Duck Hunting Forum banner

To Hunt or Not to Hunt (Etiquette)

218 views 32 replies 20 participants last post by  TrapperRob 
#1 ·
I'm a 17 year old HS student who is teaching himself to duck hunt, this year I got lucky to have late start classes on Mondays and Wednesday. I hunt by myself and don't have a group of buddies to hunt with. My classes start at 9:30 so I would need to be leaving the marsh by 9am, which in turn means that I would probably starting to pack up around 8:30. Would it be wrong of me to hunt and have to leave that early. I don't want to disturb other peoples hunts but I really am trying to learn and I think that weekdays with little pressure would be good... Etiquette opinions?

#5 ·
What a great young waterfowler. :clapping:

Walking in you'd be a douche. Walking out, you have to do what you have to do. Just do the best you can to not disturb.

I was dove hunting a public field on the opener a few years ago. Some young guy (and his girlfriend) had toted a cooler with wheels past us, through the middle of the field, before shooting light. No problem.

But as the genius was leaving, he found it necessary to tote his arse and ugly girlfriend, pulling the cooler, OUT by walking through the middle of the dove field while a dozen or so guys were still shooting birds. :huh:

It was a 250 yard saunter.

Thanks for not being a douchebag. :thumbsup:

#6 ·
I just don't want to be a complete jerk to people around me. I've been out 8 times in two years (killing 2 geese total in those years) and this year I feel like I can finally get out and hunt. But I've read complaints about those kids who have to leave early because of classes on other forums and threads. I really just want to get out and see/learn and if I don't hunt I might just go and watch to see what birds are doing.
Thanks guys!
Edit* Would it be better to hunt closer to the entrances so that I can slip out easier and not disturb the others? I'm not worried about killing birds, just enjoying time outdoors.

#9 ·
HNTFSH said:

Walking in you'd be a douche. Walking out, you have to do what you have to do. Just do the best you can to not disturb.

I was dove hunting a public field on the opener a few years ago. Some young guy (and his girlfriend) had toted a cooler with wheels past us, through the middle of the field, before shooting light. No problem.

But as the genius was leaving, he found it necessary to tote his arse and ugly girlfriend, pulling the cooler, OUT by walking through the middle of the dove field while a dozen or so guys were still shooting birds. :huh:

Oh how that whole scenario would have been perceived differently had the douchebag's girlfriend been hot.

#10 ·
Locked&Loaded said:
HNTFSH said:

Oh how that whole scenario would have been perceived differently had the douchebag's girlfriend been hot.
Hot would have to equal HOT + NAKED. It was. after all, the opener.

#13 ·
All I can say is, There was a group of college students that arrived 30 minutes to shooting time, hunted , and then picked up decoys at 8 Am and then proceeded to walk out on top of the dike about 6 different times 2 years ago. I wanted to kick their young azzes every time. If youre the only guy or group in the area. indeed hunt, but if youre within 300 yards of others, please be considerate and not screw their hunts up.

#16 ·
CaptainLyter said:
This sounds like a good kid. And a very decent name. Just wrap it up or you'll end up like the rest of us.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the compliment on my name. I ran my first hundred straight in the 28Ga event at the state championships this summer and won the event. Also my SCTP team won the Open National Title in Skeet Doubles this summer.

#20 ·
The fact you're thinking this way says all I need to know about your etiquette in the field. I say do your thing man.

Also, you spelled etiquette correctly, which is more than I could ask of most of the teenagers I know. I would vote for you for homecoming king.

#21 ·
Yeah, someone going in and out during prime time disturbs the hunt, sort of. 8:30 is past prime time. Even if there are birds in the air, there's no guarantee, they would have worked that hunter, let alone given a shot.

Kudos to you for being aware, you might be disturbing someone else. But you do your own thing. You bought your license, your not chained to the spot.

#24 ·
Nothing is worse than when the morning birds start returning to the marsh and there is some jackwagon out there banging around picking up decoys for 30 minutes flaring all the birds. Just about as bad as when the dnr decides to go boat-to boat checking guys 15-30 minutes into opening day when the woodies are flying. By the time the guy leaves the birds are done flying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.