What did everyone do this weekend?

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, Preacher1011, steve-o, La. Hunter, #1wingnut, lostpup

What did everyone do this weekend?

Postby ACEBLDRS » Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:13 pm

Well, it was pretty slow around here this weekend, other than shrp showin us his breast. :mrgreen: So, i figured that we all had some good and bad stories of our busy weekends.

I drove way to far to an over hyped waterfowl sale. I had a lot of fun hangin out and talking to people that i have known for a while, and meeting new people. There was a duck calling comp sat. with the winner getting $1200 cash, 2 tickets to Stuttgard AR for the world champion ship calling contest, with paid entry. Also a 2 day hunt sponsored by a boat company no :spam: (been yelled at by admin2 to much lately) :mrgreen:

As far as the sale, it was not much of a sale. The great deal was on Kent Faststeel. case for $90. Everything else was normal pricing if not higher. I looked over my catalogs before i went so that i would be able to recognize a good deal when i saw one.

Buck Gardner and Jeff Foiles were both there. It was really cool to see those guys just talking to everyone , while tuning calls for everyone. They are each just some normall guys.

All in all, a good weekend. other than the fact that it was frikin 106 deg. yesterday. I thought my flip flops were gonna melt.
.....you've got to ask yourself a question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?

Dirty Harry

Die' en ain't much of a livin' son.
ACEBLDRS
Spoon Bill hunter extraordinaire

Postby gahunter » Sun Aug 07, 2005 7:06 pm

Went to the Buckarama in Atlanta. It was cool just to walk around and see all the crap. I talked to the RNT guys and bought me a quack head timber.

Last night some dumb ass flipped his car over in a big creek that was way up due to the rain. In the process he sheared off a telephone pole and dropped the lines in the creek. We couldn't do anything until the power company got there and cut off the power. I then climbed down and search the car, nobody. We then flipped it over and searched again, nobody. We looked all over, nobody. One of the doors had been open, but wasn't jarred open. A witness said that they saw the driver get in a truck with somebody, but of course they didn't bother to tell anyone. I haven't heard if they ever found out who's car it was. But either way it was sooo much fun :thumbsdown: looking around and in a car in chest deep water, with fire gear on. Woo-friggin-hoo! It was a relief to know that whoever it was walked away from it. :thumbsup:
If the hunting is cold, luckily so is the beer!
gahunter
hunter

Postby Cobra » Sun Aug 07, 2005 7:30 pm

Went and aired out the waterfowl gun on some crows. Had'nt shot it since Feb. and our early resident goose season opens 9/1. 6 crows in 8 shots felt good. The skeeters and deerflys were mega thick so I didn't stay long (45 mins) after leaving the bug spray at home.
Cobra
hunter

Postby liv2hunt » Sun Aug 07, 2005 7:53 pm

Wow, wish our crow season was open. I have to wait until 10/15 to shoot those nasty boogers.
liv2hunt
hunter

Postby Trois_beaux_canards » Sun Aug 07, 2005 8:11 pm

I scouted a couple of areas in the northern part of the state. found a nesting pair of mallards hopping back and forth between two lakes. Also found a little hole on the property I usually hunt deer. Some trees had fallen, so I didn't get to scout the rest of that. Too much bushwhacking in too much heat and mosquitos. the horseflies weren't any better.
While explaining my afternoon to a gas station owner, he said his land had a good little pond with a few woodies, and said i could hunt it for teh fall. He also said he'd butcher our deer.
Talked strategy and gear with my cousin's husband. Him and I will be doing most of our duckhunting together this year.
Trois_beaux_canards
hunter

Postby mallardman77 » Sun Aug 07, 2005 9:42 pm

Got out fishing with an old friend from highschool yesterday. The conversation was much better than the fishing but we were sill able to get a couple of goldeye for the smoker.

And of course today was the NASCAR race at the Brickyard so most of today was spent in front of the T.V.

:salude:
Is it september the 8th yet???

mallardman77
hunter

Postby Quackcephus » Sun Aug 07, 2005 9:57 pm

I ate dinner with the Duck Commander & helped to raise some serious JACK for ducks (Delta Waterfowl Dinner) Friday evenin'... even got ol' Phil to autograph an issue of Delta's magazine, the one with a big ol' BANDED GREENHEAD on it, for cooters son who's in Navy bootcamp. :yes:

Saturday met the TAX DEDUCTIONS out for a weekend getaway. :thumbsup:
Quackcephus
hunter

weekend

Postby choclab » Sun Aug 07, 2005 10:20 pm

I got yelled at by a whiney little land owner today. I was training Maggie on the river (which is posted D.N.R. land with a map and a sign of a little guy with a GUN!!!) and he came out screaming and hollering. He had to walk 50+ yards from the parking lot, and he yelled the whole damn way. He said that we shot over his house and peppered it (which he said last year) but we were shooting the COMPLETE opposite way. The land owner said that it was his land and the sign was wrong because the D.N.R had not paid him money for it. He came up all huffy and puffy and asked where my shotgun was. I pointed to it on the ground and I told him "go ahead and grab it, see what happens". He decided he wanted to leave and call the sheriffs' dept. So I called my buddy who is a sheriff and guess who responed to the call?? :laughing: My buddy, it was so funny, I told him that I didn't want to press harassment charges and that he needs to get used to seeing my ugly, bearded, pissed off face ALL DUCK SEASON.
"The rich....who are content to buy what they have not the skill to get by their own exertions, are the real enemies of game". Teddy Roosevelt
choclab
hunter

Postby gunman » Sun Aug 07, 2005 11:13 pm

HAHAHA nice......
My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am.
--------------------
Hunters are alot like Birdwatchers. Only after watching while, we start shooting!
gunman
hunter

Postby gunman » Sun Aug 07, 2005 11:18 pm

I had to work all weekend, and had to deal with another bad car accident sat. night. It of course involved alcohol.......didn't record the race on Sunday, so I missed it all! :pissed: stupid timers..........anyways, the only good thing I got done was the diagrams for my boat blind, when I get it all done in the next couple weeks I’ll start a thread regarding it....with LOTS of pictures.......anyways that’s about it.....-Chris
My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am.
--------------------
Hunters are alot like Birdwatchers. Only after watching while, we start shooting!
gunman
hunter

Postby H-2-O-FOWL » Mon Aug 08, 2005 6:26 am

Saturday morning I ran my sawmill . I cut some nice oak and cherry lumber. It statrted to get to hot around noon so after lunch I worked in the garage. Pulled a motor out of a pickup. Sunday morning I finished the oak and cherry up. Ended up with 500bft of some nice lumber. After lunch it was back to the garage. Pulled another motor to put in the pickup. Got all the parts switched around. Going to put it all back together today.I did have alot of geese flying over both days.
H-2-O-FOWL
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:56 am

Had a great weekend. Alot of you remember my buddy Tyler's fatal accident a few months ago. Well we had a benefit golf tournament yesterday to raise scholarship money as well as a DU benefit. Saturday we BBQ'd for it. After the BBQ, we all headed up to the bar up the street after we had already been drinking all day. Let me tell you, there was some high class karaoke going on in there. :cool:

My dad bought a duck hunt at the auction that was held at the golf tourney too. I've never hunted any clubs before, so this should be a great experience and it's supposed to be a really good one in the area too.
gsphunter
hunter

Postby wa.duckhunter » Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:05 am

My whole weekend pretty much consisted of honey do's.
wa.duckhunter
hunter

Postby wiwoodie » Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:03 pm

Worked the Dog Saturday morning at the club. and the yard Saturday after noon (Grass cutting, Bush triming, etc.) Then Sunday worked on painting all my Blue bill decoys I burlaped over the winter. also worked on the boat getting a list on what needs to be replaced as far as blind material(Grass is looking pretty bad)
wiwoodie
hunter

Postby ol' yeller » Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:22 pm

I had a wonderful weekend. :thumbsdown:

Besides trying to stay out of this heat and humidity I managed to buy a new pair of dress shoes for a job interview, buy decorations for my upcoming wedding/reception and saw Wedding Crashers. What fun.... :help:
ol' yeller
hunter

Postby Admin2 » Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:32 pm

Oh Lordy, Yellars hunting days are numbered for sure now. :laughing:

The Deputy riding shotgun
Admin2
hunter

Location: lurking around the corner keeping an eye out for trouble makers

Postby DROPDUX » Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:50 pm

I was treated like a snot nosed, irresponsible child in the firearms department at basspro on saturday. I told a store manager about the unacceptable behavior of the "sales" associates upstairs and left. I noticed him following me. My brothers and I got to the front of the store-he stopped me and asked for his merchandise back. I looked at him like this: ?????????. I was so steamed :pissed: . I started pulling crap out of my pockets. I am currently writing the store manager a nasty email. I have decided I don't like that place anymore. I can't wait for cabelas.
DROPDUX
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Mon Aug 08, 2005 1:49 pm

I went scouting. Little to no ducks on the river. Went fishing saturday night. Had flocks of geese flying over me, 20 in a group and about 6 groups. I know where I'm going when the season opens. :getdown:
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ol' yeller » Mon Aug 08, 2005 3:55 pm

admin2, luckily I annoy her just enough that she wants me out of the house during duck season. :laughing:

Seriously, we've been together for 5 years and have lived together for 4 of those. I told her on our 5th or 6th date (when things started getting serious) that I'd been fishing and hunting a lot longer than a knew her and to not expect me to give either one up. To this day there are no problems with me wanting to do either one and she actually loves the duck hunting prints that are all over the house.

I can, however, send her from 0 to Pissed Off in about .2 seconds when I pull out either a duck or goose call. :laughing:
ol' yeller
hunter

ace

Postby choclab » Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:00 pm

Hey ACEBLDRS, how did Aces' OFA go? I think it was the OFA, right?
"The rich....who are content to buy what they have not the skill to get by their own exertions, are the real enemies of game". Teddy Roosevelt
choclab
hunter

Re: ace

Postby ACEBLDRS » Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:58 pm

choclab wrote:Hey ACEBLDRS, how did Aces' OFA go? I think it was the OFA, right?

vet said that his hips looked good. I will get the official OFA rating in a few weeks or so. They will tell me whether they are excellent or good or whatever.
.....you've got to ask yourself a question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?

Dirty Harry

ACEBLDRS

Postby kiwismakebetterhunters » Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:00 pm

Caught some nice river rainbow trout and found me a new place to live.
New Zealand

kiwismakebetterhunters
hunter

ace

Postby choclab » Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:25 pm

Well I hope Aces' hips turn out excellent. So I'll keep my fingers crossed for ya.
choclab
hunter

Re: ace

Postby ACEBLDRS » Tue Aug 09, 2005 12:35 am

choclab wrote:Well I hope Aces' hips turn out excellent. So I'll keep my fingers crossed for ya.

Thanks. Don't know if i will breed him, it is just good to know that he is in good condition. :thumbsup:

Dirty Harry

ACEBLDRS

Return to The Honey Hole