Ralph Kohler

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, La. Hunter, steve-o, #1wingnut, lostpup, Preacher1011

Ralph Kohler

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:05 am

http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/fie ... ide-retire

The end of this year’s spring snow goose season also marks the end of Ralph Kohler’s career as a Missouri River waterfowl guide. At 96, the Tekamah, Neb., guide is a living legend among Midwestern waterfowlers. Kohler began guiding hunters near Omaha when he was 16 years old, often hunting every day of Nebraska’s duck and goose seasons. He is retiring to move to California to be closer to his family.

Kohler spent more than 45,000 hours in a blind and kept records of every hunt he made over the years. He is credited with making the first full-body goose decoy, the now-collectible K and W, which he made out of paper mache in his garage. Kohler and Dorothy, his wife of 79 years, were the only husband and wife to earn All American honors in trapshooting. They also competed successfully in ballroom dance competition throughout the country.

Kohler’s decoys, including 20 signed K and W geese, will be auctioned in Tekamah on April 6. Kohler will not be attending the auction, omaho.com reports.

“I couldn’t stand to see it go,” he said.
I hope someday someone remembers this old dog with kindness and gives me to a puppy.

-Gene Hill

fadetoblack188 wrote:forget i asked.. mods please delete.. the scum bags on this site are overwhelming.
OHIODUCKA5
hunter

Re: Ralph Kohler

Postby Omaha Clucker » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:50 am

I've heard mixed reviews about the hunting up there during the fall but we followed his blog daily for migration reports. I thought about driving up for the auction but figured it would be a zoo
Omaha Clucker
hunter

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:54 am

Omaha Clucker wrote:I've heard mixed reviews about the hunting up there during the fall but we followed his blog daily for migration reports. I thought about driving up for the auction but figured it would be a zoo

The auction would be worth the drive if he was going to be there. I'd like to pick his brain.
I hope someday someone remembers this old dog with kindness and gives me to a puppy.

-Gene Hill

fadetoblack188 wrote:forget i asked.. mods please delete.. the scum bags on this site are overwhelming.
OHIODUCKA5
hunter

Postby Omaha Clucker » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:05 am

That's true. They had a post on the blog in 2012 I think that they took all his daily logs and fed them into excel looking for patterns. He had recorded the times when they saw birds, whether they shot or not, for all those years. So they posted the 5 most common times, without looking it up all I can remember is 10:08 and 12:23 or 33. After we started paying attention damned if we weren't seeing birds between 10:00-10:15 more often than not.
Omaha Clucker
hunter

Return to The Honey Hole