NEW MEMBERS POST UP HERE!!!

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, lostpup, #1wingnut, Preacher1011, steve-o, La. Hunter

Re: NEW MEMBERS POST UP HERE!!!

Postby QuackerSmacker498 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:41 pm

:beer: Hi all, first timer for DHC for postng, but I have read several of the forums in past. Great material/content overall. I have been killing ducks for more than 25 years. My family had a large club back in Californias central valley years ago. I was privileged as a youngster to skip school for a few days at a time and go out hunting with my pops, when the weather cooperated. Through college, I hunted the refuges in northern California but then moved back to the Bay Area. Now, I hunt from a 17 foot aluminum boat powerd by a 70 hp johnson in the Bay Area and delta regions of California. It has a full tig welded cage blind. Pictures to follow, aka the money Pitt. :fingerhead:

"If you can't blow a call, be quiet (decoys) and practice in the off season"
QuackerSmacker498
hunter

Postby rebelp74 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:23 am

:welcome: :hi:
Indaswamp wrote:
jaysweet3 wrote:Looks a little small.

Dat's what She said....

Underradar wrote:We, the unsigned members of the HH, are not allowed to address such questions. But thank you for asking.
rebelp74
hunter

Postby Doug Hodges » Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:08 am

Just got here. I am a big poster on another forum and actually own another one. I have a gun addiction. I can't stop buying them.

Hogs won on the road!!!
Doug Hodges
hunter

Postby muddymoriverrat15 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:27 pm

Hello all
I'm from mid MO. I'm 30 years old and hunted waterfow since i was 8. I mostly hunt ducks but occasionally do hunt some canadians. I joined the site for all the info that is shared on diy projects as well as the classifieds.
muddymoriverrat15
Newb

Postby mapleleafdmallards81 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:11 pm

Hello fellow water fowlers just joined about 10 mins ago. Names Nate Im from Syracuse NY. Hunted ducks and geese as a kid with my father he stopped going so did I. Just got back into it 2yrs ago because of my buddy he is in a wheel chair but we get out every weekend during the season. I have dragged him many miles lol and we have a blast! I was wondering if any of you folks have ever heard of someone shooting a pair of mallards that came in together both banded one band ending with 24 the other ended with 25 one male one female? A couple people told me I should get em mounted so I am. I shot them in western NY zone.
mapleleafdmallards81
Newb

Re: Brand New Waterfowl Addict

Postby sruss01 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:10 am

idahohuntingguy2 wrote:I work as a film maker and recently was taken on my first waterfowl experience. I have only hunted big game so far but by the end of this hunt, my fingers and feet were frozen but I was ready to trade my camera in for a new shotgun and a dog! Cant wait for next season! Thank you to all you guys who take newbies like me out for their first time!

AWESOME video, man!
sruss01
hunter

Postby Arsenault » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:55 am

Hello all. I hail from Maine. I have been a life-long duck and goose hunter, but am always looking to expand my meager knowledge base....... :huh:
Arsenault
Newb

Postby D Comeaux » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:18 pm

Arsenault wrote:Hello all. I hail from Maine. I have been a life-long duck and goose hunter, but am always looking to expand my meager knowledge base....... :huh:

We have quite a few people with same last name down here, just spelled a litlle diferent.... Arceneaux.... :thumbsup:
D Comeaux
hunter

Postby Arsenault » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:08 pm

D Comeaux wrote:
Arsenault wrote:Hello all. I hail from Maine. I have been a life-long duck and goose hunter, but am always looking to expand my meager knowledge base....... :huh:

We have quite a few people with same last name down here, just spelled a litlle diferent.... Arceneaux.... :thumbsup:

D Comeaux.... those down in your area are no doubt of the same lineage as me. Acadian, or Arcadian. When the Brits did the big sweep to try and rid eastern Canada of the french, my ancestors fled to New Brunswick, eventually some landed in the northeastern US. Those in your country are the ones the Brits put on the boats, and headed them south.

Recently, I purused through a pile of paperwork my uncle compiled on our family history...seems there was a pile of people with the name Arsenault (or Arceneaux, my Granddad made sure we knew that was the original pronunciation), all came from one man and his many children who immigrated to PEI Canada several hundred years ago.

Know doubt you already know these things......and thanks for the recognition! :smile:
Arsenault
Newb

Postby 12gaugemafia » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:20 pm

Ive been lurking around here for awhile...I enjoy all the wisdom of most on this forum.

Here is a video of a hunt over the weekend. The hunting aint over yet!!

http://youtu.be/mahCRICdDhw
12gaugemafia
hunter

Postby Sugartowns Finest » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:28 am

From the great town of Stuttgart, AR. I have hunted most of my life but strictly waterfowl. Love RNT and not just cause I'm a hometown boy. I have tried several others like echo, hobo, Watkins and haydels. Nothing can compete IMO although all are great call makers. Look forward to reading posts, getting feedback, giving feedback, etc. Right now I'm looking forward to the duck calls people sell. But I think about and plan for duck season all year. Waterfowling is full of opinions and looking forward to reading them all.
Cupped wings and stretched legs getting ready for the splashdown
Sugartowns Finest
hunter

Postby Bills n Gills » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:24 am

Hey, I'm Greg, I live in Michigan and diver hunt most of the time. Been duck hunting since I was a teenager.
I do make a trip to ND almost every year since 2002 and love it.
Looking forward to enjoying the site
Bills n Gills
Newb

Postby pluckinduck » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:28 pm

Hi everyone! my name is Nick, completely new to hunting. i have always wanted to hunt but never knew anyone that did so never really took the first steps to start, well untill about 5months ago. I dont know why or how but im already hooked on ducks, yeah ill hunt some tree rats ans turkey before deer.. but ducks, ducks ducks! mayeb its because i grew up surfing in ocean city nj, fishing crabbing and clamming. love the water. i have been doing so much research and learning the past months, even been on this site plenty of times before becoming a member. stopping in hunting stores lots of talking. take my hunting test this month on the 17th. I want to thank everyone here that adds helpful information, not only do the forum members read but so do guests like i used to do, excellent site! :beer: :beer: working my way to buying all the gear for next duck season and i can not wait at all im so pumped to get out there! O and still dont know anyone who hunts i just kicked myself to do it anyway, from upper township in cape may county. Nice meetin ya!(hopefully ill be pluckinduck on the first hunt :yes:
pluckinduck
hunter

Postby bigrobbierob » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:17 am

Hey folks. My name is Rob and I got bit by the waterfowl bug this past season. I'm here to further my knowledge of this game and to have a great time. Take care all.
bigrobbierob
hunter

Postby plk1977 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:46 am

Hi there :hi:,

I feel a bit out of place here as I have always viewed hunting as being primarily a guys sport. I hope those of you who are somewhat accepting of women wanting to take on this sport, especially with a significant other, can help me out and accept my wanting to learn and interact with others on here :thumbsup:

My name is Patti and my kids school just had a live auction and I won a pure bred lab puppy for a great price. I love labs but I've never hunted. My boyfriend and I decided that we'll take up the sport of hunting so the lab is able to do what he's bred to do. I have lots to learn. The breeder holds private hunting trips for clients and he will be training our pup starting at 5 months old.

I'm unemployed now :sad: and looking for whatever gear I'll need on the cheap if anybody has ideas on free or low cost gear? I'm interested in good websites to visit for beginner hunters, training a dog at home, equipment needed, how to gut pheasants and ducks etc.
I want to learn and I'd love to learn by watching someone and then having someone coach me. I in the Twin Cities area in MN and I'm looking forward to :sniper: my meat to reduce the cost of going to the grocery store :thumbsup:
plk1977
Newb

Postby ZinkCallin » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:54 pm

Hi everyone im Brett I live in Michigan and hunt a little state game area that is flooded timbers, and flooded corn fields with some crop standing. Last year I took a trip to north Dakota with some of my hunting buddies and we killed over 200 birds in 6 hunts, unguided! ive been duck hunting for bout 4 years (since I was 15) and fell in love. as far as gear is concerned I wear cabelas waders, blow nothing other than zink calls. I have a golden lab retriever, and shoot a benelli (looking to upgrade to another) as far as boat goes. 14 ft flat bottom with a 13hp mud buddy with a chainsaw wench so I can get wherever the ducks are! :thumbsup:

:beer: :beer:
ZinkCallin
Newb

Postby hawk45 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:11 am

Hi All
Been shooting trap for the past 4 years (my first shotgun sport) but been shooting bow, long rifles and pistols since a kid (now 39yrs). Though I enjoy shooting frequently I've never been a big hunter. Recently I've been talking with a few of my buddies who are avid hunters and they want me to start going bird/waterfowl hunting with them. Never hurts for the boys to get away from the old ladies for a few nights over some whiskey and beers. So my main reason for joining is to read up on what's what in the equipment end of things as I'll need a full gear setup from gun (looking for a 3.5" Semi) to clothes. I also want to get a better understanding of how to hunt the different seasonal birds and what techniques are best. I'll for sure be spending more time reading than posting until I get a little expertise under my belt. Great forum you have here, thanks for making it available to everyone to learn from.
Cheers,
John
hawk45
hunter

digging

Postby plex84 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:14 pm

pup is 3 months old. how can i stop him from digging hes a choc. lab. im not able to be at home when hes doing it what can i do
plex84
Newb

Re: digging

Postby jack lowe » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:13 pm

plex84 wrote:pup is 3 months old. how can i stop him from digging hes a choc. lab. im not able to be at home when hes doing it what can i do

move your kennel onto a concrete pad
Fresh prince of the bayou[/quote]jehler
mox wrote:If you say the water is too cold... then you sir, are a puss
"a lanyard and a few empy shells dont make you a duck hunter" - the duck commander
jack lowe
hunter

Postby stripe55 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:19 pm

Hey all. Looks like a good group of knowledgeable hunters, will be picking some brains and hopefully be adding some wisdom? hehe gained in my 30+ yrs of waterfowling. I try to be versatile , hunt beaver ponds, small streams, inland lakes and the bay of GreenBay Wi. I m blessed to have extended family in farming so I do some field hunting for ducks and geese, though I prefer, to hunt water. Boats include 10' jonboat, 18' canoe, 16' deep v, and hopefully a layout soon. My current pup is a 9month old Chessie that is on her way to greatness!hehe, does show great promise though and is responding well to the training to this point. My wish list of future hunts is western Minn, SD, and Saskatchewan. I have two sons that are very busy in fall but are finding some ways to get out there with me, hopefully that trend continues.

John
stripe55
Newb

Postby ducksquacksoshoot » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:38 pm

My name is Taylor, I have been hunting since I was about 11 (now 21). I grew up in Butte, Montana and just moved to Los Angeles to go school and have had a hard time being successful. I'm open to meet new people and find new hunting buddies, also if anyone has some pointers on where I could go to find some birds I would greatly appreciate any help. My go to gun is my baby, my 12 gauge remmington 887.
ducksquacksoshoot
Newb

Postby outlawduckhunter » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:07 pm

My name is Andrew and I have been duck hunting since I was 5. I am 16 years old and live in Asheville, North Carolina. I am planning on going into the Marine Corps after high school.
outlawduckhunter
hunter

Postby Eddy941 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:34 pm

I'm Colin out of Huntsville, Alabama. I've been hunting deer and hogs in South Carolina for a couple years now, and am pretty new to duck hunting.
Eddy941
Newb

Postby griff4570 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:14 am

Just signed up. Live in Central Oregon. Just getting back into waterfowl hunting. Greetings to all
griff4570
Newb

Postby hdsnzch » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:15 pm

My name is Zach, I am originally from Kansas but i left for the military about 3 years ago and have been in Wa ever since. I haven't really had much time to hunt while being in the military so i am excited to head back Oklahoma where I will permanently reside very soon. I have hunted quail, pheasant, dove, and deer most of my life but i am new to duck hunting. I got the chance to duck hunt with a good buddy of mine a few times last season and of coarse I wasn't able to get enough. The wife and I will be adding a new member to the family a few weeks after I return home (new pup!!!) I am pleased to be here and I have already learned a lot of good stuff just from the few times iv been on the website. :hi:
hdsnzch
Newb

PreviousNext

Return to The Honey Hole