NEW MEMBERS POST UP HERE!!!

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, steve-o, Preacher1011, La. Hunter, lostpup, #1wingnut

Re: NEW MEMBERS POST UP HERE!!!

Postby Jeps90 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:03 am

My name is Justin Spencer I am from Clinton, Maine. No place I rather be. Duck Hunting is a new thing to me, ive never done it before. But I have done plenty of white tail hunting, black bear hunting, and pheasant hunting since I was 10 now being 23. I currently live in New Mexico due to the fact that I am serving in the Us Army at White Sands Missile Range. But when my ETS date comes up ill be right back in Maine. I figured I would start out my duck hunting in NM and see how much I like it and then continue when I get back to Maine. I figure I will end up falling in love with it as much as any other hunting or fishing. I plan on using my Springfield Savage 12g pump to start out with. If anyone can lend me some pointers on gear and other duck hunting equipment or information, please do.

"If its brown, shoot it down!"
Jeps90
hunter

Postby jack lowe » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:49 am

welcome guys !!! :welcome:
Fresh prince of the bayou[/quote]jehler
mox wrote:If you say the water is too cold... then you sir, are a puss
"a lanyard and a few empy shells dont make you a duck hunter" - the duck commander
jack lowe
hunter

Postby dave79 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:50 pm

Long time lurker first time poster. Name is Dave. I live in northeast Indiana. It's been a few years since I have been duck hunting but hoping to make out this year.
dave79
hunter

Postby BigGunLabs » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:22 pm

Hello
Names Justin Brown, I have been following these forums for quite awhile and decided I just need to register and be able to chat back. I was raised in Arkansas and Waterfowl hunting was my dad and I's passion growing up. Spent 12 years over seas with the military and as a contractor and now live in Colorado for awhile longer. Plan on moving back to Arkansas. Since being back full time in 2011 have hunted a ton here in Colorado and have a ton of success but I hik up the rivers about 8 mile to be away from the crowds. Absolutely love duck hunting, cant stop thinking about it. I also raise Hunting labs as my Dad did for the last 30 years, have a great new boy Pounder who will do his first season this year and he is poop hot right now, hopefully its the same in the real show. Plan on trialing him after this first season. Always up for hunting with someone new here in Colorado I have the dogs and anything else we may need. As long as you actually know how to handle you shotty safely and stay in your sectors and not flag me or my dog with your muzzle , lol Im down to hunt with ya. Youd be suprised how some people have no concept of where the end of their loaded muzzle is.
BigGunLabs
hunter

Postby mallardsman » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:41 pm

Hey Im a southern Illinois duck hunter and its what I do.
mallardsman
hunter

Postby Belrose » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:33 pm

Hey Guys!

Been lurking around the site for a while so I decided to join in on the fun.

Live in Charlotte, NC and wish there were more ducks in this area!! Relatively new to waterfowl hunting. I went on a few hunts when I was a kid but was never a serious hunter. This year will be my 3rd season hunting since I really got back into it and I'm looking to step my game up.

I have a 1542 Sea Ark that makes for the perfect duck hunting boat - the biggest problem I have is lack of birds in this area. For the past few years I have been content with just getting out there and enjoying the outdoors- boating is absolutely my favorite activity, but now I'm looking for some more action. I plan on making several trips east this year to see what that is all about and I'd also like to get down to Arkansas area for a guided trip.
Belrose
Newb

Postby TXducksanddeer » Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:36 pm

Jeps90 wrote:My name is Justin Spencer I am from Clinton, Maine. No place I rather be. Duck Hunting is a new thing to me, ive never done it before. But I have done plenty of white tail hunting, black bear hunting, and pheasant hunting since I was 10 now being 23. I currently live in New Mexico due to the fact that I am serving in the Us Army at White Sands Missile Range. But when my ETS date comes up ill be right back in Maine. I figured I would start out my duck hunting in NM and see how much I like it and then continue when I get back to Maine. I figure I will end up falling in love with it as much as any other hunting or fishing. I plan on using my Springfield Savage 12g pump to start out with. If anyone can lend me some pointers on gear and other duck hunting equipment or information, please do.

I would love for you to say that in front of a bunch of black people
TXducksanddeer
hunter

Postby KYh20fowl » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:41 pm

My name is Paul, a city-boy noobie but glad to be here. When I say noobie, not only do I mean just a DHC noob, but I’m a waterfowl noob as well.

I guess my interest in the activity began this past spring. My next-door neighbor is a hardcore turkey hunter and he has been trying and trying to get me to go out with him on a turkey hunt. For every excuse I had to not go with him and give it a try, he had at least three reasons why I should. He finally broke me down and I decided to give it a go. One thing we have in common is that we both have 3 daughters, no boys. He had only one rule: If I agreed to go, I had to bring my oldest daughter (age 12) along for the hunt as he had done with his girls.

I read everything I could get my hands on about turkey hunting and learned that I would be spending some bucks very quickly, especially since I would be outfitting my daughter as well as myself. As one who firmly believes in the “Good, Better, and Best” philosophy of retail merchandise, I decided to select only well-made, entry-level equipment. I swore to not be lured in by celebrity endorsed, non-critical gimmicks and focus on just the basics without solely relying on Wal-Mart grade gear. Decent camo clothing that would keep us dry and concealed seemed like a no-brainer, comfortable boots that allowed us to cover a fair amount of ground without ankle blisters were in order and a reliable weapon that would get the job done seemed appropriate. A quick trip to the gun shop or sporting goods store had my head spinning. Surely, I needed one of EVERYTHING in order to stand a chance against these nasty looking birds. Luckily, my neighbor calmed me down and said he had made that mistake; I could help myself to any of the toys he had collected over the years…toys that he said will almost always get your wife pissed off at you!

The learning process continued. My daughter and I quickly learned what a WMA was and how important they are to us “Average Joe’s” who can’t afford guided hunts with an outfitter. My misconceptions of how “hunters=killers” was quickly corrected as I learned about the tender balance between conservation and hunting. As we would run into other hunters on the WMA and casually ask “how’d ya do today” only to hear “I floored 3 longbeards and 2 jakes before lunch”, I was introduced to the poacher: an ugly reality of the true redneck stereotype that not only jeopardizes future hunting seasons, but gives all hunters a bad reputation that is difficult to overcome.

We learned so much that turkey season. My daughter, a true “girly-girl” cheerleader who can’t seem to put her cellphone down or stay off of Facebook for more than 5 minutes began to ask me daily: “Daddy, when are going out on a sit again? I think we should set up on the ridgeline above that far section of pines. I’m positive they are roosting up there. Can we go scout it at sunset just to see if they fly up?” My kid who typically sleeps until noon on weekends is now beating me to the driveway at 4am to get her gear loaded up. WHO HAS KIDNAPPED MY DAUGHTER BECAUSE THIS IS NOT MY KID?!

And then there are things you learn that are indescribable. No man or woman should ever leave this earth before experiencing nature come to life before dawn. One hears and sees things that only occur at this special time of day. As you sit motionless at the base of an old Kentucky oak tree in pitch black darkness, something magical begins to happen in the wilderness…as I said it is indescribable, you simply must witness it first hand to appreciate it. To simply say you “watch the sunrise” would be an insult to the experience. It is far more than that...it is religious.

Well, needless to say, my daughter and I went out many times this spring. Would you believe that she even talked me in to taking her out on a school day because the season was closing? She gave me the goo-goo eyes and said we were running out of time and well, let’s just say she got the “sick day” she had been begging for…and I got to sleep on the sofa that night when her mother found out later. Oh well, neither one of us ever got that first bird this season (even though they were gobbling all around us on most days when we hit the WMA), but it’s safe to say we gained an invaluable trophy for both of us. Our bond has become so close just as she is becoming a teenager, a time when many girls decide to hate everyone and everything (especially their parents). She makes me take her to the trap range as often as possible. And we are now official huntin’ buddies. I’m forever indebted to my neighbor for taking us along with him and his daughters; it has changed the dynamic of our family forever.

So…why I am on DHC if I have been chasing those bigger birds all spring? Well, after turkey season closed, my daughter and I began flipping through some of the hunting shows on TV. And yes, she said I HAD to come watch this new funny show about these duck hunters from Louisiana. OK, I watched a few episodes and had a few giggles with her. Then she had me watch some actual duck hunts on YouTube. My new huntin’ buddy said, “Look, you can actually talk during the hunt and move around and some of them even cook a hot breakfast while hunting!” She was hooked before I could say a word, regardless of the reality TV nonsense. Next thing I know she’s telling me to make sure we buy duck stamps and register for the state’s blind drawing for pits in the sloughs one county over. I’m waiting for her to ask for a mud motor for her 16th birthday instead of a car.

What more can I say? Hunting changed my life and strengthened my family bond beyond anything I could ever imagine. Glad to be a member of the DHC community. Now, please show me where the ducks are!

Paul the Noob
Owensboro, KY
God is great. He blessed me with 3 healthy children.
He also has a sense of humor. He made sure they were all girls...VERY pretty girls.
KYh20fowl
Newb

Postby Mark F. Cheney » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:45 pm

Paul, Thank you for the tender family story! And good luck in the coming season. I wish you joy in the experience again.

Mark F. Cheney
utahmarshmotors.com on the Great Salt Lake marsh

801 721 3293
Mark F. Cheney
DHC Sponsor

Postby OGblackcloud » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:17 pm

Great post and :welcome: Paul :thumbsup: :beer:
OGblackcloud
hunter

Postby Jimmy82 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:22 am

Hi, Jimmy here. Been hunting upland birds for years as well as deer, this season will be my first crack at duck. Currently in northern NY with the Army. My dad won a "duck gun" and a call at a DU banquet and gave them to me, figured I'd try it out.
Jimmy82
hunter

Postby Aimstr8ht » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:47 pm

Hi, I'm new and have lots of questions. First, I live in Va and want to know how I can lease a duck blind for the upcoming season. Second what about guided goose or duck hunts
Aimstr8ht
Newb

Postby B.E.Nelli » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:39 am

Hey there fellas, been viewing this site as a visitor for a long time and finally decided I should join up. There is a wealth of info on here. I'm Eric, and I hail from the KC Missouri area but just got stationed here in Omaha Nebraska with the Air Force. So I still do a lot of hunting in both states. Deploying in the fall, so I will miss a good chunk of bow and waterfowl season, but that's how it goes. Currently have a 5 month chocolate pointing lab I am training named Beautiful Extraordinary Nelli, or B.E.Nelli. She will be going off to training in Sept while on deployed, so she should be looking pretty good for the end of the season when I get back.

Just wanted to say hey, and let ya'll know a little about me. Any fellas in the Omaha or KC area??
B.E.Nelli
hunter

Postby WalpoleTed » Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:04 pm

Suburban Detroit here. About 80% of my hunting is upland, with waterfowl as the remainder. When I first went duck hunting in college, I sat in a blind BS'ing with my buddies while the whole day we saw two ducks that were about 300 yards away. I remember thinking "this isn't much fun, you just sit there, not moving and nothing happens! It would be easier to just talk to my friends at the bar." Fast forward 15 years, and I started hunting Ontario with some friends, and got hooked - now I get it. I never thought I'd be looking at pointing dogs and thinking "yeah but will he retrieve off of water too?".
WalpoleTed
hunter

Postby JC le Pilet » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:38 am

Hello,
My name is Julien, I' m 17 and I' m french.
I hunt duck and waders since 2012.
I registered on this forum to talk and know your technical of hunt.
JC le Pilet
Newb

Postby Huntin GI » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:42 am

Hey yall pretty new hear. Names Josh. Born and raised in TN but doing the military thing these days. Im 24. Been hunting since I was old enough to walk. Always been all about the big game. Never gave much thought to birds until last year. Got bored one day and went out walking the creeks jumping quail and thought this aint half bad but to hell with all this walking. I wonder if I can get birds to come to me. SHAZZAAAMMM!!! Them ducks do that dont they, I asked my self?!?! Well after one season of scrounging together 2 dozen mallard dekes and a decent shotgun and wasting ALOT of ammo, I feel rather experienced LOL. By experienced i mean I dont think I know crap yet. Gave'er hell last year though. Prolly slammed 30 ducks (MOSTLY GREENIES :yes: ) and a few honkers. Hoping this year I will walk away feeling accomplished. Game On
Huntin GI
Newb

Postby Illini40 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:12 am

Hi all. My name is Ross, and I'm up in northern Illinois, right in the middle between the Iowa boarder and Chicago.

I've gotten in waterfowling the last couple of years and have really gotten addicted. I have the great opportunity to hunt with my father in law and dad. I'm looming forward to this forum! Looking forward to also meeting some local folks.
Illini40
hunter

Postby :-) » Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:26 pm

Hello from the Texas Coast. I've hunted all of my life, and don't plan on slowing down anytime soon.

Figured with season opening up soon I'd try to keep track of where all the birds are...hunting around here can be really hard. Lol On a seriously note I enjoy the forum, and I look forward to learning more about our great sport! :-)
:-)
hunter

Postby NVDuckSlapper » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:05 pm

hey everyone! my names Walker and ive been coming on DHC for a few years now and finally made an account this year. I hunt ducks in Nevada and am a proud owner of a yellow lab. (avatar picture). Love coming on this website and seeing what everyone has to say!
"Federal Tax Refund. Three beautiful words that could easily be turned into three other beautiful words: floating goose decoys."
NVDuckSlapper
hunter

Postby Drifter870 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:35 pm

Hey everyone, my name is Brian I am from Central New York, and I am going on my third season of waterfowl hunting. I got out of the Marine Corps in 2011 and my best friend introduced me to waterfowl hunting and I have been hooked ever since. I recently bought a new shotgun (Beretta A400 Xtreme) and shooting it lights out on the sporting clays course. I also am a Pro Staff for two call companies J & R Game Calls out of Ogdensburg, NY and Shaw Custom Calls out of Cayuga, NY. Like I said before this waterfowl hunting sure hooked me.
Drifter870
Newb

Postby robcochran90 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:03 pm

Hello, this is Rob Cochran, currently living in florida. I am not new to hunting, but i am as green as it gets when it comes to waterfoul, if anyone would like to point a new to north east floridian in the right direction shoot me a message! thank you for your all future imputs.
robcochran90
Newb

Postby Millerduck » Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:11 pm

Name is Miller Been hunting ducks since I can remember Have a 16 foot jon boat with the 27 Surface drive beavertail Looking to build a decent blind for cheap
Millerduck
Newb

Postby creole » Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:10 pm

new member here from southwest Louisiana.
creole
hunter

Postby FCI90 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:33 pm

Hi names Garrett im just got into waterfowl last year still learning alot glad i found this place by the way im from north texas

Sent from my NEC-NE-201A1A using Tapatalk 2
FCI90
hunter

Postby RUN REMI RUN » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:10 am

Hello, my name is troy,
my wife and I got a black lad, named remi, last sept, that was returned to the breeder, due to the family was splitting up and could no longer have the dog, so got remi at the age of 1, and did some test w the breeder and she was good to go, so sent her down to London to get trained for 3 month, till our house was built here in Ontario in november, just north of Toronto, and he and I worked her hard and well, and she is amazing!!! she would out run and swim , his 3 lab's everytime!!! and I have even been offered many offer to buy her back, due to her extremely high drive and focus, but we love her too much and she was more character, than even most people I know LOL!!! she will b 2 this sept. and we can't wait to get out!, she weight 47lbs, but was under 45 when we got her from the trainers, so we feed her now, origin and 3 cups a day with sweet potatoe treats and origin treats, and she is doing amazing, and taking well to her training and up keeping everything she was taught and more!
she can run like lightning and swim, like a dolphin and jump over 10ft straight up, at an standstill LOL
her grand father was a 38 time grand retriever champion and a few more on top of that and her grand-ma was a 29 grand retriever champ with other tittles too, and had 102 pup's, and remi's mom was an working dog, and has a few titles under her, and was just over 50lbs and her father works for st.laurance outfitters and is only about 60lbs.
NOW ABOUT MYSELF!
well I have hunted ducks and geese, pretty well everywhere here in Ontario, in any condition, and everyplace, so I will take her out walking first, for partridge and rabbit and shore hunting, till she get's well introduced to hunting!!!, she loves the boat and fishing, and comes out with me everytime!
hunting here in Ontario, is very challenging, due to all the people who hunt the first month of the opener, but as soon as it get's cold, they go into hibernation, and we should have it all to ourselves.
have a great and safe hunt this up coming season, and practice conservation please!!!!
RUN REMI RUN
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to The Honey Hole