Duck Hunting Forum banner

Education

462 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  DC KILLER 
#1 ·
First Thanks to Alan warren for trying to make a difference todays world of ignorant anti hunters.

"Thank you for your interest in Outdoor Education.

I sincerely believe the single biggest threat to fishing, hunting and conservation is the apathy and ignorance of a majority of young people. This is neither good nor bad. It is simply the TRUTH.

There are tens of millions of teenagers today who have never been in a boat, never caught a fish, never seen a shooting star, never been on a camping trip nor have they ever even seen a deer (and they don't care to)!

Why would kids want to do these things?

They don't know anything about them!

On a personal level, I believe that human beings who have been exposed to Nature, those who have a "connection" with Nature... are more grounded as individuals than those with no knowledge or personal relationship with the outdoors.

In general, Nature lovers (anglers and hunters) have first hand knowledge of the NATURAL world (away from computers, video games and the internet). They know that meat comes from an animal dying and not from a Styrofoam package at the grocery store.

A relationship with nature is not a virtual relationship. It is REAL. Things really live, they really die and there is no "reset" button (to start over).

While technology is a wonderful thing that has certainly made our lives better, it has also served to isolate young people from the outdoors.

Do you see many kids playing outside in your neighborhood? I don't. Do you see them building forts, riding bikes, climbing trees? I don't.

What are they doing in the afternoons???? In general, it is NOT spending time outdoors.

If we want to preserve fishing and hunting for future generations, if we want to protect fish, wildlife and the environment, it is imperative that young people have some exposure to nature and the outdoors.

Exposure to nature is what Outdoor Education is all about. The purpose is NOT to make them anglers. It is NOT to make them hunters. It is not to teach them what to think. It is to teach them HOW to think.

It is to EDUCATE them and provide a "spark" that could ignite a young person's true interest in nature. Will they become hunters or anglers? Personally, I don't care.

But I do care that our youth knows something about nature and the outdoors. They can best learn this by first hand experience (NOT by playing video games).

According to most educators that I know, the vast majority of schools today are focused on getting their students to "pass the State test"; NOT to teach them critical thinking skills that will stay with them their entire life and it is certainly NOT to teach them about things such as nature.

Like it or not, "Man" is a part of nature but technology and today's affluent lifestyle have insulated our young people from the very place from which mankind evolved.

Without a first hand knowledge of nature, without "experiences" in nature, it is impossible for someone to love nature.

The goal of Outdoor Education is to provide students with a glimpse into nature and to encourage them to explore the great outdoors.

Many programs are available across the country and I work closely with groups that are committed to making "Outdoor Education" curriculum and classes available nationwide.

If you believe that young people will benefit from an Outdoor Education, by developing a relationship with nature and from their own personal outdoor experiences, I invite you to join my growing army of supporters.

We have thousands of "troops" in every corner of this country and we are laying the groundwork for a movement that will bring the importance of Outdoor Education to the attention of educators everywhere.

We are working to produce curriculum as well as a Start-up Kit and DVD's that will help you better understand the dynamics of the education system. It will help you with some of the dos and don'ts regarding the "approach" you may want to take in contacting and presenting Outdoor Education to your local educators.

Outdoor Education is not about selling fishing tackle and hunting equipment. It is NOT about catching bass nor is it about shooting a big buck.

This movement is about taking our kids back and reconnecting them with nature. With your support, we'll do it.

So what can you do right now? Send me an email, let me know something about you and your connection to your area schools.

Are you interested in becoming a volunteer? Would you be willing to meet with others in your area who are similarly interested in getting an Outdoor Education curriculum in their schools?

Would you be willing to take materials provided to your local school and present them to teachers, administrators or the PTA?

Some people think that the future of our country is in jeopardy. They don't see a need for people to be connected to nature.

I disagree. I am optimistic about our young people and about nature (including fishing, hunting and conservation of our renewable resources).

For me, nature sooths my soul, it provides me with a spiritual connection with my Creator. It is not about religion. It is about being "grounded" and recognizing that there is something much bigger (than man) that is "out there".

I believe that the future of fishing and hunting is in OUR hands and that Outdoor Education is the best way possible to build stronger and better educated young people. "

If you wish to help out, just send a blank e-mail to awo@aweber.com to join the mailing list.

See less See more
#2 ·
Hopefully I can be the first to chime in here.

And lets face it folks, the only way the opportunity to hunt, fish, etc, is going to be around in 50 years is if people still want to do it. Trust me, the interest is out there, we just need to give people the chance.

It's about people understanding what we do, yes, but honestly, its virtually impossible for somebody sitting in the heart of NYC working in a cubicle with no intention of getting out to understand what we do. These people see whats on the news and thats it. You can only go so far, but we are obliged to try since thats the majority of the population.

Our non-hunting supporters (rare breed, but they exist) in most cases are people who have been there. They know where we are coming from because they've seen it. You have to get people out there and create outdoorsmen, and it goes way beyond the definition of the word "education"

I come from a graduation class of around 100. I live just outside a town of a shade over 3000 people.

I have one hunting buddy in my grade. We are the only two serious hunters. There are the folks who deer hunt because its the manly thing to do, most of those guys I would not trust with a gun. There are a handful more who enjoy the outdoors on one way or another.

This is in a small town folks, you see more gothic attire than you do hunting and fishing shirts. (I always hold down my end of that deal) Honestly there are more gangsters in this dead little town then there are hunters.

We have no more than 10 people who I would call "sportsmen"

We have people who respect what we do and people who enjoy the outdoors, but these people will not grow into stewards of the land. We aren't looking at people who are going to support conservation with their spare change here guys.

The issue here, is one word. Opportunity.

I am extremely fortunate, I sit on a crapload of beautiful acreage that my dad has worked very hard on and we have more out west. I consider myself probably the luckiest kid alive. The reality is 99% of kids out there don't have the ability to try this stuff out on their own. For those people it takes an adult mentor who is willing to invest a lot of timnger going to cut it. (I'm not sure that it ever has) Very few younge and energy to get those kids into the outdoors. If you don't have land, connections, equipment or at least people to loan you some decoys, a car and gas money, you have a long ways to go if you want to hunt.

It is getting more and more difficult to get into this sport. It doesn't just happen anymore. Giving a kid the notion that it might be fun to try hunting is no longer enough. Very few people have the resources to get into this on their own at a young age. Until a kid is driving and holding a job ($$$) they need an adult or five who want to see them enjoying the outdoors.

There is a shortage of people like this. To those of you working on the next generation, thank you. I have a lot of respect for your efforts and I look forward to having the chance to introduce a kid to the outdoors sometime in the future. We need more of you guys.

If you are my age or younger and reading this- We are the future of the sport. Our ability to hunt 20 years from now is being determined today. If you are fortunate like I am it is easy to take it for granted and assume it will be around when you get done with college. It won't be if people don't get active. I am as guilty as anybody. Face it, there are fewer young outdoorsmen today then there were 20 years ago, and we face many more problems today then we did 20 years ago. We have our work cut out for us.

Edit#2. I want to add something not in my original set of ideas.

Computers, video games, the like. This is where the younger generations are going. You can't stop that. There is no way to stop technology from changing kids but fortunately there is no need either. I spend a lot of time on my computer, too much. I listen to my ipod on the way back from hunting, and I use my cell phone to get the time while I'm out there, it stays in my chest pack for that reason but I'll never take a call. What really counts is that I know whats out there. I've seen the world of the computer nerd and I've seen the great outdoors. I know where I want to be. Anybody who has experienced the outdoors is going to want to be there. 5 hours on this dumb machine one night, the next night I'm down at the pond fishing because I can't take it anymore.

Shoot it might increase a person's appreciation for the great outdoors. Kids just need to see both sides of the story at a young age so they keep an open mind.

#3 ·
i too, come from a somewhat rural background, though that is quickly changing. In my graduating class of around 250 there are only 3 or 4 outdoorsmen, including me. this is idaho, and yet everyone in my school is more concerned with WOW (world of warcraft, which i only learned the acronym last month.) than anything else. i am on the computer quite a bit these days, but if i had access to land out off my back porch like i did 8-10 years ago, i wouldn't be on the computer at all. in school, i bring the fruits of my labor to share with others who don't hunt, i have brought in some of every animal i have taken in the field to share with others in the hopes that they see how valuable that resource is. i also invite others to go hunting and fishing with me all the time. we need to work to preserve our sport, take anyone who hasn't hunted or fished with you when you go, let them get away from the computer.

#4 ·
just saw this topic. you guys took the words right outa my mouth. I love to introduce new people to the outdoors, especially the younger generation. However, it doesnt just have to be the kids that we can introduce to the outdoors. in my opinion, its never too late to make an outdoorsman/woman out of someone.

Ive always been a big hunter/fisherman. its practically what i live for. Its on my mind all day everyday. i often get made fun of from people at my work because it can be all i talk about some days. :rofl:

During college, someone introduced me to duck hunting. Ill never forget that buddy, my first hunt, my first kill (a mixed greeny/wigeon by the way :thumbsup: ). And most of all, ill never quit duck hunting. I learned very quickly my first season because i hunted 40 something days. All of them were with the person who introduced me to it. God bless him for enduring my ignorance at first!!! :rofl:

Point is, if you take someone hunting or fishing who has never been, that person will never forget it and will always appreciate your patience and enthusiam in teaching them.

#5 ·
If you don't have land, connections, equipment or at least people to loan you some decoys, a car and gas money, you have a long ways to go if you want to hunt.
That was my big problem right there, and I think the biggest one. I still don't have a wide variety of hunting buddies. 1 or 2 people only. But I have lots of land. Of course there always some-one wanting to go hunting every day, but only select few I trust. Before I started driving, I had worked my butt off to get the gear. I had brand new gun, waders, deeks etc that hardly got used, maybe once or twice a year. No one hunts birds in my family except my brother, but it's not cool to bring your little brother these days I don't guess.

I was just SOL until I could drive to public land. But it didn't take me but about a year to figure out how to hunt ducks on public. I may have killed 30 birds that whole first year on my own. :rofl:

#6 ·
greenster said:
No one hunts birds in my family except my brother, :rofl:
That is pretty impressive to me in its own right. I had my dad and a number of his good friends who got me into it and taught me how to do it. You don't see a ton of guys with the initiative to do it on their own, especially considering how expensive its getting.

It's about interest in the outdoors. If you have people interested in the outdoors then you will have hunters and fishermen and the like. We need those guys to keep on education people to keep the interest up. Sure you can educate folks today, but you also need to get more people into it so somebody can educate folks in the future.

#7 ·
As someone with a degree in Outdoor Ed, this resonates with me. In schools, community centers and public programs we rarely have the opportunity to TEACH hunting or fishing, but what we can teach through our curriculums will make hunters and fishermen out of some - at the very least my students should become good stewards of the land - who understand the value of a wetland and value the boreal forest - even if they never visit it.

I worked with schools for a time and took every opportunity to portray our sports as valuable piece of our culture. I never once had the opportunity to teach a kid to shoot, but I've seen dozens of teenagers catch their first fish. Sometimes I took the kids to a local marsh just to walk around, and I'd always a keep a duck call in my pocket - thought I never thought about what it meant to others. Well, one day a kid showed up with a cheap call from the sporting goods store. Never hunted a day in his life, but I must have sparked an interest. Later that year he found out some family member hunted and went. Time goes on - I haven't heard from that kid in a few years - hopefully he's still hunting. If not, at least he understands a bit better!

I think the best way to sum up Outdoor Education is this - the college I went to had a program whose motto is "The real classroom is outside: get into it!"
-Erik

#8 ·
Kiskadinna said:
As someone with a degree in Outdoor Ed, this resonates with me. In schools, community centers and public programs we rarely have the opportunity to TEACH hunting or fishing, but what we can teach through our curriculums will make hunters and fishermen out of some - at the very least my students should become good stewards of the land - who understand the value of a wetland and value the boreal forest - even if they never visit it.

I worked with schools for a time and took every opportunity to portray our sports as valuable piece of our culture. I never once had the opportunity to teach a kid to shoot, but I've seen dozens of teenagers catch their first fish. Sometimes I took the kids to a local marsh just to walk around, and I'd always a keep a duck call in my pocket - thought I never thought about what it meant to others. Well, one day a kid showed up with a cheap call from the sporting goods store. Never hunted a day in his life, but I must have sparked an interest. Later that year he found out some family member hunted and went. Time goes on - I haven't heard from that kid in a few years - hopefully he's still hunting. If not, at least he understands a bit better!

I think the best way to sum up Outdoor Education is this - the college I went to had a program whose motto is "The real classroom is outside: get into it!"
-Erik
I like that motto.
Im sure that kid is still hunting.and i promise he'l never forget who sparked his interest. :thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.