lets hear basic training stories.

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, steve-o, Preacher1011, La. Hunter, lostpup, #1wingnut

lets hear basic training stories.

Postby sampsonhuntin » Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:52 pm

Bored today so some buddies and I started talking about the funny times of basic training. One of my favorites was when our residentual Gomer Pyle left his locker unlocked and the cq drill sergeant came up and did a random locker check at 0430.Well Gomer left his locker unlocked while he was sleeping. The drill sergeant wakes us all up and has us toe the line. Then starts throwing this idiots stuff everywhere and takes all of his hygiene items (mouthwash, aftershave, toothpaste, footpowder, babypowder, body wash etc) and says he is going to decorate the bay. He spread this crap everywhere, he was laughing and had us pushing the ground while he was doing it. All the while letting Gomer Pyle know how big of a pos he was. He then ripped everyone's sheets off and starts throwing mattresses on the floor. Some of us started laughing which really pissed him off so he walks to the front of the bay to the first locker and spartan kicks the crap out of it, which had a domino effect and caused everyone else's locker to fall over. He then said, and I quote "you f***tars have 20 mins to unf**k this bay, conduct personal hygiene, and be on the drill pad for pt." He then walks out with a smile on his face. He was an impressive one man wrecking crew. :lol3:
Underradar wrote:If you are gonna be a duckhunting badass, you need that barrel sticker that reads:

Prison Is My Futre

copterdoc wrote:trim, for grinding.
sampsonhuntin
hunter

Re: lets hear basic training stories.

Postby WisconsinWaterfowler » Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:24 pm

We had the idiot of the group run away. Overheard our RDCs say he made it almost all the way to the train station. He's not in the military anymore.
WisconsinWaterfowler
hunter

Postby sampsonhuntin » Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:55 pm

We had a guy get lost for 6 hours by himself on land nav. :lol3: He was also the same guy who managed to put his helmet on backwards and thought he was right and the rest of the platoon was screwed up. :huh: .

He got me dropped a few times since I was his squad leader. Then the drills realized he was the stupidest SOB ever and would then just make him push.
He quit around week 5. Good thing too, he would have been dangerous to those around him.
Underradar wrote:If you are gonna be a duckhunting badass, you need that barrel sticker that reads:

Prison Is My Futre

sampsonhuntin
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:31 pm

Pyle...
You lame brain you knucklehead.

Shazaauum. Golly.

Loved that show.
Cant remember anything about basic.
They made us march n stuff.
:smile:
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:13 pm

I had just been relieved as the acting Platoon Guide and told to find my replacement. I picked the biggest Blue Falcon we had as my replacment. The drills went absolutely ballistic on the guy. It took less than a week before he and his buddies got caught sneaking smokes into the barracks. We all got evicted. 3 full training platoons on 3 different floors. As in everything in the barracks placed dress right dresss outside the barracks just like it had been in the barracks. Smoking a rock sessions in between 5 to 10 minute emptying the barracks sessions. It took 4 hours to empty that barracks and get it all straight.

Best part was I and the squad leaders who worked under me originally took the time to lay all our gear out nice and neat at the start. We had everything ready for an inspection in the first two downloading sessions. We were busy helping others unload their crap from the barracks for the rest of the time. The drills released us to load our crap back into the barracks long before anyone else got released. We were sound asleep by the time the rest got released to put it all back. The other two platoons gave every BF'er that got caught in our platoon a major blanket party the next night.

The other one was when I got caught talking to a hold over explaining where his billeting would be. A drill thought I should be doing something else. The yelling session was epic. The drill had me hit the line in my PT's and flip flops at 11:00 hours. He had CQ watch that night. Another private was there to join in the fun. He gave us each a US Army issue buffer and we did PT for 30 minutes. Presses, lifts, side straddle hops, you name it all with the buffer in hand. Then he had us do hall laps buddy carrying the buffer. 100 laps each. I finished my hundred with Joe Snuffy the DA having just hit 45. That kid got another 150 laps added to the first set. I got sent to bed.

I learned early to just shut the hell up and do what I was told as fast as I could. Always paid off in the long run with the Drills. They eventually quit screwing with me and stayed busy messing with the problem children.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby rank duck » Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:20 pm

aunt betty wrote:Pyle...
You lame brain you knucklehead.

Shazaauum. Golly.

Loved that show.
Cant remember anything about basic.
They made us march n stuff.
:smile:

LMAO! :lol3:
- THIS SPACE FOR RENT -
rank duck
hunter

Postby dave79 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:20 pm

One of the guys in our room thought it would be funny to dump a whole big bottle of gold bond into a fan. It set off the fire alarms and cleared two companies out of the building. No one ratted him out but it got old covering for his *** all the time. Had a guy that everyone knew was stealing cash out of guys lockers. Drills told us to take care of it ourselves because no one ever caught him. Well he got a blanket party with the L-necked flashlights. We got our butts chewed for that one.
dave79
hunter

Postby talltimber » Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:04 am

We were on a 20 mile forced road march with full gear (basic gear). Drills were doing their usual thing, screaming and running around. They had the newer, bigger rucks on. They looked huge, and looked like they weighed 20 lbs more than ours. We stopped to eat mre's and a drill had to utilize the outhouse. Had to come back and get asswipe. His ruck was crammed full of it. I lost a little respect for him right then. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
talltimber
hunter

Postby Bluesky2012 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:58 am

We had one guy write a letter to his parents saying they should anchor their boat a little ways off the shore on such and such night. That night he snuck out, ran to the shore, swam out to the boat his parents were on and they drove him away. He got caught later on.

When I was in TBS I took some candy out to the field and we were doing a 15 mile hump back. I had a 240, A-bag, etc on top of my main pack and plate carrier on me. Apparently I wasn't supposed to have the candy with me so I had to jog laps around the platoon as we humped along for the remainder of the hike (like 7 miles). It was snowing outside and I was one step away from being a heat case from that. It was a pretty crappy day.
"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion."

"If you don't chew big red, then f- you"
Bluesky2012
hunter

Postby Locked&Loaded » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:30 am

Thanks to a run of bad luck and go-nowhere jobs, my friend convinced me to join the army so we could get in shape, likening it to a health spa. Once in boot camp, my wiseguy friend tangles with our by-the-book commander, Sgt. Hulka and becomes the unofficial leader for our platoon, made up mostly of other misfits and assorted losers. After somehow making it through graduation, we were given a special assignment but, thanks to my romantic interest in a hot MP, the other men wind up behind the Iron Curtain until we along with Sgt. Hulka make a daring rescue attempt in explosive style.
Locked&Loaded
Magic Mike

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:31 am

Locked&Loaded wrote:Thanks to a run of bad luck and go-nowhere jobs, my friend convinced me to join the army so we could get in shape, likening it to a health spa. Once in boot camp, my wiseguy friend tangles with our by-the-book commander, Sgt. Hulka and becomes the unofficial leader for our platoon, made up mostly of other misfits and assorted losers. After somehow making it through graduation, we were given a special assignment but, thanks to my romantic interest in a hot MP, the other men wind up behind the Iron Curtain until we along with Sgt. Hulka make a daring rescue attempt in explosive style.

They made a movie about your time in the service!!!!
I hope someday someone remembers this old dog with kindness and gives me to a puppy.

-Gene Hill
OHIODUCKA5
hunter

Postby Locked&Loaded » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:40 am

OHIODUCKA5 wrote:
Locked&Loaded wrote:Thanks to a run of bad luck and go-nowhere jobs, my friend convinced me to join the army so we could get in shape, likening it to a health spa. Once in boot camp, my wiseguy friend tangles with our by-the-book commander, Sgt. Hulka and becomes the unofficial leader for our platoon, made up mostly of other misfits and assorted losers. After somehow making it through graduation, we were given a special assignment but, thanks to my romantic interest in a hot MP, the other men wind up behind the Iron Curtain until we along with Sgt. Hulka make a daring rescue attempt in explosive style.

They made a movie about your time in the service!!!!

Locked&Loaded
Magic Mike

Postby whistlin_wings » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:59 am

Sampson your story doesn't sound much different than what may occur in a fraternity house so why is one thing hazing and an arrestable offense and the other is expected.
You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas.
whistlin_wings
State Moderator

Postby sampsonhuntin » Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:05 pm

Rebait the hook WW. :biggrin:

Prison Is My Futre

sampsonhuntin
hunter

Postby whistlin_wings » Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:12 pm

No baiting. I've always wondered why cops and military can haze but fraternities can't.

whistlin_wings
State Moderator

Postby sampsonhuntin » Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:24 pm

Military cannot haze anymore, they can give you "corrective training" though. :lol3:

It might be that whole defending the Constitution thing that caused them to be more lenient in the past. Now, people are getting article 15's for hazing.

Prison Is My Futre

sampsonhuntin
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:43 pm

whistlin_wings wrote:No baiting. I've always wondered why cops and military can haze but fraternities can't.

The military has never been allowed to haze. It has alway been against regulation. They just turn a blind eye when one guy or another is F'n everyone over and his team decides to tune his dumb azz up. Teaches the Buddy F'r to keep his crap tight and knock the crap off so everyone else doesn't have to suffer with him.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby Broken Paddle » Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:55 pm

I got lucky, we were my drill instructor. last group, before he retired. He was fairly light on us. I have no real memories, good or bad. I just remember, it SUCKED.

Great Lakes, IL.

Lottery # 22, I was going into the service, no matter!

USN, 12-5-72 to 9-30-74.
Broken Paddle
hunter

Location: Fomerly in Riverton, CT Now wandering spaceship Earth

Postby Bluesky2012 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:00 am

It is not hazing, it is an excorcise designed to simulate physical and mental stressors required in combat. Military jobs require that foundation an transformation hence why it is allowed. I'm fine with hazing, but I do see why it's illegal in fraternities because it doesn't offer a tangible return in the development of a stock broker or real estate agent.
"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion."

"If you don't chew big red, then f- you"
Bluesky2012
hunter

Postby whistlin_wings » Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:27 am

Bluesky2012 wrote:It is not hazing, it is an excorcise designed to simulate physical and mental stressors required in combat. Military jobs require that foundation an transformation hence why it is allowed. I'm fine with hazing, but I do see why it's illegal in fraternities because it doesn't offer a tangible return in the development of a stock broker or real estate agent.

Well that makes sense. I could see how this:
sampsonhuntin wrote:Well Gomer left his locker unlocked while he was sleeping. The drill sergeant wakes us all up and has us toe the line. Then starts throwing this idiots stuff everywhere and takes all of his hygiene items (mouthwash, aftershave, toothpaste, footpowder, babypowder, body wash etc) and says he is going to decorate the bay. He spread this crap everywhere, he was laughing and had us pushing the ground while he was doing it. All the while letting Gomer Pyle know how big of a pos he was. He then ripped everyone's sheets off and starts throwing mattresses on the floor.

Translates into making better soldiers and helps train you to be better soldiers both mentally and physically.

whistlin_wings
State Moderator

Postby sampsonhuntin » Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:53 am

What you don't understand is there are 3 reasons that happened. 1) it reinforced checking after your buddy and making sure he was right. 2) it taught the guy to not take the easy way out, he left it unlocked so when his alarm went off he didn't have to fumble around with his lock, he could reach right in and grab his gear. 3) it taught Gomer Pyle that he needed to be responsible and held accountable for his actions.

Prison Is My Futre

sampsonhuntin
hunter

Postby whistlin_wings » Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:50 pm

So why is that acceptable in boot camp but not in a fraternity? For the record I have no issue with it just seems very similar and your rationale is the same.

whistlin_wings
State Moderator

Postby Maxlow3507 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:13 pm

D.I.s are trained to know how much they can push someone.. And pretty sure that when I was at basic I never had a D.I. Have me pound as much alcohol as I could just for me to make a fool of myself.. Their job is to break you down to build you up.. In a frat it's just bros trying to get back at the next guys for the crap they went through.

Maxlow3507
hunter

Postby sampsonhuntin » Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:23 pm

Because frats don't get deployed to combat zones. Sorry, but there is no comparison.

Prison Is My Futre

sampsonhuntin
hunter

Postby whistlin_wings » Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:44 pm

Just trying to see how having to do push ups for forgetting to lock a locker prepares you for a combat zone and isn't hazing.

And military guys don't have to be told to pound alcohol because they'll do it on their own.

whistlin_wings
State Moderator

Next

Return to The Honey Hole