Duck Hunting Forum banner

Foolcast.com

584 views 73 replies 32 participants last post by  Boocephus 
#1 ·
What is it exactly you're forecasting?

#3 ·
Fowlcast said:
5. We'll be looking for prostaffers. People to help us update the page with state season dates & links to regs etc. But for now we are just looking for people to start filling out the journal, your use of the journal & the number of times you use it will help us determine who is serious about becoming a prostaffer.

This is the chidt that is ruining the sport. Why does everything have to have a pro-staff? What is the benefit of being a "pro" information updater? Are you actually trying to get stupid people to work for you? Because thats the type of person who responds well to the promise of a pro-staffing position.

Why don't you grow a sack and just call it what it is - free labor. You want others to dedicate time, for free, so your product can be as good as you want it to be with the least amount of effort on your part.

Do you guys have have a team and matching barrel stickers, too?

Pro-staff. What a joke.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

#4 ·
I don't have a website but I'll go ahead and forecast anyway.

They would like to collect all the contact information of waterfowlers and then market to them. That alone is the value behind FaceBook and Instagram and any other service. Expect an uptick in your junk email folder and possibly any hooks into your social media profiles. People in your 'friends' database within either venue will also be sucked out to market to as well.

These types of services only want you focused on what you 'get', not what they want to 'take'.

NOBODY is going to invest in a 'service' without some expectation of revenue return.

So...where Mr. Fowlcast, do you expect to make money with your service? Talk to us about how all that works.

Sincerely,
A Hater

#8 ·
Will the details be available on if I can sleep a little later the day I picked to go based on your forecast? Like what times the birds will fly over my blind? And estimate of how high they are would be helpful too. I blow like hell but can't get those birds 4 miles up to commit to nuthin!

And don't forget to answer my question about how people are paying for this neat thing.

#9 ·
Honestly, I think you have a better chance at predicting lottery numbers than predicting flight behavior, especially without actually scouting. This only encourages weekend-warriors to know less and less about the sport they are participating in.

People are so f*****g lazy.

#10 ·
go get the bird said:
Honestly, I think you have a better chance at predicting lottery numbers than predicting flight behavior, especially without actually scouting. This only encourages weekend-warriors to know less and less about the sport they are participating in.

Who wound you up? lol

#11 ·
OHIODUCKA5 said:
go get the bird said:

Who wound you up? lol
Not wound, just think this is a cyber-scouting mission of epic peoportions wrapped in a guise good intentions.

People will work so damn hard to not have to work. This is wildly apparent here.

FFS, walk outside and check the damn weather. Go scout the birds and see where they are feeding/roosting/whatever.

#13 ·
Amusing. 'pro staffers' ? waterfowl 'teams'? In the first place, migration forecasts aren't worth the effort required to put 'em together. No duck hunter worth his salt needs a forecast(weather or migration) to get him up and out the door in the morning. You can't kill 'em unless you're out there. As for journals, I've kept one (several volumes now) for the past 35 years. It's a big part of the fun of duck hunting.

#16 ·
Fowlcast said:
HNTFSH said:
Will the details be available on if I can sleep a little later the day I picked to go based on your forecast? Like what times the birds will fly over my blind? And estimate of how high they are would be helpful too. I blow like hell but can't get those birds 4 miles up to commit to nuthin!

And don't forget to answer my question about how people are paying for this neat thing.
It is a neat thing, thanks for looking! People are not paying for it, I'll say it again it's completely free. The more people that use it the better the data.

Now regarding your first question: We are working on it, maybe you go out that evening instead of that morning based on an anticipated weather change or what is happening 100miles N. of you. Fowlcast will record the cloud ceiling known as CIG http://w1.weather.gov/glossary/index.php?word=CEILING when you log a journal. That way when you log a journal entry that has lots of opportunities and is ranked "best" you can use that as one piece of all the pieces we are recording to know that you had a great day afield. & If the CGI is low on that day we take that into consideration so the next time those proverbial "stars line up, you can get your butt out of bed".

PS if your blowing birds at 4miles up your probably hunting on wrong days. The next time you go out and stare at a blue sky and not see a bird you can think. Crap maybe that Fowlcast was on to something.

As I said, we love the haters!

We've got nothing to lose.
Nothing is free young man. Just because you don't have a use fee doesn't mean it's 'free'. Had a kid at Best Buy try that line on me the other day on an iPhone 6. We drilled in a little, it weren't 'free'.

But aside from all that - no thanks. Whose to say in three years ya'll won't change your mind and offer a 'Premium Subscription' for all the detailed data you collected from locations.

But I'm just a guy that feels OK taking my chances without logging into a website to see when I should go.

#17 ·
Fowlcast said:
Okay I get it some don't like the "Pro Staff" signature no problem. We'll change it. Ideas?

Simply put, we are two technical guys who love duck hunting & have put a lot of time & effort in building a resource for people to use. The only notifications you'll get are the ones you want. Right now there are none. Period.

We are working on modeling a waterfowl forecast system that uses all the publically available data up and down the flyways to determine where the birds in your region. We are overlaying that with weather data that moves birds south & dozens of other environmental data that may positively or negatively impact your day out duck hunting. The data is out there we are simply putting it together in hopes to help better pick a day to go out hunting.

I am out every weekend during the Illinois season, If I am only going to go out one day out of the weekend & spend the rest of the day with the family I'd like to use more than just weather to make my decision.

If you spend a few minutes & fill out your journal each time you can also see your historical stats. Shots taken, birds bagged, & know where & when you did the best that time last year.

Don't knock it till you try it!
:beer:
Can choad balding be the admin? Who in their right mind give out waterfowl locations to strangers.

#18 ·
Locked&Loaded said:
OHIODUCKA5 said:
What are the Requirement to be on Pro-Staff???

I require 1 free aflliction shirt a month ( one size to small)
Flat bill
Black Hoodie
Barrel sticker (multiple )

I will not haul decoys or be accurate in my reporting, but I'm in
Bruh- I can hook you up with an affliction t-shirt. Got one around here somewhere. Red I believe.
This could work am in.

#19 ·
I think ducks unlimited has a migration app and this site already has state forums for regional cyber scouting before you take a drive...... Where else do you plan to get the data?

I don't look at weather to see if I'm going, I look at weather to see which way I'll be looking and where I'm setting my decoys.....

Good luck with the site though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#20 ·
CaptainLyter said:
I think ducks unlimited has a migration app and this site already has state forums for regional cyber scouting before you take a drive......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was thinking the same thing as I read this. I get one day a week to hunt. Saturday. We don't allow Sunday hunting in Maine and I'm gong to hunt all day Saturday whether anything is flying or not.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.