a rat with wings

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, lostpup, #1wingnut, steve-o, Preacher1011, La. Hunter

What are pigeons to you?

Rat with wings
46%
Training tool
43%
something to complain about
11%

Total votes : 28

a rat with wings

Postby choclab » Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:10 pm

I was at the river today working Maggie on her steady, and then I heard a whole bunch of shootin' going on about a half mile away. So being a curious duck hunter I drove over there when I was done with Maggie. I came up on three guys sittin' on lawn chairs shootin' pigeons. Pre-season shooting was my guess. We got to talking about birds and what not, and he says "pigeons ain't nothing but rats with wings". I was kinda taken back by what he said. All I could think of was what a wonderful dog training tool the pigeon was. Maggies first bird was a pigeon, and her steading tool was pigeons. I think pigeons are a wonderful bird that meets my needs and Maggies needs. It is true that they can be a bother sometimes, but with the right tactics they can be managed and kept out of buildings. Then the guy asked me what the whistle around my neck and the platform hanging out of the truck was for and it all made sence. :yes:
"The rich....who are content to buy what they have not the skill to get by their own exertions, are the real enemies of game". Teddy Roosevelt
choclab
hunter

Postby Quackcephus » Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:23 pm

They can take a place over that's for sure... many will meet they're demise on Sep 1... the dove opener... folks 'round here call 'em Rock Doves. They'll work a field over when it's been planted or tilled & that's a great opprotunity to work the dawg. :yes:
Quackcephus
hunter

pigeons

Postby choclab » Fri Aug 05, 2005 12:14 am

I wasn't really aware that they would pick a field over. We really don't have a problem with that here i guess. All we really grow is alfalfa and timothy. I can see how people what call them rats. Learn something new everyday. :oops:
"The rich....who are content to buy what they have not the skill to get by their own exertions, are the real enemies of game". Teddy Roosevelt
choclab
hunter

Postby bullet » Fri Aug 05, 2005 5:51 am

We call em, Rats with wings. I purchase mine from a local exterminator.
He traps them outside supermarkets.
Their last destination is my wifes Kiity Kennel :laughing:
bullet
hunter

Postby JJ McGuire » Fri Aug 05, 2005 6:28 am

Good eating! :thumbsup:
JJ McGuire
hunter

Postby H-2-O-FOWL » Fri Aug 05, 2005 6:55 am

When i was younger we had them all over the place here. They made nice practice targets. Then the city posioned them. We were over run with them. It was not hard to get support for this idea because at this time you need an umbrella to walk through town. Piegon poop is worse than goose poop.
H-2-O-FOWL
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Fri Aug 05, 2005 9:18 am

Well I voted training tool, but in my opinion they are rats with wings. I could honestly never eat them, because I go catch them under overpasses where they are filthy birds. Pigeon crap everywhere and the smell is terrible.
gsphunter
hunter

Postby Bret » Fri Aug 05, 2005 9:19 am

well..... They work good as a training tool, and common city pigeons don't do much for me. I raise pure bred papered racing homers. A line my granfather has developed since the end of world war 2. these birds are awesome. I have taken them 500 miles from my house and relesed them they get home fast. It also makes for some cheap upland training you can plant birds let the dog find and point them flush them call hen and let them fly home to use another day. Shoot a couple on occasion and it works as a good system for training pointers. Racers are much more beautiful in flight than comons and when they come into the coop after a long flight they remind me of mallards coming into the blocks.

I like my birds.

Bret
Bret
hunter

Postby DROPDUX » Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:14 am

how come "something to shoot in the off season" isn't an option? :yes:
DROPDUX
hunter

pigeons

Postby choclab » Fri Aug 05, 2005 11:13 am

That should have been an option. What was I thinkin'?? I didn't know the birds were that bad. We don't really have problems with them over here. Well i guess I know now, and knowing is half the battle... :toofunny:
choclab
hunter

Postby puddlerjumper » Fri Aug 05, 2005 11:24 am

Starlings are my training tool for ME. I use them as targets. You talk about picking a field over.
puddlerjumper
hunter

Postby donell67 » Fri Aug 05, 2005 11:26 am

rats with wings.
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

Postby puddlerjumper » Fri Aug 05, 2005 11:27 am

I wish I could find a place out here with some pigeons.
puddlerjumper
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Fri Aug 05, 2005 12:33 pm

:withstupid:
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby mallardman77 » Fri Aug 05, 2005 1:52 pm

I voted training tool, but they are pretty tasty too :thumbsup:
Is it september the 8th yet???

mallardman77
hunter

Postby HuntingWife » Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:22 pm

Rats with wings, but if you ask me, seagulls are even more obnoxious.

:thumbsdown:
In God we trust, all others must show ID.
HuntingWife
hunter

Postby Greg Wile » Sat Aug 06, 2005 5:16 am

They are tastey and a great toll whether for training the dog or shooting practice. I voted training tool. This reminds me that one of the farmers that allow us to hunt his fields and pond wants some pigeions and starlings irradicated. They roost in his barn and crap all over the hay.
Build memories, take a kid out doors and teach them about nature by interacting with it, hunting and fishing.

Learn from the past, don't dwell on it.
Greg Wile
hunter

Return to The Honey Hole