the fun of being self employeed

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, steve-o, Preacher1011, La. Hunter, lostpup, #1wingnut

the fun of being self employeed

Postby ed m » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:15 am

just curious as to how many on here are self employed and what do you do,

from the looks of the free pass thread reb is either unemployed or selfemployed.
myself had my own seasonal advertising business since 2001 ready to sell it all anyday,
went full time self employed in 07' when i purchased a sign shop, plenty of time for hunting and playing in the fall and winter but when the weather is nice i'm working way more than playing, and not feeling like the money and headaches are worth it anymore
ed m
hunter

Re: the fun of being self employeed

Postby rebelmdb69 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:17 am

Run a guide service in the fall/winter and am the shop lead at LineX here in OKC
rebelmdb69
Free Pass Moderator

Postby Broken Paddle » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:26 pm

Currently self employed, not working. Looking for work, i am a jack of all trades, master of most. My resum'e reads like a Chinese laundry list.

See below for a partial list.

Self Employed as Trachs Assoc, LLC Riverton, Connecticut 2004 – present
Carpenter

• Write estimates, estimate materials, invoicing, prepare quotes.
• Sub contracting to general contractors for new construction, remodeling, and repair work.

Main Stream, LLC,
Boat Operator and Water Safety

• Operate 14’ – 28’ work and safety boats on state and federal bridge inspection and or construction projects
• Act as water rescue person under state and federal bridge inspection or construction projects where there is work on, above, or near water per OSHA standards.

Self Employed 2000 - 2003
Home Health Care

• Provided 24 hour, 7 day per week care for my ailing Father

Main Stream, LLC,

• Coordinate all operations for multi-state, multi-site OSHA compliance service company. Schedule all sales and client relation’s activities. File all weekly reports to Connecticut Department of Transportation and federal regulatory agencies.

Miner Lumber Company, Inc.,

• Assisted homeowners and contractors in proper hardware and building material selections for residential and commercial construction.
• Became responsible for ordering and maintaining inventory for all lock and door hardware, including special order items.
• Responsible for all re-keying of locksets for customers.
• Trained myself in master and grand master keying of locks and locksets.

Riverton Volunteer Fire Company, Inc., Riverton, Connecticut 1971 - Present

• Served local fire department for many years as a firefighter. Served 11 years as a senior officer including 6 years as Chief. Current status life member.

CIVIC

Litchfield County Dispatch, Inc., Litchfield, Connecticut 1985 -1991

Founding member of regional dispatch center dispatching fire and ambulance personnel for 90% Litchfield County and parts or Hartford County, appointed to board of directors 1985 for Litchfield County Dispatch, Inc. representing Town of Barkhamsted.

EDUCATION

Northwestern Connecticut Community-Technical College, Winsted, CT

Courses in human resource management, business and professional communications, retailing, marketing, organization and management, computer science

Litchfield County Fire Chiefs Training School

• Officer's Course
• Senior Officer's Management Course
Connecticut State Fire School
• Microcomputers in Fire Service Management
• Fire Service Instructor I
Broken Paddle
hunter

Location: Fomerly in Riverton, CT Now wandering spaceship Earth

Postby cobbeaux » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:00 pm

Broken Paddle wrote:Currently self employed, not working. Looking for work, i am a jack of all trades, master of most. My resum'e reads like a Chinese laundry list.

See below for a partial list.

Self Employed as Trachs Assoc, LLC Riverton, Connecticut 2004 – present
Carpenter

• Write estimates, estimate materials, invoicing, prepare quotes.
• Sub contracting to general contractors for new construction, remodeling, and repair work.

Main Stream, LLC,
Boat Operator and Water Safety

• Operate 14’ – 28’ work and safety boats on state and federal bridge inspection and or construction projects
• Act as water rescue person under state and federal bridge inspection or construction projects where there is work on, above, or near water per OSHA standards.

Self Employed 2000 - 2003
Home Health Care

• Provided 24 hour, 7 day per week care for my ailing Father

Main Stream, LLC,

• Coordinate all operations for multi-state, multi-site OSHA compliance service company. Schedule all sales and client relation’s activities. File all weekly reports to Connecticut Department of Transportation and federal regulatory agencies.

Miner Lumber Company, Inc.,

• Assisted homeowners and contractors in proper hardware and building material selections for residential and commercial construction.
• Became responsible for ordering and maintaining inventory for all lock and door hardware, including special order items.
• Responsible for all re-keying of locksets for customers.
• Trained myself in master and grand master keying of locks and locksets.

Riverton Volunteer Fire Company, Inc., Riverton, Connecticut 1971 - Present

• Served local fire department for many years as a firefighter. Served 11 years as a senior officer including 6 years as Chief. Current status life member.

CIVIC

Litchfield County Dispatch, Inc., Litchfield, Connecticut 1985 -1991

Founding member of regional dispatch center dispatching fire and ambulance personnel for 90% Litchfield County and parts or Hartford County, appointed to board of directors 1985 for Litchfield County Dispatch, Inc. representing Town of Barkhamsted.

EDUCATION

Northwestern Connecticut Community-Technical College, Winsted, CT

Courses in human resource management, business and professional communications, retailing, marketing, organization and management, computer science

Litchfield County Fire Chiefs Training School

• Officer's Course
• Senior Officer's Management Course
Connecticut State Fire School
• Microcomputers in Fire Service Management
• Fire Service Instructor I

I'd hire this guy^^^^
Awwww man, I can't believe I did dat!

Red Leg Waterfowl Field Staff
cobbeaux
hunter

Postby go get the bird » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:34 pm

I currently run a non-profit charity that provides funding, through numerous legal entities, to myself.

All donations are welcome.
MackieKnife wrote:The moral of the story is...I'm retarded.
go get the bird
hunter

Postby jaysweet3 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:22 pm

I've owned my own business for eight years still enjoy it. I've worked as a dental technician for close to 25 years. Started in high school, all through college. My bachelors degree is in a non related field.

After college, I kept on going in the dental field. Bounced around for a couple years, then landed a job working for the University of Chicago Dental Clinic. I spent just under ten years working for them.

Started my own lab eight years ago. There's been some lean years, but I do what I want.

Couple years ago I was contacted by a large lab in my area. They lost their manager, wanted me to take it over. Offered me more money than I was making on my own. I passed.
The road to diabetes will be sweet.
jaysweet3
hunter

Postby t_baker » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:20 pm

Wife had our baby on October 15th 2012. On October 31 the company I was a service manager for closed the doors. I was actually the last person to lock the gate before the auction. Before I left I printed out our customer list which was 2 reams of paper big. I went through it one by one pulling out our normal customers. I sent out mass email to them all stating I would be continuing repairs at my house.

Fast forward a year and a half to today and I am working half the hours I was and making much more money.
t_baker
hunter

Postby LongTom » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:18 pm

Started an oilfield service company in 2000. Built the company up working 14 to 18hr days until 2009, now I have three managers and 45 drivers. I would retire if I had to do anything other than oversee the decisions the managers make.
A lot of sweat and hard work is really paying off.
LongTom
hunter

Postby gock5 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:18 am

Owned my own consulting company for 17 years. Just closed it down in December and went to work for a large engineering company. Too much mental/physical harm over those years. Wasn't worth it anymore.
gock5
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:20 am

Partially self-employed as I work for free for my future wife when I am not working at my normal job. Though, my job allows me off for the 60 day duck season and still get paid, but have to make up the forty-four days before the season. I can't complain But, small business, self-employed is not all candy everyday.

LongTom, congrats! :bow: I'm jealous. Only 23 more years until I retire with full pension. I see work only as a present day stimulate. Then, when duck season comes I forget about work and literally eat, sleep and duck hunt til limit or sunset.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Return to The Honey Hole