NEW MEMBERS POST UP HERE!!!

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, Preacher1011, lostpup, La. Hunter, steve-o, #1wingnut

Re: NEW MEMBERS POST UP HERE!!!

Postby Txseaaggie » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:45 am

New guy here from south Texas. Been reading for a while but now went ahead and joined. Always on the water and still newish to the duck hunting scene.

-Cory
Txseaaggie
hunter

Postby duckvang88 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:09 am

My name is Ben I am from the Chicago land area and do my hunting in Illinois, Indiana, Wisconsin, and since I now go to college in Michigan I would love to start hunting there as well. I usually do upland hunting but me and my buddy are now getting into waterfowl and love it. Can't wait to learn everything I can and maybe find some more hunting buddies.
duckvang88
hunter

Postby whackandstack » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:20 pm

Hi i am new. I hunt out of GA. Have a dog and a boat.
whackandstack
hunter

Postby swilsonj » Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:06 pm

Hello all

My name is Seabron Wilson and I live in the Houston, Texas area. This is my first year to Duck Hunt but not new to hunting. I have hunted deer and hogs for years. I have wanted to duck hunt from the time I was 8 years old but just did not get the chance until now. I am in my 50's and went on my first hunt two weeks ago and killed a wood duck and a green winged teal. If anyone is looking for a hunting partner in the Houston area send me a message and we can talk.
swilsonj
Newb

Postby Duckman55855 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:35 pm

Hi everyone. New Mexico & Colorado duck hunting nut here... Looking forward to finding some new quack heads as I...
Duckman55855
hunter

Postby jimj » Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:13 am

Jim McGrath from Sabine Pass Texas, duck hunting for 44 years as my Dad was changing diapers in the blind. Killed my first flying duck at 6 and was hooked good. Hunt mostly leased land in the last few years but I can say it hasn't been any better than public. Been trying to get my kids duck hunting for years but finally got my son to go last week and now he can't wait to go back. Lots of hogs down here so I am blessed to have something to chase in the marsh when season closes. I run a Southfork 1644 with a 23hp Gatortail, 1187 or 870 are my choice of guns, though my partners use them Benelli's.
I pray each morning before hunting/fishing and give thanks for all that God has provided, I know I am not deserving but He continues to provide - even though it doesn't seem like it at the time.
jimj
Newb

Postby addict28 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:48 pm

Greetings. My names Grant from Johnson county, ks. New to duck hunting this year and its been a struggle thus far finding them. I have got a few out at hillsdale lake but thats all i've hunted. Im hoping to find some ways to improve my game from the vets and make this an enjoyable experience.
addict28
Newb

Postby Brent08 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:15 pm

My name is Brent. From McKinney Texas. Moved here from Northern California 2 years ago and am looking to duck hunt here. Hunted a lot in Cali but do t know anyone here that hunts. Self employed so I can hunt during the week or really anytime I feel like it! Have a wife and 3 kids who love to eat duck, deer. Looking to meet up with a few people to hunt with.
Brent08
Newb

Postby thinblueline2267 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:44 pm

Hi, Im Don, not new to hunting, but new to waterfowl, in fact I have tried to bust ducks on a creek once and that is it. I live in southwest Missouri, and honestly don't know where to even start at this point. I am going to buy a dog this spring and start heavy hunting next fall, but will attempt to creek hunting again this winter. Otherwise, not sure where to start, if anyone can give me any tips on what to do to get started in this sport please let me know!
thinblueline2267
Newb

Postby waterfowlmojo » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:06 pm

Hey whats going on everyone, I'm Zach, I'm from athens, ga and have ducked hunted off and on for the past 2-3 years. I'm looking to get serious about waterfowl hunting. Meaning I'm want to start hunting on my own. Just seeing if anyone can give me tips on great places to hunt locally and statewide. I've got waders, a mossberg 835 12 guage, and a couple calls, but I dont have decoys. Any recommendations on a set of decoys to purchase, along with any other recommended duck hunting gear? I've got an 8ft boat with a trolling motor as well.

Ive hunted the redlands WMA off hwy 15 several times and a couple places in the oconee national forest area with a couple buddies of mine. But I'm still overall new to the sport and any advice, opinions or comments would be much appreciated! Feel free to PM me.
waterfowlmojo
Newb

Postby Tyrel Palmer » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:49 am

Hello yall. My name is Tyrel Palmer, and I am currently living in Juneau, Alaska, located in the southeast section called the Inside Passage between Canada and the Pacific. I grew up in Southern/Eastern Oregon where my dad was a deer hunter but I never got a chance to take my own game. I bounced around the Pacific Northwest for a few years before moving to Alaska, my first year I only fished and then last season started deer hunting again. IN October a buddy invited me out to go duck hunting, and I told him I'd never shot a shotgun before. SO we went and shot 180 clays and I had a blast. Bought my own shotgun and spent the rest of the season jump shooting as often as I could. This season I regrouped, bought some duck calls and some decoys and have been trying to learn how to use them. I joined this site because almost anytime I try to look something up I find a link to a conversation on here. So I joined last night. I'm super excited about duck hunting and even though I haven't had a lot of success so far with my decoys and calling, since I'm trying to figure this out on my own, it definitely has been a lot of fun and I've seen more success then I did last year....primarily due to better shooting.

I'm hunting with a Remington 870 Super Magnum, which I got Hunter Specialties Camo tape for, and just purchased a Final Approach Eliminator Express blind. I'm shooting 3.5" Winchester SuperX, but next year will definitely be dropping back down to 3" because I keep hitting my finger on recoil (started a thread here and all the advice I got said re downgrade). I"m hunting over 8 teal, 20 mallards, 2 pintails and a goose floater decoys. Falmbeau and Tanglefree. My calls currently are Duck Commander, I have their 6 in 1 Whistle, Teal Hen and Duck Picker, and bought their stuff before I ever heard of Duck Dynasty (I had watched an old episode of Benelli Presents Duck Commander and liked what I saw). Primarily my hunting influence has come from my brother-in-law who grew up hunting here but now lives where I grew up in Oregon. I have 2 friends who hunt here, one almost as inexperienced as me and the other was a guide from Montana, unfortunately his busy schedule has only allowed for the occasional hunt together.

Here in Juneau I'm primarily hunting for Mallards and Teal, but we see just about everything as we have both Sea Ducks and regular Ducks. We hunt in the wetlands, since we are a coastal community and most of the lakes are in no shooting zones. It causes interesting shooting environments since the tide changes as much as 25 feet every 6 hours, to as low as about 8-10 feet. The average tide is 15 feet, so if you want to only be out a few hours you have to be really careful where you set up, how long your decoy lines are, and often have to readjust during your time. Overall I'm becoming more addicted to this sport the more I go out and I love every minute of it. There are few things I've done in my life that have been this much fun!
If God wanted us to be vegetarians, he would have made broccoli more fun to shoot at.

Days hunted 4
Mallards 3
Teal 4
Tyrel Palmer
hunter

Postby EvanJ » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:16 pm

Hey everyone!

I am Evan and I hunt in south Texas and occasionally south Louisiana. I've only been duck hunting for about two years now so I'm still pretty new. Currently in college at North Texas and would love to public hunt on the lakes around here but I don't have a dog or boat so haven't really tried. I'm really looking forward to continue hunting and become a better duck hunter. Glad to be part of this forum!
EvanJ
hunter

Postby Mountain Hi » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:42 am

Big Chris here from salt lake city everything is frozen up except the big water and a few canals.
Mountain Hi
Newb

Postby Mountain Hi » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:43 am

Mountain Hi wrote:Big Chris here from salt lake city everything is frozen up except the big water and a few canals.

"when in doubt, Whip it out" The Mojo that is.
Mountain Hi
Newb

Postby potomacwaterfowler » Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:22 pm

hey a little background on myself,
My name is Alex, I am from Potomac Maryland and I am a freshmen in college leaving Penn state and going to either Western Carolina or Clemson for Construction management. I have been doing deep sea fishing during family trips and got hooked on bass fishing last year and going to be apart of the bass fishing team at my new school. no one in my family hunts except for extended family in Florida. looking for all tips, and anyone that would like to take me on a hunt to get to know what its all about or any new guys that would like to get started together. My girlfriend said she would do it with me so if she wants it would be me plus 1.
all tips and comments are welcome!
cast and blast in the 301
potomacwaterfowler
Newb

Postby laduckin » Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:16 pm

Hello guys,
My name is Cliff and I'm from south east Louisiana. Grew up hunting deer and ducks but my passion for duck hunting grew as I got older. Ive been hunting hard this year and trying to learn as much as possible as I would consider myself a novice. I currently hunt out of Big branch and wherever else I can get to. God bless!
laduckin
Newb

Postby medicoli » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:34 pm

Hi, I'm Jay and I live in Oklahoma. I've been reading the forum for the past month. Just decided to join. I started duck hunting this year, my friends got me into it. Otherwise I have been hunting since I was 10. I don't have a dog or boat yet. I shoot a Remington 870, I love it. I have had for for the last 7 years. I have a bunch of decoys and I'm horrible at calling so I don't even try. I am looking at buying a GSP in the future. Still learning a lot about duck hunting.
medicoli
hunter

Postby JustinJ » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:13 pm

My name is Justin Justrabo. Reside in south ms, blown up this way by huricaine Katrina from lower Plaquemines parish La. Been duck hunting since the age of 6. Grew up hunting off Mississippi Bayou in which is now the Maurepas Swamp WMA, which was some of the best mallard hunting this earth had to offer in its day. Ever since the swamp dried up in the 90's been hunting Delta federal refuge at the mouth of the Ms river in Venice La. I shoot my grandfathers 1947 Auto-5 most of the time, and a ruger red lable the rest. Do most of my hunting from a 1946 aluminum crawfish skiff that I built. Glad to be on the forum.

Justin
JustinJ
hunter

Postby Duckbenelli » Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:52 pm

My name is Bart I live in muscle shoals Alabama. 49 years old never been duck hunting. A few guys at work talk about going so I told them I would like to go . So I jumped all in and went and bought some drake LST eqwaders and a drake pullover hoody ,bottom fleece . A mayday FLAK single reed call. Maybe that will get me started. I already have a Benelli SBE II that I have had for several years that I turkey hunt and dove hunt with, so I shoved in the mod. Choke and bought some black cloud #2 3 1/2 inchers. I looked at the sight for some gear suggestions but the stuff I bought was the norm around here, so maybe it will be good enough. Been a ford technician for thirty years and quit about a year ago to work maintenance at aluminum rolling plant. I work 14 days out of the month so,anyone needing a tag along just holler. Looking forward to the site. I also shoot cowboy action, Idpa and some formal local rimfire match's.
Duckbenelli
Newb

Postby Erock » Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:52 am

Hello my name is Evan I'm newbie. Started last Season and got hooked. I live in Sacramento CA and hunt the delta. Only hunted the refuges twice a lot of birds but a lot of standing around too. I shoot an 870 supermag. I use a 10 foot kayak to get to my spot and retrieve my own ducks (no dog). My rig 2011 taco 4x4 with shell and rack. Found the site looking for some duck recipes. Love seeing ducks from all over this great country.
Erock
Newb

Postby highrockblues » Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:04 am

Hi everyone central peidmont n.c. hunter. I'm a big believer on decoyed birds before shooting. I hunt the highrock area wit Bhutto poor to moderate hunting most of the year till late normally. My labs I raise make it a very enjoyable sport for me great dogs make great hunts. I am an avid outdoorsman hunting pretty much everything, but the ducks dam them ducks its like a drug. Thanks for having me hope the birds r landing in the decs for everyone. Local report not many birds here yet we need some cold weather to the north. Try finding some flooded timber has been working for me this week birds that r here r hiding gl
highrockblues
Newb

Postby PursuitJRM » Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:00 pm

My name is John M. From Rocky Mount, NC which is east of Raleigh, NC about 50 miles. New to hunting and as well as the shotgun. Was wandering where I may be able to practice shooting at around here? Maybe someone can lead me and take me under their helm, show me around the sport so to speak. Thanks!
PursuitJRM
Newb

Postby Riderdean » Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:55 am

I live in Dallas, TX and want to start duck hunting but have never been. I have no friends who duck hunt. Do guides ever take on 101 groups? I am not a stranger to firearms. I have shot my whole life mostly target and range. I have a Texas CHL. I a, currently looking at a few shotguns for duck and turkey. Anyone know where a texans can "learn" to duck hunt?
Riderdean
Newb

Postby uglymug » Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:08 am

My name is CJ,
I live in Columbus, WI. Not new to duck hunting, but really starting to get into it independently instead of going only with my dad. I use an 870 supermag, but I'm saving for a Versa Max or a Vinci (haven't decided yet). I own a 12 week old American Water Spaniel that will be my hunting companion next year. Happy to be part of the forum!

Here's Penny, my American Water Spaniel...

And here's me hunting woodies this November.
uglymug
hunter

Postby hipster_hunter » Tue Dec 24, 2013 7:49 pm

Hello! Just started hunting ducks up here in Massachusetts this season after one of my friends took me out - first experience with any hunting, and I was instantly hooked. I think it's hilarious and awesome that so many other people experience this same obsession :yes: . It's been a ton of fun so far, been out maybe 8 times now, seen birds flying every time, and have walked away with birds the past couple of times. The marshes up on the coast are beautiful and hunting has been a great excuse to get outside and explore with some buddies. Shooting an 870 Express and mostly Fasteel #2, some Black Cloud and BC Close Range. Looking forward to learning more and getting better!
Last edited by hipster_hunter on Wed Dec 25, 2013 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hipster_hunter
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to The Honey Hole