6 MONTHS TILL TEAL SEASON 2014!!!

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, La. Hunter, steve-o, #1wingnut, lostpup, Preacher1011

6 MONTHS TILL TEAL SEASON 2014!!!

Postby Indaswamp » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:00 pm

Another month down....cheer up DComeaux, it's not that far away!! :biggrin:
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
User avatar
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 58132
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:40 pm
Location: South Louisiana


Re: 6 MONTHS TILL TEAL SEASON 2014!!!

Postby Indaswamp » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:09 pm

lookin forward to these!!!
Image
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
User avatar
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 58132
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:40 pm
Location: South Louisiana

Re: 6 MONTHS TILL TEAL SEASON 2014!!!

Postby t_baker » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:15 pm

Indaswamp wrote:lookin forward to these!!!
Image

Those made my mouth water.
User avatar
t_baker
hunter
 
Posts: 8234
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:20 pm
Location: Harrod Ohio

Re: 6 MONTHS TILL TEAL SEASON 2014!!!

Postby D Comeaux » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:15 pm



FIFY DC...
User avatar
D Comeaux
hunter
 
Posts: 2665
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:48 pm
Location: South Louisiana

Re: 6 MONTHS TILL TEAL SEASON 2014!!!

Postby Indaswamp » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:19 pm

Hey DComeaux...
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
User avatar
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 58132
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:40 pm
Location: South Louisiana

Re: 6 MONTHS TILL TEAL SEASON 2014!!!

Postby Indaswamp » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:19 pm

t_baker wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:lookin forward to these!!!
Image

Those made my mouth water.

good stuff Brah....
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
User avatar
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 58132
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:40 pm
Location: South Louisiana

Re: 6 MONTHS TILL TEAL SEASON 2014!!!

Postby D Comeaux » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:20 pm

Indaswamp wrote:Hey DComeaux...



:lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:
User avatar
D Comeaux
hunter
 
Posts: 2665
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:48 pm
Location: South Louisiana

Re: 6 MONTHS TILL TEAL SEASON 2014!!!

Postby Indaswamp » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:20 pm

:biggrin:
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
User avatar
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 58132
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:40 pm
Location: South Louisiana

Re: 6 MONTHS TILL TEAL SEASON 2014!!!

Postby Indaswamp » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:32 pm

Word is that Bayou Rum is in the process of making a Satsuma flavored Rum Liquor...Man I can't wait to get some of that to make Sauces with!!!
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
User avatar
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 58132
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:40 pm
Location: South Louisiana

Re: 6 MONTHS TILL TEAL SEASON 2014!!!

Postby Indaswamp » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:33 pm

anyone know when BW teal are suppose to start nesting normally?
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
User avatar
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 58132
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:40 pm
Location: South Louisiana

Re: 6 MONTHS TILL TEAL SEASON 2014!!!

Postby D Comeaux » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:40 pm

Indaswamp wrote:Word is that Bayou Rum is in the process of making a Satsuma flavored Rum Liquor...Man I can't wait to get some of that to make Sauces with!!!


Passed by their place last week. I'm going to stop in one day when I have the time.
User avatar
D Comeaux
hunter
 
Posts: 2665
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:48 pm
Location: South Louisiana

Re: 6 MONTHS TILL TEAL SEASON 2014!!!

Postby Indaswamp » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:42 pm

D Comeaux wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:Word is that Bayou Rum is in the process of making a Satsuma flavored Rum Liquor...Man I can't wait to get some of that to make Sauces with!!!


Passed by their place last week. I'm going to stop in one day when I have the time.

finest stills in the US. All Copper and Stainless steel.
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
User avatar
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 58132
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:40 pm
Location: South Louisiana

Re: 6 MONTHS TILL TEAL SEASON 2014!!!

Postby t_baker » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:47 pm

Indaswamp wrote:anyone know when BW teal are suppose to start nesting normally?

I don't, but did see a bunch of Canada's building nests today.
User avatar
t_baker
hunter
 
Posts: 8234
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:20 pm
Location: Harrod Ohio

Re: 6 MONTHS TILL TEAL SEASON 2014!!!

Postby D Comeaux » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:48 pm

Indaswamp wrote:anyone know when BW teal are suppose to start nesting normally?



SEASONAL OCCURRENCE: In the northern prairies peak nest initiation occurs during the last week of May (Dane 1966, Strohmeyer 1967), with 24 April being the earliest reported nest initiation (Strohmeyer 1967). Though data from more southerly breeding areas are scant, they suggest Blue-winged Teal breeding in the south initiate nesting earlier. Oberholser (1974) reports flightless broods in Texas as early as 19 April; depending on the age of the brood, this indicates nest initiation during the second week of March or earlier. Breeding records from coastal Louisiana indicate that nests are initiated during the second week of April (W. P. Johnson, unpubl. data).
User avatar
D Comeaux
hunter
 
Posts: 2665
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:48 pm
Location: South Louisiana

Re: 6 MONTHS TILL TEAL SEASON 2014!!!

Postby Indaswamp » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:52 pm

D Comeaux wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:anyone know when BW teal are suppose to start nesting normally?



SEASONAL OCCURRENCE: In the northern prairies peak nest initiation occurs during the last week of May (Dane 1966, Strohmeyer 1967), with 24 April being the earliest reported nest initiation (Strohmeyer 1967). Though data from more southerly breeding areas are scant, they suggest Blue-winged Teal breeding in the south initiate nesting earlier. Oberholser (1974) reports flightless broods in Texas as early as 19 April; depending on the age of the brood, this indicates nest initiation during the second week of March or earlier. Breeding records from coastal Louisiana indicate that nests are initiated during the second week of April (W. P. Johnson, unpubl. data).

so all snow needs to be gone in two weeks right....
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
User avatar
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 58132
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:40 pm
Location: South Louisiana

Re: 6 MONTHS TILL TEAL SEASON 2014!!!

Postby D Comeaux » Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:00 pm

Indaswamp wrote:
D Comeaux wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:anyone know when BW teal are suppose to start nesting normally?



SEASONAL OCCURRENCE: In the northern prairies peak nest initiation occurs during the last week of May (Dane 1966, Strohmeyer 1967), with 24 April being the earliest reported nest initiation (Strohmeyer 1967). Though data from more southerly breeding areas are scant, they suggest Blue-winged Teal breeding in the south initiate nesting earlier. Oberholser (1974) reports flightless broods in Texas as early as 19 April; depending on the age of the brood, this indicates nest initiation during the second week of March or earlier. Breeding records from coastal Louisiana indicate that nests are initiated during the second week of April (W. P. Johnson, unpubl. data).

so all snow needs to be gone in two weeks right....


I think so. All I've read points to this. Most BW nesting further south than the traditional areas are far south by September.

This was interesting.
Adult drakes depart the breeding grounds well before adult hens and immatures. Most Blue-winged Teal flocks seen after mid-September are composed largely of adult hens and immatures.
User avatar
D Comeaux
hunter
 
Posts: 2665
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:48 pm
Location: South Louisiana

Re: 6 MONTHS TILL TEAL SEASON 2014!!!

Postby Indaswamp » Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:02 pm

D Comeaux wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:
D Comeaux wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:anyone know when BW teal are suppose to start nesting normally?



SEASONAL OCCURRENCE: In the northern prairies peak nest initiation occurs during the last week of May (Dane 1966, Strohmeyer 1967), with 24 April being the earliest reported nest initiation (Strohmeyer 1967). Though data from more southerly breeding areas are scant, they suggest Blue-winged Teal breeding in the south initiate nesting earlier. Oberholser (1974) reports flightless broods in Texas as early as 19 April; depending on the age of the brood, this indicates nest initiation during the second week of March or earlier. Breeding records from coastal Louisiana indicate that nests are initiated during the second week of April (W. P. Johnson, unpubl. data).

so all snow needs to be gone in two weeks right....


I think so. All I've read points to this. Most BW nesting further south then the traditional areas are far south by September.

This was interesting.
Adult drakes depart the breeding grounds well before adult hens and immatures. Most Blue-winged Teal flocks seen after mid-September are composed largely of adult hens and immatures.

interesting...that must be the small flocks we see 9~15 birds....
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
User avatar
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 58132
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:40 pm
Location: South Louisiana

Re: 6 MONTHS TILL TEAL SEASON 2014!!!

Postby KRB » Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:33 am

Very exited NY is talking about it's first early Teal season. Usually they are long gone by the time our season opens.
KRB
hunter
 
Posts: 2207
Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:12 pm
Location: South Shore LI

Re: 6 MONTHS TILL TEAL SEASON 2014!!!

Postby beretta24 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:58 am

Snow is almost gone in central MN, but we still have lots of ice. There was still a good chuck of ice through the weekend of April 26th last year though too.
User avatar
beretta24
State Moderator
 
Posts: 6302
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:54 pm
Location: MN

Re: 6 MONTHS TILL TEAL SEASON 2014!!!

Postby Rick Hall » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:18 am

I don't know when bluewings normally nest, but I know the fellow who has Bayou Rum also has a sweet piece of marsh in prime bluewing territory that we pick eggs on. Super nice fellow who's done a lot quickly in life.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
User avatar
Rick Hall
hunter
 
Posts: 13810
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:03 pm

Re: 6 MONTHS TILL TEAL SEASON 2014!!!

Postby Rick Hall » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:03 pm

Spent much of the morning in a number of places where teal were still thick near the end of April last year, and did not see a one. Hoping it means they went north on schedule this year and will be back on time come September.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
User avatar
Rick Hall
hunter
 
Posts: 13810
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:03 pm

Re: 6 MONTHS TILL TEAL SEASON 2014!!!

Postby :-) » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:45 pm

They didn't get the memo in S Texas. In September I could count the number of Teal on one hand, and as of yesterday we are covered up with 1,000's of Teal & Gadwall. What really surprised me was the huge number of snow geese in the field by my house this past Saturday.

I can only assume that with the abnormally cold winter the ducks pushed further south...I'm down near Corpus Christi, and it even froze here a few times.




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
User avatar
:-)
hunter
 
Posts: 829
Joined: Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:57 pm
Location: Texas Coast

Re: 6 MONTHS TILL TEAL SEASON 2014!!!

Postby Rick Hall » Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:40 pm

Maybe what was here went south and the Grinch is stealing teal season again.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
User avatar
Rick Hall
hunter
 
Posts: 13810
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:03 pm

Re: 6 MONTHS TILL TEAL SEASON 2014!!!

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:14 am

Rick Hall wrote:Maybe what was here went south and the Grinch is stealing teal season again.


Some made it to Killbuck Rick at least the GW's did.
I hope someday someone remembers this old dog with kindness and gives me to a puppy.

-Gene Hill

fadetoblack188 wrote:forget i asked.. mods please delete.. the scum bags on this site are overwhelming.
User avatar
OHIODUCKA5
hunter
 
Posts: 13940
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:46 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: 6 MONTHS TILL TEAL SEASON 2014!!!

Postby Rick Hall » Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:23 am

I used to September teal hunt some at Killbuck. Not with the pass-blasting road crew, which probably remains the sorriest example of "waterfowling" I've seen to date, but as far back into the misery as we had the ass to push my canoe. Even there one morning a doyo took a skybusting stand near enough to screw us up blasting at crazy stuff. Went to meet him over that - and got our licenses checked by an "undercover" GW. Guy I was with also worked for the DNR, and there ended up being a big old stink over it.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
User avatar
Rick Hall
hunter
 
Posts: 13810
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:03 pm

Next

Return to The Honey Hole

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: charlie beard and 43 guests