NEW MEMBERS POST UP HERE!!!

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, steve-o, Preacher1011, lostpup, La. Hunter, #1wingnut

Re: NEW MEMBERS POST UP HERE!!!

Postby PrairieBelle » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:25 pm

Hi folks -- I posted an intro over in the women's forum before I saw this thread sooo I've copied it over here. Hope everyone is having a great season so far -- ours has been pretty interesting to say the least but it has still been a lot of fun. Due to the drought we only have water on the big lakes, rivers and marshes... which forced me to try some new things... it turns out I LOVE hunting the big river. Today it was 70 degrees and we only have about 2 weeks left of our duck season -- talk about rough! I'd give just about anything for a cold snap!

Anyway -- here's the intro!

Hello! I'm new to the site so I thought I'd introduce myself - I'm from Iowa, started hunting upland birds about 6 years ago and picked up the waterfowl obsession about three years ago. I didn't grow up in the waterfowl world - In fact I didn't even pick up a gun until I was 20 or so... but it didn't take long before I was hooked. I was lucky that many of my coworkers hunt and after a certain amount of pestering, they gave me some pointers. Our local duck forum has been a blessing as I'm pretty much self taught. It took a while, but I'm starting to figure things out! I don't know very many waterfowlers, and I certainly don't know any women who hunt around here so introduce yourselves if you're in the area! Thanks - looking forward to chatting with you folks.
PrairieBelle
hunter

Postby OGblackcloud » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:16 pm

:welcome: PrairieBelle
OGblackcloud
hunter

Postby VT-Grouse » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:40 am

Hey everyone, looks like a great forum, glad to join.

I mostly duck hunt in Connecticut. Most of my experience is grouse hunting in the Northeast Kingdom (Norton, VT & surrounding areas) but since moving to CT i've been lucky enough to join a buddy who has hunted waterfowl a few seasons, and managed to bag a few birds. I'll probably get into deer when I have more time.

Having a great time so far, and looking forward to many great seasons ahead.
VT-Grouse
hunter

Postby Duck Loving Man » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:59 pm

Hey my name is Barry. I am returning to Duck hunting after being away for several years. I have a new 7 month old black lab named Joshua that is making the journey with me! Excited to be back in the game. I live in the Texas Panhandle...
Duck Loving Man
hunter

Postby CootCutter » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:43 am

What's crackn....you can call me coot ...I live in Memphis hunt a lot of WMAs no dog lookn for a good spot to lease fer next year...got a crew of about five people(guys and a girl)that I hunt with...likes canoeing,camping,hunting,drinking,and eating ....dislikes @$$holes :yes:
CootCutter
hunter

Postby sbr01 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:19 am

I'm down around Orlando, FL, born and raised in Florida Panhandle. Spent most of my time on the water fishing....inshore, rivers, lakes, ponds, etc. Decided it was time to start a new hobby this year, and bought a new shotgun for duck, blinde for the boat, and studied options for shooting duck. With my brother, we had a little luck on opening weekend, so now, completely addicted. Knew I'd love it, but didn't know how much! Historically it's just been dove and occassional hunting trips. Love anything outdoors for the most part, and always have. Look forward to being a part of this forum :beer:
sbr01
hunter

Postby DE-DuckNBass » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:56 am

Hey all from Delawhere, I used to hunt when I was younger just decided to get back on the water and hunt the local waterways since I rarely fish in the winter. I have a 14ft jonboat with a mercury 9.9hp and a mariner 9.9hp back up shooting a 870 kickshighflyerFC.
Can't Hit Ducks Club - Pro Staff
DE-DuckNBass
hunter

Postby Bo Beaver » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:20 pm

My name is Garrett Wichert, I'm 25 year old factory worker from the thumb of Michigan. This season was my first duck/goose season. I hunt geese and puddlers out of Sebewaing, Mi or various Managed Waterfowl Hunting Areas around my area. I shoot either a Stoeger M2000 auto or a Stoeger Condor O/U, both of them run and pattern Winchester Blindsides very well. I didn't get a boat until the day after the end of the regular duck season this year and don't have a dog. My waders had many many miles put on them over the last couple months. I don't think I'll be giving up on waterfowling anytime soon.
"Fear and dread of you shall be upon the beasts of the earth, and the fowl of the air, all that moves upon the earth, and all the fishes of the sea; into your hand are they delivered. Every moving thing that lives shall be meat for you." Gen9:2
Bo Beaver
hunter

Postby b_hoov » Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:22 pm

Hello all, Getting into duck hunting after many years of wanting to after going a handfull of times with my father as a child. I live on the east side of Lake Lanier (Flowery Branch) and would love to find a few walk in spots within an hr or so away. I had a nice river hawk i sold a few years back and wont have a boat until tax time. I only know of one walk in spot, would love to get with someone and do some hunting as my family isn't very involved in it. I have a newborn son and a 2 and 4 yr old that both love the outdoors. Would like to eventually get my oldest one out there. I love the outdoors and im ready to get out and blast some feathered fowl!
Eagle Scout, Harley Davidson Master Tech, And Avid Outdoorsman
“Without wilderness, we will eventually lose the capacity to understand America.
” -Harvey Broome
b_hoov
Newb

Postby D Comeaux » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:20 pm

I had been hanging around for a little while so i decided to sign up in November and thought i'd type a little intro. My name is David i'm 50 years old and I've been duck hunting for about 35 years. All of my duck hunting through the years has been on leased properties south of Interstate 10 from just southwest of New Orleans to the Texas state line in rice fields and marsh.
I'm currently hunting a rice field near Gueydan La. A few years ago i was fortunate enough to get invited on a goose/duck trip near High Level Alberta and it was an AWESOME experience. I really woud like to get back up there one one day!! I'm very much addicted to duck hunting and really love/slightly addicted to this Forum!!!! :lol3:
D Comeaux
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:24 pm

PrairieBelle wrote:Hi folks -- I posted an intro over in the women's forum before I saw this thread sooo I've copied it over here. Hope everyone is having a great season so far -- ours has been pretty interesting to say the least but it has still been a lot of fun. Due to the drought we only have water on the big lakes, rivers and marshes... which forced me to try some new things... it turns out I LOVE hunting the big river. Today it was 70 degrees and we only have about 2 weeks left of our duck season -- talk about rough! I'd give just about anything for a cold snap!

Anyway -- here's the intro!

Hello! I'm new to the site so I thought I'd introduce myself - I'm from Iowa, started hunting upland birds about 6 years ago and picked up the waterfowl obsession about three years ago. I didn't grow up in the waterfowl world - In fact I didn't even pick up a gun until I was 20 or so... but it didn't take long before I was hooked. I was lucky that many of my coworkers hunt and after a certain amount of pestering, they gave me some pointers. Our local duck forum has been a blessing as I'm pretty much self taught. It took a while, but I'm starting to figure things out! I don't know very many waterfowlers, and I certainly don't know any women who hunt around here so introduce yourselves if you're in the area! Thanks - looking forward to chatting with you folks.

Hello PrairieBelle...How you doin?
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby cthemfly25 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:54 am

Forgot to introduce myself before making a few posts. Great forums with lots of information. Move hunting and started goose hunting a few years ago using guides. Plan on branching out. Hunt fur and feathers in WVa, Va, and Pa, and phezz sometimes in Iowa. Got a couple of dogs--a field cocker and a Boykin---which makes the feather hunting a load of fun.
cthemfly25
hunter

NEW MEMBERS POST UP HERE!!!

Postby Uncle-J » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:24 am

Hello All!!!

My name is Jason. 33 yrs old. I've been a duck hunting since I was knee high to a specklebelly. I enjoy long walks pushing a boat off a sandbar, and meeting new people when needing to be towed.
Uncle-J
DHC Sponsor

Postby Swanstalker » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:58 pm

Hello everyone.
I am a Born and raised Montanan that lives in Spokane. I am new to waterfowl but enjoy all hunting. Have everything I need to hunt except time :eek: I hope to give any info I have and make some bird friends.
Swanstalker
Newb

Postby pintailpounder » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:56 pm

I'm not new to duck hunting-had a scattergun in my hand for the last 60 years or so, but have moved from northern CA to north central Washington 5 years ago an am diligently searching for a spot and setup that'll enable me to bring the steel to the quackers. Besides, I'm probably the only guy you'll ever meet who can play Mancini's Moon River on his duck call--well gotta do [i]something[i] on those bluebird days in October down in CA's Butte Sink, where the skeeters are almost the size of teal :biggrin:
pintailpounder
hunter

Postby enigoy » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:57 pm

Hello,Newbie here,hope that I can make some friends learn something from this forum.
enigoy
Newb

Postby redbeard44 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:29 am

My name is Ames, Im 23, have been actually waterfowl hunting for 2 years now. I've been prior times and never really got into it much, but in the last 2 I've come to start enjoying it more. I live in St. Louis, MO and hunt conservation areas around here, haven't got die hard enough to start moving around, but perhaps next year I'm thinking about doing some land leasing and possible trip or so to Arkansas. I joined this site to hopefully meet and get to know some new people and also aquire some more knowledge and tips on the "sport" itself.
redbeard44
hunter

Postby MallardMagic2314 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:37 am

My name is Clint, I live in Northeast Arkansas. Been hunting ducks for a solid 8 years now since I was 12. Shoot a Benelli SBE2, Kicks Highflyer chokes. Have the most luck out of Federal Black Cloud ammo even though there filthy(gotta have something to after the hunt). Mainly hunt ricefields but I'll hunt wherever there are ducks. Good Luck to everyone this year!
MallardMagic2314
hunter

Postby huntfishnv » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:15 am

MallardMagic2314 wrote:My name is Clint, I live in Northeast Arkansas. Been hunting ducks for a solid 8 years now since I was 12. Shoot a Benelli SBE2, Kicks Highflyer chokes. Have the most luck out of Federal Black Cloud ammo even though there filthy(gotta have something to after the hunt). Mainly hunt ricefields but I'll hunt wherever there are ducks. Good Luck to everyone this year!

:welcome: :welcome: :welcome:
Nick Roehl wrote:Everything I say is so damn good you need to quote it for your signiture.

Un-expect the expected
huntfishnv
hunter

Postby kennycannon » Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:38 am

Hey Guys...Kenny Here from Long Island, NY.

I've been duck hunting since I'm 12 (in my 18th season now) and have been deer hunting for the past 5 seasons.

I mainly hunt private marshes on the south shore of Long Island.

My grandfather got me started and still goes out but only a few times a year now. I figured since duck hunting is BY FAR my favorite thing to do, this would be a good place to share stories, ask questions, answer questions and hopefully meet some fellow LI hunters!

I hope everyones season is going well! I look forward to chatting with you all.
kennycannon
hunter

Postby Ga ducker » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:17 pm

Hey y'all! I'm a hunter from a small town in Georgia! I hunt mostly deer, turkey, and squirrels but ducks have recently caught my interest. I have several years of experience of hunting other types of game but not much when it come to ducks so I hope to learn quickly! One interesting thing about me is on one of my first duck hunts I shot one time and killed two ducks. Don't ask me how cause I doubt I'll ever do it again! Can't wait to meet some of y'all! Good shooting! :sniper:
Ga ducker
hunter

Postby Tinner4 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:13 pm

Hello everyone! :hi: My name is Tina and I am originally from WI but grew up and still reside in Central Nebraska. I've loved the outdoors and hunting ever since I was 4 years old and would go out with my dad bow hunting in the morning before school, even if I just slept in the truck :wink: I've hunted deer, elk, small game, upland birds and waterfowl. I first got into waterfowl only about 5 years ago because some of my friends hunted ducks and geese. Needless to say after my first time going, I was hooked. I believe my favorite is hunting from ground blinds in fields.. just somethin' about having big honkers come in! My fiance has been chasin' waterfowl since he was 12 and he has got to be the best caller I've heard. I can't call at all lol but I guess practice will make perfect. We both shoot Beretta Xtreme A391 original shotguns. My oldest son is 12, he just got the new A400 and he hunts with us most of the time as well as my black lab Sam. We recently lost my fiance's white lab Buck sadly because road hunters shot him :no: We have a 9 month old baby boy as well and aside from hunting every chance we get we enjoy fishing, and horseback riding and have 3 horses that are also part of our family. This year's been pretty slow thanks to this summer's drought, not a whole lot of of our favorite marshes are full but we've still been whackin' and stackin' a few of em :biggrin:
Tinner4
hunter

Postby summit20 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:51 pm

Hi, my name is Jeff (42) and I live in Lee's Summit, MO. I am coming back to duck hunting after a 8 year hiatus living in Indiana. This has been a year mostly of restocking and repurchasing the equipment I gave up through the move to IN and reacquainting myself to the CA areas of NWMO. I enjoy both duck and goose hunting. I am a member of DU. It has been an interesting time going thru the various posts that have been contributed in the various forums through the years and I appreciate many of the discussions that have provoked further discovery in researching the area. I hunted SD last year and look forward to returning in the future. I have a late season duck hunt in KS scheduled. In moving forward into 2013, I hope to find a hunting partner(s) in the area that I can join forces with to better scout, and enjoy hunting waterfowl on the west side of the show me state. If anyone in the area would benefit from another person I am sure interested in a conversation. I would also be very interested if anyone could direct me to events or opportunities to connect with some fellow waterfowl hunters that I might meet up with for the 2013 season. Thus far I am aware of the upcoming DU event in Feb. Thanks for any help.
Summit20

No, I'm not a good shot, but I shoot often... T. Roosevelt
summit20
hunter

Postby Law2son8 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:40 am

I know there's a lot of new people logging on, feel free to post up and tell us a bit about yourself.
Law2son8
Newb

Postby Rob H » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:17 am

Hi all. I'm Rob. I spend all my weekends up near Kinmount, Ontario. I haven't done an awful lot of hunting. I did some in my early 20's. Then I got married (funny, it seemed like a good idea at the time). Then, my shotgun didn't see daylight for over 20 years. Then, the day came and I saw the light again. I found a funny correlation between spending more time in the swamp and less time around the warden. I prefer the swamp. Some things have changed since then. Gun regulations got a bit stricter. Then came steel shot, and along with it, some different shooting characteristics. I've always used shotguns with fixed full chokes. I got a some ducks last year, but I missed more. This year was a complete write-off. The barrel on my trusty 20 got knocked way out of alignment (Savage 24 Deluxe, O/U .30/30, 20 full choke). By the time I realized the barrel was off, the season was half over. Then, the tranny on the truck blew. They're fixed now, but the ducks are hanging out in some southern swamp laughing about me.
I did most of my hunting in either a rowboat or a canoe. The small lakes (or extremely large duck ponds) that I hunt haven't seen a motor boat in forty years and I plan to keep it that way. There's enough crap in the water from the sky. I have my dad's Cocker Spaniel when I'm there. I tried to use him to flush Ruffed Grouse, but all the stupid dog would do was flush the deer in front of me. :smile:
There's nothing like the rustic charm of waking up to a frozen toilet seat.
Rob H
Newb

PreviousNext

Return to The Honey Hole