Duck Hunting Forum banner

Paging Boatman

161 views 26 replies 6 participants last post by  Boatman 
#1 ·
I have yet another boat-related question.

I just picked up a little 15' polar kraft. It is rated for a max HP of 30, but it has a 4-stroke Mercury 20 HP on it currently. The engine itself runs well, but the boat is a complete turd in the water. If I'm in the boat myself, it takes maybe 10 seconds or more to get up on plane and then once it does it runs fairly well at 23-24 mph per GPS. Once I put a buddy in the boat, forget about it. The boat will absolutely not get up on plane, even moving as much weight as we can up front. With a buddy in the boat, the bow stays high and it just plows water at about 8-9 mph. Initially I would think the boat is just way under-powered, but I've owned a boat that was only a foot shorter with a 8 inch narrower beam that had a 9.9 HP motor on it and that boat would hop right up on plane and run really well.
Aside from moving up to a 30 hp motor, what options do I have to try that might help the boat plane a little easier and run a bit better?

- I'm currently running a 9.2510P prop. Will using a prop with a different pitch make a difference? (I live at 4500 feet elevation and will often fish lakes that are 7500 feet elevation; I'm assuming most outboards come from the factory with a prop for sea level?)
- I've read a lot of positive reviews about the Hydrofoil. Think it's worth a try?

Thanks for any advice!

See less See more
#3 ·
Boatman said:
Hydrofoil and less pitch on the prop. 4 stks are turds more so if they are NOT EFI. You be better off going to a 2 stroke motor.
Thanks! This motor is not EFI. What pitch would you recommend going to?

I agree the 2-strokes run a lot stronger. I want a newer motor just for the reliability. The only manufacture that makes new 2-strokes are the Evinrude Etec, so if the different pitch prop and hydrofoil don't make a lot of difference, I'll check out the new etec.

Thanks, Boatman!

#5 ·
You may only be able to get a 9p but that will help,just checked the book.High altitude will make your motor run richer. You may want to lean the idle out a little for a better hole shot at that altitude.

A 30 etec will bolt that thing on plane. And the computer in the etec will adjust for altitude.

#6 ·
Boatman said:
You may only be able to get a 9p but that will help,just checked the book.High altitude will make your motor run richer. You may want to lean the idle out a little for a better hole shot at that altitude.
Better just Google a boat mechanic in Farmington Utah boatman,and give him that number. He has no idea what you just said.

#7 ·
Boatman said:

A 30 etec will bolt that thing on plane. And the computer in the etec will adjust for altitude.
Thanks, bud. My friend has a 4 blade, 7P prop. I put that on and took it out to run it and although the motor definitely hit higher rpm's, it still ran like a turd and I could not get it up on plane.

I'll go pick up a 3-blade 8P on Monday and give it a try.

Thanks for the help!

#8 ·
OHIODUCKA5 said:
Boatman said:
Better just Google a boat mechanic in Farmington Utah boatman,and give him that number. He has no idea what you just said.
What I understood from that post was "probably better go buy a new 30 etec."

#9 ·
Locked&Loaded said:
OHIODUCKA5 said:
Boatman said:
The rating on that boat, is just a suggestion. You may as well put a 90 hp motor on it and go.

#10 ·
jaysweet3 said:
Locked&Loaded said:
OHIODUCKA5 said:
Boatman said:
The rating on that boat, is just a suggestion. You may as well put a 90 hp motor on it and go.
I've got a 70 HP Yamaha sitting in the garage, maybe I'll give it a whirl.

#11 ·
Locked&Loaded said:
jaysweet3 said:
Locked&Loaded said:
OHIODUCKA5 said:
Boatman said:
Just sit the boys Mama in the bow.

#12 ·
HNTFSH said:
Locked&Loaded said:
jaysweet3 said:
Locked&Loaded said:
OHIODUCKA5 said:
Boatman said:
I did have a 200 lb buddy sit in the bow of the boat and the POS would not get on plane.

#13 ·
Locked&Loaded said:
HNTFSH said:
Locked&Loaded said:
jaysweet3 said:
Locked&Loaded said:
OHIODUCKA5 said:
Boatman said:
I did have a 200 lb buddy sit in the bow of the boat and the POS would not get on plane.
With a 70 hp motor on it?

#14 ·
HNTFSH said:
Locked&Loaded said:
HNTFSH said:
Locked&Loaded said:
jaysweet3 said:
Locked&Loaded said:
OHIODUCKA5 said:
Boatman said:
With a 70 hp motor on it?
:lol3: No with a 20 HP. The boat is only rated for a 30. Moral of the story, don't buy a merc motor.

#17 ·
Locked&Loaded said:
:lol3: No with a 20 HP. The boat is only rated for a 30. Moral of the story, don't buy a merc motor.
Never been a Merc guy but that's only because Dad was always an Evinrude guy. It does seem all the lake front motor boats running around I've seen it's the Merc that won't start though.

#18 ·
I just ran a brand new 25 HP evinrude etec on this boat and :eek: dang the difference is incredible.

Those etecs are pretty bad-A motors.

Gonna run the 30 HP on it tomorrow, but I've been told the difference between the 25 and 30 is nominal and probably not worth the cost difference of about 800 bucks.

#19 ·
Locked&Loaded said:
Boatman said:
Hydrofoil and less pitch on the prop. 4 stks are turds more so if they are NOT EFI. You be better off going to a 2 stroke motor.

I agree the 2-strokes run a lot stronger. I want a newer motor just for the reliability. The only manufacture that makes new 2-strokes are the Evinrude Etec, so if the different pitch prop and hydrofoil don't make a lot of difference, I'll check out the new etec.

Thanks, Boatman!
When did Yamaha stop making 2-strokes? I'll be a sad panda if that's true.

#20 ·
Greenheadindy said:
Locked&Loaded said:
Boatman said:

Thanks, Boatman!
I believe they stopped making them in 2011. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

#23 ·
jaysweet3 said:
Locked&Loaded said:
OHIODUCKA5 said:
Boatman said:
Good advice here,what I was thinking. :clapping: I run a 18x60 and run a 140hp on it, plate says 90hp, so that's why I agree. Just paint it camo, who will know.

#24 ·
Boatman said:
jaysweet3 said:
Locked&Loaded said:
OHIODUCKA5 said:
Boatman said:
Good advice here,what I was thinking. :clapping: I run a 18x60 and run a 140hp on it, plate says 90hp, so that's why I agree. Just paint it camo, who will know.
:lol3: Dang! With my luck, I'd go 5 hp over the rating and tear the transom off and kill everyone in the boat.

#25 ·
Locked&Loaded said:
Greenheadindy said:
Locked&Loaded said:
Boatman said:

Thanks, Boatman!
I believe they stopped making them in 2011. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
Well damn it. Can we still smuggle them in from mexico at least?

#26 ·
Locked&Loaded said:
Boatman said:
jaysweet3 said:
Locked&Loaded said:
OHIODUCKA5 said:
Boatman said:
:lol3: Dang! With my luck, I'd go 5 hp over the rating and tear the transom off and kill everyone in the boat.
That's what insurance is for. Do it and forget about them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.