Duck Hunting Forum banner

Hows your garden doing?

7K views 152 replies 22 participants last post by  Indaswamp 
#1 ·
Mine, I started picking beans this week, broccoli is almost done, put a few bags in the freezer for the winter. Potatoes are flowering, picked my 1st cherry tomatoes this week, mortgage lifters, cherokee purples and wisconsin 55s have some nice sized tomatoes on them, but not ripe yet. Carrots arent doing worth a dam this year, less then half the pack came up. Garlics almost ready, harvested 2 bunches of oregano, have dill growing all over the place in the garden. Planted some giant pumpkins with my grand-daughter, supposed to get up to 500 lbs., they seem to be doing good. Not seeing much for bugs in the garden yet this year. Anybody ever grow big pumpkins? Got any tips on how to get the bigguns? No cherries on my trees this year, no pears, very few apples, lost a honeycrisp apple tree in a windstorm. Got enough strawberries to make jelly and some shortcakes for the kids. Rhubarbs still going strong. :smile:

#2 ·
Am in Champaign. Started getting cherry tomatoes, peppers last week. Sweetcorn needs a week or so.
Had to stand my corn back up after storms a couple weeks ago.
Roma, big boy, and best boy tomatoes are loaded but just fattening up and green.
Next few weeks is going to be busy canning and freezing stuff.

Grew 45 tomato plants this year. Five varieties.

It rained 3-4 inches in the last 3 hours this morning and...where is the summer heat?
Cmon, we need some july weather and its too cool n wet.

#3 ·
My small one is doing good, collected enough peppers, onions and tomatoes last week to make about 4 quarts of salsa

9 varieties of peppers, tomatillos and 6 varieties of tomatoes, throw in some onion and garlic, it makes really good salsa

#5 ·
Very dry here. So far I've gotten several squash, zucchini, and a bunch of cucumbers. Picked one ripe cherry tomato yesterday!!!!! Broccoli, cauliflower, and Brussel sprouts all crapped out on me. Got a bit of a late start but the dryness isn't helping at all

Sent from the heart

#9 ·
10 gallons of tomatoes off 27 plants, with more still on the vines. will be picking for another 2 weeks or so. Planted bell peppers late, starting to flower now after cutting the tops off to make them bush out. purple hull peas will be in mid august. cutting ~2 cups of shallot tops every week or so...

figs are coming in like crazy right now, still have 2 trees to pick.

#10 ·
Worst year in a long time. Spring was so wet I was almost a month late getting stuff planted. Even then I had to till when the soil was a little too damp just to squeeze planting in between rains. Had about 50% failure on corn and cucumbers sprouting. Tomatoes are so-so. Peppers and basil doing well and I have an ass-ton of blackberries. Very frustrating overall.

#11 ·
Those blueberries sure look good. Ive been trying to grow some for a few years with no success. I bought some more bushes last year and planted them in a different area of the yard. They grew pretty good but the dam rabbits chowed em down last winter. Theyre coming back this year so I put a fence around them. Hey Swamp, what do you do with all the figs? Cant say that Ive ever tried them. Other then a Fig Newton.

#13 ·
Boocephus said:
Those blueberries sure look good. Ive been trying to grow some for a few years with no success. I bought some more bushes last year and planted them in a different area of the yard. They grew pretty good but the dam rabbits chowed em down last winter. Theyre coming back this year so I put a fence around them. Hey Swamp, what do you do with all the figs? Cant say that Ive ever tried them. Other then a Fig Newton.
If your going to grow blueberries your soil must be very acidic. When planting new bushes you must mix your soil with 50-75% spagnated peat moss and keep your hole 2'x2'. And during the growing season add more acid from year to year. I use miracle grow for acid loving plants plus a organic mix to increase acid and fertilize. Also mulch with pine bark. Start with a 2-3-4 year old plants many of the 1 year old plants don't male it.

#16 ·
^^^^Dat's gonna be really good next time I cook Duck Parmesan!! :thumbsup:

BTW, Tips for you fellas that peel your tomatoes...

Use a straight razor to score the bottom of the tomatoes prior to placing them in a hot water bath for 45 seconds. Forget using a knife, razor works much better. The straight blade scraper razors. :thumbsup:

#18 ·
On my second picking of green beans and pea's,corn is coming along very well,cuc's are about to really bust,potato tops are starting to die out,so wont be long and have yukon golds.Tomato's are starting to really set on,tons of blossoms,and the Walla Walla onions are doing very well.
As long as we can stay away from the dreaded hail storms it will be another great garden this year.

#19 ·
I do about a quarter acre garden in northern ohio. Great growing season so far! Being northern ohio i greenhouse start from seed and can't plant in ground till Memorial Day. However, pumpkin and watermelon vines about 6ft long and flowering. Had to replant corn due to crows 1.5 lbs of seed. Tomatoe plants full of bitty green tomatoes beans going well carrots not so much. Planted 150 pumpkin seeds 1 lb bean seeds 40 tomatoe plants 25 watermelon vines. About 2 weeks till the turnips and rape go in for the deer. It's at my property where we're building our new home so I'll get pics when I'm back out there tomorrow.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.