Duck Hunting Forum banner

Florida land based shark fishing trip report

884 views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  Duckinsam 
#1 ·
Well I thought I'd post this here to let y'all in on something fun to do in the offseason. A buddy an I went to Florida to do a little land based shark fishing, the first night we caugh this. View attachment 2 View attachment 3
An hour into the trip we get about a 10 foot tiger shark. It was my friends first land based shark fishing trip so he got to reel it it, and it turned out to be a monster. Not only was it a great fish, it had this in it View attachment 1 ]. It had a tag on it issued by Texas A&M Corpus Christi. The odds of catching a tagged tiger shark are less likely than shooting a 10 year old double banded black duck in Texas! It turns out it was the first tiger shark out of 150 tagged since the program began to be re captured and turned in. We're still waiting on info about the shark from the college but know she was big, rare, and hungry for frozen Bonita.

The next night I winch in a 7 foot bull

The third night my friend hooks into something that made his reel scream, and then broke off in a matter of 30 seconds. 40 minutes later, I get something that swallowed a filleted amberjack whole, and went running for the horizon. By the time j get my rod in my hand, I crank it down to about 30 pounds of drag, the shark still pulls another 200 yards of line off at high speed, and then the line proceeded to break. As heartbreaking as it was, it still made for a good trip and something to shoot for next time we make the 15 hour drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Botiz630 said:
HNTFSH said:
Well...there's goes the fun in body surfing. :eek:
I don't go in the ocean. People give me a hard time over it, but I can promise you you'll never hear about Botiz getting eating by a shark.
:lol3:

#10 ·
gock5 said:
Guess my wife won't want the great nieces/nephews going out to the sandbars with me at Perdido Key now...crap!
COCOA BEACH, Florida -- The International Shark Attack File (ISAF) released its 2013 Worldwide Shark Attack Summary today after investigating 125 alleged incidents of shark-human interaction occurring worldwide in 2013. 72 of those incidents were classified by ISAF as unprovoked shark attacks - down from 81 in 2012. The majority of attacks occurred on the sandbars of Perdido Key.

The United States had the most shark attacks world-wide at 47. Australia was second with 10. The 47 attacks in the United States was lower than the 2012 total of 54 recorded attacks (including Hawaii and Puerto Rico), the highest yearly total of the century, according to ISAF researchers from the University of Florida.

#13 ·
Yea where I was fishing there is just one bar. We typically put it right at 200 yards and at that specific spot that's in like 40-50 feet of water. The last day was so calm that we could see that there was like a reef or something just before where we dropped, and another one afterwards so we think putting the bait right at the drop off did the trick

#14 ·
Here in Texas we usually put one ridiculously far so that it's in deep water, and one just on the backside of the last bar, and typically we get them as they cruise the drop offs

#16 ·
I never saw any big sharks while out surfing, just a few small ones. I heard plenty of guys talking about seeing some pretty big great whites while surfing or fishing.

Never forget the day we were getting our stuff ready to go surfing when a special report flashed on the tv, 12 to 15ft great white spotted less than 100 yards offshore. Changed our plans.

#17 ·
sprigs4days said:
I never saw any big sharks while out surfing, just a few small ones. I heard plenty of guys talking about seeing some pretty big great whites while surfing or fishing.

Never forget the day we were getting our stuff ready to go surfing when a special report flashed on the tv, 12 to 15ft great white spotted less than 100 yards offshore. Changed our plans.
The key to surfing in Great White waters is to surf near chum boats. The chum totally distracts the sharks and they'll leave you alone. I know it's true, I saw it on Hawaii 5-0.

#18 ·
HNTFSH said:
sprigs4days said:

The key to surfing in Great White waters is to surf near chum boats. The chum totally distracts the sharks and they'll leave you alone. I know it's true, I saw it on Hawaii 5-0.
Chum boats were for the groms, seal colonies is where the action is at.

#20 ·
sprigs4days said:
HNTFSH said:
sprigs4days said:

Chum boats were for the groms, seal colonies is where the action is at.
:lol3:

#22 ·
Greenhead329 said:
That's pretty cool. Did you get any info on the shark: as far as age, when was tagged etc..

I saw the 1 of 150 post..may have missed the other info
We're still waiting on that info. Out of 14,000 sharks they have had tagged(only 150 being tiger sharks), she was number 3113 so they have to dig up some really old files. They should be sending the info to my friend that was on the trip but he's gonna be offshore on a rig for the next month.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.