Duck Hunting Forum banner

Nut grass....what kills it

2K views 36 replies 16 participants last post by  aunt betty 
#1 ·
Its time to kill the the weeds in the grass again. MSMA for sure, but co-op man says that will not kill the nut grass. (yellow/ lime green looking stuff in the bermuda grass) Will only knock it down. So what do I need to rid my yard of this fast growing, wide blade mess. It wouldn't be so bad if it didn't grow faster than the bermuda.
Byers, you or Cannon have problem with this stuff in the rice, seems to like water.

Hump

#5 ·
I'm going to tell you right now nut grass is a pita. You can kill it but it will come back. We have 100 acres of plastic for crops and we inject via drip line and it kills but still comes back. I will ask what a homeowner what the strongest thing you can get without it being a restricted product.

#6 ·
My local nursery told be just to use a regular weed be gone on it. He advised to spray it 2 days after you mow and do this all during the season. They make a regular killer for it but Ive tried it and wasn't to happy as it turned my fescue brown and really didn't work that well. It gets a little old spraying all the time but I just chalk it up as part of the maintenance to have a nice yard. It does seem to work as Ive noticed less of the stuff over the last 2 years.

#7 ·
Thanks for the replies. I got right at 3 ac. to treat. So I will be looking at the $ that I will be spending. I know it takes about 150 gals to spray my whole yard. Figure at a rate of 3/1 ( 3oz. of MSMA to 1 gal. water) I'm puttin over 3.5gals of msma out. Thats at $65 for a 2.5 gals. from the co-op.
Keepn a nice looking yard is work. But its easier to cut when all those weed anit there.

Hump

#9 ·
There are a few herbicides especially for nutsedge,. Sedgehammer is one we use that kills only the nutsedge and nothing else if its in your lawn or somwhere you want to not affect other plants. If its just nutsedge then a few good shots of roundup should do the trick

#10 ·
KAhunter said:
There are a few herbicides especially for nutsedge,. Sedgehammer is one we use that kills only the nutsedge and nothing else if its in your lawn or somwhere you want to not affect other plants. If its just nutsedge then a few good shots of roundup should do the trick
Sedgehammer turned my Fescue brown and it took 6 weeks to turn green again. That's why the nursery guy told me to just use the weedbegone on a weekly basis. Also I thought maybe I had mixed the Sedgehammer to strong and that's why it turned the fescue brown, so the next year I had the landscape people that treat my yard do a application of it and it also turned the fescue brown. It might be ok on other grasses though.

#11 ·
I have never had any problems with it but if it burned your fescue I would stay away from it. You could get away with it in the cooler months on fescue as that is a cool season grass but mid summer if may burn like you said. Good luck.

#13 ·
Humpbackshooter said:
Thanks for the replies. I got right at 3 ac. to treat. So I will be looking at the $ that I will be spending. I know it takes about 150 gals to spray my whole yard. Figure at a rate of 3/1 ( 3oz. of MSMA to 1 gal. water) I'm puttin over 3.5gals of msma out. Thats at $65 for a 2.5 gals. from the co-op.
Keepn a nice looking yard is work. But its easier to cut when all those weed anit there.

Hump
You mixing her hot ain't ya?? I go 2 oz to a gallon, and I honestly thought that was too much.

#17 ·
sprigs4days said:
cluckmeister said:
sprigs4days said:
Killing yourself while you kill the nutgrass, doesn't for a great day make
You gotta dilute it a bit, cluck...geesh
In the United States, Paraquat is classified as "restricted commercial use," and people must obtain a license to use the product.

Breathing in Paraquat may cause lung damage and can lead to a disease called Paraquat lung. Paraquat causes damage to the body when it touches the lining of the mouth, stomach, or intestines. You can get sick if Paraquat touches a cut on your skin. Paraquat may also damage the kidneys, liver, and esophagus.

If Paraquat is swallowed, death can rapidly occur. Death may occur from a hole in the esophagus, or from acute inflammation of the mediastinum, the area that surrounds the major blood vessels and airways in the middle of the chest.

Chronic exposure to Paraquat may cause pulmonary fibrosis, a stiffening of the lung tissue

You delute it, Ill watch from about a hundred yards away LOL

#18 ·
cluckmeister said:
sprigs4days said:
cluckmeister said:
sprigs4days said:
In the United States, Paraquat is classified as "restricted commercial use," and people must obtain a license to use the product.

Breathing in Paraquat may cause lung damage and can lead to a disease called Paraquat lung. Paraquat causes damage to the body when it touches the lining of the mouth, stomach, or intestines. You can get sick if Paraquat touches a cut on your skin. Paraquat may also damage the kidneys, liver, and esophagus.

If Paraquat is swallowed, death can rapidly occur. Death may occur from a hole in the esophagus, or from acute inflammation of the mediastinum, the area that surrounds the major blood vessels and airways in the middle of the chest.

Chronic exposure to Paraquat may cause pulmonary fibrosis, a stiffening of the lung tissue

Yeah, but it's hell on aphids.

#19 ·
Humpbackshooter said:

Hump
That seems awfully stout. I don't have the label near me but you're putting out what I believe it three times the amount you should. I always use multiple applications of msma to kill weeds. I wait 7-10 days between applications. You could mix 2-4-D in, but be careful how you mix it and be sure not to burn everything.

#21 ·
sprigs4days said:
cluckmeister said:
sprigs4days said:
cluckmeister said:
sprigs4days said:

Yeah, but it's hell on aphids.
Paraquat is my favorite chemical. What else can you spray plants with in the morning and they are brown and dead by the next morning? Just dont drink the stuff and try to keep it off of you, which is something I tend to follow with any chemical.

#24 ·
The 3/1 mixing rate is what the guys down at the co-op said. Just about everything they sell down there is said to mix at a rate of 3/1.

Cason, I mix 2-4-D & "Earaser" with my "simazine" in the spring when I premerge. (at the same ratio per the co-op) This usally knocks down my weeds in the turf grass, but for some reason this yrs crop is grown full bore. It didn't help that I put down right at 700 lbs of 13 13 13. I have alot of crab-grass in it too. I sprayed the other day and it knock some of it down but I got a second spraying coming.

hump.

#25 ·
Humpbackshooter said:
The 3/1 mixing rate is what the guys down at the co-op said. Just about everything they sell down there is said to mix at a rate of 3/1.

Cason, I mix 2-4-D & "Earaser" with my "simazine" in the spring when I premerge. (at the same ratio per the co-op) This usally knocks down my weeds in the turf grass, but for some reason this yrs crop is grown full bore. It didn't help that I put down right at 700 lbs of 13 13 13. I have alot of crab-grass in it too. I sprayed the other day and it knock some of it down but I got a second spraying coming.

hump.
That's usually how I do it. Multiple applications don't stress my bermuda as bad.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.