week off every month which is great for hunting season. I just purchased my first boat- Xpress 17' duck boat with beavertail blind and I am the envy of my hunting buddies. :laughing: They live near Santee Cooper so I end up driving 1 1/2 hrs to go hunting with them in the swamps. I love to hunt, fish, camp, and listen to music. Good luck to everyone this season!
You gotta be tough if you're gonna be STUPID!
triplebeard
hunter

yo

Postby Pintailjoe » Mon Nov 29, 2004 7:06 pm

joined the site sunday im from chicago and hunt alot for a lot of different animals but my favorite is waterfowl. Ive been on many sites and know a lot of people around theu.s.
Pintailjoe
hunter

Postby bushwacking » Wed Dec 01, 2004 6:44 pm

ive been hunting since 12 i like ducks the best i have a dog to old to hunt now but was a good dog i sit over mallards and teal no boat
quack quack boom

bushwacking
bushwacking
hunter

Looking for a good site

Postby SCoutdoorsman » Wed Dec 01, 2004 10:29 pm

Live in SC on the savannah river. Been hunitng for about 13 yrs now love the outdoors. My time is spent at work in law enforcement and volunteer fireman in the spare time. Got a lovely wife and 2 boys and of course my little girl (casey black lab). Have not hunted everything out there yet but open for just about anything.
Everyone must believe in something and I believe I'll go hunting. When men bond something must die.
SCoutdoorsman
Forum & State Moderator

About Me

Postby DUCKSLAYER4LIFE » Wed Dec 01, 2004 11:25 pm

Hi,
My name is Arik, I'm 17 years old and have been hunting since i was 8. I live in southern MN and love to hunt ducks. i normally hunt ducks over big water and sometimes small sloughs. I've had some succes wit hmallrads in the field the last two years. I shoot a Benelli Nova, and want a super black eagle. I normally hunt with my uncle paul and his dog molly. My favorite duck is probaly the drake woody. I have a drake woody, 3 drake mallards, a banded goose, and a pheasant mounted. I love the hunt divers and espically buffleheads. I really like the idea of these chat lines so that hunters and hunters alike can talk about the good stuff in life.

"BOOM" Take Em' boys
DUCKSLAYER4LIFE
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Thu Dec 02, 2004 6:09 am

Hi my name is Brian. I've deer hunted since I can remember, and a couple years ago somebody turned me onto duck hunting. I can't get enough of it! I own a one year old German Shorthair Pointer, which I used for upland work this year and next year she will be my new duck hunting partner as well. I'm currently in school and studying Wildlife Biology. Great site here.
Brian
"Because a duck is just a 3 pound critter"
Keith Allen
gsphunter
hunter

Postby bluegill » Fri Dec 03, 2004 12:56 pm

My name is Rhu, 19 years old, and i'm studying wildlife management at SFA in Nacogdoches, TX. I started hunting when i was 13. Ever since then i've been obsessed with it. I hunt for ducks, deer, hogs, and dove in east and south texas. Awesome site.
bluegill
hunter

Postby SLIM » Mon Dec 06, 2004 10:01 am

Just wanted to drop a line to all the other duck hunters out there. My name is Hunter and I'm from TN, so it's kind of understood that I'd be a duck hunter. I've been going since I can remember. I'm now 21 years old, and a senior in college. I've hunted in west TN for my whole life, and I'm finally getting to go to Arkansas in couple of weeks for a few days. Anyways, look forward to seeing what everyone has to say on here. Stay safe.
"A good duck call is like a good woman. Happy is the man that finds both on his short stay on Earth."

- "Duck Commander", Phil Robertson -
SLIM
hunter

Postby Giv'em3 » Tue Dec 07, 2004 4:56 pm

Hello all, Love the site. Seems many on here want to learn and not just brag, that's good. I'm from Western Kentucky and have been guiding duck and goose hunting for 8 years. Not anymore, I got tired of putting up with stupid people who think they know everything about hunting.LOL I spend way to much money on hunting stuff but that's ok because I'm single and can.LOL My father was a guide for 25 years so I just followed his foot steps.
Last edited by Giv'em3 on Fri Sep 02, 2005 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don't argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

If that don't light your Fire, your woods WET!!!!
Giv'em3
hunter

Postby Capt. H » Thu Dec 09, 2004 9:03 pm

Located in northeast Louisiana. Guide during duck season in Jones, La. and Wilmot, Ark. for the Bartholomew Club. Airline pilot by profession, duck guide and shade tree atv/outboard mechanic by love and choice. Hunt both fields and approx. 6100 acres of the finest green timber left in the country on public ground in Ashley County, Arkansas. Collector of Olt D2 calls (which are becoming harder to find) that I spend time with modifying myself with a three-sided file, dremel toll, and custom cut mylar. Remington (Ithaca) SP10 is gun of choice.
Capt. H
Newb

PreviousNext

Return to The Honey Hole