NEW MEMBERS POST UP HERE!!!

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, Preacher1011, lostpup, La. Hunter, steve-o, #1wingnut

Getting back into it

Postby hood » Fri Dec 10, 2004 8:38 am

My name is Casey and opening weekend (Nov.20) was the first time I went hunting since I was 15 and man it feels great! I am 27 yrs old and a physical therapist assistant in Perry, Georgia. As far as hobbies go, I live to play guitar and sing in my rock band. I started hunting ducks when I was 11. Once I shot my first wood duck drake it was on. I stopped hunting at fifteen because all the 500+ acres I used to hunt and fish on got leased out to a hunting/fishing club which, from what I understand, is killing/catching everything in sight. What a shame. Some people, even twice as old as I am, obviously don't understand the meaning of the word "moderation."
A couple of weeks before Thanksgiving I was asked by my buddy to go duck hunting at a nearby public lake. I was hesitant since I hadn't shot a gun in 12 yrs. We bought some shells and clay pigeons to practice. After I hit 18 in a row, two at a time, I decided to give hunting another try. I'M SO GLAD I DID!! I having a blast even though we didn't get but a couple on the lake. However, I found a creek that some of my kinfolk own and it is a honey hole!! Lots of woodies around there. As far as guns, I'm using a Browning A500, modified choke, #2 steel. I wish I had a good hunting dog but hey, my new chest waders came in yesterday. Looking forward to tomorrow, season went out on the 28th, comes back in tomorrow. I'm gonna be feeling rough, got a gig tonight, get home at 2:00, wake up at 4:30, head to the water, ain't it fun!!!!
hood
hunter

Postby Camo Man » Sun Dec 12, 2004 5:54 pm

I have been hunting waterfowl for a "few" years. I usually goose hunt for a few weekends, then I puddle duck hunt for the first 4 weeks of duck season and then diver hunt the last 4 weeks. I hunt the early season from a Bankes Intruder sneakbox and the late season from a kevlar MLB-Zack Taylor sneakbox. I have and use some other boats too; just not as often as I use the sneaks. I usually hunt with a Browning A-5 Stalker, but I also use several other guns including a SBE. My favorite decoys for the early season are G&H and for the late season Herter's 72s and Toledo Decoys Mags. I usually get in a few hunts each season at Lake St. Clair, Long Long Point, Ontario, and a few other diver duck traditional gunning sites. I also like to get down to Missouri for the nuisance Snow Goose season each Spring. The rest of the year I save my money for duck hunting season.
Camo Man
hunter

Postby sonnyhenry » Sun Dec 12, 2004 9:42 pm

I am new to the forum also. I have a five hundred acre grain in the Northwest corner of the Mississippi delta, about forty miles south of Memphis, TN. I flood the farm each duck season after planting corn and Japnese Millet for habitat. I shoot a Remington 870. I also raise and train Working British Labrador Retrievers. I enjoy reading the forum and hope that I can contribute something worthwhile at some point.

Good Hunting!!
RELAX, God IS IN CONTROL!!!
sonnyhenry
Newb

Postby duckaholic » Mon Dec 13, 2004 7:14 pm

Hi all,
My name is Brian Hetrick and have been duck hunting for about 3 years. I can not believe how much fun I have been missing. Im 37 years young and wish I had started much earlier in life! You can not believe all the ducks I see every time out in the field here in Northern Ohio. Or maybe you do believe. I use a Remington 870 Express with mod. to full choke depending on how close the ducks are. My best friend told me I needed to try out duck hunting, I said sure what the heck. WOW.....Unbelievable! I have gotton two ducks mounted so far, a Big Hooded maganser and a Wood duck. What colors on these ducks.....Rambling.....Im a newbee here but love that chat and the great stories and the people. :mrgreen:
duckaholic
Newb

Postby jj king » Tue Dec 14, 2004 3:43 pm

I live in Chapel Hill south of Nashville. I hunt around the area and mostly on the Duck River. I have hunted everything in the state and love the outdoors. Went opening day on the river. Saw a few but no shooting. :salude:
jj king
Newb

Postby Merganser » Thu Dec 16, 2004 8:08 am

My name is J. K. - I just found this sight last week. I am 60 yrs. old. Introduced to hunting as a boy by my dad and been doing it ever since. I hunt a flooded corn/rice field impound in Hyde County, NC. I also hunt South River and New River for divers out of my duck boat. I shoot a Browning Gold 3" and usually use HeviShot #6's. Enjoy shooting any kind of duck but mostly want to decoy a Black Duck in and shoot him!
Merganser
hunter

Postby SCoutdoorsman » Thu Dec 16, 2004 10:01 am

:salude: Glad to have all you new comers, make yourself at home and let us know if you need anything. :welcome:
Everyone must believe in something and I believe I'll go hunting. When men bond something must die.
SCoutdoorsman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ATMO » Fri Dec 17, 2004 8:53 am

Well, I've reading this forum for about 3 months now and I figured it was about time I joined in on the fun. Glad to be here.
It's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.
Lonesome Dove
ATMO
Newb

Postby MattM1 » Fri Dec 17, 2004 11:43 am

Stumbled across this site and really enjoy it. My name is Matt and I'm a Colorado duck hunter. Currently don't do much goose hunting due to limited hunting time and preference for quackers (you know the story work too much hunt too little). I hunt rivers mainly on both public and private lands. I usually go with a buddy or by myself. We use chessies and I'm currently training one now, he's 9 months old and should be ready next year. Again I really like all the helpful information here and appreciate all the great members!

Thanks for the welcome,
Matt
MattM1
hunter

Postby JWG » Fri Dec 17, 2004 6:46 pm

Just happened to be looking up stuff on a search engine for a 10 GA and happened to see a bit of info on here. Use to be on Waterfowlers site but you can't get on the stuff you want unless you pay. Still a good site though. Anyway, my name is Judd. Live in Aberdeen, SD. I absolutely love to hunt and fish. Listen to music too loud and after the hunt is through, tend ta tip a few. I guess there are still some (very few) geese around but after the weather this weekend, it’s done. Winds 20-30mph and wind chills of -15. Just fine though, there may not be ice to fish on but there are plenty of coyotes that will meet the fate of my new .204 Ruger and I can't wait. Well, happy to be a part of all this

Good hunting
Judd
JWG
hunter

Postby Swamp Puppy » Sun Dec 19, 2004 8:29 pm

sorry, i didn't bother to read through all 11 pages of intros...i guess i'll just run into people i like talking to along the way. as for MY intro. i just posted it in the Puddle Duck Forum. so, if you are really that interested you can read it there. :thumbsup:

:salude:

good luck and good hunting

-Ed
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Postby Isitshootintimeyet? » Sun Dec 19, 2004 8:33 pm

hey all! just moved here to north carolina from upstate new york, and tryin to find places to duck hunt down here. already have the big spots, on the eastern coast, but just looking for some local spots here in graham, alamance county or the surrounding areas any help is appreciated. thanx all hope to hear from you soon.
Isitshootintimeyet?
Newb

Postby MSDuckmen » Mon Dec 20, 2004 8:13 pm

What a great site this is turning into.
Glad to see all these young hunters interested in a sport I have dedicated my life to.

Don't visit here like I should but I do drop by to see how things are going.

Just another old man that likes computers and ducks. My first name is Dan. I hate new battery operated devices for hunting and have been call a purist by many.

Good luck to all of you and remember this heritage rides on your shoulders and you should treat it with respect.
The true measure of a Man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good.
MSDuckmen.com
Gunmaintenance.com
MSDuckmen
Newb

Postby Bret » Tue Dec 21, 2004 9:23 am

Howdy it is good to see everyone.

Bret
Bret
hunter

Postby ifitflies_itdies » Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:47 pm

Just joined today.I live in Giles County, Tennessee.I just got into waterfowl about 3 or 4 years ago.I'm 17 and in our hunting group i;m the ''caller''.I love to call and work the ducks.I have a Mossberg 835.I drive a 94 toyota 4x4 with a 14' fiberglass duck boat behind it. I haven't been duck hunting long but i love it much more than any other game animal.I play baseball for my highschool, but would rather be huntin.We hunt the Elk River and Richland creek and a few choice lakes and sloughs. :salude:
Wes Rodgers
ifitflies_itdies
Newb

Postby Swamp Puppy » Tue Dec 21, 2004 7:14 pm

MSDuckman - i do believe i recognize you from the refuge gang. probably wouldn't have made the connection had it not been from the recent talk about the 'fuge gang hunt. i don't post there much in the general forums..prefer to stick to my own flyway. i go by Mossberg 3.5 there, though i doubt you have seen me.

-Ed
Friends Don't Let Friends Shoot Mossbergs.
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Postby brucemacp » Tue Dec 21, 2004 9:38 pm

Good idea guys, my name is Bruce MacPherson, friends call me Mac. I live in Edmonds Wa. and hunt the Skagit flats and Willapa Bay, I have a place on the coast too so I split my hunting spots. I've been addicted to this bird hunting thing for at least 40 years, I shoot an 870 Wingmaster that I've gone through a few barrels on and all my younger, and older, friends tell me I need to get a new gun that will shoot at least 3" shells but I think I'm superstitious about changing that old gun out it's been good to me, and still is. I've got a big brown retriever named Kobie who's part chessie, choc lab and I think maybe some hound blood who was given to me by a guy that couldn't keep him and told me he'd never amount to much but he's one of the best dogs I've ever hunted with and I've had a few dogs. I have been involved and am a committe member with DU Edmonds chapter and am in the process of building one of Devlins duck boats. If any of you are in the neighborhood or want any local info feel free to give me a holler. I really enjoy this forum. :salude:
Kobie the wonder dog says" Hunting seasons over? Wake me up around noon"
brucemacp
hunter

Postby Bucky193 » Tue Dec 21, 2004 10:51 pm

Many people call me Bucky193
If only my dog could talk and cook I wouldn't need a wife.
Bucky193
hunter

Postby big_countryks » Sat Dec 25, 2004 7:40 am

Names Tom Ponce,
First year duck hunting so found this site while looking for advice. Hunt Quail/Pheasant and Deer but never ducks before. Live about 20 miles west of Wichita close to Cheney Lake. Got some buddies from work with all the equipment and the dog so I can leave the poor Weimaraner at home. I use a Winchester 1300 with 3in shells. 25 years old, married for 2 years with a 14 month old daughter.
"When the Buffalo are gone, we will hunt mice, for we are hunters, and we want our freedom..." (Sitting Bull)
"Republicans believe every day is 4th of July, but Democrats believe every day is April 15." (Ronald W. Reagan)
big_countryks
hunter

Postby Novamag » Sun Dec 26, 2004 12:59 am

I just found this website today. I grew up in Kennewick Wash. and worked there for a time before the place got overrun by peoples. I hunted the Richland "Y" for those of you in that area (is that one island still outside the city limits?, man it was good). Also Paterson before it became managed, north of Pasco, Burbank and other spots. I live near Ellensburg now which is also growing fast, damn I must be popular! I have 4 labs (right now) and a GSP, boat and shoot a Nova of course. I'm one of these fellas who gave up on duck hunting because of steel shot then got into the 3.5s and that made a world of difference for me so I'm back in it. I know 3.5s aren't very popular to some but I tried EVERYTHING else and It just didn't work. I even got my 12 year old a Rem. Super mag for xmas this year. I usually hunt the Wanapum and Moses Lake areas. Getting back into this has shown me a whole new way to blow $$$$$$$$.
Mike
Perseverance- Doubling your effort when you've lost your aim.

Vegatarian-Old indian word for crappy hunter
Novamag
hunter

hey fellow waterfowlers

Postby TXwaterfowler » Sun Dec 26, 2004 1:22 am

Hey Yall

Just stumbled on this site yesterday and absoultly love it. theres not a bunch of hype and trash like on most sites. its all good guys sharing ideas and experence. i seen someones quote that i thought was great. it went... saying guns kill people is like saying the spoon is what made Rosie O Donell fat... :toofunny: :toofunny: better not get started on those anti guns and hunting bastards
TXwaterfowler
hunter

Postby SCoutdoorsman » Sun Dec 26, 2004 12:42 pm

Glad to have all you new comers :thumbsup: :salude:
Everyone must believe in something and I believe I'll go hunting. When men bond something must die.
SCoutdoorsman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby BLKLABMAN » Sun Dec 26, 2004 3:30 pm

New Member,

My name is Jim, and I have been hunting since I was 10. Which was in 78.
I have trained Labs since I was 15, and have run FT/HT in AKC and UKC. In the last few years I have been turned off by the success by any measure some have taken, and have turned more to Sporting Clays just for fun. I have 3 Labs a 5 year old YLF Sunny, and 2 BLF's, Both 3, one named Katie and the other Lady. A CLF will be added soon. I shoot an SBE II, a SuperSport, a BPS, and Browning BSS. I hunt flooded/dry corn and rice fields, so no need for boats. I like G&H and Drop Zone decoys. I hunt both ducks and geese. I am active in Delta Waterfowl, Ducks Unlimited, Quail Unlimited, and I am a member of the NRA.
BLKLABMAN
hunter

Postby REDLEGGER » Mon Dec 27, 2004 3:16 pm

well it sounds like I'm alot like the rest of ya/ I'm a 30yr plus veteran duck hunter. i hunt mostly in oklahoma.married to a great wife and have 3 boys who all love to hunt like me. i have worn out a couple of mossbergs and 1 870 but just keep shooting them. we hunt ducks and geese on rivers and pot holes and fields. have been thur some great dogs chessys labs and 1 springer. working on a lab now this is a great site to pick all kinds of good info even if you have hunted 30 yrs there are always new idea's out there and endless experiences. if you never want to have tangled line in your dek bag i have posted a way on the decoy form that should work great for you it is 25 yrs of field test and has not failed me yet. my name is Kenny and i just love to hunt ducks. i don't do as much shooting any more because i like to let my boys and ther friends do the trigger pulling i run the video and manage the dog and eat and drink coffee. remember God only give you so many sunrise in your life so i try not to miss any. "take a kid hunting you will never regret it" :thumbsup:
" take a kid hunting you will never regret it"

" God, FAMILY, HUNTING IN THAT ORDER"
REDLEGGER
hunter

Postby ibhuntin » Mon Dec 27, 2004 7:08 pm

Hello all. I stumbled accross this board while browsing around. There is alot of excellent information on here and alot of veteran hunters from the looks of it also. I have been duck and goose hunting for about 15 years now in idaho. I have done a little bit of field hunting but mostly either jump shooting or decoying. I am an accomplished caller for ducks but not so much for geese :)
***All your waterfowl are belong to me***
ibhuntin
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to The Honey Hole