Duck Hunting Forum banner

The Flu

3K views 79 replies 35 participants last post by  jaysweet3 
#1 ·
Over the holidays, 6 out of the 15 family members came down with what I can only describe as flame-breath fire-arse, otherwise know as the flu. It came out of nowhere. Within 24 hours of the first prayer to the porcelain god, 4 more had gotten it. One brother-in-law had the flu shot, and got sick. Another had not had the shot, and came away with a clean bill of health.

Now that I'm not puking my guts out, I started wondering if anyone else had gotten sick over Christmas, and how effective the flu shots really are.

#3 ·
go get the bird said:
Over the holidays, 6 out of the 15 family members came down with what I can only describe as flame-breath fire-arse, otherwise know as the flu. It came out of nowhere. Within 24 hours of the first prayer to the porcelain God, 4 more had gotten it. One brother-in-law had the flu shot, and got sick. Another had not had the shot, and came away with a clean bill of health.

Now that I'm not puking my guts out, I started wondering if anyone else had gotten sick over Christmas, and how effective the flu shots really are.
This is exactly why I don't get the (FLU) shot.
I think I put a thread on here last year relating to that same thing.
See if I can find it.

#5 ·
There has been an outbreak in kids around this area. The shot does not seem to be covering these early season strains. However, those that did get the shot/mist did have much shorter timelines than those that did not.

#6 ·
I got a touch of something about a week ago. Heavy thick sinus discharge/congestion, body aching all over, maybe a little fever. Was like that a couple days, straightened up for a day or two, then it had me about three more days. Doing good now though.First time I've had so much as the sniffles in 6-7 yrs, maybe more. I refuse flu shots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#7 ·
lot of folks getting it around here.....apparently the flu shots haven't been very effective this year because it was the wrong strain or it mutated or something. trying to pick the right strain for the flu shots is like trying to hit a moving target. luckily all the folks getting around here seem to be having only a mild case and are getting over it pretty quickly.

#9 ·
My 84 year old Mother is going through it.Started out as a touch of bronchitis and went full blown flu in not time,she is on Tamiflu and is getting better.We have had quite a few reported cases around here.
It's that time of the year. :sad:

#12 ·
OGblackcloud said:
OHIODUCKA5 said:
I got the shot. While y'all are sick, I won't be.
The shot does not work prepare to become violently ill
PFFFTTTTT. I won't get sick. Ask the resident DHC doctors. They tell you to get the shot, so I do. If the tell me how to fix an outboard or drive across a levy, I'm gonna have my doubts.

#13 ·
OHIODUCKA5 said:
I got the shot. While y'all are sick, I won't be.
Probably less than 50% of the time, every one I know who has the flu had their flu shots,so I guess money well spent for nothing.

#15 ·
Well...there is THE Flu.....and there is "A" flu......
Got to be careful throwin those terms around.
I'm on my second antibiotic and my second course of prednisone (as is my wife and a few friends) for a nasty nasty sinus thing.
Major blowing, post nasal, chest cough and congestion for a month!.....
Not the flu

#18 ·
t_baker said:
I've had it for the past two days. Saturday had a headache, Sunday I felt funny on the lake, came home and pretty much died. Today has been better but I kept myself busy. Now that I'm home and sitting still I feel the downward spiral.
Please Lord listen to Slack!
HOT HOT HOT showers....LONG and BLOWWWWW
Musinex......sleep...Guiness.....MEAT dinners....
REPEAT.....

ASLAMALECHAM my brother! :thumbsup:

#19 ·
Slack Tide said:
Well...there is THE Flu.....and there is "A" flu......
Got to be careful throwin those terms around.
I'm on my second antibiotic and my second course of prednisone (as is my wife and a few friends) for a nasty nasty sinus thing.
Major blowing, post nasal, chest cough and congestion for a month!.....
Not the flu
This has got a slight hold of me right now. About 11 days of flem production so far. Felt like someone threw me down and jumped on my chest a week ago. Started out as sinus drainage down the back of my throat.

#21 ·
I have got a cold that zaps the energy from the bones I felt like death on Christmas Day I hack up green brown stuff but feeling better. Pissed off the boss by phoning in sick day after Christmas. Anyhow what if I did't live near lots of people would I still get sick?

#23 ·
I'm not sick! :banana:

I take a flu shot every year. I figure riding in an airplane around 100 times per year puts me at risk. So far I haven't had the flu in 14 years of traveling for work. Maybe I'm just lucky. Maybe the flu shot has helped. I'll keep taking the flu shots.

#25 ·
rxgac said:
Remember, influenza is primarily a respiratory disease not intestinal. If everyone got it at the same time, may have been food poisoning.
Roger that, my doctor told me there is nothing called the 24 hour flu that people keep saying they get. He said you get the flu for two to three days really bad and it tapers off for a week. Sometimes mild symptoms for two weeks. He said 24 hour flu's are food poisoning that people think are the flu.

Its food posioning or a form of gastroenteritis.
http://www.webmd.com/parenting/features/the-truth-about-stomach-flu

#26 ·
I've been real luck so far this year. I make dentures for a living, I'm in and out of peoples mouths. I always get something. So far, I'm cool. Used to get the shot every year, took a couple years off. Got one this year, seems to be working.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.