Scouting

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, lostpup, #1wingnut, steve-o, Preacher1011, La. Hunter

Scouting

Postby Benelli Slinger » Thu Aug 04, 2005 4:05 am

im scouting some new river land tommorow, kinda new to river hunting alone, what should i look for? and should i think about altering the landscape to improve my hunting ie pulling some weeds to make more open water, slighty daming it so i can adjust the waterlevel...give me some feedback on what you guys prefer, what to look for, and what i should do. thanks
Benelli Slinger
hunter

Postby H-2-O-FOWL » Thu Aug 04, 2005 4:20 am

The first thing to look for is where the ducks are sitting on the river. Is it in a bend? I ussaully try not to open areas up on the bank I hide in the brush or weeds that are there or bring more there to hide in. Are you going to set up in one place or walk the river and jump shoot? I also try and find where they fly over land. I don't have a dog so i have to go get my ducks. There is nothing worse than climbing down a river bank, wading out to where you thought the duck was then seeing it floating down the riverabout 100 yards away from you. Oh there is one thing worse than that . Doing all that then stepping in a deep spot and going into water over your head.
H-2-O-FOWL
hunter

Postby Benelli Slinger » Thu Aug 04, 2005 4:25 am

alright, the river im gonna be hunting is about 2 feet at its deepest, but its around a half mile wide with all its fingers, its heavily vedged out, i went down there today thinking i could just wade in shorts and see how it looked, but decided to take a rain check and come back with my waders, ive hunted river before, just never alone
Benelli Slinger
hunter

Postby H-2-O-FOWL » Thu Aug 04, 2005 4:35 am

Are you going to just stay in one place or jump hunt the river? Don't forget that come this fall and winter allot of that heavy vegation is not going to be there
H-2-O-FOWL
hunter

Postby Benelli Slinger » Thu Aug 04, 2005 7:59 am

i plan on having a few spots, nothing perminant, but if the birds are somewhere ill jump them, ill adapt to however i can get my killin in
Benelli Slinger
hunter

Postby shrpshtr » Thu Aug 04, 2005 8:12 am

great question benelli. i'd like to have this info too!
Talk 'em into givin' up!

It's easier to get forgiveness than it is permission!
shrpshtr
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Thu Aug 04, 2005 8:33 am

Same here shrp. I plan on trying to hunt the big rivers this fall for the first time. So let's get some info rollin on this one.
gsphunter
hunter

Postby H-2-O-FOWL » Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:09 am

First you want to find the spots the ducks like to use. This might be a bend in the river or it could be a place where the water is deeper and slower. I use a piece of camo burlap on broom handles for a blind if i am going to stay in one spot or move to different spots. I don't hunt this river until all the little ponds freeze. I don't use decoys for two reasons the first is the water is to deep,fast and cold. #2 is the spots i go to I know the ducks want to be there so they will come with or without decoys. i try to find where the ducks go over the land to approach these spots so that i don't go in the water after them. At my favorite spots I can tell you what time the ducks will be there and if they are using those spots . The best thing you can do is go to the river and spend time there. I have been hunting and fishing these spots for years. If you don't see ducks there now go back and check them later in the year. I don't hunt the river here until mid december because the ducks are not there until then.
H-2-O-FOWL
hunter

Postby Benelli Slinger » Fri Aug 05, 2005 4:43 pm

ok scouting is almost completed, i have seen most of the land, i think im going to try tohunt this small slow moving stream about 500 yards away from the river thats full of duckweed as opposed to the faster moving river, do you think this is a good choice or a bad choice
Benelli Slinger
hunter

Postby firebird » Fri Aug 05, 2005 5:17 pm

I've hunted Neb. twice on rivers both times although farther south than it sounds like you are. Two thoughts- Private property is going to be an issue, it may not be posted now but gets that way in a hurry this fall, especially as many farmers lease out their property to hunting guides. The second is to scout later in the year, especially after the first really good freeze up which is when your rivers get damned good! I would have 3-4 good sites selected and get permission now so if someone else moves in on you, there is a back up plan. We killed woodies, hoodies and cans there along with geese and mallards, I am envious of you!
There is no help for this kind of insanity. I'm just a duck hunter, and should not be held accountable for all my actions between October 1st and freeze-up. Gordon MacQuarrie
firebird
hunter

Return to The Honey Hole