NEW MEMBERS POST UP HERE!!!

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, lostpup, #1wingnut, steve-o, Preacher1011, La. Hunter

Re: NEW MEMBERS POST UP HERE!!!

Postby mallards&morels » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:05 pm

Just realized I was supposed to do this. I've lurked a few times on this board over the years and finally decided to register. I am 39 years old and have been duck hunting since I was in the 9th grade. Born and raised in Tulsa, OK. On my first duck hunt I shot 2 Goldeneye's on Lake Hudson in OK. The next year we didn't get a single duck, but I still enjoyed the experience. In my 3rd year we had an anomalously cold fall and it was ducks galore and I was hooked for life! Fast forward, and I have been blessed with a private land set up for over a decade near Lake Eufaula.

The first time I came to this site was a few years ago when we decided to change our decoys to a Texas rig style. I could go on and on about how much time, effort and suffering the Texas rig has saved my group. To get back to my point, this board is so helpful and entertaining. I'm glad I've found something to pull me off of the depressing OU football boards! I hope to be able to give back to members of DHC like they have given to me! :beer:
mallards&morels
hunter

Postby Garrett Garner » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:42 pm

My names Garrett Garner. College student in Kansas. Live in hot springs Arkansas. Always hunted east Arkansas but lookin forward to this new area. if anybody wants to chat let me know
Garrett Garner
Newb

Postby Tera Lanczak » Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:30 pm

Hello Duck Hunters and Dog Enthusiasts,

My name is Tera Lanczak, I am the owner of Bay Blue Kennels. My kennel is a year round training facility summering in MI/OH and wintering in Giddings, TX. I specialize in training young retrievers for hunting, hunt tests, and field trials. I began training dogs 12 years ago having produced retrievers competitive at a young age in the National Retriever Championship (NRC), National Amateur Retriever Championship (NARC), The Master National (MNH) and The Grand Hunting Retriever Championships(GHRCH). I have had several articles published on the subject of developing and training young competitive retrievers and am included in the team of The Retriever Field Trial News to write the National Retriever Championships BLOG twice a year. http://2013narcblog.theretrievernews.com/Feel free to check out my retriever stats at http://www.baybluekennels.com/about/accolades/ as they speak for them-self.

As I browsed the duck hunting forum I noticed there were many questions about how to fix certain dog issues and questions on where to gain information to begin the training of your canine companion. I know I could be of service to you all offering my expertise to help anyone who needs it for any problem you maybe experiencing. Please feel free to contact me or check out my website where you will find my contact information http://www.baybluekennels.com I enjoy sharing my knowledge even if it only helps one dog not be mistreated and trained to their fullest potential. I am open about our training programs and list specific program outlines on my website for your convenience. I also offer many training videos via my you tube channel which you can access from my website http://www.baybluekennels.com/video/training/. Everyday I publish a dog training article, known as, "Tera's Training Tip Of The Day" on a BLOG. The BLOG offers tips, hunting stories, pertinent canine health news, and hazards updated daily. The blog also posts to facebook and my other website
http://www.forcefetch.com/blog/

Here is a sampleImage
http://www.forcefetch.com/blog/2013/10/teras-training-tip-of-the-day-44/

Looking forward to chatting with you.
Happy Hunting and Training!
Tera Lanczak
Trainer/Owner
Bay Blue Kennels
http://www.baybluekennels.com/
http://www.forcefetch.com/blog/
660-441-1605
"Building Champions"
Tera Lanczak
DHC Sponsor

Postby taylor714914 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:36 am

Hey all, just wanted to say Hello from South Central Pennsylvania. Been wanting to get into duck hunting for about 10 years now and have finally decided to take the plunge. I never had anyone interested in teaching me or joining me zbut finally met someone who is interested in learning as well.
I made it a life goal about 8 years ago to shoot a banded bird. No idea what got me on this idea, but I think it's neat and hope to eventually accomplish this goal.

Guess it's off to finding a few duck calls. Already have the waders from fishing and shotgun from small game hunting!
taylor714914
hunter

Postby OntarioQuackKiller » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:49 pm

Hello, my name is Sean and I'm a Canadian don't ya know eh. I'm 18 and have been going out on duck hunts since I was 7 and before that I was out helping set bear baits with my uncle. I hunt in Southwestern and Central Ontario for waterfowl, deer, bear, grouse and turkey, but waterfowl is my real passion.
Southwest and Central Ontario
OFAH Member
OntarioQuackKiller
Newb

Postby TEXMEX » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:07 am

TexMex, been waterfowling for 23 years , first hunt was promised I would kick pheasant hunting to the curb, it poured down rain the guide handed me a black trash bag to put on. Froze my but off and he called ducks outs the sky to cup up right in front of me, he was right I was hooked. I now live on a reservoir in nctexas and have the ability to hunt every morning before work. Or at least scout if I wish. I take my son every chance I get. I am blessed
TEXMEX
Newb

Postby jhead84 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:21 pm

My name is Jeremy, I started duck hunting when I was 18 years old, I'm 29 now. Hunted mostly puddle ducks back in North Carolina where I grew up but mainly only saw Canadian geese. Joined the Air Force about 5 years ago. Moved to Montana, hunted up there for 2 years then got stationed in Hawaii. Looking forward to getting back to the main land so I can get back in the blind. Was actually just looking for some places to go on the NC coast when I found this site. I shoot a trusty ole 870 express supermag I got right after I started hunting.
jhead84
Newb

Postby rnloutdoors » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:37 am

I joined a little while ago and just got around to this my name is Ryan i live up in central Wisconsin, i just got into duck hunting last year and im on my own this year. My dad used to hunt all the time but now that he works in Alaska I only see him for 2 weeks every 8. So I get much advice as i can from him but i came to this website for more. I have a ton of diver dekes from my dad and bough a bunch of puddlers. when i'm not duck hunting i spend my time hunting and bow hunting for almost everything also trapping and fishing. I'm also a senior in high school that schedule always seems in interfere with my hunting. But somehow i find the time
rnloutdoors
hunter

Postby AlabamaWoodDuckSlayer » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:36 am

I live in Alabama but my family and I make regular trips to North Carolina every year to duck hunt. Also going to TN this Thanksgiving, any help would be appreciated not trying to be an internet scouter just asking...
AlabamaWoodDuckSlayer
Newb

Postby zman115 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:23 pm

Hey there name is Zack. I live in Eastern North Carolina. Just joined in on the fun today. I have been hunting for about 10 years but only 3 of those have been hunting our feathered friends. I put equal amounts of effort into deer hunting and duck hunting. I have been reading and following along for a while but finally decided to make an account today. I hope to gain more knowledge on the sport and maybe get a few questions answered (no I am not going to ask about your secret holes) lol. You will probably find me most on the NC forum. Looking forward to being a part of such a wealth of knowledge and experience.
zman115
hunter

Postby TTKA_Pintail » Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:44 am

Hows it going guys? My names Rob i'm from western Ky. Originally from Florida but moved around a lot due to my father being in the Navy. College student here, I attend Murray State University pursuing a degree in Ag-Business, and a member of the Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity. I try to make just about every season I can here in Ky, and also Missouri and Illinois, but most of it is just pregaming for ducks. Killed my first feathered fowl when I was 6 and I haven't looked back since. I look forward to learning from y'alls experience and enjoying the community.

Happy hunting,
Rob
:beer:
TTKA_Pintail
hunter

Postby Untamedhorizons » Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:33 pm

Hello all, My name Is Jason. I'm 28 yrs young. I've only been waterfowl hunting for about four years now. I feel In love with it right away and hope to get my two young sons involved when they are old enough to do so. I live and hunt all over Maryland. I hope to start hunting the Finger Lakes In NY a little this season. Here In MD we mostly hunt ducks on farm ponds and the potomac river. I hope to go sea duck hunting on the bay this year as well. We hunt geese everywhere we can, Fields and water. I own mostly GHG decoys but do have a few others. I shoot a SBE11 and for ducks I use Hevi Metal 3's. For Geese I use Black Cloud BB. I hunt with three other guys witch know a lot more about waterfowl than I do. I'm learning a lot from those guys each time we go. I own a fourteen foot flat bottom boat with a five HP mercury motor and an avery boat blind. All pulled by my 2011 Dodge Ram 1500. I am a member of DU and contuine to contribute as much as I can. I do not have a dog but my buddy has an awesome dog trained by Chris Akin. I hope to make new friends and learn as much as I can from this forum. Thanks All
Untamedhorizons
Newb

Postby Akbraun » Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:05 am

Hello my name is andy and i live in western mass. I just started hunting waterfowl about 2 weeks ago. I used to pheasant hunt about 10 years ago but when I went into the marine corps I pretty much stopped hunting. Now that I'm out and moved back to mass. I wanted to hunt but just didn't enjoy upland as much. So ducks it is. Like I said just getting started and trying to learn as much as possible.
Akbraun
Newb

Postby dmm03664 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:36 pm

Hello,
My name is David. I used to do a lot of Duck Hunting as a teenager in the Sacrammento River Delta but moved to North Carolina many years ago and havent hunted Ducks here.
I recently went hunting with my Son who lives in Corpus Cristi and got the fever again. I live near Charlotte and was wondering if anyone could point me towards a guide or tell me if I can hunt on Lake Norman?
Im not asking for anyones Honey Hole, Just some help getting started again.

Thanks for your help.
dmm03664
Newb

Postby Hello Duck » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:29 am

I'm Rob, I live in east Texas. I've hunted waterfowl since about 15 in south Florida. I hunt the coastal bayou these days in 14' Jon boat. I shoot an old wing master that my granddad gave me. I really could use an upgrade, but I just can't bring myself to leave the dock without him in the boat with me. Most of my decoys are ringnecks, but I have almost every type of bird over them.
Hello Duck
Newb

Postby Backwoods Water » Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:14 pm

Hi! I just saw this as many of the other new guys did at one point or time.
My name is Adam and I'm from and live in Western KY around the Paducah area. I've been a deer hunter since I was able to walk and a turkey hunter since I was 13 or so. Love them both and never thought once about waterfowl.
I went last year for the first time and was instantly hooked. I knew that I would be so that was also another reason I never went.
So, I'm a newbie and learning everything I can. The first thing I did learn was that deer hunting is cut throat, but duck hunting is murder. LOL.

Good luck guys and I hope to pick up some useful tips and tricks to help along the way.
Backwoods Water
hunter

Postby steelshotslayer » Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:47 pm

Afternoon ladies and gentlemen my names Nick I figured I would say hello since I just joined the site. Had to find somewhere else to read and contribute since GON closed their waterfowl forum. Anyways I am a Georgia native (sucks since we don't have a lot of ducks) been into the sport for about 11 years now and I am the proud father of twin 8 month old boys.
Every day thousands of innocent plants are killed. Help stem the violence. Eat ducks
steelshotslayer
hunter

Postby Dagg » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:05 pm

HI.. I'm Dagg and Im from the east central part of louisiana.. I've been hunting ducks since for the last 35 or so years and I soo soo love the sport..I hunt the sloughs and rivers of the state WMAs and nothing get my blood pumping more than a flock of mallards cupping their wings..
Dagg
Newb

Postby TrapperRob » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:04 pm

steelshotslayer wrote:Afternoon ladies and gentlemen my names Nick I figured I would say hello since I just joined the site. Had to find somewhere else to read and contribute since GON closed their waterfowl forum. Anyways I am a Georgia native (sucks since we don't have a lot of ducks) been into the sport for about 11 years now and I am the proud father of twin 8 month old boys.

Welcome Nick,
Thanks for the intro, we look forward to your contributions to the community. Also, congrats on the twins, they are wonderful.
I went into the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.
-Henry David Thoreau
TrapperRob
hunter

Postby Mad Dog 21 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:14 am

Good evening,
I'm Eric from Oklahoma, I am new to the sport and life style. I'm currently in a state where you can't hunt ducks but can go after upland. I will be reading and learning as much as possible. Someday I will get my girls into the lifestyle. Thank you for your time.

S/F,

Eric
Mad Dog 21
hunter

Postby Dad&Son » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:57 pm

Hello everyone!
I am two years new to duck hunting with my teenage son. Although my dad took me out when I was young a couple of times, it was more hiking with a gun than hunting. I hunt in Skagit and Snohomish counties in Western Washington.
I love to hunt both geese and duck. My brother in law has spent some time showing us some places. Overall our luck has been low but had a blast learning along the way. I do not care for those who look down on newbies for making mistakes. All of us started at some point and likely made the same mistakes. (I have been yelled at from across a field for shooting at geese too high.)
We both have 12 gauge Mossbergs and favor Heavi-Shot or Heavi-Metal shells. We do not have a retriever or a boat, but some good waders.
I like getting to our spot first and really early in the morning to get settled in and watch the first light of the day.
My favorite memory was last year when I saw hundreds, if not thousands of Snow Geese lift up off of the bay at sunrise like a huge wave. The sight and sound was amazing and I was hooked.
I look forward to reading posts and learning from you guys.
Dad&Son
Newb

Postby I make oil » Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:12 am

New member from South Louisiana. I mainly hunt the Atchafalaya Delta and the Wax.
I make oil
Newb

Postby Slack Tide » Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:21 am

Tera Lanczak wrote: if it only helps one dog not be mistreated

This dog looks like it is hogtied and ready for the grill??? :huh:

What's that leg tether for??
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby Duane, RN » Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:50 am

Hey there,
New to these forums. A friend told me about them So I've had a look see and then joined.
Been bird hunting for 44 years. Growing up in So California used to do a lot of Dove, Quail, and Chukar. After college in the mid 70's I stayed up in Minnesota. started with Grouse and some deer hunting but about 15 years ago I fell in love with ducks and geese. Most recent is 3 years ago found a new hunting partner and a great area in western Minnesota to get my fill of ducks.
Looking forward to learning more from all your shared experiences.
Last edited by Duane, RN on Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Duane, RN
hunter

Postby jww05001 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:48 pm

I'm John, I grew up in Arkansas and have been hunting ducks for 8 years now. I started hunting ducks in college and did most of my hunting in Central AR on public land. I recently moved to Northwest Florida and unfortunately there's a lot fewer ducks here, haha. I'm working on finding good places to go so if anyone is in the area and has any advice it'd be much appreciated! Thanks guys, glad to be a part of the forum.
jww05001
Newb

PreviousNext

Return to The Honey Hole