What say you?

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, La. Hunter, steve-o, #1wingnut, lostpup, Preacher1011

What say you?

Postby go get the bird » Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:18 pm

I've run into a major fork in the road.
On top of my full time schooling, I hold down a full time office job.

My wife recently accepted a position that requires us to move to a VERY rural area of S. Dakota. In doing so, I will not only leave the company I am with, but I will have to travel (roughly 60 miles per day) in order to finish my schooling- not that big of a deal. I had planned on working part time while I hit the books as hard as possible, in an attempt finish school in the shortest amount of time.

I was offered an interview with my current company for a traveling position. The interview is in two weeks in Tennessee. The job would demand an incredible amount of time, and I would likely be on the road 5/7 days of the week.The position is brand new, and will require a crash course in multiple areas like MHSA, OSHA and FMCS regulations. It would also increase the years in which I will be in school, something I am vehemently against. I will likely only be able to attend school part time, most likely taking online courses during the evenings.

By agreeing to the interview, I would be stating that I am interested in the position, that I have the intention of taking the position if offered, and that I am "ok" with pushing my schooling and personal goals to the back burner.

By not taking the interview, I am turing my back on the company I've been with for the past 5 years, but I am assuring that I will have the time to devote to my education.

So, would you take the interview or not? :huh:
MackieKnife wrote:The moral of the story is...I'm retarded.
go get the bird
hunter

Re: What say you?

Postby OGblackcloud » Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:22 pm

Not ! Its about you not them
OGblackcloud
hunter

Postby Botiz630 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:27 pm

So your wife is for sure taking her new job?

If that part of the deal is already off the table, and you're definitely moving to a very rural part of South Dakota, you'll have to decide whether or not you can handle the travel and the time away from family that comes with that. Consider the boost from your wife's new salary against the loss of yours if you decide you can't do the travel and aren't able to find a comparable job in the middle of nowhere. From there, figure out the time you've got left in school and whether or not you'll be able to use your degree to find work in your new location.

Good luck, hope it all works out for you.
I need about tree fiddy.
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby cluckmeister » Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:30 pm

Ah stress the culprit of todays working world. From my view point, its not your decision, its yours and your wifes. The two of you need to sit down, with some paper and pencil and write down all the pros and cons. Weigh each one and its impact on your family. Remember the grass isn't always greener on the other side of the fence, history shows if a person strays away from a set planned course of their education, its harder to accomplish the end goal. Whats the chances that you will even stay with the company youre employed by now after you graduate. Lots of things to look at young man, good luck in what ever you and the wife decide
If you're there for the limit, you're there for the wrong reason
cluckmeister
State Moderator

Postby Huntfish12 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:25 pm

If your not interested in the up comming position, I dont think it would be a deal breaker between you and your employer. Granted 5 years is not super long in terms of carear time but it does show that you have some type of devotion so far. I suggest having a sit down with powers higher then you and discussing with them that you are interested in advancement in the company, but a this current time, theres too much on your plate to make that kind of commitment. I would respect a person more for being upfront and honest about thier situation and not wasting time and money looking for the right candidate.
Theres always someone out there thats better then you. I'm that guy.
Huntfish12
hunter

What say you?

Postby Willie » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:26 pm

I can tell you from experience that being on the road 5-7 days sucks big big time.
Edit...assume you mean overnight and not just day trips.
Willie
hunter

Postby go get the bird » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:39 pm

Willie wrote:I can tell you from experience that being on the road 5-7 days sucks big big time.
Edit...assume you mean overnight and not just day trips.

It would have likely been overnights, yes.

I decided to step away from it, the cards just weren't right this hand. Maybe next time.
MackieKnife wrote:The moral of the story is...I'm retarded.
go get the bird
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:40 pm

I think you made a wise decision
If you're there for the limit, you're there for the wrong reason
cluckmeister
State Moderator

Postby Willie » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:41 pm

I agree with cluck
Willie
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:56 pm

In this economy walking away from a job with a company that is working to accomodate you is not always a wise decision.

I hope it all works out for you. Getting your education completed is a very important step.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Return to The Honey Hole