Do any of you carry (pistol or otherwise) while hunting?

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, steve-o, Preacher1011, lostpup, La. Hunter, #1wingnut

Re: Do any of you carry (pistol or otherwise) while hunting?

Postby REM1100 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:33 pm

In Canada we are not allowed to carry pistol even though we encounter bears, coyotes racoons badgers and aszzwholes.
on the X in Saskatchewan
REM1100
Provincial Moderator

Postby Dep6 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:53 am

1100, but I would keep some buckshot or slugs in my pocket in case of an encounter.

BTW, when did the Racoons up there get as big or bigger than a dog? Last time I was up there I missed my chance at shooting one because I was like, that ain't no Coon, but by golly it was and at least 100 pounds.
Saving the Poodles of America, one Alligator at a time!!
Dep6
Site Admin

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:55 am

Dep6 wrote:1100, but I would keep some buckshot or slugs in my pocket in case of an encounter.

BTW, when did the Racoons up there get as big or bigger than a dog? Last time I was up there I missed my chance at shooting one because I was like, that ain't no Coon, but by golly it was and at least 100 pounds.

That was a small bear buddy. :no:
Lonely wives, dirty trucks , and happy dogs.
OHIODUCKA5
hunter

Postby Dep6 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:09 am

Coulda been for sure at that, but it did have the striping on it's face like a Coon.
Saving the Poodles of America, one Alligator at a time!!
Dep6
Site Admin

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:10 am

Dep6 wrote:Coulda been for sure at that, but it did have the striping on it's face like a Coon.

Chupacabra :yes:
OHIODUCKA5
hunter

Postby clymerfowler » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:59 am

we had son wahoo shoot at our goose spread with a .22 from his truck on the road while we were standing in it. that was a little scary. we have been rained on, spread shot into as a flock went in between us and another group, truck keyed, blind trashed, and a propane tank stolen out of one of my private swamp blinds.
Pigeons-231
Geese- 206
Ducks-37
clymerfowler
hunter

Postby 18javelin » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:12 am

I carry my Pistol almost every time I hunt anything.
Underradar wrote:Well, its sad really. One day he's happily posting pics of road killed coyotes he posed as if he shot them, the next, he's stomped down the shower drain like a soft turd.
18javelin
hunter

Postby toolmaker » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:33 am

I would have thought that it would be illegal to carry a handgun while waterfowlhunting...because the ammo doesn't fit NON toxic requirements, not does the caliber...ie, the firearm calibers are spelled out in the fed regs....

but since there are so many replies and no one has mentioned this, is there a clause allowing the carry of handguns that I am not aware of?

the tool
favorite quote: We constantly dont do things this way
toolmaker
hunter

Postby MSparks909 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:37 am

In NC it's not illegal to carry for self-defense while hunting (even waterfowl). I'll have to look up the exact clause but I remember reading it. None of the game wardens that I've gotten checked by have cared that I carry while hunting. They understand some of the crazy crap that goes on and have actually complemented me on carrying before. I just hand them my concealed weapons permit with my hunting license and there's no issues.

EDIT: Found the statement on the NC WRC page. It's legal to carry a concealed weapon while hunting, but you may not take game with your concealed carry weapon unless it is legal to do so and in season.
http://www.ncwildlife.org/Licensing/Reg ... Carry.aspx
MSparks909
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:59 am

toolmaker wrote:I would have thought that it would be illegal to carry a handgun while waterfowlhunting...because the ammo doesn't fit NON toxic requirements, not does the caliber...ie, the firearm calibers are spelled out in the fed regs....

but since there are so many replies and no one has mentioned this, is there a clause allowing the carry of handguns that I am not aware of?

the tool

It's legal according to the OK Self Defense Act and is stated in the regulations for my state. As long as you have your carry permit. Without a carry permit it would be illegal to even have it stored in the boat unloaded. Which a lot of people probably do anyway.
UmatillaJeff wrote:By his very nature this tends to be a modest man who is loved by woman, children and dogs and well though of in all social circles.
We will call him the 10ga man
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby toolmaker » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:08 pm

yeah I am sure there are plenty of STATES that would ALLOW it...I am just talking about FEDERAL MIGRATORY WATERFOWL hunting REGULATIONS....

I just checked here....which it SEEMS is the exact wording of federal law and not a synopsis, and it doesn't read like I used to read it

http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?tp ... ain_02.tpl

It used to say something to the effect that no one could carry or possess any non approved ammunition while waterfowl hunting and NO ONE else in the party could carry non approved ammunition!!!!!!!!!

ie you couldn't tell the warden you were hunting ducks but your buddy wasn't, even though you were together... and he had lead shells

doesn't say that now

hmm

carry on guys

the tool
favorite quote: We constantly dont do things this way
toolmaker
hunter

Postby Dingbatter 2 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:51 pm

I hunt "Downeast" NC as well and have seen the same things that MSparks99 has. We were thinking of some kind of mount for AR's on the boat, front and back with high capacity mags. Would this be legal for self-defense purposes while duck hunting?
"When I get to heaven, tie me to a tree
For I'll begin to roam and soon you'll know where I will be..."
Dingbatter 2
hunter

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:52 pm

Dingbatter 2 wrote:I hunt "Downeast" NC as well and have seen the same things that MSparks99 has. We were thinking of some kind of mount for AR's on the boat, front and back with high capacity mags. Would this be legal for self-defense purposes while duck hunting?

As long as you conceal it
Last edited by OHIODUCKA5 on Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OHIODUCKA5
hunter

Postby MSparks909 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:53 pm

Dingbatter 2 wrote:I hunt "Downeast" NC as well and have seen the same things that MSparks99 has. We were thinking of some kind of mount for AR's on the boat, front and back with high capacity mags. Would this be legal for self-defense purposes while duck hunting?

I guess in my "hunter's harassment" thread, people either think that A.) I'm the cause of the problems or B.) I'm making this up. Dingbatter which areas do you hunt? You can PM me if you want.
MSparks909
hunter

Postby MSparks909 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:53 pm

OHIODUCKA5 wrote:

As long as you conceal

Does marsh grass count?
MSparks909
hunter

Postby Botiz630 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:23 pm

MSparks909 wrote:

I guess in my "hunter's harassment" thread, people either think that A.) I'm the cause of the problems or B.) I'm making this up. Dingbatter which areas do you hunt? You can PM me if you want.

Or C) cyber-scouter
It's all true, as far as I know.
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby Locked&Loaded » Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:23 pm

Wow. Forgetting my sandwich is the biggest concern I have when headed to the duck blind.
Locked&Loaded
Magic Mike

Postby MSparks909 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:09 pm

Botiz630 wrote:
MSparks909 wrote:

Or C) cyber-scouter

Jesus. Christ. It's April. No hunting going on. I was asking what areas he's seen this activity in. You have the Cape Fear/Wilmington area, Jacksonville/Onslow Bay, Pamlico Sound, Hyde County, OBX. I wasn't asking for hunting spots. If you must know, most of these incidents happened to me in Pamlico County.
MSparks909
hunter

Postby ColoradoGooser » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:38 pm

I take the 50 cal with me every time out,dont have many set up close to me.
"No man's Second Amendment rights are safe when the legislature is in session,especially when Democrats are in charge" Mark Twain

I carry a gun,because a cop weighs to much

Annoy a Liberal,work hard and be happy
ColoradoGooser
hunter

Postby TexasPuddleJumper » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:06 am

MSparks909 wrote:
Botiz630 wrote:
MSparks909 wrote:

Or C) cyber-scouter

Jesus. Christ. It's April. No hunting going on. I was asking what areas he's seen this activity in. You have the Cape Fear/Wilmington area, Jacksonville/Onslow Bay, Pamlico Sound, Hyde County, OBX. I wasn't asking for hunting spots. If you must know, most of these incidents happened to me in Pamlico County.

Calm down man, they're just trying to get your goat. It is HH 1101. Class dismissed.

Sent via smoke signal
I'm not saying that it shouldn't be done, I'm just saying it is ill advised...
TexasPuddleJumper
hunter

Postby rank duck » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:47 am

I hunt a lease but usually carry if I'm hunting alone. Nobody next to us or anything like that. My biggest concern is pulling up and finding someone stealing our stuff.
- THIS SPACE FOR RENT -
rank duck
hunter

Postby jelliejones » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:41 pm

!!!!exactly i carry some weapons, cause we don't no wen we are on hunting we encounter wild animals right.
jelliejones
Newb

Postby getemducks » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:07 pm

I open carry my 1911 when I'm out fishing or working in the woods. I don't bring it duck or goose hunting, where I hunt is so barren you usually never see another hunter or person. My 10 with T shot should slow something down if shot in the neck or face if need be, if not I'll grab it by the barrel and start swinging, at almost 11lbs it should make for a hell of a club LOL
Mini Goose Decoys - Inventor
"Gets the Longnecks closer"

Foamy Log Blind@ Prostaff
"Why sport an Oak when you can float a LOG!"

I wish I knew half as much, and shot half as many birds as the guys on DHC claim they do...
getemducks
hunter

Postby OmegaRed » Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:05 am

.480 Ruger snubby strapped to my ankle at all times.
I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in.
OmegaRed
Fabio

Postby MSparks909 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:43 am

OmegaRed wrote:.480 Ruger snubby strapped to my ankle at all times.

Well I think your hand cannon has you well covered :biggrin:
MSparks909
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to The Honey Hole