Useless music knowledge...

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, Preacher1011, lostpup, La. Hunter, steve-o, #1wingnut

Re: Useless music knowledge...

Postby Duck_Stank » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:05 am

MarkM wrote:Creedence Clearwater Revival never had a #1 hit song.

Dang, I would've never guessed that! I like many of their songs.
Master of Reality
Duck_Stank
hunter

Postby Duck_Stank » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:08 am

UofA_Hunter wrote:Waylon Jennings was Buddy Holly's bass player and at the last minute gave up his seat on the plane that killed Holly and other band mates.

That's an awesome one that will be brought up when I drink too much and play Waylon.
Master of Reality
Duck_Stank
hunter

Postby waterdogds » Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:46 am

Bob Marley's father was white. An English soldier named Norval "Captain" Marley.
"He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors." Thomas Jefferson
waterdogds
hunter

Postby MarkM » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:21 am

Duck_Stank wrote:
UofA_Hunter wrote:Waylon Jennings was Buddy Holly's bass player and at the last minute gave up his seat on the plane that killed Holly and other band mates.

That's an awesome one that will be brought up when I drink too much and play Waylon.

He gave his seat up to The Big Bopper because he said a bus ride would be to uncomfortable for a man his size.

The Day the Music Died (as said in the Don McLean song American Pie) is when The Big Bopper, Buddy Holly and Ritchie Valens all died in the plane crash.

Waylon felt guilt for years because of it.
possumfoot wrote:i cant remember who said it, but they said it best.. to a grown man, watching child birth is like a 9yo watching disney land burn to the ground..

Locked&Loaded wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:...metrosexual....

:lol3: I am!
MarkM
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:23 am

clampdaddy wrote:
Glimmerjim wrote:
sprigpig1 wrote:
Duck_Stank wrote:Bob Dylan also wrote all along the watchtower, but everyone (even Bob admitted it) likes Jimi's version more.

Yes.. He also wrote knocking on heavens door covered by GnR.
Hendrix also played in Little Richards band before his solo career took off.

He was also a paratrooper. The first love of Keith Richard's life, Linda Keith, was wowed by Hendrix and introduced the band to him. She also stole an early recording of "Hey Joe" by the Leaves, and a left handed Strat from Keith and gave them to Jimi. It turned into Jimi's first real hit. "Ruby Tuesday" was about Linda Keith.

Damn it, Jim! Quit trying to interject the Stones into a thread about music that people actually give a chit about! :lol3:

Here's one for you. The stones only have two good songs. Name them.

Satisfaction
Under my Thumb
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Postby Glimmerjim » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:53 pm

sprigpig1 wrote:
clampdaddy wrote:
Glimmerjim wrote:
clampdaddy wrote:
Glimmerjim wrote:
sprigpig1 wrote:
Duck_Stank wrote:Bob Dylan also wrote all along the watchtower, but everyone (even Bob admitted it) likes Jimi's version more.

He was also a paratrooper. The first love of Keith Richard's life, Linda Keith, was wowed by Hendrix and introduced the band to him. She also stole an early recording of "Hey Joe" by the Leaves, and a left handed Strat from Keith and gave them to Jimi. It turned into Jimi's first real hit. "Ruby Tuesday" was about Linda Keith.

Damn it, Jim! Quit trying to interject the Stones into a thread about music that people actually give a chit about! :lol3:

:lol3: Hard for me to do. I would guess most would think Brown Sugar and Jumping Jack Flash. But personally I would say Can't You Hear Me Knockin' and Time Waits For No One.

You are half right. The correct answer is Can't you hear me knockin' and Sympathy for the devil.

To many to list.. But my vote is for paint it black and sympathy for the devil

The 7 minute version of Can't You Hear Me Knockin' came about when everyone thought they had finished, but Mick Taylor felt like playing. They're setting their instruments down and Mick's jammin', so Keith says "F" it, let's keep it goin then, boys."
And cd. Did you ever see the "movie" "One Plus One" by Jean-Luc Goddard? It shows "Sympathy For the Devil" going from a ballad, to samba, to what it turned into in one day in the studio.
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby Glimmerjim » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:57 pm

aunt betty wrote:
clampdaddy wrote:
Glimmerjim wrote:
sprigpig1 wrote:

Satisfaction
Under my Thumb

Good picks, ab. Satisfaction is more relevant today than the day it was written. Keith intended the bass line to be played with horns, so he was never really "satisfied" or "Happy" with it.
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby Gunnysway » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:01 pm

Pink Floyd performed under various monikers in their early years, including Tea Set, Sigma 6, The Screaming Abdabs and Leonard's Lodgers (after their landlord Mike Leonard – unconnected with MusicRadar Editor of the same name).
Setting up meetings between geese and God since 1992...

Gud till ära, oss till gagn...
Gunnysway
hunter

Postby Gunnysway » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:02 pm

Prince played 27 different instruments on his debut album For You.

Gunnysway
hunter

Postby Glimmerjim » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:04 pm

Gunnysway wrote:Prince played 27 different instruments on his debut album For You.

Jeez....that's more than I could name! :lol3:
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby Gunnysway » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:10 pm

And for you GJ.

1. Keith Doesn’t Sleep
In his Life autobiography, Richards reckons that on average, he slept only two nights a week for many years of the Stones’ glory years. “This means that I have been conscious for at least three lifetimes,” he calculated. No sleep, and he can still do the math! A related aside: Keith claims he wrote the “Satisfaction” riff in his sleep.

2. Keith Got The Blues When 3
Keith says he got the music bug aged at just three years old. His favorites were Ella Fitzgerald, Sarah Vaughn, Big Bill Broonzy and Louis Armstrong. Richards was in awe after seeing the 1956 film, Low Light and Blue Smoke: Big Bill Blues, in which Broonzy performed the standard, blues-style. “It was a classic video before its time,” says Richards.
The Stones’ Ronnie Wood is also a Broonzy fan. In Q magazine interview (2007) Wood hails Broonzy’s "Guitar Shuffle." "It was one of the first tracks I learnt to play, but even to this day I can't play it exactly right."

3. Keith Was A Boy Scout
As a boy, Keith Richards was a Boy Scout. "It was mainly a chance to swagger around with a knife on your belt," he reckoned. Unfortunately for Keith, "you didn't get the knife until you got a few badges." Richards is known for his like of knives.

5. Keith Makes Acoustic Guitars Sound Evil
Richards is acclaimed for his electric guitar swagger. But wait! The original recordings of The Rolling Stones’ “Street Fighting Man” and “Jumpin' Jack Flash” don’t actually have any electric guitar on them. Instead, Richards created the sound by putting down successive layers of acoustic guitar filtered through a portable cassette tape player. He developed the technique when recording in small motels so he didn’t disturb the other guests. No doubt he was awake while everyone else slept.
So, how did he record “Jumpin’ Jack Flash”? He told Guitar World it was “a Gibson Hummingbird tuned to open D, six string [low to high: D A D F# A D]. Open D or open E [low to high: E B E G# B E], which is the same thing - same intervals - but it would be slackened down some for D. Then there was a capo on it, to get that really tight sound. And there was another guitar over the top of that, but tuned to Nashville tuning.“
In Nashville tuning – sometimes called “high-strung tuning” - the guitar is tuned E A D G B E, but the bottom four strings are replaced with thinner strings tuned one octave higher than normal. It sounds simple now.

6. Keith Used Epiphone Semis
In the early days of The Stones, Keith was often seen playing Epiphones. He told Guitar World, “I'm pretty sure that Epiphone was on "It's All Over Now" and probably some of the earlier ones from England. I used it for a good while, mainly because I had it. It was a nice guitar, because Epiphone was a branch of Gibson. It was a great guitar for studio work and in clubs.”

8. Keith Drinks “Nuclear Waste”
Richards is no stranger to alcohol, we know that. But he’s coined a name for his preferred tipple. According to the man himself, “Whiskey wasn’t agreeing with me anymore. The old body couldn’t take it. Brandy is a killer, and wine is best with food, so somehow I settled on this.” His recipe is 2 oz. premium vodka. 1 oz. Sunkist or any orange soda. “Plenty of ice. Lovely.” Keith calls it Nuclear Waste.

10. Keith’s Richards’ Guitar Strings are Sacred
Keith Richards’s open-G tuning (with no lower string) is the stuff of guitar folklore. For his 5-string songs, he will only play his Ernie Ball Keith Richards Special 5-string set. They are custom-made, as far as gauge goes and are not for sale to anyone else. For the record, they are not particularly unusual, but boast a big B. They are .011, .015, .018 (unwound), .030, 042.

Gunnysway
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:29 pm

Black Sabbath originally went by the name "Earth".
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:35 pm

Glimmerjim wrote: ......And cd. Did you ever see the "movie" "One Plus One" by Jean-Luc Goddard? It shows "Sympathy For the Devil" going from a ballad, to samba, to what it turned into in one day in the studio.

Never have, Jim. It'll probably be a few years until I can. My 2 1/2 year old has the run of the tv now. I've seen Dumbo four times since I got home from work. :lol3:
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby Duck_Stank » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:42 pm

clampdaddy wrote:Black Sabbath originally went by the name "Earth".

Yup, weren't they a Beatles wanna be type band then? I remember hearing they played the self titled black sabbath song for the first time and people loved it. Then they never looked back.
Master of Reality
Duck_Stank
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:18 pm

Duck_Stank wrote:
clampdaddy wrote:Black Sabbath originally went by the name "Earth".

Yup, weren't they a Beatles wanna be type band then? I remember hearing they played the self titled black sabbath song for the first time and people loved it. Then they never looked back.

Ozzy was a huge Beatles fan but I believe that Earth was more of a heavy blues band.

Geezer Butler got the new name for their band from a poster of the Boris Karlov movie "Black Sabbath".

"Fairies wear boots" was written after some of the guys in the band (can't remember who) got stomped pretty bad by a group of skinheads.

Tony Iomi regularly beat the crap out of Ozzy when they were in school.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby Glimmerjim » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:46 pm

Gunnysway wrote:And for you GJ.

1. Keith Doesn’t Sleep
In his Life autobiography, Richards reckons that on average, he slept only two nights a week for many years of the Stones’ glory years. “This means that I have been conscious for at least three lifetimes,” he calculated. No sleep, and he can still do the math! A related aside: Keith claims he wrote the “Satisfaction” riff in his sleep.

2. Keith Got The Blues When 3
Keith says he got the music bug aged at just three years old. His favorites were Ella Fitzgerald, Sarah Vaughn, Big Bill Broonzy and Louis Armstrong. Richards was in awe after seeing the 1956 film, Low Light and Blue Smoke: Big Bill Blues, in which Broonzy performed the standard, blues-style. “It was a classic video before its time,” says Richards.
The Stones’ Ronnie Wood is also a Broonzy fan. In Q magazine interview (2007) Wood hails Broonzy’s "Guitar Shuffle." "It was one of the first tracks I learnt to play, but even to this day I can't play it exactly right."

3. Keith Was A Boy Scout
As a boy, Keith Richards was a Boy Scout. "It was mainly a chance to swagger around with a knife on your belt," he reckoned. Unfortunately for Keith, "you didn't get the knife until you got a few badges." Richards is known for his like of knives.

5. Keith Makes Acoustic Guitars Sound Evil
Richards is acclaimed for his electric guitar swagger. But wait! The original recordings of The Rolling Stones’ “Street Fighting Man” and “Jumpin' Jack Flash” don’t actually have any electric guitar on them. Instead, Richards created the sound by putting down successive layers of acoustic guitar filtered through a portable cassette tape player. He developed the technique when recording in small motels so he didn’t disturb the other guests. No doubt he was awake while everyone else slept.
So, how did he record “Jumpin’ Jack Flash”? He told Guitar World it was “a Gibson Hummingbird tuned to open D, six string [low to high: D A D F# A D]. Open D or open E [low to high: E B E G# B E], which is the same thing - same intervals - but it would be slackened down some for D. Then there was a capo on it, to get that really tight sound. And there was another guitar over the top of that, but tuned to Nashville tuning.“
In Nashville tuning – sometimes called “high-strung tuning” - the guitar is tuned E A D G B E, but the bottom four strings are replaced with thinner strings tuned one octave higher than normal. It sounds simple now.

6. Keith Used Epiphone Semis
In the early days of The Stones, Keith was often seen playing Epiphones. He told Guitar World, “I'm pretty sure that Epiphone was on "It's All Over Now" and probably some of the earlier ones from England. I used it for a good while, mainly because I had it. It was a nice guitar, because Epiphone was a branch of Gibson. It was a great guitar for studio work and in clubs.”

8. Keith Drinks “Nuclear Waste”
Richards is no stranger to alcohol, we know that. But he’s coined a name for his preferred tipple. According to the man himself, “Whiskey wasn’t agreeing with me anymore. The old body couldn’t take it. Brandy is a killer, and wine is best with food, so somehow I settled on this.” His recipe is 2 oz. premium vodka. 1 oz. Sunkist or any orange soda. “Plenty of ice. Lovely.” Keith calls it Nuclear Waste.

10. Keith’s Richards’ Guitar Strings are Sacred
Keith Richards’s open-G tuning (with no lower string) is the stuff of guitar folklore. For his 5-string songs, he will only play his Ernie Ball Keith Richards Special 5-string set. They are custom-made, as far as gauge goes and are not for sale to anyone else. For the record, they are not particularly unusual, but boast a big B. They are .011, .015, .018 (unwound), .030, 042.

Thanks Gunny! :beer: It's hard to find things about Keef I am not familiar with, but you got me with #10. Regarding his sleep, he says he once went 9 days without it. Not that he was so wired, but in his words when he gets into music time just doesn't matter to him. He says it used to drive him mad that people had to go eat and sleep when they were working on something.
I've heard of his Sunkist favorite. Used to be cranberry juice and vodka. Legend has it that in the young days he would drink two fifths of Jack Daniels prior to and during a concert. He once had a photo shoot with Rolling Stone photog Annie Lebowitz. Everyone at RS warned her about keith.....be careful, you never know what might happen etc....well, according to Annie, he showed up and drank a fifth of whiskey and kept smoking these big spliffs while she was preparing for the shoot. She said just being around it nauseated her and she had to go puke. When she returned Keith was a little upset, saying "C'mon, let's get this thing goin'. I thought we were all professionals here." :lol3:
Also, in addition to being a Boy Scout, he was a quite accomplished choirboy whose choir sang for the Queen before his voice changed.
Regarding the knives, I have seen numerous photos of him with a knife in his belt. He likes gravity knives, but sometimes they look like straight razors. Probably got that from the old blues players.
All in all, he's a character. Gone from an impoversished upbringing, to an unabashed junkie number one on the list of rock guys slated to die, to a straight spoken rebel giving not a whit about anything but music, to the kindly grandfather of rock and roll.
A fascinating story of a person with incredible wealth and taste and simply a love of music. In 50 years he has missed two concerts due to health issues, other than his brain surgery, and played the El Macambo gig recorded on "Love You Live" the night of the day his child died in its crib from SIDS. And family is no small matter to Keith.
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby sprigpig1 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:31 pm

Mick and Keith were supposedly deeply influenced by the occult. An interest cultivated by avant- garde filmmaker Kenneth Anger. The band came up with the concept for "sympathy for the devil " album after reading Mikhail Bulgakov's classic "the master and margarita " , which is rife of satanic imagery.
"suppose you were an idiot; and suppose you were a member of congress, But I repeat myself".- Mark Twain

"Go to heaven for the climate , go to hell for the company".- Mark Twain
sprigpig1
Forum Moderator

Postby Glimmerjim » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:58 am

clampdaddy wrote:
Glimmerjim wrote: ......And cd. Did you ever see the "movie" "One Plus One" by Jean-Luc Goddard? It shows "Sympathy For the Devil" going from a ballad, to samba, to what it turned into in one day in the studio.

Never have, Jim. It'll probably be a few years until I can. My 2 1/2 year old has the run of the tv now. I've seen Dumbo four times since I got home from work. :lol3:

:lol3: That's way cooler than my recommendation, buddy. If you want to see a funny cartoon see "The Crudes". There are some riotous lines in it but kids love it too. My grandkids are just mesmerized by Caillou.
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby Glimmerjim » Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:09 am

sprigpig1 wrote:Mick and Keith were supposedly deeply influenced by the occult. An interest cultivated by avant- garde filmmaker Kenneth Anger. The band came up with the concept for "sympathy for the devil " album after reading Mikhail Bulgakov's classic "the master and margarita " , which is rife of satanic imagery.

The book I am familiar with, sprig, but I never heard of Kenneth Anger. Did he have anything to do with "Performance" that Mick and Anita Pallenberg did later? I'll look into it! :beer: Rumor. again, has it that in "Performance" Mick and Anita were to do a sex-scene. Anita was Keith's old lady at the time. Well, apparently, the sex scene didn't turn out quite as "simulated" as planned! :lol3:
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby KRB » Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:57 am

Charlie Daniels was banned from the county he grew up in, in NC for raising hell and trouble with law.
KRB
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:45 am

sprigpig1 wrote: Mikhail Bulgakov's classic "the master and margarita "

That is an amazing book. It's part of our HS reading list. Ever read it?
It's actually a satire on the state of the Soviet Union at that point in history...
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby Gunnysway » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:02 am

In April of 1964, The Beatles held the top 5 positions on the Billboard Charts. #1 - Can't Buy Me Love, #2 - Twist and Shout, #3 - She Loves You, #4 - I Want to Hold Your Hand, #5 - Please Please Me

Gunnysway
hunter

Postby Gunnysway » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:24 am

No other blues musician is more shrouded in mystery and intrigue than Robert Johnson. He was born in 1911 in Mississippi. When he first played the guitar for Son House and Willie Brown, they told him that he should stay with playing harmonica. He returned a short time later (1930) to play guitar for them again and surprised them by exhibiting skills that were greater than their own. It was then that the rumor began that Johnson had sold his soul to the Devil.

The movie Crossroads is (very) loosely based off of this myth.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crossroads_(1986_film)

Gunnysway
hunter

Postby sprigpig1 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:50 am

Slack Tide wrote:
sprigpig1 wrote: Mikhail Bulgakov's classic "the master and margarita "

That is an amazing book. It's part of our HS reading list. Ever read it?
It's actually a satire on the state of the Soviet Union at that point in history...

Yes I have thumbed through the book.
"suppose you were an idiot; and suppose you were a member of congress, But I repeat myself".- Mark Twain

sprigpig1
Forum Moderator

Postby sprigpig1 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:53 am

Gram Parsons body was stolen from LAX in route to be buried back in LA by his road manager Phil Kaufman to fulfill his wishes to be cremated at Joshua tree national park. There is a great flick based on this story called "grand theft parsons".

sprigpig1
Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to The Honey Hole