inside waistband holster

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, steve-o, Preacher1011, La. Hunter, lostpup, #1wingnut

inside waistband holster

Postby possumfoot » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:13 pm

any recommendations that will accomidate a full size 1911??
WTN10 wrote:He was funny like a Pomeranian getting kicked over a fence.

pgquackstacker wrote:I actually started bringing a gun with me on dates, so I bring the girl's father out to my car and tell him if he tries to cock-block me I'll kill him.
possumfoot
hunter

Re: inside waistband holster

Postby B.E.Nelli » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:40 pm

Crossbreed holsters are the most comfortable holsters I have ever worn.
B.E.Nelli
hunter

Postby bighop » Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:10 am

I use the Minotaur MTAC from Comp-tac for my small 1911 and an XDs, they're both very comfortable, and there are more clip options than Crossbreed.
Rick Hall 2016
He'll turn it all around. Unless he doesn't.
bighop
Sugar Daddy

Postby rank duck » Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:07 pm

B.E.Nelli wrote:Crossbreed holsters are the most comfortable holsters I have ever worn.

I second the crossbreed brand. I just bought 2 more last week.
- THIS SPACE FOR RENT -
rank duck
hunter

Postby blackrock » Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:48 pm

image.jpg
I recommend the Summer Special from Milt Sparks. It's a classic (often copied), rough out, well fitted, minimal design and hand made. There's usually a wait, but it's worth it. I've worn one since I went to Gunsite and took a course from the great Jeff Cooper. I carry a full size Colt and a Commander sized Kimber, same holster.
blackrock
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:14 pm

My leather Blackhawk works just fine, with the single clip. If you are intending to use this rig during the warmer months on a regular basis, I think you will find yourself buying a smaller weapon that's more comfortable and concealable. I use a 637 airweight for the warmer months. It barely prints wearing a tighter fitting t shirt and it's much more comfortable than a 1911.
UmatillaJeff wrote:This load would drop ducks and geese like thors hammer in my hands, I would bet the equity in my house on it.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby WTN10 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:45 pm

blackrock wrote:
image.jpg
I recommend the Summer Special from Milt Sparks. It's a classic (often copied), rough out, well fitted, minimal design and hand made. There's usually a wait, but it's worth it. I've worn one since I went to Gunsite and took a course from the great Jeff Cooper. I carry a full size Colt and a Commander sized Kimber, same holster.

I ordered one of these from Brownell's last night. Going to put an order in on a Crossbreed though per Brian's suggestion elsewhere.
2014 Season Totals:
Mallards: 243
Redheads: 114
Woodducks: 119
Grebes: 36
Blue Geese: 134
Snow Geese: 178
Hawks: 4
WTN10
hunter

Postby blackrock » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:47 pm

As shoveler shooter pointed out you need options. I really like a Galco Miami Classic for the 1911 too. Regular concealed carry is enhanced by multiple guns and multiple carry options. I too carry a really light j frame 38/357 in summer sometimes, IWB or ankle holster. I also carry it or a 380 (hate to admit it, LOL) in a pocket holster when wearing shorts.
blackrock
hunter

Postby blackrock » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:52 pm

You know, I've been trying to talk myself in to ordering a Crossbreed Supertuck for awhile, because I hear they are really comfortable. Big and butt ugly though!
blackrock
hunter

Postby whisperin' duck » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:53 pm

B.E.Nelli wrote:Crossbreed holsters are the most comfortable holsters I have ever worn.

Truth, I've got one for a 1911 and one for my P2000.
LadyK wrote:Ya know, day to day, government collapse, zombie apocalypse. A woman's job never changes. :lol3:
whisperin' duck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby WTN10 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:00 pm

blackrock wrote:As shoveler shooter pointed out you need options. I really like a Galco Miami Classic for the 1911 too. Regular concealed carry is enhanced by multiple guns and multiple carry options. I too carry a really light j frame 38/357 in summer sometimes, IWB or ankle holster. I also carry it or a 380 (hate to admit it, LOL) in a pocket holster when wearing shorts.

I've been wondering about a shoulder holster. What's your experience been like? It'd be a good option for me since I wear a suit or blazer at work everyday, but seems like it'd be impractical otherwise.
2014 Season Totals:
Mallards: 243
Redheads: 114
Woodducks: 119
Grebes: 36
Blue Geese: 134
Snow Geese: 178
Hawks: 4
WTN10
hunter

Postby whisperin' duck » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:04 pm

WTN10 wrote:
blackrock wrote:As shoveler shooter pointed out you need options. I really like a Galco Miami Classic for the 1911 too. Regular concealed carry is enhanced by multiple guns and multiple carry options. I too carry a really light j frame 38/357 in summer sometimes, IWB or ankle holster. I also carry it or a 380 (hate to admit it, LOL) in a pocket holster when wearing shorts.

I've been wondering about a shoulder holster. What's your experience been like? It'd be a good option for me since I wear a suit or blazer at work everyday, but seems like it'd be impractical otherwise.

I've got the miami classic for my P2000, you can comfortably conceal under a button up shirt if it's loose enough. Just unbutton a button and you can draw easy enough. I would recommend the straps that hook it to your pants so you don't have it flopping around.
LadyK wrote:Ya know, day to day, government collapse, zombie apocalypse. A woman's job never changes. :lol3:
whisperin' duck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby B.E.Nelli » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:04 pm

blackrock wrote:You know, I've been trying to talk myself in to ordering a Crossbreed Supertuck for awhile, because I hear they are really comfortable. Big and butt ugly though!

I couldn't agree more with both of those statements...but I don't wear it for its looks lol. Try one and you'll be a believer.
B.E.Nelli
hunter

Postby blackrock » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:14 pm

Wtn10 I love having a shoulder holster. I highly recommend the Galco Miami Classic or Miami Classic 2. Works great with a blazer or suit coat. I'm about average size (6', 200) and I can easily conceal my Kimber. I wear it a lot under many other jackets, coats and shirt/jacs for casual every day use. It's pretty comforting having two extra full mags on the other side of the rig too! I carry it in the hills outside a shirt sometimes too, in fact I'm getting another (or the vertical carry model) for my revolvers too, as I prefer to carry a 41 mag or 44 mag when outdoors. My daughter carries an XDM 40 in one too, it prints on her though cause she's tiny.
blackrock
hunter

Postby hero » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:36 pm

Another vote for crossbreed.

Crossbreedseconds.com is another option. Just have to wait for what you want.
hero
hunter

Postby troy_iv » Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:39 am

Another for the crossbreed. Comfortable enough that I forget that I have a Colt Commander model on.

I'm going to pony up the extra for the horse hide version next time, though. The cowhide curls up after a while from sweat and humidity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
troy_iv
hunter

Postby rank duck » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:40 am

I've gotten horsehide previously. I just got a cowhide to see how it does. Curling is not good. If I recall correctly, the horsehide is $15 more on most. Probably worth it if the cowhide curls.
- THIS SPACE FOR RENT -
rank duck
hunter

Postby GomerPyle » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:42 am

crossbreed or Shielded Holsters...........I have a Shielded Holster for my Glock 23 and like it a lot. It's very similar to the crossbreeds but a little cheaper ($50ish instead of $70ish).

http://www.shieldedholsters.com/

At the advice of my attorney, I issue the following disclaimer:

"This post may or may not be intended as humor and/or sarcasm and does not necessarily reflect the actual views of the poster."
GomerPyle
hunter

Postby whisperin' duck » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:29 am

rank duck wrote:I've gotten horsehide previously. I just got a cowhide to see how it does. Curling is not good. If I recall correctly, the horsehide is $15 more on most. Probably worth it if the cowhide curls.

Mine are both horsehide. From all the reading I did it absorbs less sweat than cowhide.
whisperin' duck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby shoveler_shooter » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:37 pm

Make sure your belt is a gun belt too. The belt is more important than the holster. I have the crossbreed belt, expensive but worth it. Lifetime warranty too. Whether I'm carrying my 1911, N frame S&W, or .38, the rigidness of the belt supports the weight of the gun and doesn't allow it to sag or pull down.

For shoulder holsters I have the Miami Classic for my 1911 and I prefer it over anything when I can wear a coat or button up shirt. You can get used to carrying a 1911 IWB during the cooler months but a smaller weapon is much more comfortable; therefore you will find yourself more enthusiastic about carrying it regularly. My little .38 isn't the most comfortable to shoot or accurate but it's a lot better than leaving the 1911 in the truck and not having anything.
UmatillaJeff wrote:This load would drop ducks and geese like thors hammer in my hands, I would bet the equity in my house on it.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby rblaker » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:20 pm

I ordered an alien gear holster last week, wait time seems to be about a month. For the price I figured it wouldn't hurt to try it. I found several favorable reviews and some comparison to crossbreed.
rblaker
Newb

Postby possumfoot » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:16 pm

went with a white hat max tuck.. horse hide.
WTN10 wrote:He was funny like a Pomeranian getting kicked over a fence.

pgquackstacker wrote:I actually started bringing a gun with me on dates, so I bring the girl's father out to my car and tell him if he tries to cock-block me I'll kill him.
possumfoot
hunter

Return to The Honey Hole