Questions about Waterfowl Photography?

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, lostpup, #1wingnut, steve-o, Preacher1011, La. Hunter

Re: Questions about Waterfowl Photography?

Postby HNTFSH » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:36 am

wanapasaki wrote:Like you said Rick, most don't get past the testing stage. I have no idea how serious I want to take it, but I do have fun trekking around during the off season and getting some cool pictures. I usual end up getting some real cool pics, and always wished I were using a real camera to catch it. Thanks for the advice, I will have to look into the Nikon. there is a lot of info on here I have to sift through. I appreciate all the insight you guys have shared!

I've seen the context many times and the resulting slug fest on equipment.

It's common sense. If one desires to take a camera afield and get doggie or nature shots so as to enjoy the experience later then a Point-n-Shoot is all they need. The quality will be fine as images on a computer to share or even printed to 8x10 in some cases. Far from perfect in a photog's eye in terms of image quality but fine for a recreation user.

But many posts state "I want to get into photography and get really cool pics". Well...that needs a better definition. If one is seeking to become a photographer and embrace it as an artful hobby - the price goes up. If one wants to photograph 12 months a year (not just on hunting trips) then that opens man more opportunities to learn and develop excellent artwork.

I would never suggest a guy spend the money on camera and glass to get basic photos. Nor would I recommend buying basic equipment if wanting to do serious photography.

What I definitely would never do is suggest either is stupid or a waste of money.
No such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby KillerKowalski » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:09 pm

Everyone believes the top of the line equipment will deliver the best picture possible. Most do not understand composition and the factors involved into a proper picture.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:46 pm

KillerKowalski wrote:Everyone believes the top of the line equipment will deliver the best picture possible. Most do not understand composition and the factors involved into a proper picture.

No question. What does a good edit package cost these days? I haven't bought one in a few.

But equipment does count. For the SERIOUS (not PRO) the biggest money loss is for that mid tier guy that hits the wall once they are a decent 'indian' shooting crooked arrows.

This shot while I like it (cause it's my dog) (remember content) was taken outdoors with one of the Kit Lenses. I've found people who work at photography like to display their work. Glossy prints are cheap even in larger sizes and foam boards are nice to save a frame cost. If you know a good photographer (not PRO) and they have not framed and gifted you with something....hint: they don't like you very much.

So while this presents well in slightly larger than 8x10, MAYBE 11x14...after that it hits the wall.

]Image[/URL]

The Silver Pigeon also an outdoor shot was taken with a Canon L series lense. It's not too hard to notice the clarity. And by nature of the glass used produces a much more flexible print in terms of size and style.

Same camera.

Image[/URL]

The Beretta hangs on the wall in the man cave.

The wife shoots all these - I just encourage those who feel photography might become a good hobby to evaluate their options both short and long term. Yes - it costs more, yes, they are heavier, yes, it's more work.

What successful venture ain't?

Fact is a pro or great eye might pick both apart. In this world there is ALWAYS someone better at stuff than you. A fact some folks can't seem to accept. :lol3:
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Questions about Waterfowl Photography?

Postby KillerKowalski » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:56 pm

We don't edit on assignment, but only what we shoot if we have to. Usually white balances since we can't control kelvins in large places. We shoot weddings, baptisms, communions, new born pictures and holiday functions. I only do when I have free time, but it is a family business.

That Beretta picture is smokin'! That could be licensed out without a doubt!!
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:53 pm

KillerKowalski wrote:We don't edit on assignment, but only what we shoot if we have to. Usually white balances since we can't control kelvins in large places. We shoot weddings, baptisms, communions, new born pictures and holiday functions. I only do when I have free time, but it is a family business.

That Beretta picture is smokin'! That could be licensed out without a doubt!!

UGH!! Weddings!! :lol3: Whole different skill set, extra equipment and patience!

Thanks on the Beretta. You'll appreciate that Silver Pigeon is propped on a stump, quickly placed after a couple of poppers shot and me gently blowing into the business end of the barrel to get the smoke right. :lol3:
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby Bigpuddin43 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:11 pm

Some photos I have taken. I don't think they are anywhere near professional quality but not bad for a hobbyist just starting out.
Bigpuddin43
hunter

Postby Bigpuddin43 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:14 pm

Bigpuddin43
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:04 pm

Not bad at all! The second set first one is composed the best! Pretty Lab.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby Bigpuddin43 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:27 pm

Thank you. I am on the fence as I can find something I don't like about every one of them. I had the group of mallards on the water pruned and framed for the office at work and most everyone says it looks like a professional photograph but I'm still critical. Maybe overly critical but still haven't gotten anything I'm really proud of. The black and white of my lab I had printed on canvas as I was pretty happy how it turned out but wish I hadn't had it done before I got better with Lightroom and could have removed some of the dirt on him to clean it up a bit but still a good pic I thought.
Bigpuddin43
hunter

Postby REM1100 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:59 pm

I've gone the film route then super compact then entry level DSLR then intermediate and went back to the super compact as I had hit a wall because a f2.8 lens is beyond my budget and there are other aspects to photography such as super wide angle when I worked as a Realtor filming the inside of a house. Like Rick mentioned lugging a big camera bag and heavy lens on a hunting trip is a real pain whereas I will be using a super compact H10 to get the snapshot for memories sake as I am getting real old.
the super compact gets the job done as the real oldies.
If you want clear crisp pictures, then you have to take a deep investment costing thousands of dollars

Taken with a Nikon 995 the best in its day

My trusty Sony H7

My old film Maxxum 5000i

Canon Sureshot
on the X in Saskatchewan
REM1100
Provincial Moderator

Postby hamernhonkers » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:17 am

Here are about the two best examples I have with out digging around of what good glass can do no matter the body. They are both shot with a 100-400L with the first with the 6d and the second with a 450d (rebel body). Both were in harsh light so the ISO was keep down to 100 and the second photo is hosted by photobucket so its not as crisp as it was degraded a bit when compressed during uploading.

And this I think shows just how bad photo bucket degrades photos. The first is photo bucket and the second is hosted on flicker. They are the exact same shot with nothing changed other then hosting site.

Hello

David wrote:
I have suspended the suspension on the suspended, allowing the suspended to post in a non-suspending manner.
hamernhonkers
hunter

Previous

Return to The Honey Hole