NEW MEMBERS POST UP HERE!!!

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, lostpup, #1wingnut, steve-o, Preacher1011, La. Hunter

Re: NEW MEMBERS POST UP HERE!!!

Postby steve-o » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:53 pm

MSMud wrote:Hello everyone long time lurker here! Name is Mike, living in little rock now after relocating from Tupelo, Mississippi about 2 years ago. Mainly hunt the metro, but Enjoy traveling AR and MS and hunting new territory!

Welcome to the site. I am about 80 miles north of you in Batesville.
ByersFarm wrote:Remember that God will not test us beyond what we can handle.

Botiz630 wrote:I'm as tame as a show pony.
steve-o
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Toller_Atlas » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:14 pm

Hey, my name is Andy.
New to the forum, lots of good stuff here. Live and Hunt in New Mexico. My Buddy got me into duck hunting about 5 years ago, and now just cannot get enough of it now. 5 years ago i drove an Audi and shot a little sporting clays, now i am a full blown quack addict with a pickup, and a dog, and spend all my free time during duck season in a blind and my time during the off season thinking about duck hunting. I would like to get into hunt tests, but could use some guidance there. Advice is always welcome.
I sure am glad the dog keeps letting me borrow his truck.
Toller_Atlas
hunter

Postby OGblackcloud » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:37 am

Hey Andy, Is that your dog ? Heard about the Tollers would like to see one in action some time.
OGblackcloud
hunter

Postby Toller_Atlas » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:45 am

OG,
Thanks for asking, yes that's my dog. He's still a little green, about a year and a half, don't really have much video of him working, and no video of him tolling. I have seen him toll, he pulled a raft of geese from about 80 yards to within about 20 yards when he was a puppy, just running up and down a dock. It's really pretty cool to see it happen. I have some videos of his early training from last spring on you tube. http://www.youtube.com/user/highdesertducks
I sure am glad the dog keeps letting me borrow his truck.
Toller_Atlas
hunter

Postby ilarcher » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:02 pm

Newbie here to waterfowl hunting. I have always been a deer hunter but my boys want to duck and goose hunt. I have been out goose hunting twice since Christmas and can say I'm hooked. Now I have more hunting gear to buy!
ilarcher
Newb

Postby and1drew » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:14 pm

My name is Andrew and Im originally from Southwest VA. I recently moved last year to York County VA after I got married and landed a teaching job in the area. I grew up deer hunting, bass and trout fishing, and turkey hunting. My wife's brother introduced me to duck hunting two years ago around the Poquoson area in VA. Needless to say Im hooked. Now, I would rather duck hunt than do anything. I bought some gear (ghg decoys, stoeger P350 shotgun, kicks choke, camo clothes, etc.) and have been traveling back home on breaks to do some duck hunting on my own with some friends and family around the rivers and corn fields. Im currently looking for places around where I live now in York County to hunt without a boat (my brother in law sold his). I seen this site and thought it would be worth a shot to see if any places existed I could hunt and to learn about the sport more. Anyways, excited to see what the site has to offer!
and1drew
Newb

Postby LETEMWORK21 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:08 pm

Feels like we're at an AA meeting but its a DA! Hello my names Tyler and I'm a duckaholic. Anyways on a serious note my names Tyler I'm 17 years old and have been hunting since I was 8. It's my first year of really duckhunting hard had gone out a few times in the past but never got bit by the bug, always have been a deer hunter (bow). Live in Bettendorf Iowa and Milan Illinois (parents divorced) on the Iowa/Illinois Mississippi River border, hunt 90% of the time in Illinois either on my private rock river bottoms property or in a draw blind in the swamps of the Mississippi. Had a successful season IMO with killing 42 ducks mostly mallards (plus one fat migrator drake was wearing some jewlery :thumbsup: )and 15 geese. Found DHC on the net while looking up options on some different waders ended up being a lurker till last week lol. Site has great tips and great members as long as you don't come off as stupid or arrogant towards others!
Jack it up, fat chicks can't jump!
LETEMWORK21
hunter

Postby Coonrod » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:04 am

Hello, my name is Matt. I posted up in the FL board when I first came on - this is my first season duck hunting so I've been keeping busy learning the sport and not posting up too much. I've gotten hooked pretty bad... I can't imagine ever going another year w/o duck hunting again. Live in Apopka, FL (Orlando) and have always been into fishing, both saltwater & fresh. Like wingshooting so it was just a matter of time before I moved into waterfowl. This season I've learned a ton by just scouting, doing, and talking/meeting some more experienced folks. Depression is already setting in as our season end approaches on the 27th. Daydreaming about spring turkey will help dull the pain.. but it's not the same as all that goes into duck hunting! This site is really a great source of info, and damn sure glad I found it back in October before season got started.
Coonrod
hunter

Postby italian_stallion » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:56 am

New Guy Here,
Names Brian I'm from Oklahoma City. Just got in to the waterfowl. Hunted upland mostly. I have been hunting thunder Bird Wma The past couple of weekends. Looking foward to the colgs hunt feb1-march30.
VA TUTTO BENE! LO SONO ITALIANO
italian_stallion
hunter

Postby RDQS » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:21 am

Hey gang, Im an Oklahoma hunter that just joined and am really enjoying the site. A lot of great info and people on here. I do have a question though. How do you start threads to ask questions without jumping into the middle of a someone elses thread?

Red Dirt Quacker Smackers
RDQS
hunter

Postby sruss01 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:07 pm

Just joined the other day. Name is Stephen, and I'm 24. Had my first duck hunt beginning of the year and I'm hooked! Live in southern indiana, Evansville area. Trying to stock up on gear so I can really get into it next season. Appreciate any advice you're willing to shoot my way!
sruss01
hunter

Postby GA/quack_addic » Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:03 pm

Hey guys my name is Mark and a buddy of mine drug me out on opening day on lake Seminole and had never duck hunted before that point. Let me tell you, everyone I talked to was absolutely right... I'm hooked! Got to work on my shot this off season but still managed to bag a few ducks... Let me just say, I earned my keep on the duck boat by hitting cripples and picking up decoys..... I hate my father never introduced me to the sport when I was younger but now I'm 30 I have to give a BIG THANKS to my buddy to introducing me to the sport. I have already taken my 5 year old son on the boat with us once..
Next seasons plan.... boat,decoys, and more time on the water w/my son.... Its all about passing on the things you love with people you would love to do them with... Cant wait to hear "daddy can we go duck hunting?"....will probably be the only time i would be happy to hear that voice at 3 am...
GA/quack_addic
hunter

Postby jakemik » Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:28 pm

My name is jake mikolajczyk I am from Lafayette, Louisiana, I am 25 years old, I am currently joining this site mainly because I love duck hunting and I am about to get my first lab and I see this site has a lot of useful info and very friendly people who will help. I mostly duck hunt at our family property we own 520 acres in enterprise, Louisiana along the quichita river we hunt flooded timber mainly cypress trees this is only our second year with the property still learning the property but have made a few good hunts have only killed mallards wood ducks and grey ducks or gadwall. We also hunt a WMA that is only about two miles from our property called Beouf WMA has some very fine duck hunting on there as well.. Just wanted to introduce my self and I can't till next week to start my journey with my new puppy very anxious to start training it
jakemik
hunter

Postby proudag08 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:28 am

Hello,

My name is Ryan, I am 26 years old and I live in Texas. I have only been duck hunting for a couple of seasons but I am hooked. My wife and I have a German Shorthair that I hunt upland with named Frio. He is about a year and a half now. I am going to try to get him retriever trained this spring. He has a really strong natural retrieve. I look forward to seeing what this forum has to offer as I embark and this incredibly expensive but fun journey!! ha ha ha.
proudag08
hunter

Postby cjfitz » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:07 pm

Hello,

My name is Collin and I'm from a smaller town on the coast of Texas called Bay City. I have been hunting my whole life but really got into waterfowl hunting about five seasons ago. In these past seasons I have more of a drive to hunt ducks than anything else. I farm rice so I hunt a lot of rice fields but with the restrictions of water it is starting to cost a pretty penny to start up the wells and flood the fields. I try and hunt as many different places as my bank account allows me, plus I think it makes me a more well-rounded hunter with different experiences in different places. I'm very excited to be a member of this website and cannot wait to expand my knowledge on waterfowl hunting.

Collin
cjfitz
Newb

Postby On_A_Rope » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:27 pm

Been on the site for almost a year, but never really contributed a lot. I was fortunate enough to have a father who was willing to take me hunting from an early age. I cut my teeth on dove shoots and deer hunting. When I was about 12-13 my dad and two uncles took me duck hunting. I had the bug from then on. I don't get to hunt nearly as much as I wish I could, but then who does? I live in Birmingham AL and hunt everywhere from the gulf coast to the North Delta of MS. Nice to meet all of you.
On_A_Rope
hunter

Postby SilverSurfer » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:39 am

Hello,

I am new to the site. I was looking for information on building a sneak boat and found you fellows (and a ton of good information). Hunted ducks and geese on the Eastern Shore of Maryland as a kid then got out of it due to being in the military followed by being a contractor and moving around a lot. I am now settled in VA and my father-in-law and I were talking about getting back into it.

Cheers.... :beer:
peteyg2 wrote:
WoodyWhiffingMG wrote:
peteyg2 wrote:
WoodyWhiffingMG wrote:
TheRDJ wrote:If you want out Woody, just tap the canvas.

What is it with you and references to guys on their back?

So you view male sports as sexual?

Yes, I do.

Good for you. I wish you success.
SilverSurfer
hunter

Brand New Waterfowl Addict

Postby idahohuntingguy2 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:47 am

I work as a film maker and recently was taken on my first waterfowl experience. I have only hunted big game so far but by the end of this hunt, my fingers and feet were frozen but I was ready to trade my camera in for a new shotgun and a dog! Cant wait for next season! Thank you to all you guys who take newbies like me out for their first time!

idahohuntingguy2
Newb

Postby Fins&Feathers » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:46 pm

new member thanks for having me. hope everyone had a good season. i only went once this year with dad and son in october and shot some green heads.
really warm all season here in NC until the last day and all the boys that went killed it.

Looking for a good guide in Maine to hunt off the rocks next season and shoot some eiders?
Fins&Feathers
Newb

Postby duckmaster55 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:52 pm

My name is Bryce, I'm only 14 and have been hunting ducks since I got my license, although I have only killed aboat 15 or so ducks and close to 10 geese. I use a Zink Paralyzer X- r2 and a Buck Gardener Grey Ghost to bring them in, and a Remington 1100 12 GA to knock them down. :thumbsup:
duckmaster55
hunter

Postby Flight-Canceler » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:09 pm

My name is Ryan and Im a Duckaholic... Im in South East PA. Was a die hard bow hunter and upland guy. I got invited to Middle Creek WMU by a friend in November and haven't picked up my bow since.. I did some mid season scouting locally (Nockamixon area) and had a succsesfull season.I dont even remember where I left it ,might be under all my decoys?? Now the season is over and I have to start paying off my Cabelas Visa! Any how ,I've been lurking for a while and decided to join after reading all the positve post. I tend to avoid forums because of all the b.s. Looking forward to next year already! Im sure I'll chime in now and again Thanks!
Flight-Canceler
Newb

Postby hschofi » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:46 pm

Howdy, Im a newby but an oldie I was on here a while back but forgot what email, user and password.. anyway Im back.. From the western shore side of Maryland.. Love huntin an fishin the Bay...
hschofi
Newb

Postby Nick_75 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:34 am

Hi, I'm Nick from South Carolina. I've never hunted waterfowl before now and I can freely admit that Duck Dynasty has gotten me interested. I've been hunting deer, wild hogs, turkey, and small game for the better part of 20 years though.

I'm an Active Duty Army officer (17 years of service as of DEC 2011) stationed in SC. Past duty staations include Ft Knox, KY, Ft Polk, LA, Ft Lee, VA, Germany, Ft Carson, CO, Ft Hood, TX, and Shaw Air Force Base, SC. I have 3 deployments under my belt (1 to Iraq and 2 to Afghanistan, 34 months total) I'm married, have 3 kids, and a dopey golden retriever who is getting ready to begin basic retrieving duties, even though he doesn't know it yet.

I'm a member of the NRA and IDPA. I've been shooting regularly every month since I returned from my last deployment 14 months ago. I'm also an avid 3 gunner, however SC is pretty slim on that discipline right now, so I've been competing with the pistol more than anything for the last 4 months.

If you're in SC, NC, or GA, gimme a shout. I would love to get some experience with this new found sickness that I hope I will enjoy.
Nick_75
Newb

Postby jstewart_1981 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:15 pm

Hey guys,
My name is Jimmy Stewart I'm 31 and I joined the site today. Im married and have zero chillens. I live in NW Georgia and have been duck hunting for 7 seasons. Ive killed 2-300 birds, maybe more and yet to get a band. I typically hunt with the 3-4 guys but we have lots of guys we hunt with swap hunts etc. Duck hunting here pretty much stinks. We see 6-8 ducks and kill 3-4 were jumping for joy. We shoot mainly woodies, mallards, black ducks, black jacks, hooded mergansers and canadian geese. This year for some reason we had a good many redheads in our area. Not sure why, we never ever have any redheads here. I watched them on lakes all season here and never managed to get one. That is the main reason I joined the site was to find a place in Texas to hunt some divers. So, if you have any place, guide or person you would recommend I would appreciate that very much! We have been going to Weiner, Arkansas for the last few seasons and were ready to try something new. Oh, also looking for somewhere to go shoot some spring snow geese.

Happy Hunting peeps!
jstewart_1981
hunter

Postby beaufort » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:55 pm

Hello, Just joined the forum. Glad about that. Hope to get into some good discussions. From North Carolina. Addicted to quack.

Not sure this is right place to post this, but maybe yall can point me in the right direction/tell where to post. I'm planning a trip to ND October/November this year. Have not hunted ND and want a great guide. Don't care about good accomodations. Care about great bird hunting and a guide that's going to work hard for us. Any advise of who to talk with and/or best watefowl guides out there would be greatly appreciated.
beaufort
Newb

PreviousNext

Return to The Honey Hole