Duck Hunting Forum banner

Do any of you carry (pistol or otherwise) while hunting?

3K views 52 replies 32 participants last post by  MinnesotaDan 
#1 ·
Had several incidents this past season that motivated me to carry a pistol while duck hunting. Many instances of hunter's harassment and I've actually been shot at before, and so has my dog. So, in addition to the duck gun, I (legally, of course) conceal carry my Glock with me on all hunts. I find it offers me peace of mind over #2 shot...anyways, just wondering if there are others who carry a pistol for protection while duck hunting on here.

#4 ·
I live near Memphis Tn. So I never go anywhere without a gun usually have one on me one in the truck. So as for hunting I will have one along with shotgun.

Where do you hunt that it's that bad. I would think there would be laws to prevent that BS.
When you were shot at was it by another hunter or a non hunter?

#5 ·
Gj325 said:
I live near Memphis Tn. So I never go anywhere without a gun usually have one on me one in the truck. So as for hunting I will have one along with shotgun.

Where do you hunt that it's that bad. I would think there would be laws to prevent that BS.
Eastern North Carolina. It's a different world down east...most of the "good ol" boys wouldn't bat an eye at firing a shot a little too close to others. I've seen it happen to others as well. Blasting cormorants, pounding Natty Lite in the duck blind, shooting redheads through February and March on the Core Sound...I've truly seen it all. Tons of people have mysterious "lightning strikes" in their public blinds, etc. We've had many groups try to run us off public gamelands. Have had property owners threaten/shoot at us for being "too close" even know there's no distance law in the county I usually hunt. Have also seen some sketchy people hanging around my truck when I go scout in the woods, often alone. The Glock/1911/.357 always accompanies me when scouting (open carry) and when I duck hunt I carry my Glock in a chest rig by Hill People Gear that goes under my jacket.

#6 ·
MSparks909 said:
Gj325 said:

Eastern North Carolina. It's a different world down east...most of the "good ol" boys wouldn't bat an eye at firing a shot a little too close to others. I've seen it happen to others as well. Blasting cormorants, pounding Natty Lite in the duck blind, shooting redheads through February and March on the Core Sound...I've truly seen it all. Tons of people have mysterious "lightning strikes" in their public blinds, etc. We've had many groups try to run us off public gamelands. Have had property owners threaten/shoot at us for being "too close" even know there's no distance law in the county I usually hunt. Have also seen some sketchy people hanging around my truck when I go scout in the woods, often alone. The Glock/1911/.357 always accompanies me when scouting (open carry) and when I duck hunt I carry my Glock in a chest rig by Hill People Gear that goes under my jacket.
That sucks. Problem is if you use your gun you will most likely end up being charged. One thing carrying a gun does it makes you the one who has to remain level headed. I think I would be looking for me a new hunting area. I would hate to think where I hunted might cause me to end up in jail if you made on quick dumb mistake.

Good Luck don't blame you for carrying but sure don't envy you.

#7 ·
Gj325 said:
MSparks909 said:
Gj325 said:

That sucks. Problem is if you use your gun you will most likely end up being charged. One thing carrying a gun does it makes you the one who has to remain level headed. I think I would be looking for me a new hunting area. I would hate to think where I hunted might cause me to end up in jail if you made on quick dumb mistake.

Good Luck don't blame you for carrying but sure don't envy you.
I hope I never have to use it (duck hunting or otherwise), but I try to keep a handgun on or near me 24/7. Not paranoid in a sense; just prepared. And if I do have to use it, the reason will be well justified.

#9 ·
Eastern nc is a different world I grew up in tx and la and now that I'm stationed here I will always have my 40 with me. The hunting areas are limited and people think they are Phil himself but sound like a bunch of 5 year olds blowing kazoos at a birthday party and blame all the flares sucks on someone else. I always take my pistol with me in the blind. I have it for protection from jerkoff hunters and gators I hope I don't have to use it but I'd rather have it than wish I did when I needed it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#10 ·
I am trying to switch to completely private land this season for those reasons. Even then though, there's still a chance of having to deal with yahoos. And when it occurs on private land they are probably already breaking the law to begin with. But overall it significantly reduces your chances of having to deal with that crap.
For boat hunting and hunting more popular areas we would regularly beat people to the spot they wanted...one time last season a boat kept coming straight toward us, the people in it were pissed off and yelling stuff we couldn't understand, got to the edge of our decoy spread, little did they know that my hand was inside my jacket ready to unholster my 1911 as soon as I saw a weapon. Then they randomly did a donut at full throttle and headed out of the cove. Yep, Oklahoma is becoming just like our eastern neighbor as far as public land goes.
Then when you hunt a more secluded area on public land to get away from the idiots, you may have to deal with the meth heads and/or thieves looking to take stuff out of the back of your truck, break into it, etc.
But that's just life, which is why I carry everywhere I legally can.

#14 ·
MSparks909 said:
Gj325 said:

Do these guys have a crew? Might try and get jumped in. #easternerz

#21 ·
MSparks909 said:
Gj325 said:

Thats what makes hunting in Eastern NC so much fun. Thank god there are so many ducks or else it wouldnt be worth it !!! :thumbsup:
I have had the air let out of my tires, I have been threatened, I have had nasty notes left. Keeps ya on your toes. probably doesnt help I am hunting in NC and live in VA

#22 ·
Always. I hunt away from people almost exclusively. I often hike a long ways or run the boat a long ways to get to those kinds of areas. We run into bears, cougars, occasional meth heads / labs, and the common drunk hunters / azzhats in some areas I hunt.

#23 ·
Sir Big Spur said:
MSparks909 said:
Gj325 said:

Do these guys have a crew? Might try and get jumped in. #easternerz
Just head on down in between Harkers Island and Cedar Island...

#24 ·
KAhunter said:
MSparks909 said:
Gj325 said:

Thats what makes hunting in Eastern NC so much fun. Thank God there are so many ducks or else it wouldnt be worth it !!! :thumbsup:
I have had the air let out of my tires, I have been threatened, I have had nasty notes left. Keeps ya on your toes. probably doesnt help I am hunting in NC and live in VA
You never know who you're gonna deal with at the ramp or in the marsh...always makes it interesting that's for sure!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.