Ways to improve calling

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, La. Hunter, steve-o, #1wingnut, lostpup, Preacher1011

Ways to improve calling

Postby Cripple.creek » Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:35 am

Hey, I was looking for ways to improve my duck calling technique. I have my basic calls down pretty well and I was wondering what were some good ways to refine my techniques. There aren't many advanced duck calling videos on YouTube or Google, does anyone know any ways besides buying DVD's?
Cripple.creek
hunter
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:51 pm


Re: Ways to improve calling

Postby MinnesotaDan » Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:06 am

Call like the ducks do.
Nobody cares about your season totals.
User avatar
MinnesotaDan
hunter
 
Posts: 4506
Joined: Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:33 am
Location: Out Here

Re: Ways to improve calling

Postby Glimmerjim » Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:32 am

MinnesotaDan wrote:Call like the ducks do.

Or become a duck then just call naturally! :thumbsup:
Glimmerjim
hunter
 
Posts: 10870
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:41 am

Re: Ways to improve calling

Postby aunt betty » Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:07 am

Try humming. The guides I know all do it.
This will sound strange and I don't care but the way to "play" a duck call is very similar to playing a kazoo.
Try it and see. :)
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
User avatar
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved
 
Posts: 11696
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:09 pm
Location: Go HOGS!

Re: Ways to improve calling

Postby Rick Hall » Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:50 am

I don't know squat about playing a kazoo, but I know this guide doesn't hum into a call. Nothing remotely like it.

C.C, if you've not checked out the Ducklander tip videos on Youtube, you might want to: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDFC74A4E46B2BC49
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
User avatar
Rick Hall
hunter
 
Posts: 13813
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:03 pm

Re: Ways to improve calling

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:53 am

I just bought bad grammer great goose CD. Rnt makes a couple of good ones and you tube is good for more than cat videos

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
I hope someday someone remembers this old dog with kindness and gives me to a puppy.

-Gene Hill

fadetoblack188 wrote:forget i asked.. mods please delete.. the scum bags on this site are overwhelming.
User avatar
OHIODUCKA5
hunter
 
Posts: 13942
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:46 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: Ways to improve calling

Postby cluckmeister » Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:59 am

If youre that concerned about your calling skills, why not throw a couple dozen decoys out where you normally hunt and practice calling them, I don't believe its illegal as long as no firearm is around, BTW for some great pictures take a camera
If you're there for the limit, you're there for the wrong reason
cluckmeister
State Moderator
 
Posts: 2563
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:41 pm
Location: Central Kansas

Re: Ways to improve calling

Postby Underradar » Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:46 am

There is an art of commanding ducks.
My lab died, and no one on Duckhuntingchat even cared.

Google I'm feeling lucky: DU biologist stole my car

You may win a fight, but you can never win an argument.
User avatar
Underradar
hunter
 
Posts: 5166
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:09 pm
Location: Rut Coon, LA

Re: Ways to improve calling

Postby t_baker » Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:49 am

Underradar wrote:There is an art of commanding ducks.

All joking aside I think it was rick or swamp that said the original VHS of that was a great video.
User avatar
t_baker
hunter
 
Posts: 8240
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:20 pm
Location: Harrod Ohio

Re: Ways to improve calling

Postby aunt betty » Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:24 pm

Say twit through the call. Some world champion said something like that.
Twit. :)
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
User avatar
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved
 
Posts: 11696
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:09 pm
Location: Go HOGS!

Re: Ways to improve calling

Postby Rick Hall » Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:27 pm

t_baker wrote:
Underradar wrote:There is an art of commanding ducks.

All joking aside I think it was rick or swamp that said the original VHS of that was a great video.


I don't know about "great," but it was a good, easy to understand one that held the viewer's interest with examples of birds working.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
User avatar
Rick Hall
hunter
 
Posts: 13813
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:03 pm

Re: Ways to improve calling

Postby Indaswamp » Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:28 pm

Rick Hall wrote:
t_baker wrote:
Underradar wrote:There is an art of commanding ducks.

All joking aside I think it was rick or swamp that said the original VHS of that was a great video.


I don't know about "great," but it was a good, easy to understand one that held the viewer's interest with examples of birds working.

The footage of how the birds respond to the call is the best part of the video. Also, the "went to do what" in the video is pretty good too. It is a general video though, not very species specific. There are things I do differently depending on what species of duck I have in front of me working to get them to finish.
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
User avatar
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 58185
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:40 pm
Location: South Louisiana

Re: Ways to improve calling

Postby possumfoot » Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:00 am

if you want to learn to work birds better, go to a refuge and listen and watch..
WTN10 wrote:He was funny like a Pomeranian getting kicked over a fence.


pgquackstacker wrote:I actually started bringing a gun with me on dates, so I bring the girl's father out to my car and tell him if he tries to cock-block me I'll kill him.
User avatar
possumfoot
hunter
 
Posts: 5793
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2005 5:13 pm
Location: making sesbania my bitch

Re: Ways to improve calling

Postby Indaswamp » Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:13 am

possumfoot wrote:if you want to learn to work birds better, go to a refuge and listen and watch..

yep. I sat on the roof in the afternoons at my cousin's camp and just watched and listened to ducks on the water for hours on end.
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
User avatar
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 58185
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:40 pm
Location: South Louisiana

Re: Ways to improve calling

Postby wanapasaki » Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:28 am

Hang out with other callers. I have about 6 guys I hunt with all season, most of them members on here. On the off season or on slow days, we try to mimic each other. Gets your vocal chords used to different sounds/pitches. Like mentioned above ^ Go listen to them in a local refuge etc. No one teachers better then the ducks. I record them on my phone, and use it as reference when I get home and sit down with the calls.
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
User avatar
wanapasaki
hunter
 
Posts: 2508
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:45 am
Location: Tehachapi, CA

Re: Ways to improve calling

Postby Glimmerjim » Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:28 pm

More than once I have heard calling in the distance from someone and said to myself..."That is the worst caller I have ever heard". Only to find out later it was a duck.
Glimmerjim
hunter
 
Posts: 10870
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:41 am

Re: Ways to improve calling

Postby wanapasaki » Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:30 pm

Glimmerjim wrote:More than once I have heard calling in the distance from someone and said to myself..."That is the worst caller I have ever heard". Only to find out later it was a duck.



Lol Jim, were you listening to gaddy's??
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
User avatar
wanapasaki
hunter
 
Posts: 2508
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:45 am
Location: Tehachapi, CA

Re: Ways to improve calling

Postby Rick Hall » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:58 pm

possumfoot wrote:if you want to learn to work birds better, go to a refuge and listen and watch..


There are some good live duck clips on Youtube and Zink sells a CD of wild mallards calling that are probably handier ways for most to learn bird sounds and cadences. Not that faithfully mimicking either is necessarily the best way to work birds, but they're certainly not bad tools to have in the box.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
User avatar
Rick Hall
hunter
 
Posts: 13813
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:03 pm

Re: Ways to improve calling

Postby possumfoot » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:25 pm

Rick Hall wrote:
possumfoot wrote:if you want to learn to work birds better, go to a refuge and listen and watch..


Not that faithfully mimicking either is necessarily the best way to work birds, but they're certainly not bad tools to have in the box.


no, but it is the best way to improve short of actaully working the birds.

there is no "best" way to work ducks..
WTN10 wrote:He was funny like a Pomeranian getting kicked over a fence.


pgquackstacker wrote:I actually started bringing a gun with me on dates, so I bring the girl's father out to my car and tell him if he tries to cock-block me I'll kill him.
User avatar
possumfoot
hunter
 
Posts: 5793
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2005 5:13 pm
Location: making sesbania my bitch

Re: Ways to improve calling

Postby Indaswamp » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:57 pm

possumfoot wrote:
Rick Hall wrote:
possumfoot wrote:if you want to learn to work birds better, go to a refuge and listen and watch..


Not that faithfully mimicking either is necessarily the best way to work birds, but they're certainly not bad tools to have in the box.


no, but it is the best way to improve short of actaully working the birds.

there is no "best" way to work ducks..

My vote would be years and years of doing it....working ducks that is. Preferably lots of times per hunt and lots of hunts per year.....
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
User avatar
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 58185
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:40 pm
Location: South Louisiana

Re: Ways to improve calling

Postby Glimmerjim » Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:13 am

wanapasaki wrote:
Glimmerjim wrote:More than once I have heard calling in the distance from someone and said to myself..."That is the worst caller I have ever heard". Only to find out later it was a duck.



Lol Jim, were you listening to gaddy's??

Yep! And hen spoonies. When you're expecting to hear mallards, they both can sound like really poor imitations! :lol3:
Glimmerjim
hunter
 
Posts: 10870
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:41 am

Re: Ways to improve calling

Postby KAhunter » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:15 am

It sounds weird but I used to blow my call when I was driving to class and around town in college. You get strange looks sometimes but its a good time to practice and it helped me get alot better. I would work on your other duck calls and goose calls just as much. I use those way more than I do mallard calls these days.
"If you have to be crazy to be a duck hunter, i dont wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

Its always duck season, there is just a long break from february to september.
KAhunter
hunter
 
Posts: 2015
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2005 9:11 am

Re: Ways to improve calling

Postby Rick Hall » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:13 am

Indaswamp wrote:
possumfoot wrote:
Rick Hall wrote:
possumfoot wrote:if you want to learn to work birds better, go to a refuge and listen and watch..


Not that faithfully mimicking either is necessarily the best way to work birds, but they're certainly not bad tools to have in the box.


no, but it is the best way to improve short of actaully working the birds.

there is no "best" way to work ducks..

My vote would be years and years of doing it....working ducks that is. Preferably lots of times per hunt and lots of hunts per year.....


I think there's a lot to what you guys are saying. But the very best piece of duck working advice I've received from a human came in the form of an observation from a fellow on his very first duck hunt who simply paid better attention to what was happening than I. So I'll suggest that is the fast track to learning to work birds. Pay the best attention you possibly can to what you and the birds are doing and call or experiment accordingly.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
User avatar
Rick Hall
hunter
 
Posts: 13813
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:03 pm

Re: Ways to improve calling

Postby aunt betty » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:00 am

The quickest and most efficient way I can think of to improve your duck calling is to go to Bayou Bottoms and get Kenny or Mike to hunt with you a few times. Pay attention and you will learn fast. Worth every penny.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
User avatar
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved
 
Posts: 11696
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:09 pm
Location: Go HOGS!

Re: Ways to improve calling

Postby TheMiz » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:29 am

KAhunter wrote:It sounds weird but I used to blow my call when I was driving to class and around town in college. You get strange looks sometimes but its a good time to practice and it helped me get alot better. I would work on your other duck calls and goose calls just as much. I use those way more than I do mallard calls these days.


Yes, put them in your car and practice on your way to work and back. I'm doing the same thing but with some new mouth calls for turkey season. It's the best way to get in a lot of practice time with out getting on the nerves of you family/roomates.
User avatar
TheMiz
hunter
 
Posts: 137
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:59 am
Location: KS

Next

Return to The Honey Hole

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bigkc82, MAH, Yahoo [Bot] and 54 guests