Anyone here grow onions in their gardens?

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, La. Hunter, steve-o, #1wingnut, lostpup, Preacher1011

Anyone here grow onions in their gardens?

Postby Indaswamp » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:05 am

Thinking about putting some in this year. Any tips? I already have a container of green onions, thinking of growing some white onion bulbs.
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Re: Anyone here grow onions in their gardens?

Postby Quackersmacker21 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:50 am

Plant early! I'm in PA and most people have them in already. One of the first, if not the first thing in. Spinach is an early plant too. Ours are in so early that you hear old timers refer to the last snow of the year as the " onion snow". If you are using onion sets as we call them plant about 3 inches deep and 5-6 inches apart. They grow great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quackersmacker21
hunter

Postby rank duck » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:20 am

I have planted them before. I got some onions.

Onions is one of the things I don't grow because I can buy them 365 days a year at the grocery and they taste just fine. I'm limiting my garden to things I can't get in a store worth a crap. Tomatoes, sweet corn, pickling cucumbers, etc.
- THIS SPACE FOR RENT -
rank duck
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:24 am

I think they like a really loamy soil.....
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:26 pm

Quackersmacker21 wrote:Plant early! I'm in PA and most people have them in already. One of the first, if not the first thing in. Spinach is an early plant too. Ours are in so early that you hear old timers refer to the last snow of the year as the " onion snow". If you are using onion sets as we call them plant about 3 inches deep and 5-6 inches apart. They grow great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So if I plant now, when do I harvest onions?

rank duck wrote:I have planted them before. I got some onions.

Onions is one of the things I don't grow because I can buy them 365 days a year at the grocery and they taste just fine. I'm limiting my garden to things I can't get in a store worth a crap. Tomatoes, sweet corn, pickling cucumbers, etc.

I go through an insane amount of onions with all the cooking I do. especially making stocks.

Slack Tide wrote:I think they like a really loamy soil.....

that is not a problem here in south lousiana, but I might have to plant them in a raised bed so they don't sit in too much moist soil. 14" wide by 16 feet long onion bed.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Boocephus » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:08 pm

I plant the sets or bulbs about a foot apart in like a zig-zag row, leave em in the ground til the greens or stalks die off.
Boocephus
hunter

Postby ColoradoGooser » Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:06 pm

Have always grown them,most years I will grow all three colors.I try and get my sets or plants in just before Good Friday or Easter at the latest.
Harvest mine when tops flop over,cut the tops off and hang to dry them,most yellows and white varieties store well.
"No man's Second Amendment rights are safe when the legislature is in session,especially when Democrats are in charge" Mark Twain

I carry a gun,because a cop weighs to much

Annoy a Liberal,work hard and be happy
ColoradoGooser
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:08 pm

ColoradoGooser wrote:Have always grown them,most years I will grow all three colors.I try and get my sets or plants in just before Good Friday or Easter at the latest.
Harvest mine when tops flop over,cut the tops off and hang to dry them,most yellows and white varieties store well.

ever cut the tops off while the bulbs are in the ground to grow bigger bulbs?

what time of year do you harvest?

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby ColoradoGooser » Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:01 pm

Indaswamp wrote:
ColoradoGooser wrote:Have always grown them,most years I will grow all three colors.I try and get my sets or plants in just before Good Friday or Easter at the latest.

ever cut the tops off while the bulbs are in the ground to grow bigger bulbs?

what time of year do you harvest?

No I cut the tops off after plucking them from the ground,the average size of onions I harvest in mid October are softball size or bigger,the reds usually only get about the the size of what is in most produce isles.
"No man's Second Amendment rights are safe when the legislature is in session,especially when Democrats are in charge" Mark Twain

I carry a gun,because a cop weighs to much

Annoy a Liberal,work hard and be happy
ColoradoGooser
hunter

Return to The Honey Hole