Bait caster

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, La. Hunter, steve-o, #1wingnut, lostpup, Preacher1011

Re: Bait caster

Postby quacknstack6 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:48 pm

t_baker wrote:
quacknstack6 wrote:
t_baker wrote:Went to bass pro today. Looked at reels. More confused than ever

Get the $80 lews and be done, dammit.

Either I'm blind or they don't exist at our BPS, but I couldn't find a Lew's today.

Google them dummy.
assateague wrote:When. I. Kill. One. You. Bastards. Are. Never. Gonna. Hear. The. End. Of. It.
User avatar
quacknstack6
hunter
 
Posts: 6741
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:28 pm
Location: Lexington, Kentucky


Re: Bait caster

Postby t_baker » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:52 pm

quacknstack6 wrote:
t_baker wrote:
quacknstack6 wrote:
t_baker wrote:Went to bass pro today. Looked at reels. More confused than ever

Get the $80 lews and be done, dammit.

Either I'm blind or they don't exist at our BPS, but I couldn't find a Lew's today.

Google them dummy.

I wanted to hold one
User avatar
t_baker
hunter
 
Posts: 8221
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:20 pm
Location: Harrod Ohio

Re: Bait caster

Postby Botiz630 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:54 pm

Hehe.
I need about tree fiddy.
User avatar
Botiz630
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 16926
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:24 pm
Location: Indiana

Re: Bait caster

Postby t_baker » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:58 pm

Botiz630 wrote:Hehe.

Don't you giggle
User avatar
t_baker
hunter
 
Posts: 8221
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:20 pm
Location: Harrod Ohio

Re: Bait caster

Postby Glimmerjim » Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:39 am

Papachessie wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:t_b, when shimano stopped making the original curado, everyone here switched to the Lew's. Very dependable reel.

Inda, now the Citica has the features of the old Curado. Just over 100.00.

http://www.amazon.com/Shimano-Citica-G- ... B0083GYHIY

I like lefty reels.

Me too. I learned it fly fishing and then could never go back. Why reel with the same hand you cast with?
Glimmerjim
hunter
 
Posts: 10865
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:41 am

Re: Bait caster

Postby Glimmerjim » Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:46 am

bighop wrote:
Papachessie wrote:Not that hard once your past the learning curve. Get a book. Don't do like I did and try to learn yourself. That makes the learning curve extremely steep. http://www.jannsnetcraft.com mudhole.com and BarlowsTackle.com have all you need to learn. Mudhole even has classes if you want to go to Florida.

Lots of youtube videos too. Rodbuilding.org also has more info than one can digest. I didn't get a book, but there was a lot of screen time. I built my own hand wrapper from scrap lumber, it's working just fine. Do wish for a power wrapper for those 10' shark rods though. They take mucho time.

I did the same thing, and have been building rods for years with it. Mostly fly rods, but I'll do anything. Where I really would like to use a motorized one is when I put on the flex coat. Just haven't gotten around to getting one. I go through binges where I do it for days or a week or two, then put it away for 6 months or a year, so I never get around to ordering the wrapper. Good thought, though. You reminded me to just get one and be done with it. I get my stuff through Mudhole, as absolutely no one in town has anything any more.
Glimmerjim
hunter
 
Posts: 10865
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:41 am

Re: Bait caster

Postby Glimmerjim » Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:52 am

bighop wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:got a buddy that repairs rods. if it is broke anywhere in the top 20% of the rod-he can fix it. charges $7.00 for the repair. I would not use them for a worm rod, but for just about everything else they work well. He turns the rod on a rotisserie motor after he epoxies the eyes.

Yeah, after the finish is applied, it has to be on a dryer for ~4hrs to keep it even all around. 9-18 RPM is most common, but some dry on up to 200 rpm. Actual rotisserie motors are usually slower, around 1rpm. I wanted to make the dryer, ended up just buying one.

I still want to make a power wrapper, just need an old sewing machine with the foot pedal so I can scavenge the motor.

Exactly Bighop. I've got the motor and pedal in the garage, just never seem to get around to putting something together. I would think you could go to a sewing maching repair place and they could set you up very cheaply. I do a few bamboo fly rods, also, and need to make something that would draw the rod blank vertically out of a tube of varnish at a very slow pace. That's the only way that I know of to get a flawless varnish coat.
Glimmerjim
hunter
 
Posts: 10865
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:41 am

Re: Bait caster

Postby Glimmerjim » Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:55 am

T Man wrote:
t_baker wrote:Went to bass pro today. Looked at reels. More confused than ever


Buy the most expensive reel. Its probably the best and its not my money.

:lol3:
Glimmerjim
hunter
 
Posts: 10865
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:41 am

Re: Bait caster

Postby Glimmerjim » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:20 am

bighop wrote:
t_baker wrote:
bighop wrote:Round or low profile?

Low pro.

Edit

I've got a couple extra decent ones that Academy sold under their H2O Express brand for not a lot of money. They were incredibly popular down here. You want one? I've got too many. It'll satisfy the need to try one before dropping more money.

Well thanks for burning grizz18 out of a sale, bighop! :lol3: :lol3:
Glimmerjim
hunter
 
Posts: 10865
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:41 am

Re: Bait caster

Postby Glimmerjim » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:29 am

Papachessie wrote:You get a lot more even pressure on fish with a baitcaster. Tiring them faster. You have to pump a spinning outfit, not a casting setup. At least on the size fish we catch on inland lakes. You can cast a lot farther and more accurately with heavier line too.

There are a lot of advantages in my opinion. You can release line with your thumb on the spool at whatever speed you want, you can apply a little more drag with your thumb if you set your drag lightly, which I like to do, the line doesn't twist as much as a spinning reel, the drag is more consistent, you can set a clicker on to let a fish gently take the bait before slamming the hook home. I use spinning reels for trout in small rivers if I'm not using a fly rod, but that's about all.
Glimmerjim
hunter
 
Posts: 10865
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:41 am

Re: Bait caster

Postby 18javelin » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:27 am

Shimano !!!!!!! 100 bucks is about the place to start love my Citicas one is 18-19 years old and tournament fished along with catfished this reel to this day... Curados im sure will last that long also. SHIMANO!
Underradar wrote:Well, its sad really. One day he's happily posting pics of road killed coyotes he posed as if he shot them, the next, he's stomped down the shower drain like a soft turd.
User avatar
18javelin
hunter
 
Posts: 3797
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:01 am
Location: Eckerty IN

Re: Bait caster

Postby jaysweet3 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:07 am

Curado and Calcutta's.
The road to diabetes will be sweet.
User avatar
jaysweet3
hunter
 
Posts: 8598
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2005 8:42 am
Location: N. Illinois

Re: Bait caster

Postby T-TOP » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:32 am

bighop wrote:
t_baker wrote:
bighop wrote:
t_baker wrote:What do you crappie fish with?
All my ultralight stuff is spinning. Crappie pole is a spin cast, but I don't care much for it.

Almost all of my salt inshore and surf is casting. I'm building a heavy jetty rig that will be spinning.


Building rods looks like it would be a good time. I have a friend that does it, amazing how nice they can come out.

My last one:
Image
Image

Off subject a little. Big hop you guys getting any yellowmouth jigs heads in your area? If so they are a must try if you haven't already. A little Pricey but worth it!



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
User avatar
T-TOP
hunter
 
Posts: 258
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:25 am
Location: S.W. Louisiana

Re: Bait caster

Postby bighop » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:48 pm

T-top wrote:Off subject a little. Big hop you guys getting any yellowmouth jigs heads in your area? If so they are a must try if you haven't already. A little Pricey but worth it!



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can't say I've heard of them.

The popular jig heads around here right now are the Rockport Rattler and the Knotty Hooker.
Rick Hall 2016
He'll turn it all around. Unless he doesn't.
User avatar
bighop
Sugar Daddy
 
Posts: 7710
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Bait caster

Postby TJP » Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:00 pm

Feelin' Fowl wrote:I've never thrown a baitcaster. What makes then better than a spinning reel? Or what situations do you use them for?



You can cast greater distances with heavier line. Also, you have a smoother retrieve / fight with the fish. I've also noticed that I can be more precise with my baitcaster than my spinning gear. Even though that precision can only be measured in inches to a foot, in certain situations (casting under logs, dropping a wackky worm right in front of a smallmouth's face) those few inches can be huge. I also find "walking the dog" easier with my baitcaster. With all of that said, most of the time I'm using a spinning setup.
TJP
hunter
 
Posts: 143
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:11 am
Location: Lake County, IL

Re: Bait caster

Postby Indaswamp » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:07 pm

Glimmerjim wrote:
Papachessie wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:t_b, when shimano stopped making the original curado, everyone here switched to the Lew's. Very dependable reel.

Inda, now the Citica has the features of the old Curado. Just over 100.00.

http://www.amazon.com/Shimano-Citica-G- ... B0083GYHIY

I like lefty reels.

Me too. I learned it fly fishing and then could never go back. Why reel with the same hand you cast with?

I'm a lefty with a spinning rod n reel, but a righty with a baitcaster....
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
User avatar
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 58100
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:40 pm
Location: South Louisiana

Re: Bait caster

Postby grizz18 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:09 pm

Indaswamp wrote:
Glimmerjim wrote:
Papachessie wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:t_b, when shimano stopped making the original curado, everyone here switched to the Lew's. Very dependable reel.

Inda, now the Citica has the features of the old Curado. Just over 100.00.

http://www.amazon.com/Shimano-Citica-G- ... B0083GYHIY

I like lefty reels.

Me too. I learned it fly fishing and then could never go back. Why reel with the same hand you cast with?

I'm a lefty with a spinning rod n reel, but a righty with a baitcaster....


Bingo. And its feels awful trying it any other way.
User avatar
grizz18
Squatch Life
 
Posts: 13500
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 8:33 am
Location: NC

Re: Bait caster

Postby Indaswamp » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:11 pm

grizz18 wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:
Glimmerjim wrote:
Papachessie wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:t_b, when shimano stopped making the original curado, everyone here switched to the Lew's. Very dependable reel.

Inda, now the Citica has the features of the old Curado. Just over 100.00.

http://www.amazon.com/Shimano-Citica-G- ... B0083GYHIY

I like lefty reels.

Me too. I learned it fly fishing and then could never go back. Why reel with the same hand you cast with?

I'm a lefty with a spinning rod n reel, but a righty with a baitcaster....


Bingo. And its feels awful trying it any other way.

:thumbsup: Besties...
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
User avatar
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 58100
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:40 pm
Location: South Louisiana

Re: Bait caster

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:39 pm

TJP wrote:
Feelin' Fowl wrote:I've never thrown a baitcaster. What makes then better than a spinning reel? Or what situations do you use them for?



You can cast greater distances with heavier line. Also, you have a smoother retrieve / fight with the fish. I've also noticed that I can be more precise with my baitcaster than my spinning gear. Even though that precision can only be measured in inches to a foot, in certain situations (casting under logs, dropping a wackky worm right in front of a smallmouth's face) those few inches can be huge. I also find "walking the dog" easier with my baitcaster. With all of that said, most of the time I'm using a spinning setup.


Great answer. Thank you.
luie b wrote:I think you guys were right.
User avatar
Feelin' Fowl
hunter
 
Posts: 670
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:12 am
Location: Northern IL

Re: Bait caster

Postby bighop » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:23 am

Indaswamp wrote:
grizz18 wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:
Glimmerjim wrote:
Papachessie wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:t_b, when shimano stopped making the original curado, everyone here switched to the Lew's. Very dependable reel.

Inda, now the Citica has the features of the old Curado. Just over 100.00.

http://www.amazon.com/Shimano-Citica-G- ... B0083GYHIY

I like lefty reels.

Me too. I learned it fly fishing and then could never go back. Why reel with the same hand you cast with?

I'm a lefty with a spinning rod n reel, but a righty with a baitcaster....


Bingo. And its feels awful trying it any other way.

:thumbsup: Besties...

You guys too!?!?!

Everyone looks at me weird when they pick up my spinning reels.

Tried a lefty baitcaster once, just see if I could. No bueno.
Rick Hall 2016
He'll turn it all around. Unless he doesn't.
User avatar
bighop
Sugar Daddy
 
Posts: 7710
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Bait caster

Postby Indaswamp » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:24 am

bighop wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:
grizz18 wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:
Glimmerjim wrote:
Papachessie wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:t_b, when shimano stopped making the original curado, everyone here switched to the Lew's. Very dependable reel.

Inda, now the Citica has the features of the old Curado. Just over 100.00.

http://www.amazon.com/Shimano-Citica-G- ... B0083GYHIY

I like lefty reels.

Me too. I learned it fly fishing and then could never go back. Why reel with the same hand you cast with?

I'm a lefty with a spinning rod n reel, but a righty with a baitcaster....


Bingo. And its feels awful trying it any other way.

:thumbsup: Besties...

You guys too!?!?!

Everyone looks at me weird when they pick up my spinning reels.

Tried a lefty baitcaster once, just see if I could. No bueno.

It's the only way!
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
User avatar
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 58100
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:40 pm
Location: South Louisiana

Re: Bait caster

Postby bighop » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:28 am

Indaswamp wrote:
bighop wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:
grizz18 wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:
Glimmerjim wrote:
Papachessie wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:t_b, when shimano stopped making the original curado, everyone here switched to the Lew's. Very dependable reel.

Inda, now the Citica has the features of the old Curado. Just over 100.00.

http://www.amazon.com/Shimano-Citica-G- ... B0083GYHIY

I like lefty reels.

Me too. I learned it fly fishing and then could never go back. Why reel with the same hand you cast with?

I'm a lefty with a spinning rod n reel, but a righty with a baitcaster....


Bingo. And its feels awful trying it any other way.

:thumbsup: Besties...

You guys too!?!?!

Everyone looks at me weird when they pick up my spinning reels.

Tried a lefty baitcaster once, just see if I could. No bueno.

It's the only way!

Preachin' to the choir here, man!
Rick Hall 2016
He'll turn it all around. Unless he doesn't.
User avatar
bighop
Sugar Daddy
 
Posts: 7710
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Bait caster

Postby T-TOP » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:54 pm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote]
Can't say I've heard of them.

The popular jig heads around here right now are the Rockport Rattler and the Knotty Hooker.[/quote]


Hook is very sharp, wide gap and strong. For trout my hookups when way up. The rings around the hook shank make the plastic bait almost impossible for a fish to tear up or rip off. They are big seller here on Big Lake(Calcasieu Lake) in S.W. La.
Attachments
901979_379333518848397_1905299714_o.jpg
User avatar
T-TOP
hunter
 
Posts: 258
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:25 am
Location: S.W. Louisiana

Re: Bait caster

Postby bighop » Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:36 pm

T-TOP wrote:Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can't say I've heard of them.

The popular jig heads around here right now are the Rockport Rattler and the Knotty Hooker.[/quote]


Hook is very sharp, wide gap and strong. For trout my hookups when way up. The rings around the hook shank make the plastic bait almost impossible for a fish to tear up or rip off. They are big seller here on Big Lake(Calcasieu Lake) in S.W. La.[/quote]
Ah. Here's the knotty hooker, the offset 90deg eye makes the lure stand up on bottom and the holo eye adds some flash. Gama hooks, and yeah, they're proud of them too.
Image
The the RR, built in rattle, good hooks, with or without keepers. They stand up too. They have a weedless one, that I haven't used much. They really do catch more fish in my experience.
Image
Rick Hall 2016
He'll turn it all around. Unless he doesn't.
User avatar
bighop
Sugar Daddy
 
Posts: 7710
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Bait caster

Postby T-TOP » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:45 am

Big hop where you fishing in Texas?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
User avatar
T-TOP
hunter
 
Posts: 258
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:25 am
Location: S.W. Louisiana

PreviousNext

Return to The Honey Hole

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: beanz2166, Boatman, Griebler, widuckhunter1 and 47 guests