Who Must Yield?

• The car on the highway must yield to the car on the entrance ramp

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • The car on the entrance ramp must yield to the car on the highway

Votes: 61 98.4%

Road Rules

236 views 43 replies 30 participants last post by  jaysweet3 
#1 ·
There is a common driving scenario that I have always believed was pretty cut and dry. However, I've recently learned that there are many people out there who think I'm the crazy one, so I pose the following question to the DHC Brain Trust.

When it comes to an on ramp on the highway, whose responsibility is it to yield: The person driving down the highway, or the person who is driving up the entrance ramp?

Please cast your vote.

#6 ·
Professor_Leakey said:
why is this even in debate? the person on the ramp is supposed to yield...although the person on the highway should move over a lane if theyre able to as a courtesy. the people in my state have zero clue about the rules.
I agree, but after having an incident on the road the other day, I've been asking around, the number of people who have told me that they believe the person on the highway has to move out of the way prompted me to ask the question here.

#7 ·
Botiz630 said:
Professor_Leakey said:
why is this even in debate? the person on the ramp is supposed to yield...although the person on the highway should move over a lane if theyre able to as a courtesy. the people in my state have zero clue about the rules.
I agree, but after having an incident on the road the other day, I've been asking around, the number of people who have told me that they believe the person on the highway has to move out of the way prompted me to ask the question here.
People are stupid.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

#8 ·
go get the bird said:
Botiz630 said:
Professor_Leakey said:
Most People are stupid.

fify

#12 ·
Papachessie said:
go get the bird said:
Botiz630 said:
Professor_Leakey said:
Most People are stoopid.

fify
fify

#13 ·
Professor_Leakey said:
^ Bingo
Around here as well there is no such common knowledge that is how it works.

#14 ·
MinneKans said:
Depends on the state. Minnesota requires motorists entering the freeway to yield. I believe California is the opposite.
Nope... Cali has no requirement that motorists yield to merging traffic. The guy on the ramp is supposed to gauge their acceleration to merge into / onto the freeway safely. A Chippy can cite the guy coming on for unsafe merge if they just blast out onto the freeway without matching traffic.

#15 ·
I've noticed in PA there are a LOT of entrance ramps that dump you immediately into the right hand lane. There is no 'merging'. Some of them loop around and you can't see this as you accelerate around the last bend to enter the highway.

#18 ·
Botiz630 said:
I need to know who the 1 opposite vote was.
Right click on your survey, go to inspect element, go to profiles, click on heap management, load info, find IP address of all in survey, compare ip with that of list in profiles, click on profiles and user name will come up. :thumbsup: Won't work with tapacrap, have to use pc.

#20 ·
KyFowl20 said:
This also bugs the crap out of me. People on the ramps fly out like they have their own separate lane. Makes me soooo angry.

Sent from the heart
That's not as bad as the numbnut who's going down the ramp at 40 mph looking for an opening in the 70 mph flow of traffic to merge into. Ain't gonna happen. Get up to speed and slide into an opening. If you're lucky someone who's actually paying attention will move over to let you in with no disruption of traffic flow.

That said, I'm convinced that 60% of the people driving haven't got a clue. Probably don't even know there are written driving rules. And 30% are texting. That leaves 10% that actually know what they're doing.

#24 ·
Here is what I've noticed about woman drivers.....

When you grow up tinkering around with bike chains and the stuff that most boys play with....you learn an understanding of things like gears, momentum, leverage etc. This interest in such things translates to a better understanding of how a car operates. What's going on in the engine, how momentum works, you understand that the guy in the giant garbage truck that's downshifting on the ramp would love to merge and not come to a stop to avoid having to gear all the way up again....you understand that stomping the gas means money and stomping the brake means wear and tear....
Of course there are good woman drivers out there and lousy men drivers. But I've always thought that the childhood boys generally have is what contributes to a better understanding of the car itself and how to operate it...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.