Useless music knowledge...

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, Preacher1011, steve-o, La. Hunter, lostpup, #1wingnut

Re: Useless music knowledge...

Postby KRB » Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:34 pm

Little Feat, alright maybe not the best name, but an incredible band. :thumbsup:
KRB
hunter

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:50 pm

Bill Herian wrote:Alright you dweebs.

What's the best band name ever?

And this is not a matter of opinion.

Bloodhound gang

Arctic monkeys

Five finger death punch

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
And a Desert Eagle that's one great big ol' pistol
I mean .50 caliber made by badazz Hebrews
OHIODUCKA5
hunter

Postby t_baker » Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:54 pm

OHIODUCKA5 wrote:

Bloodhound gang

Arctic monkeys

Five finger death punch

I'm gonna give you a five finger throat punch for mentioning 3 of the worst bands in history.
t_baker
hunter

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:23 pm

t_baker wrote:
OHIODUCKA5 wrote:

Bloodhound gang

Arctic monkeys

Five finger death punch

I'm gonna give you a five finger throat punch for mentioning 3 of the worst bands in history.

He asked for band names.what do you want
Beastie boys
Wu-tang
heavy d and the boys

OHIODUCKA5
hunter

Postby Bill Herian » Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:39 pm

The name you guys are looking for is Bachman-Turner Overdrive.

Best band name ever. They were going to do a survey do confirm it, but there was really no need.
Bill Herian
hunter

Postby nitram » Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:54 pm

jaysweet3 wrote:Buster Hymen and the First Timers.

Pretty Sweet although my vote goes to: S.T. Hineywipe & the Shiner Bock Saints
Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or f-ing beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.- Al Swearengen
nitram
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:09 am

Bachman Turner Overdrive...
Very cool name.
REO Speedwagon. Runner up.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
hunter

Useless music knowledge...

Postby jaysweet3 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:19 am

[quo te="nitram"]
jaysweet3 wrote:Buster Hymen and the First Timers.

Pretty Sweet although my vote goes to: S.T. Hineywipe & the Shiner Bock Saints[/quote] Another good one, is Edipus and the Mammas Boys.
The road to diabetes will be sweet.
jaysweet3
hunter

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:23 am

Big Sandy and the Fly rite trio is pretty cool
OHIODUCKA5
hunter

Postby Glimmerjim » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:04 am

sprigpig1 wrote:
Duck_Stank wrote:Bob Dylan also wrote all along the watchtower, but everyone (even Bob admitted it) likes Jimi's version more.

Yes.. He also wrote knocking on heavens door covered by GnR.
Hendrix also played in Little Richards band before his solo career took off.

He was also a paratrooper. The first love of Keith Richard's life, Linda Keith, was wowed by Hendrix and introduced the band to him. She also stole an early recording of "Hey Joe" by the Leaves, and a left handed Strat from Keith and gave them to Jimi. It turned into Jimi's first real hit. "Ruby Tuesday" was about Linda Keith.
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby MarkM » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:22 am

The Who actually lost money their first couple of tours. Can't remember exactly how many years they did, but it was from destruction of instruments on stage and destroying the hotel rooms to better fit into the rocker lifestyle.

Jimi Hendrix set his guitar on fire because Pete Townshend became upset upon hearing Jimi was going to destroy his guitar on stage, which was Pete's thing.
possumfoot wrote:i cant remember who said it, but they said it best.. to a grown man, watching child birth is like a 9yo watching disney land burn to the ground..

Locked&Loaded wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:...metrosexual....

:lol3: I am!
MarkM
hunter

Postby MarkM » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:25 am

AC/DC contemplated disbandment when lead singer Bon Scott died. After his parents told them to continue, because it is what Bon would've wanted, they found Brain Johnson and became the band everyone knows now.
possumfoot wrote:i cant remember who said it, but they said it best.. to a grown man, watching child birth is like a 9yo watching disney land burn to the ground..

Locked&Loaded wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:...metrosexual....

:lol3: I am!
MarkM
hunter

Postby Botiz630 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:31 am

In the year 2014, botiz630 was nearly bored to death by this thread.
B Squad Captain
If do right, no can defense
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby Glimmerjim » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:37 am

Botiz630 wrote:In the year 2014, botiz630 was nearly bored to death by this thread.

Nobody likes a quitter, botiz. If you're "nearly" there, I say go for it! :lol3:
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby troy_iv » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:27 pm

WisconsinWaterfowler wrote:Wait I've got one. Old Crow Medicine show didn't write Wagon Wheel. Don't remember who originally did but it's quite an old song.

Sent from my awesome Galaxy S4

Dylan wrote the chorus to Wagon Wheel and recorded it in an old demo. OCMS wrote the verses and finished the tune.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
troy_iv
hunter

Postby troy_iv » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:28 pm

Know the whistling section of "Dock of the Bay" by Otis Redding? It was actually only a placeholder until he finished the last verse. But he died before he finished the song, so they left it in there.

troy_iv
hunter

Postby sprigpig1 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:30 pm

troy_iv wrote:Know the whistling section of "Dock of the Bay" by Otis Redding? It was actually only a placeholder until he finished the last verse. But he died before he finished the song, so they left it in there.

Crazy ... I knew he died sometime shortly after recording it, but I didn't know that.
"suppose you were an idiot; and suppose you were a member of congress, But I repeat myself".- Mark Twain

"Go to heaven for the climate , go to hell for the company".- Mark Twain
sprigpig1
Forum Moderator

Postby sprigpig1 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:33 pm

Glimmerjim wrote:
Botiz630 wrote:In the year 2014, botiz630 was nearly bored to death by this thread.

Nobody likes a quitter, botiz. If you're "nearly" there, I say go for it! :lol3:

X2...

So bored you took the time to log in, read the thread and complain your bored. Everyone stop posting awesome music facts, this guy is bored. :fingerhead:

Maybe if we changed the content to boogers and comic books you would gain interest? :lol3:
"suppose you were an idiot; and suppose you were a member of congress, But I repeat myself".- Mark Twain

sprigpig1
Forum Moderator

Postby sprigpig1 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:34 pm

troy_iv wrote:
WisconsinWaterfowler wrote:Wait I've got one. Old Crow Medicine show didn't write Wagon Wheel. Don't remember who originally did but it's quite an old song.

Sent from my awesome Galaxy S4

Dylan wrote the chorus to Wagon Wheel and recorded it in an old demo. OCMS wrote the verses and finished the tune.

I thought Dylan had something to do with that song.

sprigpig1
Forum Moderator

Postby sprigpig1 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:35 pm

MarkM wrote:AC/DC contemplated disbandment when lead singer Bon Scott died. After his parents told them to continue, because it is what Bon would've wanted, they found Brain Johnson and became the band everyone knows now.

Good thing that didn't happen.

sprigpig1
Forum Moderator

Postby Glimmerjim » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:05 pm

sprigpig1 wrote:
Glimmerjim wrote:

X2...

So bored you took the time to log in, read the thread and complain your bored. Everyone stop posting awesome music facts, this guy is bored. :fingerhead:

Maybe if we changed the content to boogers and comic books you would gain interest? :lol3:

:lol3: I just don't understand that response either, sprig. If you are bored with something, my wisdom gained through years of studying my navel on a mountaintop says don't participate in it anymore. I could say the same about 95% of the posts here, but I don't. Why? Because it's just rude. If people are enjoying a conversation, it is impugning no one, and have similar interests in a particular subject, I don't have to comment on their conversation. Really.. I don't. I can move on to a conversation that I find interesting. I love interesting music trivia, and know some interesting things. I just really didn't want to dominate the conversation with my comments, because, for one reason, most of mine regard the Rolling Stones and I know that I can bore people to tears with that subject! :lol3: Tracing the bands that some guys have gone through and the connections between them can be interesting too....follow the paths of Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young....Eric Clapton....Delaney and Bonnie...Gram Parsons....Jeff Beck....Ronnie Woods....Waddy Wachtel....Gregg Allman....Chuck Berry...Robbie Robertson...Johnny Johnson and Robert Johnson....and the songwriting of Bob Dylan and it's influence on everyone. If you really like music I just don't understand how you can be bored with the history of it....where certain sounds came from....the difference between Nashville and Bakersfield country....from whom someone learned a particular style of playing, who their influences were. It's just cool to listen and attempt to discern where they got their inspiration and their style. Keith Richards considered Chuck Berry as the man, and you can hear it when he plays. He learned country from Gram Parsons, who really was a genius that started the whole country rock thing but died too young, and open tuning guitar from Ry Cooder. He, Keith, wants his epitaph to read simply..."He passed it on"
Sure...it may not be everyone's cup of tea....but you don't have to drink it. :thumbsup:
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby Glimmerjim » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:23 pm

sprigpig1 wrote:Even though I think he sucks.. Rod Stewart was a grave digger before he made it in music.
Kinda morbid.

Rod was a good frontman when he was with Faces. He got kinda like Jagger....felt HE was the real thing and he didn't need the band. He's still trying to get back together with Ronnie Woods! Pamela de Barres, an unabashed groupie that did EVERYONE that ever played a note, said the Stones were choirboys compared to Faces! :lol3:
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby sprigpig1 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:51 pm

Amen.. Glimmerjim. Like you said it's not for everyone, but for the people who get it.. Music and knowing a bit about the artists can be very interesting. My step dad was the first guy to take me duck hunting and the first guy to show me led zeppelin and I am forever greatful to him for that. :thumbsup: you bring up artists that have been in other bands with other famous guys and that had always intrigued me. Jeff beck.. Awesome guitar player whom I'm sure you know played in the yardbirds with jimmy page and Clapton and look at the impact they all had on R&R. Look at Steve winwood who in my opinion did some great stuff with traffic.
Country singer Vince Gill who was in Pure prairie league. I could go on and on... Good stuff :beer:

sprigpig1
Forum Moderator

Postby Glimmerjim » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:48 am

sprigpig1 wrote:Amen.. Glimmerjim. Like you said it's not for everyone, but for the people who get it.. Music and knowing a bit about the artists can be very interesting. My step dad was the first guy to take me duck hunting and the first guy to show me led zeppelin and I am forever greatful to him for that. :thumbsup: you bring up artists that have been in other bands with other famous guys and that had always intrigued me. Jeff beck.. Awesome guitar player whom I'm sure you know played in the yardbirds with jimmy page and Clapton and look at the impact they all had on R&R. Look at Steve winwood who in my opinion did some great stuff with traffic.
Country singer Vince Gill who was in Pure prairie league. I could go on and on... Good stuff :beer:

Yeah buddy! Jeff Beck is in a world by himself. Just watched a show where he played Ronnie Scott's in Soho. Un-freakin'-believable. It's a small place, basically a bar with a small stage. I went to New York at the end of last year to watch 2 nights of Ronnie Woods and Mick Taylor with my son in a similar place. Too cool and Ronnie is a WAY better guitar player than you get from watching the Stones. Course he's under Keith's thumb in the Stones, and that's a pretty heavy thumb! Mick Taylor is beautifully talented, and dismally uncharismatic. Yardbirds...wow...Jeff Beck...Jimmy Page....and Slowhand. You just can not put more guitar talent on a stage. Pure Prairie League...a definite product of Gram Parsons and the Flying Burrito Brothers influence. "Amie" was always one of my favorite songs. Traffic, and Blind Faith....man....it just doesn't get any better than that. Stevie Winwood was a prodigy. And then back his vocals with the likes of Dave Mason, Eric Clapton and crystal meth Ginger Baker and you take music places it ain't ventured before.
God I love music. It's my religion. Or my drug of choice. Would have given anything for a gift for it. But I've been trying to play a competent blues harp for more years than I want to think of.....and I still sound like a marginally skillful 10 year old that should probably try the tambourine! :lol3:
I didn't know about Vince Gill's past, but it's kinda funny in that he was one of the very few country crooners that I liked. Some of his stuff goes straight to the heart. Melissa Etheridge and Bonnie Raitt are the same for me. Bonnie Raitt's "You" just mesmerizes me.
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby Gunnysway » Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:24 am

Joe Bonamassa (one of the VERY ignored, and GREAT Ax men of our generation), began playing gigs in upstate New York at the age of ten, when he was discovered by the blues great B.B. King. Recognizing the young guitarist's talents, King said "this kid's potential is unbelievable. He hasn't even begun to scratch the surface. He's one of a kind." By the age of 12, Bonamassa was touring with the likes of King, Buddy Guy, George Thorogood, and Robert Cray, among others. King was so impressed that he asked Bonamassa to open the shows of his 80th birthday celebration tour in 2005.

Bonamassa also was brought under the wing of another GREAT (and some would argue THE BEST) guitar virtuoso, by the name of Danny Gatton.

Bonamassa at age 12...

Joe was able to play on stage with one of his heroes, Eric Clapton, at Royal Albert Hall in 2009, and you can see it in his face when Clapton walks on stage... Classic tune done by two greats...

Last edited by Gunnysway on Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Setting up meetings between geese and God since 1992...

Gud till ära, oss till gagn...
Gunnysway
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to The Honey Hole