What's the worst hunter's harassment you've experienced?

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, steve-o, Preacher1011, La. Hunter, lostpup, #1wingnut

What's the worst hunter's harassment you've experienced?

Postby MSparks909 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:44 am

This is an offshoot of the "Do you carry a pistol or other while hunting" thread. I'm just curious to hear if you've ever been harassed while hunting, either by other hunters or non-hunters.

So far I've had my boat trailer tires slashed, had a dog crate stolen out of my buddy's truck I hunted with, had my ducks stolen out of the boat while getting breakfast after a hunt, had my decoys shot at (and shot), had my dog get shot at while on a retrieve, personally been shot at (on purpose) while in a boat blind, have had some public blinds I've constructed burned down, and I've had guys try to run me off "their spot" on public gamelands. So far, the worst ones have been getting shot at, my dog getting shot at, and having my decoys shot (all 3 separate occasions).

So let's hear it, any interesting stories or accounts to tell?
MSparks909
hunter

Re: What's the worst hunter's harassment you've experienced?

Postby OGblackcloud » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:51 am

Sounds like you need to quit moving in on other peoples spots :fingerpt:
OGblackcloud
hunter

Postby i_willie12 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:53 am

sounds like i wouldnt be hunting in those places or someone would be dead!! Shot at me or my dog.. :no: Never find that body
"Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
John Stephens RNT

HRCH Wilson's Grand Priarie Pintail "Sprig"
i_willie12
hunter

Postby Gunnysway » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:55 am

(Note to self... stay away from MSparks hunting spots... or bring 2 flack jackets. one for me, the other for the dog.)
Setting up meetings between geese and God since 1992...

Gud till ära, oss till gagn...
Gunnysway
hunter

Postby MSparks909 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:58 am

OGblackcloud wrote:Sounds like you need to quit moving in on other peoples spots :fingerpt:

Yeah, because hunting on public land totally encroaches on people's spots :rolleyes:
MSparks909
hunter

Postby OGblackcloud » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:02 am

MSparks909 wrote:
OGblackcloud wrote:Sounds like you need to quit moving in on other peoples spots :fingerpt:

Yeah, because hunting on public land totally encroaches on people's spots :rolleyes:

Took all that shooting and me saying some thing for you to finally get it :thumbsup: Glad I could help. If you need any more let me know
OGblackcloud
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:05 am

Are you hunting in downtown Detroit at the Park? Stop pizzing the cops off and go hunt some public land.

I have had a few instances with idiots thinking they owned public land that I got to first. Being threatening and overly belligerant ended up with 3 loaded shotguns casually set on the edge of the blind pointed in their general direction. They got the message and moved on.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby MSparks909 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:05 am

I will say that for the most part, 95% of my hunts go fairly smooth with no issues, and 95% of fellow hunters are polite, upstanding people. However, there are always those who take things way too far, or just don't value human life or property. There is a thread on the NC Refuge website right now that is dealing with a certain individual in my neck of the woods who shot at a group of hunters in a boat blind who were set up near his part of the shoreline. Those individuals are taking the shooter to court, and it's become a pretty big deal in my area. The individuals that were shot at asked for anyone else sharing similar encounters with this one particular property owner to come forward and share their stories, and most responses are fairly similar and all feature various forms of hunter's harassment. Welcome to eastern North Carolina :hi:
MSparks909
hunter

Postby TheMiz » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:23 am

Man, that's tough. I've heard some really bad stories about the cut-throat hunting in Arkansas, especially public (slashed tires, trailers detached and pushed into the water...etc). I don't think I would even bother hunting if I had to put up with that BS. I've also heard of rice farmers not allowing any hunting (lease or not) because they don't want to deal with any of that nonsense.

Luckily I've never dealt with any of that stuff here in Ks. I think it helps that we're a little more spread out here and I avoid the major public areas on high traffic days.
TheMiz
hunter

Postby TheMiz » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:25 am

BTW have any of you seen the BS the duck hunters in Australia have to take from the non-hunters their? It's INSANE.
TheMiz
hunter

Postby possumfoot » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:30 am

hey, you think its bad there, set up on a property line shooting swings on private here.. or even worse, shoot swings on the lake..

if you are butting up next to someone in order to shoot swing birds, i hope they do beat you down at the ramp.. face mask and tire iron style.. if that is not the case, then maybe you need to invest in a mask..
WTN10 wrote:He was funny like a Pomeranian getting kicked over a fence.

pgquackstacker wrote:I actually started bringing a gun with me on dates, so I bring the girl's father out to my car and tell him if he tries to cock-block me I'll kill him.
possumfoot
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:32 am

Haven't had any bad experiences but I did have one that was actually quite pleasurable. A friend and I were crow hunting on my families property when out of nowhere a pair of animal loving do-gooders showed up and tried to tell us that we were trespassing and that that we had to pack up and leave. I instantly knew that they were hippie squatters from the neighboring property where the owner gets raided for drugs on an almost semi annual basis. I let them know that they were he ones who were in fact trespassing, that they needed to leave, and that we would not stop hunting. They got all flustered and asked why we were shooting crows to which I replied "because it's fun". "So you aren't even going to eat them?!!!!", one replied. To which I answered "Nope, but feel free to take as many as you want.". My buddy started laughing at them which really pissed them off and they started calling us every name in the book. As we laughed at them a flock of crows came in and we opened up, dropping three birds out of the flock which came down all around them. They were absolutely furious and they really started screaming at us. :lol3: :lol3: One crow tried to hobble off so I ran it down and stomped its head to dispatch it. The look on their faces was priceless. Eventually they figured that they couldn't do anything to stop us so they left, utterly disgusted. :lol3:
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby OGblackcloud » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:42 am

MSparks909 wrote:I will say that for the most part, 95% of my hunts go fairly smooth with no issues, and 95% of fellow hunters are polite, upstanding people. However, there are always those who take things way too far, or just don't value human life or property. There is a thread on the NC Refuge website right now that is dealing with a certain individual in my neck of the woods who shot at a group of hunters in a boat blind who were set up near his part of the shoreline. Those individuals are taking the shooter to court, and it's become a pretty big deal in my area. The individuals that were shot at asked for anyone else sharing similar encounters with this one particular property owner to come forward and share their stories, and most responses are fairly similar and all feature various forms of hunter's harassment. Welcome to eastern North Carolina :hi:

So now its a property owner not just some guy on public land :no:
OGblackcloud
hunter

Postby Rat Creek » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:25 am

Thankfully, I have never been harassed by anti-hunters. :thumbsup:

However, I have seen some bad behavior by other hunters. Only two really stick out for me.

On the opening morning of the Kansas pheasant season, a small group of us had arrived at one of the “walk-in hunting tracts.” These are government leased tracts that are open to the public for hunting. They are first come, first choose. Right before shooting time, a large group arrived claiming this was their field as they hunt it each year. We explained that we were here first and they would have to move on. We already had dropped a few people on the north end as blockers. As we slowly worked from the south end, we realized these late arrivals simply went to the west side of the field, flanked us and basically raced through the field toward the east, pushing all the birds out of the field, and completely screwing up our morning hunt. That was my last day hunting public land for upland game. :sad:

The second is just the general feeling some have that they have a right to something on public land because they hunt it regularly. I hear the locals regularly complaining about the “city” people coming down to hunt on “their” land. If you hunt public land, you really need to have a laid back attitude because by virtue of its name, you will be dealing with the general public. Most are great people, some are not so great. :rolleyes:
Rat Creek
Rat Creek
hunter

Postby MSparks909 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:51 am

OGblackcloud wrote:
MSparks909 wrote:I will say that for the most part, 95% of my hunts go fairly smooth with no issues, and 95% of fellow hunters are polite, upstanding people. However, there are always those who take things way too far, or just don't value human life or property. There is a thread on the NC Refuge website right now that is dealing with a certain individual in my neck of the woods who shot at a group of hunters in a boat blind who were set up near his part of the shoreline. Those individuals are taking the shooter to court, and it's become a pretty big deal in my area. The individuals that were shot at asked for anyone else sharing similar encounters with this one particular property owner to come forward and share their stories, and most responses are fairly similar and all feature various forms of hunter's harassment. Welcome to eastern North Carolina :hi:

Uhh, yeah. What is your issue with what I've said, in this post and others I've made in this thread? There is no distance law in Craven County, North Carolina. The above hunters are free to set up wherever they please. The "property owner" who shot at them is facing assault charges, among other things.

And to your prior public land comments...I don't "set up on top of others" on public land.
MSparks909
hunter

Postby Botiz630 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:54 am

MSparks909 wrote:
OGblackcloud wrote:

Uhh, yeah. What is your issue with what I've said, in this post and others I've made in this thread? There is no distance law in Craven County, North Carolina. The above hunters are free to set up wherever they please. The "property owner" who shot at them is facing assault charges, among other things.

And to your prior public land comments...I don't "set up on top of others" on public land.

If you're close enough for someone to shoot at you, you're too close.
Holy Molly
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby wackemstackem » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:03 am

Ive gotta ask...How old are you sparks
It's my Island.
wackemstackem
muppet paster

Postby MSparks909 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:05 am

wackemstackem wrote:Ive gotta ask...How old are you sparks

MSparks909
hunter

Postby MSparks909 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:06 am

Botiz630 wrote:
MSparks909 wrote:
OGblackcloud wrote:

If you're close enough for someone to shoot at you, you're too close.

Not when "property owner" takes his boat and rides out towards you and then fires shots in your direction...
MSparks909
hunter

Postby wackemstackem » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:12 am

Cats have nine live.Seems you're on #8. Take out an insurance policy and give up duck hunting.
It's my Island.
wackemstackem
muppet paster

Postby MSparks909 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:15 am

wackemstackem wrote:Cats have nine live.Seems you're on #8. Take out an insurance policy and give up duck hunting.

:biggrin: Granted these experiences have been over a 15 year hunting period...but still.
MSparks909
hunter

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:15 am

You must kill alot of ducks to keep going back to get shot at.
I hope someday someone remembers this old dog with kindness and gives me to a puppy.

-Gene Hill
OHIODUCKA5
hunter

Postby MSparks909 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:16 am

TheMiz wrote:BTW have any of you seen the BS the duck hunters in Australia have to take from the non-hunters their? It's INSANE.

Care to elaborate? I didn't know there was duck hunting in Australia. Add one thing to the bucket list...
MSparks909
hunter

Postby Botiz630 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:20 am

Are you sure these incidents are related to duck hunting? I mean, maybe you're just not a likable person and folks would come after you regardless of what you were doing.
Holy Molly
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby WTN10 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:21 am

I hate him already.
2014 Season Totals:
Mallards: 243
Redheads: 114
Woodducks: 119
Grebes: 36
Blue Geese: 134
Snow Geese: 178
Hawks: 4
WTN10
hunter