NEW MEMBERS POST UP HERE!!!

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, steve-o, La. Hunter, Preacher1011, lostpup, #1wingnut

Howdy all

Postby IaDuckHunter » Thu Dec 30, 2004 12:48 am

Hi I have been hunting waterfowl for 30 Yrs or so in Iowa . Hunt mostly the mississippi flyway am looking at getting a 18X54 Gator Trax tunnel hull with a 35 hyper drive if anyone has any info on this set up I would appericiate it I have had a 18HP Go-Devil for about 8 yrs and its has been a work horse no trouble at all but I am moving up to a bigger boat this year. Hunt mostl back water sloughs .
IaDuckHunter
hunter

Hi

Postby TJC » Fri Dec 31, 2004 7:19 pm

Hi my name is Tom. I am from Jefferson County, Missouri-SW of St. Louis. I have only been waterfowling for 2 years now. We usually go to one of the goose clubs in Ill. for a couple of days. Haven't hunted ducks much at all-no place to go :thumbsdown: I mostly hunt big game with a handgun. I just returned from my 3rd trip to Africa-big time fun!! Looking forward to really getting into waterfowl hunting.
TJC
hunter

Postby 870 » Sat Jan 01, 2005 8:47 pm

Hi I'm Don, I hunt the St Lawrence River & Eastern end of Lake Ontario. I can’t remember the first time Dad set my diaper in the blind. He didn’t work during duck season, so Mom made him take me. Today I think they call that child abuse, but I did the same thing to my boys. I tried deer hunting, but I'd rather watch wood rot. I hunt puddlers, geese, and divers, I prefer divers. When it’s cold and nasty, no one in their right mind is out there at 4:30AM. , with water temps at 38. It’s just my chessie and me. Your life jacket is only to make the body recovery easier . A stiff northwest wind and you just know the birds will fly today. People look at me and say, man your crazy to be out there, I smile and say I am crazy not to be. Only us diver hunters are out there. A 20 foot boat looks small facing 4ft rollers then the wave on top of that, but if it were easy the deer hunters would be out there. You Lakers know what I am talking about, hunting divers is worse than a drug, it grabs your soul.
Arise Kill and Eat Acts 10:13
Last edited by 870 on Wed Jan 05, 2005 3:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
State Moderator

Postby travo » Mon Jan 03, 2005 3:02 pm

hello, my name is travo, and im a duckaholic. :thumbsup: ive been hunting ducks for 5 years now,mostly in se SD, but have taken a few trips back home to nw MN. my main duck hunting accomplice is my freind Jim, and his dog Texi Anastasia.(named by his daughter)the chocolate lab waterfowling wonderdog. we hunt alot of public land around here, and usuallly get most of our birds. our only complaint is that we cant seem to get the mallards like we like to. after a combined 60-70 ducks or so in a year, maybe 10 will be greenheads. the rest are gads,teal,wigeon,woodies,and a few divers. any suggestions would be helpful.
junior member of ODHA,incorrigible
travo
hunter

Postby Greenheadgetter » Mon Jan 03, 2005 5:27 pm

HI every one my name is Mike and I presently attend Mercyhurst College in Erie Penn. I have been a Duck Hunter for 2 years now and have recently sold My bow and slug gun for more decoys. I mostly hunt divers on lake ontario but i often chase puddles on the many bays off lake ontario. i hunt with 6 other guys 1 brother and 5 cuzins. The thanksgiving and cristmas breaks allow for 3 weeks of pure duckin. i have 2 boats and no dog. nothing gets my heart going faster than seenin Divers on the strings!
Greenheadgetter
hunter

geeze I'm feeling old....

Postby redcloud86 » Tue Jan 04, 2005 11:37 am

I've been hunting 27 years, teaching hunters ed and bowhunters ed for 10 years. Just started getting serious about waterfowl this year (hunting consisted of more than pond jumping or with a buddies setup). Really got the bug this year. Still married, I think. My wife thinks I spend too damn much time hunting, but I had that hunting clause when we married and highly recommend it to anyone considering it. Two great kids 7&4, and a dog that listens most of the time.

Looking for info to help avoid some mistakes and came across this site.

I live in southeast NE.
redcloud86
hunter

Postby texanduckslayer » Sun Jan 09, 2005 10:43 am

my name is sheldon im 17 this year was actually my first year of duck hunting was always a big deer hunter gave ducks a try and fell in love its alot of fun and very exciting. i hunt with a few different shotguns mainly 870 express lakes,ponds, some fields, hunting is my life
ducks dropping like flies
texanduckslayer
hunter

Postby 870 » Sun Jan 09, 2005 2:51 pm

Hi duckslayer;

I’m glad to see you tried duckhunting. My sons invited some of their deerhunting friends to go. They to fell in love with it for the same reasons you did. To us it wasn’t a great day only 4 or 5 birds. To them it was a great day. Thy not only saw but shot what they were hunting for. If you ever need any help with questions drop me a line

State Moderator

Postby sixshot » Mon Jan 10, 2005 9:17 am

OK..........My first name is Six. I use to hunt ducks here in N. West La. but the last few years we have mostly just bird watched (coots, crows, commies, etc...). I use a variety of shotguns with my favorite probably being my Browning A-5. I recently bought a rusky O/U that I have not gotten use to yet (and maybe never will). We hunt a public lake that has never been known as duck heaven, but we use to get enough shooting to make it worth your while. We use what ever decoys will stay for a whole season. I shoot only sixshot 3 inch or 2 3/4 depending on my mood. If you have never tried them over decoys you need to. Deadly o'l boy.

I wish someone had the answers to all of the questions and gripes about DU. If duck numbers are consistent like they say...where are they?? I know everyone will say the weather is to blame, but for the last four years ??. Something is wrong. Maybe you guys up north can help. Are there any birds up there at all??

I know for a fact that when you get millions of dollars involved those getting the money will always want to keep it comming in no matter what the story has to be.
sixshot
hunter

Postby camron the duck slayer » Wed Jan 12, 2005 11:06 pm

HI my name is Camron and i've been hooked on duck hunting my whole life (well since i was 6. oln did the job ) Thanks :umm:
camron the duck slayer
hunter

Postby camron the duck slayer » Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:56 pm

:welcome: Hello My name is camron and ive been hooked on duck hunting since i was six and i just love it is awesome. Elma Washington Camorn Beerbower :hammering:
They Fly they Die
camron the duck slayer
hunter

Postby bhack » Sat Jan 15, 2005 9:20 am

Hello,
My name is Brian Hackman, I'm 29 and I live in Indiana. I've only been duck hunting for about 5 years and I love it. I'm basically teaching myself, but get to hunt with an "old pro" a couple times of year. I have a Choc lab and a Chessie. They're good dogs but, like me, have alot to learn yet. I shoot an old Rem 11-87 mostly shoot 3" 2's and 4's. I wish that I would have started hunting when I was younger. I just cant get enough of it, from scouting to practicing calling to actually hunting, I love it all. I just wish I had more time to devote. I work full time and attend college at nights and on top of that have a new baby at home. I have plenty of questions so I'm sure you'll be hearing from me often.
bhack
hunter

Postby 870 » Sat Jan 15, 2005 6:03 pm

Hi Brian,

I'm glad to here you love to duck hunt. I'm 48, and have been duck hunting all my life. Even before I knew it my Dad was taking me. Mom made him. My family has been hunting on the St Lawrence River since the 1830s. When it comes hunting its all I know. I do hunt other things but my passion is duck hunting. I won't pretend to have all the answers, but I would love to answer any questions you may have.
State Moderator

Postby SLAMMINERIE » Mon Jan 17, 2005 7:34 pm

HELLO MY NAME IS ROBERT I LIVE IN MARBLEHEAD OHIO RIGHT ON LAKE ERIE I HUNT FEILDS AND THE LAKE I HAVE NUMEROUS BOATS TENDER BOAT
20FOOT ALASKAN LUND
18 FOOT TRACKER
LAYOUT BOAT M,LB AND A UFO
OTHER BOATS RANGER 522VX
12 FOOT JOHN BOAT
DECOYS I USE RESTLES,TELEDOS,HETERS AND A FEW GHG
GUNS A FEW DIFFERNT ONES FRANCHI,BROWNING GOLD,REMINGTON 11-87,RUGER RED LABEL O/U
JOB I AM A PLASTICS ENGINEER
HUNTED FOR 20 YRS
FROM AFRICA TO ALASKA VARIETY OF GAME
GEMSBOCK TO PRARIE DOGS
FAVORITE IS DUCK HUNTING
IF ANT QUESTIONS JUST ASK I AM OPEN FOR ANY COMMENTS OR QUESTIONS
SLAMMINERIE
hunter

Postby sittinduck » Tue Jan 18, 2005 5:36 pm

I'm new to Duckhuntingchat.com but not new to duck hunting. I've been hunting for about 3 yrs now and I love it. I live in Georgia where the duck hunting is less than adequate for me. I am looking to get out of GA and do some hunting else where., but for now, if anyone from GA wants to get together and go sometime let me know. I'm always looking for new opportunities to meet fellow hunters and hunt some different places. I have a few good spots myself
I hope to be retired by 30, huntin by 6:30.
sittinduck
hunter

Postby SCoutdoorsman » Tue Jan 18, 2005 9:01 pm

:welcome: To all the new comers. We are glad to have you.
Everyone must believe in something and I believe I'll go hunting. When men bond something must die.
SCoutdoorsman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby shrpshtr » Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:30 am

i guess i need to add a post here to get my official welcome...;). my name is ryan and i am addicted to hunting. i will hunt anything at anytime. big & small game, upland game, waterfowl, and predators; you name it, and i'll try to hunt it. most recently i have started pursuing ducks. at first, it was just something else to hunt so i would load up with a few buds and head west to AR. we had a few good and a few not-so-good hunts over there. about 2 years ago i had to undergo shoulder surgery and with rehab missed 2 seasons of hunting anything (except with a .22). it didn't take long for me to realize how much i missed it. especially the ducks. i never thought anything would compare to deer and turkey hunting on the priority list. i have become absolutely infatuated with duck hunting...

as i mentioned in a couple of other posts, i haven't spent much time trying to hunt locally. i want that to change and would like any help from any SC members they can give. location, gear, groups to get involved with, etc. would all be a tremendous help. i have a thread over in the SC forum area but have gotten little feedback.

btw, i have really been enjoying the forum the last couple of weeks. thanks.
shrpshtr
hunter

Postby alducks1 » Sun Jan 23, 2005 2:29 pm

Ok---Im here! Saw this site referred to on the Fuge by some yayhoo that got kicked off!!LOL!
You can never have enough camo!
alducks1
hunter

Postby txquackhead » Sun Jan 23, 2005 9:19 pm

Hey,new to this site and to any site.I live hunt,and breath in the great state of TEXAS !!! i got into duck hunting about 3 years ago so I am still learning alot.What i did for the other 34 years I don't have a clue.I go about 3 days a week.Haven't had a bad hunt yet.
txquackhead
hunter

Postby lowejon » Sun Jan 23, 2005 9:37 pm

Hi my name is Mike,I live in the small wonder(DELEWHERE).Been hunting ducks for about 15 years.Have a 16 foot lowe with mud buddy power,got tired of push poling best money ever spent.Have a choclate lab,shoot a rem 11-87 LH,but looking to get a new Browning Gold for next year.Hunt a WMA until it freezes then head to the bay.All my decoys are G&H for ducks,Bigfoots for geese.Nice site you got going on here.. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :salude:
lowejon
hunter

Postby jdtractorjockey » Mon Jan 24, 2005 12:00 am

Just found this site last week, and have really enjoyed reading some of the letters. My name is Lee, and I farm and raise cattle in south central NE. I've been hunting since I was 13, mainly a pheasant hunter; occasionally pond jumped some ducks, and in a blind a few times. Never got into duck hunting all that much.....until about four years ago. A friend that lives down by a little river called and said that it was loaded with ducks. It was the last weekend of duck season, and everything was froze up in the area other than a few mile stretch in the river. I'd never seen so many ducks in my life, WOW was all I could say. The four of just laid along the bank with a dozen deeks, and had our 20 drakes in under an hour. We didn't shoot a bird farther than 30 yards that morning. I've been hunting since then that we couldn't get a bird to look at us, but when they do come in it sure is a pretty sight!!! I hadn't even owned a duck call till after that hunt. Enjoy going to our local DU banquets, and socializing with people. A friend and I bought a goose hunt for western NE this last December (Lisco area) from the banquet, and I got one goose the first day and that was pretty much it. The geese were really decoy shy, hugged the boundary like a force field; but still had a good time. I'd never seen sky busters so bad in my life, probably saw them injure 7 or 8 geese the second day; absolutely ridiculous!!! Anyway had a great time, met some great people. Talked with one fellow at the local watering hole, and he was blowing a short reed goose call from Central Flyway and it sounded really good, anybody heard about these calls? Cabela's sells them in a flute I know. That's all for now, great site!!!
jdtractorjockey
hunter

Postby KrzyKjun » Mon Jan 24, 2005 10:27 am

Brand new to the forum. Hope to make alot of friends here. I recognize some of you from another site. Duck hunting is my passion and its nice to be able to converse with other people who feel as I do about this great way of life.
Far better it is to dare mighty things,
To win glorious triumphs even tho checked by failure,
Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much,
Because they live in the grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.
KrzyKjun
hunter

Postby love2huntducks » Tue Jan 25, 2005 8:27 pm

I am 21 years old and have been hunting ducks since I was 9. I am in school right now majoring in Construction Management. I hunt about 50-55 days a year. I have a yellow lab named Susie. I go to bed every night thinking about ducks and wake up thinking about ducks!! Good Hunting
love2huntducks
hunter

Postby Trois_beaux_canards » Tue Jan 25, 2005 8:56 pm

My name is Ryan Laing, and I reside in Minnesota (the twin cities is my current home) I began hunting deer with a bow some time ago, then shortly thereafter began hunting grouse with my brother. I am a traditional archer, and aim to eventually build a self-bow and kill a deer with stone points. I have spent many summers in the BWCA and canoed elsewhere in the state. I feel most at home in the wild, and pass that love on to many of the kids and young adults I work with at camps where I am an archery, climbing and high ropes instructor. This fall will be my first year duckhunting. I have spent the better part of the last two years accumulating gear when my part-time, low-paying, non-profit job will support me with enough income. I am finishing my final year at the Uof MN, majoring in outdoor recreation. I have made some good friends through hunting, and consider myself utterly and completely hooked.

Oh, and by the way, thank you for all of your opinions and knowledge, it is truly helpful to fint a forum such as this.
Ryan
Trois_beaux_canards
hunter

Postby nreynolds84 » Wed Jan 26, 2005 6:25 pm

My name is Nick and I am from central Illinois near Bloomington/Normal. I am 21 years old and am going to Southern IL University at Carbondale. I started waterfowl hunting this year and I love it. I also am interested in calling too. My friends and I did not kill many this year, but they still managed to hook me on waterfowl hunting.
nreynolds84
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to The Honey Hole