Bait caster

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, lostpup, #1wingnut, steve-o, Preacher1011, La. Hunter

Re: Bait caster

Postby Papachessie » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:07 am

You get a lot more even pressure on fish with a baitcaster. Tiring them faster. You have to pump a spinning outfit, not a casting setup. At least on the size fish we catch on inland lakes. You can cast a lot farther and more accurately with heavier line too.
Jarbo03 wrote:Those two are nothing but life support systems for vaginas
Papachessie
hunter

Postby Papachessie » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:13 am

T Man wrote:
bighop wrote:
t_baker wrote:
bighop wrote:
t_baker wrote:What do you crappie fish with?
All my ultralight stuff is spinning. Crappie pole is a spin cast, but I don't care much for it.

Almost all of my salt inshore and surf is casting. I'm building a heavy jetty rig that will be spinning.

Building rods looks like it would be a good time. I have a friend that does it, amazing how nice they can come out.

My last one:

Ill bet that goes really well with your purse. Does Barbie have a travel case so it doesn't get damaged during transport?

Ha ha, in all seriousness that is very cool. I would love to build one myself if I even had half a clue where to start. I havent found a rod yet that suits how I catfish out of my boat.

Not that hard once your past the learning curve. Get a book. Don't do like I did and try to learn yourself. That makes the learning curve extremely steep. www.jannsnetcraft.com mudhole.com and BarlowsTackle.com have all you need to learn. Mudhole even has classes if you want to go to Florida.
Jarbo03 wrote:Those two are nothing but life support systems for vaginas
Papachessie
hunter

Postby bighop » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:21 am

Papachessie wrote:Not that hard once your past the learning curve. Get a book. Don't do like I did and try to learn yourself. That makes the learning curve extremely steep. http://www.jannsnetcraft.com mudhole.com and BarlowsTackle.com have all you need to learn. Mudhole even has classes if you want to go to Florida.

Lots of youtube videos too. Rodbuilding.org also has more info than one can digest. I didn't get a book, but there was a lot of screen time. I built my own hand wrapper from scrap lumber, it's working just fine. Do wish for a power wrapper for those 10' shark rods though. They take mucho time.
Rick Hall 2016
He'll turn it all around. Unless he doesn't.
bighop
Sugar Daddy

Postby grizz18 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:36 am

bighop wrote:
Feelin' Fowl wrote::lol: But why?

I can't work a topwater right on a spinner, but some can. I end up with a lot less fatigue at the end of the day with a baitcaster, we only throw artificials, so there's a little work to it. Spinners can put more drag to a fish than a baitcaster in similar sizes, which is why they're more popular in FL, from what I hear. They have more chance of a tarpon or snook slurping down that trout lure than we do. I use braid and don't get wind knots in my baitcasters, which is more of a problem with braid on spinners. It's just personal preference. Unless you're cool, then you use a baitcaster.

I use spinners for trout/reds, I just can't get used to the low profile baitcasters for anything but bass.... I know that makes zero sense just a stupid personal thing. I do have a problem with wind knots, hate that schit.
grizz18
Squatch Life

Postby bighop » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:58 am

grizz18 wrote:
bighop wrote:

I can't work a topwater right on a spinner, but some can. I end up with a lot less fatigue at the end of the day with a baitcaster, we only throw artificials, so there's a little work to it. Spinners can put more drag to a fish than a baitcaster in similar sizes, which is why they're more popular in FL, from what I hear. They have more chance of a tarpon or snook slurping down that trout lure than we do. I use braid and don't get wind knots in my baitcasters, which is more of a problem with braid on spinners. It's just personal preference. Unless you're cool, then you use a baitcaster.

I use spinners for trout/reds, I just can't get used to the low profile baitcasters for anything but bass.... I know that makes zero sense just a stupid personal thing. I do have a problem with wind knots, hate that schit.

Have you tried those Microwaves? I fished with her rod a little, not enough to judge, then the boat decided to act up and went to the shop. They're cathcing on down here (even in the baitcasters, which I don't get.)
Rick Hall 2016
bighop
Sugar Daddy

Postby grizz18 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:03 am

bighop wrote:
grizz18 wrote:
bighop wrote:

Have you tried those Microwaves? I fished with her rod a little, not enough to judge, then the boat decided to act up and went to the shop. They're cathcing on down here (even in the baitcasters, which I don't get.)

Never heard of them.
grizz18
Squatch Life

Postby bighop » Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:48 am

grizz18 wrote:
bighop wrote:
grizz18 wrote:
bighop wrote:

Never heard of them.

I posted a link a few posts back. Take a look.
Rick Hall 2016
bighop
Sugar Daddy

Postby Indaswamp » Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:27 am

got a buddy that repairs rods. if it is broke anywhere in the top 20% of the rod-he can fix it. charges $7.00 for the repair. I would not use them for a worm rod, but for just about everything else they work well. He turns the rod on a rotisserie motor after he epoxies the eyes.
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby grizz18 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:40 am

bighop wrote:
grizz18 wrote:
bighop wrote:
grizz18 wrote:
bighop wrote:

Never heard of them.

Pretty cool.. May have to look into those.
grizz18
Squatch Life

Postby bighop » Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:43 am

Indaswamp wrote:got a buddy that repairs rods. if it is broke anywhere in the top 20% of the rod-he can fix it. charges $7.00 for the repair. I would not use them for a worm rod, but for just about everything else they work well. He turns the rod on a rotisserie motor after he epoxies the eyes.

Yeah, after the finish is applied, it has to be on a dryer for ~4hrs to keep it even all around. 9-18 RPM is most common, but some dry on up to 200 rpm. Actual rotisserie motors are usually slower, around 1rpm. I wanted to make the dryer, ended up just buying one.

I still want to make a power wrapper, just need an old sewing machine with the foot pedal so I can scavenge the motor.
Rick Hall 2016
bighop
Sugar Daddy

Postby bighop » Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:44 am

grizz18 wrote:
bighop wrote:
grizz18 wrote:
bighop wrote:
grizz18 wrote:
bighop wrote:

Never heard of them.

Pretty cool.. May have to look into those.

You know, I just remembered that on that last trip, that brand new battle stopped working. The bail wouldn't lock back to cast. That problem was overshadowed in my mind by the Etec's lack of charging...
Rick Hall 2016
bighop
Sugar Daddy

Postby grizz18 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:02 pm

No problems with mine so far, got it last summer. Pretty pleased with it. I let the wife use it the first day I bought it, also her first time really fishing. She caught the inshore slam and a 25-26" red for her first one!

grizz18
Squatch Life

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:14 pm

bighop wrote:

Thank you, sir. I think I'll stay not cool for a while. I'm a fan of trying to catch the biggest bass I possibly can on ultralight gear. Looks like there's no need for a baitcaster right now.
luie b wrote:I think you guys were right.
Feelin' Fowl
hunter

Postby T Man » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:01 am

bighop wrote:
T Man wrote:Ha ha, in all seriousness that is very cool. I would love to build one myself if I even had half a clue where to start. I havent found a rod yet that suits how I catfish out of my boat.

Anything like this? http://2coolfishing.com/ttmbforum/showthread.php?t=658313

Pretty close. I chase flatheads instead of blues, but I either find a rod with a really sensitive tip and no backbone or a ton of backbone and a tip that wont show light takes from flatheads. I have been using a rod with a sensitive tip and sacrificing the backbone and have gotten away with it so far, but I know eventually I will hook up on a fish big enough to break it. I bought a couple of 8' rods for drifting, but I like the 7's for anchored fishing. Seems easier to fight fish from the boat with a 7'
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:13 am

T Man wrote:
bighop wrote:
T Man wrote:Ha ha, in all seriousness that is very cool. I would love to build one myself if I even had half a clue where to start. I havent found a rod yet that suits how I catfish out of my boat.

Pretty close. I chase flatheads instead of blues, but I either find a rod with a really sensitive tip and no backbone or a ton of backbone and a tip that wont show light takes from flatheads. I have been using a rod with a sensitive tip and sacrificing the backbone and have gotten away with it so far, but I know eventually I will hook up on a fish big enough to break it. I bought a couple of 8' rods for drifting, but I like the 7's for anchored fishing. Seems easier to fight fish from the boat with a 7'

have you looked at bass flipping rods? lots of back bone with a fast tip....

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:20 am

these guys make a great rod G loomis blanks

http://www.tforods.com/
I hope someday someone remembers this old dog with kindness and gives me to a puppy.

-Gene Hill
OHIODUCKA5
hunter

Postby bighop » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:23 am

Indaswamp wrote:
T Man wrote:
bighop wrote:

have you looked at bass flipping rods? lots of back bone with a fast tip....

He needs a slower tip. Most fast actions have too much tip. He'll likely be happier with a mod, maybe mod-fast tip.

I just finished a similar, though smaller build and the blank was tough to find. I wanted a bait casting rod to throw weightless soft plastics to tailing reds. Took a while to find a tip that would load with a 1/16 oz total weight and have the backbone for slot reds.
Rick Hall 2016
bighop
Sugar Daddy

Postby T Man » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:02 pm

Indaswamp wrote:have you looked at bass flipping rods? lots of back bone with a fast tip....

Not many bass rods are designed to regularly fight 20-40lb+ fish and horse them out of cover or current.
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby grizz18 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:55 pm

T Man wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:have you looked at bass flipping rods? lots of back bone with a fast tip....

Not many bass rods are designed to regularly fight 20-40lb+ fish and horse them out of cover or current.

My terramar (shimano) 7' med-Hev would do the trick. I used it for deep water flounder and have caught 5' rays that would be comp to a 20-30lb cat
grizz18
Squatch Life

Postby Indaswamp » Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:37 pm

T Man wrote:

I found one I used for cranking gold spoons for redfishing until it broke one day. I had it in a rod holder and a bull red hit the dead minnow still on the hook with about 12 ft. of line out (I had just caught a speckled trout). He snapped the rod when it hung on the rear cleat on the gunwale...
I could handle 25lb. reds in current.

But you are right, not many out there..You might need to look at saltwater rods. there are offshore jigging rods that have backbone and sensitive tips.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby t_baker » Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:28 pm

Went to bass pro today. Looked at reels. More confused than ever
t_baker
hunter

Postby quacknstack6 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:47 pm

t_baker wrote:Went to bass pro today. Looked at reels. More confused than ever

Get the $80 lews and be done, dammit.
assateague wrote:When. I. Kill. One. You. Bastards. Are. Never. Gonna. Hear. The. End. Of. It.
quacknstack6
hunter

Postby T Man » Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:51 pm

Buy the most expensive reel. Its probably the best and its not my money.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:56 pm

Buy any reel with Uncle Si on it

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
I hope someday someone remembers this old dog with kindness and gives me to a puppy.

-Gene Hill
OHIODUCKA5
hunter

Postby t_baker » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:30 pm

quacknstack6 wrote:

Get the $80 lews and be done, dammit.

Either I'm blind or they don't exist at our BPS, but I couldn't find a Lew's today.
t_baker
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to The Honey Hole