Duck Hunting Forum banner

Need Some Duck Retrieving Advice

370 views 76 replies 34 participants last post by  bighop 
#1 ·
Not sure where to post this. If this isn't the right place let me know and I will move it.

I picked up a few new beaver ponds this year to wood duck hunt in. The bottom of the ponds is to muddy to walk in. You literally sink to your knees in the mud and are stuck when you get in. Looks like we are gonna have to bank hunt it.

The problem is retrieving the ducks. The ponds are so far in the woods there is no way to bring a decent size boat in.

I can't use the dog because the ponds are so alligator infested. Here in central Georgia it stays so warm most of the season they are almost always out and about.

I could get a small canoe or a small jon boat in but I would have to carry it every time depending on which pond I hunted.

The other day at D_ck's I saw a float made to drag your decoys in while you put them out. I am not sure if it would float a person or not poling it around to pick them up and I don't think it had any flotation if it did turn over.

Any suggestions?

See less See more
#2 ·
A cheap fishing rod/reel comes to mind... clip on a Rapala, Smithwick's Devil Horse... or some other plug with lots of treble hooks. Throw it past the duck and foul-hook it... and reel it in. The vision of water teeming with gators tells me to stay out of the water at any cost. :yes:

#3 ·
I forgot to put that in. It worked well on the one pond that is relatively clean. (Plus would be good practice for fishing season)

The ones that hold the most ducks is full of stick ups, lilly pads and other assorted lure grabbing stuff.

I'm with you on staying out of the water. One of the boys that deer hunts there watched one of the gators grab a large feral hog and drag it into the water and AWAY last year!

#6 ·
Professor_Leakey said:
get a cheap canoe and leave it out there...chained up/brushed when you're not hunting.
Think that's about it. Know I wouldn't try kneeling in a jet sled. :lol3: Might not even do a canoe with 'gator infested waters' with fresh kills splashing into a beaver pond. :eek:

#9 ·
HNTFSH said:
Professor_Leakey said:
get a cheap canoe and leave it out there...chained up/brushed when you're not hunting.
Think that's about it. Know I wouldn't try kneeling in a jet sled. :lol3: Might not even do a canoe with 'gator infested waters' with fresh kills splashing into a beaver pond. :eek:
That was my question basically. I have never used a jet sled if that's what it's called. I didn't figure it would be to stable.

#14 ·
sampsonhuntin said:
Guys in south Louisiana, and Florida hunt with dogs. Do ya'll have a new breed of gators in GA?
I watched an alligator catch a guys dog one year in Lake Seminole. It was his retriever and a family pet also. No, the gators are not different. Some people just think more about their dogs than others.

#15 ·
duurmeehr said:
sampsonhuntin said:
Guys in south Louisiana, and Florida hunt with dogs. Do ya'll have a new breed of gators in GA?
I watched an alligator catch a guys dog one year in Lake Seminole. It was his retriever and a family pet also. No, the gators are not different. Some people just think more about their dogs than others.
To each his own.

#16 ·
sampsonhuntin said:
duurmeehr said:
sampsonhuntin said:
To each his own.
It's pretty clear this chump has little regard for dogs.
I'd be happy throw Sampson's azz in with the gators just to hear him scream like a little girl!
:lol:

#23 ·
HNTFSH said:
I wanna see some utubes. You guys fill the pond with hungry gators and then show us how to use a jetsled across the pond to get a wood duck.
If he is that worried about the amount of gators in that pond why even hunt it? I'm sorry but if it is too risky taking a jet sled out to retrieve a duck wouldn't the risk of sitting right on the edge of the pond in the weeds with the dead ducks sitting right by you be equally as dangerous to a hungry gator?

#24 ·
UncleTork said:
HNTFSH said:
I wanna see some utubes. You guys fill the pond with hungry gators and then show us how to use a jetsled across the pond to get a wood duck.
If he is that worried about the amount of gators in that pond why even hunt it? I'm sorry but if it is too risky taking a jet sled out to retrieve a duck wouldn't the risk of sitting right on the edge of the pond in the weeds with the dead ducks sitting right by you be equally as dangerous to a hungry gator?
You obviously have more ducks available to you than we do down here.

A few hungry gators aren't gonna stop us from hunting some ducks!!!!

I ain't worried about falling out of a boat and the gators getting me, I am worried about getting my hair wet if I fall out.

Haha

#25 ·
sampsonhuntin said:
duurmeehr said:
sampsonhuntin said:
To each his own.
Tim Terrell said:
It's pretty clear this chump has little regard for dogs.
100% correct. I even fantasize about clubbing baby seals.

Tim Terrell said:
I'd be happy throw Sampson's azz in with the gators just to hear him scream like a little girl!
:lol:
Come at me bro. You and the rest of the trailer park should jump in, cleanse the family gene pool.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.